U.S. Ladies [#9]: Battle to/in Boston

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Copying chipso1's format ;) ...

Neither Gold (177.81, 4th) nor Nagasu (141.71, 8th) improved on their international total scores at NHK Trophy.

Karen Chen posted on her official site that she has withdrawn from the JGP Final due to an ankle injury. :( She should be able to keep her bye in Junior Ladies to Nationals. Angela Wang is the first alternate to the Final and will be named as soon as Chen's WD is officially confirmed on the USFS and/or ISU sites.

2013-14 U.S. Ladies

Top International Scores (through 11/11/13)
    1. Ashley WAGNER, Skate America (193.81)
    2. Gracie GOLD, Skate Canada (186.65)
    3. Karen CHEN, JGP Slovakia (179.08) - JR in U.S.
    4. Christina GAO, Skate Canada (173.69)
    5. Courtney HICKS, U.S. Classic (171.88)
    6. Polina EDMUNDS, JGP Mexico (171.21)

7. Samantha CESARIO, Skate America (167.98)
    8. Mirai NAGASU, Finlandia Trophy (164.51)
    9. Amber GLENN, JGP Czech Republic (164.18) - JR in U.S.
    10. Ashley CAIN, Nebelhorn Trophy (162.39)
    11. Angela WANG, JGP Czech Republic (155.87)
    12. Mariah BELL, JGP Mexico (153.17)

13. Vanessa LAM, Finlandia Trophy (152.28)
    14. Agnes ZAWADZKI, U.S. Classic (151.27)
    15. Kiri BAGA, Coupe de Nice (150.48)
    16. Barbie LONG, JGP Slovakia (148.19)
    17. Tyler PIERCE, JGP Estonia (143.91) - JR in U.S.
    18. Yasmin SIRAJ, JGP Latvia (142.32)

19. Rachael FLATT, Coupe de Nice (130.18)
    20. Hannah MILLER, JGP Estonia (128.20)
    21. Caroline ZHANG, Skate America (110.12)

Upcoming events:
    • Trophee Bompard: CESARIO, GAO, WAGNER
    • Ice Challenge: HICKS
    • Rostelecom Cup: NAGASU, ZAWADZKI
    • JGP Final: CHEN :(, EDMUNDS, Angela WANG (1st alternate)
    • GP Final: TBD

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
    OliviaPug and (deleted member) like this.
  2. jlai

jlai Title-less

Bummed for Chen but great opportunity for Wang. With a good result, she sets herself up for a serious contender for Sochi

3. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm really sad for Karen. There are a lot of strong ladies on the JGP this season but they are all tightly bunched in terms of high scores which meant Karen had a great shot at gold this year.

I'm sad about that but I'm happy Angela gets this chance. I still think she has the potential to be a future champion in this sport. Both of her programs are great and she has beautiful quality jumps...when she lands them. She's struggled a lot this season but hopefully she'll be able to use this opportunity to get ahead. If Angela can hit on her jumps, she has as good a shot at gold as any of the top ladies.

I really hope she's able to deliver. Get better soon Karen!

4. toddlj

toddlj Livestreams at 1am on Thanksgiving weekend? OK!

Angela has all of the potential in the world; some very difficult jump combinations, great technique, and grace/elegance to boot. I could definitely see her as US champion sometime in the next quad. But I'd be very surprised if she was in contention for Sochi.

5. kwanatic

She'd have to kick some serious ass at nationals but I could see it happening. Think about it: other than Ashley, what other American lady has had an impact on the GP so far this season?

Gracie is scoring better than last year but she hasn't wowed anyone yet. Her SP at SC was very good but her FS was bad. Her SP at NHK was mediocre and her FS was okay but still far below what she's capable of. That said, barring an epic meltdown she will go to Sochi b/c even with her mediocre skating, she's scoring well enough to stay in the top 10 in Sochi.

Courtney has the technical firepower but she will be buried in PCS...

