U.S. Ladies [#9]: Battle to/in Boston

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlai

jlai Title-less

I dnt know where to put this. There was a Wall Street Journal article about ice skating that mentioned J J Starbucks yesterday

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Thanks for the heads up - I started a thread in GSD :): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...a-trying-to-ice-dance-with-JoJo-Starbuck-quot

Kiri Baga withdrew from the JGP Final in November 2010 amd kept her bye to 2011 Nationals (though she ended up withdrawing from Nationals as well) - USFS' press release: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=45345&type=news

ETA:
    Christina Gao shared this photo via Instagram: "Team USA ladies take on Paris!" #TEB2013 @SammiCesario @AshWagner2010 http://instagram.com/p/gshYkMJjW3/

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  3. Flying Camel

Flying Camel Member

Wow, such a nice photo. Three nice looking ladies. I hope they skate well regardless of the placement. I hope they get to do some shopping. What's Paris without shopping !

4. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

Now that's my USA ladies olympic dream team right there! :swoon:

5. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

What a cute picture. Does Ashley wear glasses? I think I've seen Christina wear glasses before but not Ashley.

6. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Active Member

ITA! My favorite US ladies by far. :)

7. littlefeetsk8

littlefeetsk8 New Member

I second and third that!! Wish we all had a say in it:p

8. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

My dream team would include Mirai but sadly that's not (likely) going to happen. :(

9. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Did anyone else notice that Christina's TES score changed from 34+ to 30 in the SP?! That was really bizarre... Considering the loop was deemed underrotated after her program ended, it still doesn't make sense that 4 points disappeared out of nowhere. She lost 2 points on the loop (with the < and the negative GOE) so that would leave her at a 32, but it doesn't make any sense where the 2 points went...

10. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

This is why I think the tracker should only show base value or show base value and GOE separately. It just looks fishy when the score drops like that without the explanation being obviously apparent. I can't see another explanation except that maybe her 3l was in the bonus time, so she lost 1.65 in base value alone. But the -GOE on that element should have been subtracted long before the end of the program. So I don't know where the other 2.37 would have come from. Even if that includes the -.7 GOE on the 3l, that still leaves another 1.67 unaccounted for. Maybe they put her steps in a L4 first, then lowered it?

11. smarts1

Could be... I don't know. Same happened to Adelina though her's was more reasonable and understandable.

12. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

Samantha has been plugging away and putting in good performances lately, that have been improving over the course of the season and certainly is skating like one now (not sure what happened to Gao, but that free skate performance would most likely put her out of the top 10 at Nationals).

(referring to TEB above)

13. Flying Camel

Flying Camel Member

Yes, poor Christinia. She is usually a good competitor. I am wondering if she has put too much pressure on herself to just concentrate on skating. Maybe she should have tried to go to school at least part time.

Sam is coming on strong. She is making a name for herself. Maybe she will be on the Olympic team. She may even be second at nationals. Gracie isn't doing anything. But she and her coach need to review the scoring and find a way to score higher in the SP. The 56 score is too low. Also, she need to come up with a few transitions in her program.

Ashley was good but she did not blow the competition away like Mao, Yuna or Kostner. She is getting closer. But I fear she will end up fourth or fifth at the Olympics.

14. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

Well, Kostner didn't exactly blow the competition away at Cup of China. :shuffle:

15. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

That's good. Ashley still has room to improve. I don't want her to leave everything in the GP.

16. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Active Member

^ And Ashley so far has finished higher in both of her GPs than Kostner has. Kostner still obviously has another event to do, but it's not the best case for her... And it's a very strong case for Ashley to be able to beat out very stiff competition in Adelina.

Sammi Cesario is also making a fantastic case, and if she can show that she is consistent, then I think she could steal the third spot under Agnes and Christina from the way things are going.

My heart is broken for Christina, though. I wanted her to get the third spot so badly and that didn't reassure me that she was ready... :cry:

17. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

She has not yet peaked, that's for sure. And that's a good thing.

18. smarts1

To be honest, it's still anyone's game for that 3rd spot. There's still 2 months till Nationals and a lot can change within that time. Does anyone not remember how Yuna skated during the fall of 2009 and still came back and gave the cleanest LP she's ever given at the Olympics? Same could happen here.

It looks like Ashley has worked on her LP (artistically and technically, I'm still baffled by her underrotating the lutz in the LP) between SA and TEB, but still I hate the LP. It's growing on me a little more, but I wish there was more in it, especially for a program in the Olympic season.

19. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Um, she didn't UR the lutz. She did get an edge call on it. She two footed the flip in the 3F/3T combo and she stepped out of the 3F. What are you baffled by now?

20. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

You fear she will be fourth or fifth? Given how this season has played out and with the Olympics being in Russia, fourth or fifth for Ashley would be a triumph. She's a B medal contender, meaning she can medal if she's clean and others make errors. The judges' scores have made that clear.

