U.S. Ladies [#9]: Battle to/in Boston

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Edmunds reminds me of a young Agnes Z when she first won the jr national. big jumps but not much else and awkward.

2. MrLucky

MrLucky Active Member

When has Ashley ever "brought it" at the most important events? :rolleyes:
    Did she bring it at 2010 Natls?

Did she bring it at 2014 Natls?

What about her multi-trips to Worlds and GPF? Did she bring it at those events?

Alissa at least managed to win a GPF and came one missed jump from a World's medal.

Why would anybody say "even if Ashley finishes 10th she will be put on the Olympic team." Based on what?

Treating Ashley like a multiple Worlds or Olympic medalist like Michelle or Sasha is my definition of insanity. :eek:

3. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Well-Known Member

From twitter:

4. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Ashley's miskate last night was going for the Librarian look.

5. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

who isn't on the team?

6. Mirai4life

Mirai4life New Member

Damn, i must say that woman is the biggest Ashley fan out there

7. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Would Ashley be forgiven for taking "Polina's spot" or "Mirai's spot"?

8. Alwaysaway

Alwaysaway New Member

Whomever it is, they had better be compensated. Something like 4CC, Worlds and a SA14 host pick. Nothing in the world will make up for a shattered Olympic dream but they need to do something. Flowers and a condolences card don't count.

9. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Yes. Have you not been reading the posts on this forum and that USA Today article and all that sentimental write-ups? Even the experts on ice network and what not and U.S. officials are all too obvious about their support for Ashley being named. It's stacked in her favor.

Anyway, congratulations. If they don't name Denney/Coughlin on the Olympic team, then it's a little more obvious who the USFS was playing favorites with.

10. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Yes. Any sane skating fan knows that with all she has done for the U.S the last 3 years it was always her spot, not theirs to begin with. She should have been given her plane ticket before Nationals.

11. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

This settles it. But who's OFF the team? That's even bigger news ...

12. MrLucky

MrLucky Active Member

So US skating once again departs from the realm of sport and regresses back to the world of Dog Shows and Beauty Pageants. :mad:

Long live the "back room deals" and may USA be cursed for a decade with a lack of major Intl medals in Ladies skating for such a miscarriage of sporting justice.

13. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Did you read the criteria? Ashley met it better than Polina or Mirai.

I'm so nervous for both those girls.

14. olympic

Good Lord. Control yourself. IT has been discussed ad nauseum in this thread and many other threads that more than Nationals placements determine the team.

15. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

What was done that was so wrong? They used the existing criteria that has been in place for a while for the team selection. Nationals does not guarantee a spot to Olys or Worlds.

16. judgejudy27

Yes Ashley hasnt been the best U.S skater for the last 3 years. Ashley would so win a beauty pageant too. :lol: If people are even willing to consider Mirai being sent over Polina, then Ashley is a non consideration in the discussion.

17. MrLucky

MrLucky Active Member

Thought this was worth repeating:

"So US skating once again departs from the realm of sport and regresses back to the world of Dog Shows and Beauty Pageants.

Long live the "back room deals" and may USA be cursed for a decade with a lack of major Intl medals in Ladies skating for such a miscarriage of sporting justice."

18. bek

bek Guest

You can't compare Meissner's international recorded with Mirai's IMO. Also I want to point out that Hacker technically didn't have a whole lot going jump wise. Polina has some of the highest technical content in the world.

19. VIETgrlTerifa

I think what people are talking about this is the rare time in which they used criteria to determine the team. Using results outside Nationals results is almost never done outside a medical bye, so the USFS invocation of other competitions shows that they only do it for skaters that they support. That's where some people see the politicks and discussions, and the playing of favorites.

I think it's quite clear, but obviously people are too happy about the decision to see how this was only applied for Ashley (and Meissner in 2008).

20. judgejudy27

Usually scoring at Nationals is political enough if a big favorite blows they will still finish high enough to make it by their finish at Nationals. Even more usually said skaters never skate poorly enough at Nationals to possibly place that low anyway. This is a rare case neither happened, and thus why the rare exception was made. I cant think of another recent example it would have even been justified. Maybe for Abbott in 2011, but he hadnt had a very good season so his case wasnt as strong.

21. olympic

22. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

But I cannot think of another time where it would have been necessary to consider? If you look at past Olympics, 1994, 1998, 2002, 2006, 2010 was the person off the podium at nationals body of work so good it was worth considering bumping someone? Only time it was was in 2006 with Kwan/Hughes.

23. zoe111

zoe111 Active Member

So happy for Polina and Ashley! What a nail biter

24. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Well-Known Member

Mirai's off..

25. VIETgrlTerifa

I just think people's arguments have just just been post-hoc justification. Well, congratulations.

26. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Poor Mirai.. but I think this is the strongest team that USA can put together.

27. bek

bek Guest

While I see your point Ashley has had a really strong international season for the last two years, and Mirai not so much. She medaled at the GPF.

28. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

Great team! Congrats to them!

29. judgejudy27

The only case I see for Mirai is IMO she should have finished 2nd at Nationals. Polina's PCS were too high for her current level of skating. However with the National results as they were, the decision was correct.

30. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

My heart broke for Mirai.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.