U.S. Ladies [#9]: Battle to/in Boston

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

As poorly as Zhang did, there isn't really anyone else aside from Jessica Hu who earned more points. And Caroline's withdrawl won't allow Hu to go to nationals, because they are in different sections.

Hope she finds a coach between now and January, though.

2. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Huh? What? She's coach less??

ETA - Yasmin needs to rethink her approach to skating. She has a lot to offer in terms of musicality and presentation, but despite being healthy, her technique fails her. Maybe she is one of those skaters that needs to go to a coach that will strip down her jump technique and rebuild it. I think Jenny and Dave on TSL made remarks about her technique on an older skatecast and why she can't go clean

3. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Caroline was pretty terrible in the FS. Only two triples and they looked < to me. It looks like her technique on the 3F has regressed somewhat. She's extremely slow and the program is empty. I don't think she'll place top 10 this year...I didn't see Peter or Karen in the K&C with her but they were at the competition. Caroline sat by herself while she waited for the marks and then got up and walked out the door before they finished announcing her scores...

Rachael wasn't too much better. Nowhere near the level she needs to be to compete but she skated decently considering the level of skating in the competition.

4. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Not at the Novice-Senior level, no.

Posted back on May 24, 2013 in one of the past U.S. Ladies threads:
    Winning Eastern Sectionals as a first year "no-name" Senior is a HUGE accomplishment for Franchesca Chiera! :)

5. valyrian

valyrian New Member

Rachael was a lot better than Caroline. The program is definitely not great but she skated it with charm and conviction. Watching Caroline made me sad.

I love Yasmin but she needs a serious technique overhaul. I don't like how Mitchell and Johanssen teach jumps. They always look sort of scratchy and muscled.

6. Sylvia

Copying over from the Flatt thread in GSD - observations by someone who watched their programs in person at Pacific Coast Sectionals:

7. Sylvia

From Tom Zakrajsek's public Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...07283997998.1073741831.424453407653386&type=1

8. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Yeah I was wondering who Franchesca was also! Good scores for someone with no name yet.

9. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

To be honest, it's Mark's and Peter's coaching of jump technique like Jenny pointed out in their TSL video. None of the senior ladies they've coached have had good jump technique (from Katrina Hacker to Brittney Rizo to Yasmin). On top of that, none of them can do anything harder than a triple loop (besides Yasmin). Christina is different because someone else gave her her jumping foundation. At this point, I doubt Yasmin would change coaches to do that. Didn't she say she doesn't really care about going to the Olympics or really be successful as a skater? I thought she said she's just skating because she likes it and competitions are more of an afterthought.

Mark and Peter are great in terms of packaging and really getting their skaters to feel the music, but jumping wise... That's a mess for them. Even Ross' jump technique is kind of scary with all the force he puts on his jump takeoffs. And Wikipedia said that Ross went to them when he was younger to fix his jump technique... I wonder how much worse it was before that...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  10. toddlj

toddlj Well-Known Member

We were having this discussion over in the Sectionals thread, and I'm bringing it over here... Who do we think will end up with 4CCs?

If the US is required to name a 4CC team and three alternates before Nationals (this was what they had to do 4 years ago), and they already have said they will not send the Olympic team to 4CC, I wonder if they would leave Wagner off the 4CC list entirely, and assume she will be going to the Olympics and/or Worlds? Would they do the same for Gold?

Would they consider promising junior-eligible ladies like Edmunds and Wang?

Also: Some are wondering if Mirai would decline 4CCs if this is her last season... but I haven't heard a peep about Nagasu retiring anytime soon. She's only 20 and isn't planning on going off to college. Why wouldn't she want 4CC if she doesn't get worlds/Olympics?

For reference:

Current WS rank:
    (4) Wagner
    (7) Gold
    (12) Gao
    (15) Zawadzki
    (22) Nagasu
    (30) Cesario
    (34) Hicks
    (52) Wang

Current SB rank:
    (3) Wagner
    (8) Gold
    (12) Chen (Jr)
    (14) Nagasu
    (15) Gao
    (16) Cesario
    (17) Edmunds
    (25) Glenn (Jr)
    (26) Zawadzki
    (29) Cain
    (30) Hicks
    (35) Wang

11. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Caroline's mule kick looks worse than ever. I thought she had fought so hard to correct that, yet there she was, hacking away at the ice. She was very lucky to be competing out of the weakest Sectionals group.

