U.S. Ladies [#9]: Battle to/in Boston

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Caroline's mule kick looks worse than ever. I thought she had fought so hard to correct that, yet there she was, hacking away at the ice. She was very lucky to be competing out of the weakest Sectionals group.
  2. jlai

jlai Title-less

If I were USFSA I would add F Chiera to ISP and send her to a sr B, just in case she does well enough at nationals and you don't wanna end up skipping her for assignments for lack of a qualifying score. That said, I am not sure if USFS is always so forward thinking. :(
  3. hoptoad

hoptoad Well-Known Member

My guess is that (if the 4CCs team needs to be named before the competition ends) USFS will have a straightforward procedure that makes no assumptions about who makes the team. IIRC last time they simply asked eligible skaters what events they wanted to be considered for. I remember Wagner said she did not want the 4CC assignment, but I don't remember about Flatt or Nagasu. I hope they don't publicly pre-judge the event.

I can see Wagner making the same decision again. I think all the other skaters would/should choose to compete at 4CCs though. I would submit the first six senior skaters who want to go by SB score: Gold, Nagasu, Gao, Cesario, Edmunds, Zawadski. . . .

I think that's the most fair thing, but I also hope Cain has at least a shot at 4CCs since she's not eligible for Jr. Worlds. If Edmunds finishes in the top three, I think she'll go the Olympics, but otherwise I'd send her to Jr Worlds.
  4. Flying Camel

Flying Camel Member

I was just looking at Chiera's scores and wondering that. USFSA does not think like that. She probably won't be able to go anywhere regardless of how she skates at nationals. She will be 18 before she gets to the senior GP.
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  5. jlai

jlai Title-less

I suspect Chiera won't get an assignment before nationals. If she places top 8, THEN she'll get sent to a sr B in March. But no Jr world or 4cc for her even if she does well :(
  6. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies ├╝ber

According to her ISU bio, Cain was born July 22, 1995. Doesn't that make her junior age eligible per ISU rules this season and next?

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00012260.htm
  7. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Yes. Cain was listed as a JGP alternate this fall before she was assigned to Nebelhorn. She will still be 18 on July 1, 2014, so is ISU Junior age-eligible through the 2014-15 season.
  8. hoptoad

hoptoad Well-Known Member

Thanks, I didn't realize that Cain was still Jr eligible!
  9. Flying Camel

Flying Camel Member

This is one area in the system that needs to be fixed. That is awful.
  10. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

They sent Marley/Brubaker to Nesquik cup in January, since they needed the min scores and were too new to get an assigmnent in the fall, good thing too since they skated in FCC a month later thanks to having the scores. They weren't in the ISP, at least not online, either. So they've done it before.
  11. jlai

jlai Title-less

Thanks for the info.

I suspect USFS needs to submit a long subs list to 4CC before Nationals is over given the fact that 4CC is in late January. So Chiera is most likely not gonna be eligible for that one even if she places top 6.
  12. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Prospective entries to 4cc are due on 12/30/13. I think in 2010, USFSA submitted like 8 skaters for both men and ladies, and more than 3 pairs and dance teams. I expect they will do the same thing this year.

I'd be surprised if they submitted Chiera's name before she's earned the international minimum.
    Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

USFS had said the skaters going to the Olympics would not go to 4CCs.

So I guess judging by their standing and their season so far, the names under consideration should be:

Nagasu, Gao, Zawadzki, Hicks, Cesario, Wang, Edmunds etc.

In fact, even 4CCs will be quite jammed with these bottom of tier 1 or top of tier 2 skaters (and they all medalled / skated well enough this season) that I think they will likely leave Wang and Edmunds to Jr Worlds no matter how they skated at Nationals.
  14. Sylvia

Hurray! An article about 2014 Eastern Sectional Senior Ladies champion Franchesca Chiera! http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2013/11/26/64222788
    Excerpt:
  15. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

16. toddlj

toddlj Well-Known Member

17. toddlj

toddlj Well-Known Member

I will have to go back and look, but I think they were allowed to submit 6 names (not 8) last year. And I agree they won't submit Chiera; but they may regret it if she pulls off a surprise appearance in the top 6-8 at nats (which she appears capable of given her scores last weekend.)
  18. Ageless

Ageless Member

Isn't Karen injured? I thought that was why she withdrew from from the JGP Final.
  19. Sylvia

Yes, but there hasn't been official word yet about her withdrawing from Nationals. The fact that she is not listed on the Nationals roster published today seems to indicate she has withdrawn from Nationals. If I hear anything "official," I will post.
  20. toddlj

toddlj Well-Known Member

21. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

I hope she would be considered (considering also how well the other contenders do at Nationals). IIRC, after Ross Miner withdrew from his first Nationals as a Senior he was named to the Junior World team because he had had such a strong fall season, though he ended up withdrawing from Junior Worlds also.
  22. Sylvia

Karen Chen's name has been added to the Junior Ladies roster as a Bye: http://www.usfsa.org/content/2014 qualifiers.pdf

However...
    In the blog comments, "fractured ankle" (hearsay) is mentioned by others but NOT confirmed by Karen herself. If a fracture is in fact involved, then her status for Nationals may still be up in the air. Only time will tell, of course.

