U.S. Ladies [#9]: Battle to/in Boston

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

Not if South Korea sends Yu-Na Kim x3. :lol:

2. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Yep, I hear you, and agreed. Agnes has been completely unremarkable this season. Maybe that will change come Nationals, but, if not, I want the judging to reflect what is put out on the ice.

O-

3. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

WHOA. I take it back, we can only send one of each skater! hahahaha. We can't compete with Yuna x3!

4. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Did you mean if Wagner finished fourth?

Anyways, while I agree with the sentiment, I am more inclined to believe that certain skaters will be 'supported' to 'earn' their spot for Sochi.

5. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Any news on Gracie's new SP? I thought she was to perform it sometime this week. I'd be interested in the music choices, how she performed, anyone's impressions.

6. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Reportedly it's Grieg's Piano Concerto in A minor - some show reports/mixed reviews starting here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...er-11-7-30-P&p=4077177&viewfull=1#post4077177

ETA that Gracie's SP music is from the second and third movements of Grieg's piano concerto - video link has been posted in a new GSD thread here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?90228-Gracie-Gold-s-new-short-program

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  7. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Gracie just needs to land her jumps simple as that. She can spend next season getting better programs since she won't be looking for a coach like she was this season. If she lands her jumps she's going to Sochi. I don't see her being clean at Nationals because she hasn't had a competition as a Senior where she was clean but it would be interesting if she did. Wagner might be a bit worried about getting that 3rd title.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  8. OliviaPug

I guess, in actuality, I meant if Wagner finished 2nd or 3rd -- since those placements aren't guaranteed Olympic spots -- though historically they've been awarded them.

(The context of my post was in response to those posts specifically discussing the 3rd spot. That's why I worded it that way.)

O-

9. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

Actually none of the medalists are guaranteed an Olympic spot (if any of them were, Nationals would become an Olympic trial and USFSA would have to pay $$$ to the USOC). However, in reality, all the medalists are extremely likely to get sent to Sochi.

10. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

^^^
    THIS!

11. Blondie12

Blondie12 New Member

They may fudge the numbers but I doubt they will use the Michelle Kwan save on anyone other than Ashley. The top 3 will be going to Olympics, none of the ladies did anything this season to justify them going if they finish 4th except maybe Ashley.

12. OliviaPug

The "Michelle Kwan" save? Not a good analogy. Michelle Kwan didn't need help from anyone at Nationals.

O-

13. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

:)

14. mag

mag Well-Known Member

In 2006 she was named to the team without even competing at nationals. I suspect that is what the op is referring to.

15. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

That was my assumption as well.

16. Sasha'sSpins

Mine too. Wasn't Nancy Kerrigan the only other skater who was just named to the Olympic team (in her case of course due to the attack)?

17. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

I don't think so. IIRC, in 1992, Todd Eldredge didn't skate at Nats, but was named to the Oly team anyway, replacing Mark Mitchell. I also think Meno and Sand got named to an Oly team without skating at Nats, but I'm not sure.

18. Sasha'sSpins

Was it because of injury in their respective cases?

19. Sylvia

Re-posting from the Nagasu thread:
    No, because Zawadzki was coached by Christy Krall for the past 2 Nationals (bronze medals in 2012 & 2013) and only returned to Tom Zakrajsek this year.

I always thought Nagasu skated so well at the Vancouver Olympics because she didn't go in as the national champ. Many fans thought Mirai Nagasu would be the "next great one" after the last Olympic season... 4 years is an eternity in ladies' skating so who knows what will happen.

20. Sylvia

Hannah Miller has written a new blog about Sectionals and working with her choreographer, Daniil Barantsev, recently in Connecticut: http://figureskatersonline.com/hannahmiller/main/off-to-nationals/

21. OliviaPug

Except that doesn't make any sense in the context of the discussion we were having. The OP was referring to women who will be competing at U.S. Nationals and will be perhaps getting unfair boosts in their scores for various reasons, not those who will be seeking an injury bye -- such as Kwan did in 2006. The comment made no sense.