21. smarts1

Just because a jump doesn't get a < doesn't mean it wasn't underrotated. There have been numerous questionable calls on < and << marks in figure skating. The lutz was still short despite the fact that it didn't get a <. It was probably right on the quarter turn mark, and I don't think I've ever seen Ashley underrotate her lutzes even slightly.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  22. smarts1

Well that's Ashley not at her best. Ashley lost probably 4.5 points when she stepped out of the flip in the LP. Adelina pretty much skated lights out at TEB and didn't break 130. We'll see how Carolina skates at COR.

23. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Looked rotated to me on replay, wasn't called by the tech controller. Do you really think anyone would take your word against theirs and what we've seen? Seriously?

24. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Very impressive performance by Samantha Cesario at TEB. Here as an article on her from a few months ago.

25. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Congrats to Ashley Wagner on her third career Grand Prix title! :cheer2: With 28 points she also qualifies for the GP Final for the third time.

Samantha Cesario continues her string of stellar performances with new ISU Personal Best SP, FS and Total scores! :cheer: She is definitely in contention for an Olympic team spot.

Courtney Hicks competes at the Ice Challenge beginning this week; Nagasu and Zawadzki will look for better results at Rostelecom Cup; and U.S. Sectionals begin. Lots of skating to follow! :)

2013-14 U.S. Ladies

Top International Scores (through 11/16/13)
    1. Ashley WAGNER, Trophee Eric Bompard (194.37)
    2. Gracie GOLD, Skate Canada (186.65)
    3. Karen CHEN, JGP Slovakia (179.08) - JR in U.S.
    4. Christina GAO, Skate Canada (173.69)
    5. Samantha CESARIO, Trophee Eric Bompard (172.70)
    6. Courtney HICKS, U.S. Classic (171.88)

7. Polina EDMUNDS, JGP Mexico (171.21)
    8. Mirai NAGASU, Finlandia Trophy (164.51)
    9. Amber GLENN, JGP Czech Republic (164.18) - JR in U.S.
    10. Ashley CAIN, Nebelhorn Trophy (162.39)
    11. Angela WANG, JGP Czech Republic (155.87)
    12. Mariah BELL, JGP Mexico (153.17)

13. Vanessa LAM, Finlandia Trophy (152.28)
    14. Agnes ZAWADZKI, U.S. Classic (151.27)
    15. Kiri BAGA, Coupe de Nice (150.48)
    16. Barbie LONG, JGP Slovakia (148.19)
    17. Tyler PIERCE, JGP Estonia (143.91) - JR in U.S.
    18. Yasmin SIRAJ, JGP Latvia (142.32)

19. Rachael FLATT, Coupe de Nice (130.18)
    20. Hannah MILLER, JGP Estonia (128.20)
    21. Caroline ZHANG, Skate America (110.12)

Upcoming events:
    • Ice Challenge: HICKS
    • Rostelecom Cup: NAGASU, ZAWADZKI
    • Golden Spin: TBA
    • JGP Final: CHEN, EDMUNDS, WANG (1st alternate)
    • GP Final: WAGNER

26. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Samantha Cesario is my darkhorse pick for the Sochi team. I love her skating, she's working hard, and she totally deserves it.

27. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Just watched Ashley's LP for the first time. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would given what I have read about it. I also like the dress. I'm wondering if someone who has seen her live this year, can you tell if she has improved her speed at all? I felt she was quite slow at worlds last year compared to many others. It is so hard to tell when just watching on video. Also, does anyone else think her forward cross overs, especially out of elements, look weak? It seems to me that that is an area ( actually both forward and backward) where she could use some work. They just don't look powerful. Her spins were fabulous and she has positions in both spins and jumps. It was also great to see her go for the 3/3! I know there were a few technical issues, but I do think this program will continue to grow and develop and should be fabulous by nationals.

28. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Yes. I'm very happy w/ Ashley competing and winning at 85 - 90% caliber. I have a feeling that Ashley at 100% will manage over 200 pts., and I think that's what it will take to win a medal in Sochi

29. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

Actually I feel Ashley should work on her stroking and rink coverage to go into upper level. However, it takes time to improve the basics. So I wonder if she works on them after this season.

30. smarts1

I don't understand why you're taking this so personally and acting very defensive over this. The lutz wasn't worthy of a <. I'm not saying it was. You are missing my point entirely. My point is that it was still underrotated slightly (just shy of a quarter turn), and that's a little worrisome because Ashley got < marks on the lutz at JO and SA and is still underrotating it slightly now at TEB. If you look at Ashley's lutzes throughout her career, her lutzes have almost always been a full 3 rotations and never 2.75. We've seen what's happened to Mirai's loop all of sudden starting last season and now she is chronically underrotating them (and it used to be one her most reliable triples).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.