If she ends up not competing at Nationals, I think it's possible she will be considered, depending on how well she recovers and also how others skate in Boston (as RFOS mentioned above).
  23. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

Thanks, Sylvia. I'm glad to see that she's not out yet.
  24. toddlj

toddlj Well-Known Member

For senior ladies there are 21 participants at Nationals. This is a very deep field.
    19 (!) of those ladies have achieved minimum scores to compete internationally; only Forte (she competed last internationally at Skate America in 2011) and Chiera (has not competed internationally) have not.
    Forte and Chiera are also the only two who aren't in the ISP.

Eastern
    Kiri Baga (SC of Boston)
    Franchesca Chiera (Panthers FSC)
    Joelle Forte (SC of New York)
    Yasmin Siraj (SC of Boston)

Midwestern
    Mariah Bell (Rocky Mountain FSC)
    Ashley Cain (Stars FSC of Texas)
    Barbie Long (Illinois Valley FSC)
    Hannah Miller (Lansing SC)

Pacific Coast
    Rachael Flatt (St. Moritz ISC)
    Leah Keiser (All Year FSC)
    Vanessa Lam (All Year FSC)
    Caroline Zhang (All Year FSC)

Bye
    Samantha Cesario (SC of New York)
    Polina Edmunds (Peninsula SC)
    Christina Gao (SC of Boston)
    Gracie Gold (Wagon Wheel FSC)
    Courtney Hicks (All Year FSC)
    Mirai Nagasu (Pasadena FSC)
    Ashley Wagner (SC of Wilmington)
    Angela Wang (Salt Lake Figure Skating)
    Agnes Zawadzki (Broadmoor SC)
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  25. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

^ Wait, Kiri is now at the SC of Boston?!?! Since when?
  26. Sylvia

27. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

This summer. She started studying at Simmons College this fall, I believe, so SCOB is the closest skating rink to her college in Fenway. Also, I think she and Toth stopped skating together this summer so Kiri was then free to go to college and train where she pleased, and Boston was obviously a good choice for both.
  28. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Mark and Peter do not tech good jump technique. They never have. Their students are WELL-TRAINED aka they do lots of run throughs which usually leads to decent consistency, and they are packaged well, so that's why SCOB skaters have done reasonably well and some quite well, but none of them really have good jump technique unless they are imported from somewhere else (eg. Gao and Baga, who had all the triples before they came to Mark and Peter). Training hard and doing lots of runthroughs will only take you so far if your jump technique is average at best, which is what we're starting to see with Yasmin and Ross IMO. They are trained and in-shape, but the teknik is just not reliable and the result is jumps that don't happen in competition. I also think Christina's jumps looked better under Orser, save the 2a (which still has a weird technique) and maybe the 3lo (though I attribute this more to her doing 3lo more now as she includes it in her SP), even though her consistency, physical strength, and stamina seem better under Mark and Peter. SCOB has some pretty good pairs coaches though so Yasmin could be a promising prospect for that, although being a lefty won't help matters at all and I think she's about 5'2" now so it's not like she's super tiny anymore.
  29. BmcC102

BmcC102 Active Member

Courtney Hicks just won an event over Miki And: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mz-MUHTV40

Holy cow, IMO, her triple lutz is really the best of all current ladies skating, Gracie included. Hers is high, fast, covers a lot of ice, and has a smooth, fast, flowing landing. Love it! Both of her lutzes scored postive GOE. The second lutz in particular was fantastic. Her jumps are starting to remind me of my favorite jumper of all time, Midori Ito. :)
  30. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

Re: Courtney....there is no merit to enormous jumps under this system if you can't show a solid/flowy and controlled landing (for GOE and impact). She hooks the landing of every jump but that pretty lutz, she shows little to no body control on most landings, and the effect of the jumps is marred significantly. That hurts when her largest merit in skating is her jumps, after all.

Midori had those enormous jumps, but she could control them and show solid outflowing landings that did not hook. Massively impressive that Midori was able to achieve such a feat. I wish that Courtney could hone that ability!
  31. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Those are huge, high lutzes!! Hope the judges don't ignore her at Nationals.......but I'm not holding my breath.
  32. OnyxRose81

OnyxRose81 Active Member

Hicks has the jumps but little else. I'd rather watch Alissa just stroke across the ice.
  33. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Bless Alissa. But if skating were just all stroking, she would still succumb to nerves. Ten seconds into her program she would slid across the ice like Bambi with her gangly legs up in the air, very unladylike, and then hit the boards with a big thud.

Skating is a sport. Courtney has a lot of improvements to be made but I love seeing her fearless jumping out there on the ice. Good for her. I'm still not rooting for her to take that third spot though. :lol:
  34. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Loved that from Courtney. She looks much less frenetic. Hope she skates that was at Nats.
  35. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Not me!
  36. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

With the exception of Alissa, everyone with any sort of rep has made it to Nationals. I hope it's an interesting, exciting competition.

Polina is skating as a Senior at Nationals, eh?
  37. Maofan7

Maofan7 pacem dare occasionem

38. apatinar

apatinar New Member

Just watched Courtney skate - my goodness she is so sloppy! After this season, she needs to get into a dance class and work on her basic skating!
  39. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

^^^
    THIS! Courtney is a lovely girl but she's a jumper. Nothing more going on for now.

^^^
    And THIS!
  40. OnyxRose81

OnyxRose81 Active Member

LOL at your first sentence. This is true.

I agree that skating is a sport but CH needs so much more refinement before I'm okay with her getting on any Olympic teams.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.