12. jlai

jlai Title-less

If I were USFSA I would add F Chiera to ISP and send her to a sr B, just in case she does well enough at nationals and you don't wanna end up skipping her for assignments for lack of a qualifying score. That said, I am not sure if USFS is always so forward thinking. :(

13. hoptoad

hoptoad Well-Known Member

My guess is that (if the 4CCs team needs to be named before the competition ends) USFS will have a straightforward procedure that makes no assumptions about who makes the team. IIRC last time they simply asked eligible skaters what events they wanted to be considered for. I remember Wagner said she did not want the 4CC assignment, but I don't remember about Flatt or Nagasu. I hope they don't publicly pre-judge the event.

I can see Wagner making the same decision again. I think all the other skaters would/should choose to compete at 4CCs though. I would submit the first six senior skaters who want to go by SB score: Gold, Nagasu, Gao, Cesario, Edmunds, Zawadski. . . .

I think that's the most fair thing, but I also hope Cain has at least a shot at 4CCs since she's not eligible for Jr. Worlds. If Edmunds finishes in the top three, I think she'll go the Olympics, but otherwise I'd send her to Jr Worlds.

14. Flying Camel

Flying Camel Member

I was just looking at Chiera's scores and wondering that. USFSA does not think like that. She probably won't be able to go anywhere regardless of how she skates at nationals. She will be 18 before she gets to the senior GP.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  15. jlai

jlai Title-less

I suspect Chiera won't get an assignment before nationals. If she places top 8, THEN she'll get sent to a sr B in March. But no Jr world or 4cc for her even if she does well :(

16. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies ├╝ber

According to her ISU bio, Cain was born July 22, 1995. Doesn't that make her junior age eligible per ISU rules this season and next?

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00012260.htm

17. Sylvia

Yes. Cain was listed as a JGP alternate this fall before she was assigned to Nebelhorn. She will still be 18 on July 1, 2014, so is ISU Junior age-eligible through the 2014-15 season.

18. hoptoad

hoptoad Well-Known Member

Thanks, I didn't realize that Cain was still Jr eligible!

19. Flying Camel

Flying Camel Member

This is one area in the system that needs to be fixed. That is awful.

20. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

They sent Marley/Brubaker to Nesquik cup in January, since they needed the min scores and were too new to get an assigmnent in the fall, good thing too since they skated in FCC a month later thanks to having the scores. They weren't in the ISP, at least not online, either. So they've done it before.

21. jlai

jlai Title-less

Thanks for the info.

I suspect USFS needs to submit a long subs list to 4CC before Nationals is over given the fact that 4CC is in late January. So Chiera is most likely not gonna be eligible for that one even if she places top 6.

22. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Prospective entries to 4cc are due on 12/30/13. I think in 2010, USFSA submitted like 8 skaters for both men and ladies, and more than 3 pairs and dance teams. I expect they will do the same thing this year.

I'd be surprised if they submitted Chiera's name before she's earned the international minimum.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

USFS had said the skaters going to the Olympics would not go to 4CCs.

So I guess judging by their standing and their season so far, the names under consideration should be:

Nagasu, Gao, Zawadzki, Hicks, Cesario, Wang, Edmunds etc.

In fact, even 4CCs will be quite jammed with these bottom of tier 1 or top of tier 2 skaters (and they all medalled / skated well enough this season) that I think they will likely leave Wang and Edmunds to Jr Worlds no matter how they skated at Nationals.

24. Sylvia

Hurray! An article about 2014 Eastern Sectional Senior Ladies champion Franchesca Chiera! http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2013/11/26/64222788
    Excerpt:

25. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

26. toddlj

toddlj Well-Known Member

27. toddlj

toddlj Well-Known Member

I will have to go back and look, but I think they were allowed to submit 6 names (not 8) last year. And I agree they won't submit Chiera; but they may regret it if she pulls off a surprise appearance in the top 6-8 at nats (which she appears capable of given her scores last weekend.)

28. Ageless

Ageless Member

Isn't Karen injured? I thought that was why she withdrew from from the JGP Final.

29. Sylvia

Yes, but there hasn't been official word yet about her withdrawing from Nationals. The fact that she is not listed on the Nationals roster published today seems to indicate she has withdrawn from Nationals. If I hear anything "official," I will post.

30. toddlj

toddlj Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.