O-

22. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

Mark Mitchell was on the committee that name Michelle on the team right?

23. Blondie12

Blondie12 New Member

What I meant by the Michelle Kwan save was the possibility of USFG not going with the top 3 in the event of a major screw up or injury by the star. They used it in 2006 (not going by top 3 at nationals) because of Michelle who was injured and did not compete. They would only use the save on someone who is the star, and for this season that would be Ashley.

I don't think they would use it if anyone else gets 4th. Like if Gracie gets 4th, I think they would go with the top 3. But they want Gracie to go, so they might fudge the numbers to get her to 3rd. Gracie has not accomplished much to justify her going over say Mirai if Mirai outskates her at nationals. indeed, None of the ladies -Mirai, Gao, etc- have done anything this season to justify their going to the Olympics over the 3rd place competitor if they place 4th.

Except for Ashley, it would look illegitimate if they do not go with the top 3 at nationals. If there is some disaster and Ashley places 4th, I think they would use the save on her. Using the save is really designed to ensure that the star gets to go. Maybe it did not originate with Michelle, but no matter how Michelle placed or whether or Not she competed at nationals, she was definitely going to the Olympics. Not strictly going by top 3 helped her go to Torino and is designed to make sure a skater of her caliber does not miss the Olympics due to injury or a major and uncharacteristically bad screw up. In the past the save was only used for injury and USFS has yet to pick someone over another who just screwed up (though I think they might have done it at worlds with Kimmie- put her on worlds team instead of someone else but I am not sure the reason whether it was due to injury). They might only use it for merit in the case of a real star like Michelle - maybe Ashley would not even qualify. For instance, Rockne and McLaughlin were great in pairs, were on Olympic ads, etc but bombed nationals and they did not use the save on them. Ashley, however, is different bc of her intl success. They would probably use it for her, though maybe they would only use it on a once in a generation skater like Michelle when it comes down to Olympic spots.

24. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I don't think Ashley will screw up so badly that she'd fall out of the top 3. The judges wouldn't let her...meaning even if she tanked they'd find a way to boost her where they could and hold others down to get her on the team. Point of the matter is Ashley is the best thing the US ladies has and there's no way she'll be left off of that team unless she's too injured to compete.

The same, to an only slightly lesser extent, applies to Gracie. No Gracie hasn't skated much better than anyone else this season but going by her international reputation and scores, she's the clear #2 option. And don't forget she's been the USFSA's pet since she made the jump to seniors...they aren't going to leave her at home, not when they pushed so hard to get her to Sochi...right on down to getting Frank to take her on.

So my thought is come hell or high water, Ashley and Gracie will be on the team and should be on the team. I don't think the judges would resort to using a bye...not when it's so freaking easy to manipulate the scores and do it that way.

I say 3rd spot goes to whoever steps up and takes it.

25. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

I believe so. I read somewhere that he was one of the few who voted against giving her the injury bye.

26. Blondie12

Blondie12 New Member

Ashley and Adam Rippon were announced on The Voice tonight...along w a bobsledder. I guess NBC is starting its promotions...

27. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

Of course he did :lol:

28. OliviaPug

There were two others who voted against Kwan as well -- as the vote to give Kwan a bye was 20-3, as I recall. Following Nationals, the 5-member panel who observed Kwan's monitoring session voted unanimously to allow her to take advantage of the bye.

O-

29. Sylvia

Agnes Zawadzki and Angela Wang (as well as Max Aarion and Joshua Farris and their coaches) were featured in USFS' Google+ Hangout yesterday - here's the archived video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj50lRe4m-g
    Agnes is interviewed around the 25 min. mark and Angela around the 38 min. mark (after she did a SP run through minus the jumps).

30. Sasha'sSpins

Thank you Sylvia! I hope they do a few more of these Hangout features leading up to Sochi!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.