Samantha has the necessary programs and presence to really pull off a 3rd place finish but her content level has to be raised in order to compete.

Agnes was terrible at her first event, Mirai was worse, and neither of them are known for skating all that well on the GP...

Angela has all of the jumps (better technique than nearly all of the top ladies), the difficulty and the levels necessary to score well. Her programs are gorgeous and she presents herself well. I think if she had a stellar SP she'd score well but her PCS would be low. If she delivered in the FS, her PCS would jump and she very well could make it on the team. Same goes for Polina Edmunds.

Other than Ashley, the American senior ladies are quite a disappointment so far. Maybe that will change in the next few weeks...

6. toddlj

You've left out Gao, but other than that, I agree with your assessment. In fact, if Angela skated lights out at Nats, and ended up on the podium, they'd be smart to send her to Sochi as "the future". (I'm a little less sold on Polina's readiness at this point, just because she's still so gangly. But I like her charisma.)

7. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Really bummed for Karen, but agree with all that this is a huge opportunity for Angela. She has fabulous jumps, edges and overall presentation but she needs to show she can have a solid SP and LP. For US skating Angela is the best possible substitute for Karen.

Hope Karen recovers quickly and can train full throttle for Nationals.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  8. kwanatic

Damn! I completely forgot about Christina...which tends to be the problem IMO. She had two strong skates at her first event and she has a chance to build on that at TEB. Of all the 3rd spot contenders, she's doing the best right now...but Christina really has to step it up even more.

Polina isn't that gangly to me. One of the things that struck me about her was that she has these long limbs but seems very aware of them and doesn't come off looking half as awkward as other 15 year olds with that kind of length. She's done well on the junior level but I'm not so sure how her jumps will hold up under the scrutiny of the technical callers on the senior level. But I do think strong skates from her could put her in the mix.

9. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

I would say Polina is more consistent and the better competitor, but Angela has better skating skills and better presentation. Polina would be more subject to downgrades and junior PCS scoring. Angela is more likely to make mistakes, but her skating itself is top-notch Senior. I like both of them very much.

10. kwanatic

^^Me too.

What it comes down to is none of the 3rd place hopefuls are making a strong case for themselves so far which means the field is wide open at nationals for whoever wants that spot to come and get it.

11. toddlj

We get to see how they do head-to-head in a little over three weeks! (where they'll also be facing 4 very talented Russian ladies.)

12. kwanatic

I'm excited for the JGPF this year. Unlike the last few years there is no clear cut winner. They are all amazing and they're very evenly matched in terms of ability as well. It should be a great competition! :)

13. toddlj

US fans should brace themselves for a possible Russian sweep; but I hope the US ladies can skate cleanly and stay in the medal hunt. If Angela can start with the 61+ SP she had at Czech JGP, it will hold up well.

14. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Samantha could be the dark horse for 3rd but I don't think the USFS would allow it because she doesn't have the "name." It's amazing she is a skater nobody really talked about a year ago. I like how she has taken the opportunity and ran with it.

Mirai is toast. I doubt they will go with Agnes either because she keeps imploding - also, Agnes jinxed herself with the media attention and letting herself get excited over the third spot. Just because she was third for two years doesn't mean she will be third this year. My bet is on Christina (steadily improving and everyone wants her out of 5th) or Courtney.

15. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Let the Russians sweep. We saw what happened with the US after back to back sweeps in 2007 and 2008. Things can change in 2,3 years and most of those girls will grow and lose their jumps.

16. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for starting this, Sylvia! I promise I will update again after TEB...life got crazy last weekend. ;)

I think it's very impressive that Chen's JGP score is still holding up as the third best among U.S. ladies this season. I hope she can recover by Nationals; I look forward to see what she, Amber Glenn and Tyler Pierce do in the junior ladies event. Should be another great competition!

17. jlai

jlai Title-less

Cesario has trouble getting third because the highest short program score she's got is about 56, and her lp tes is also not high enough. That's because she flutzes, so she cannot do more than one in competition. That, and not getting level 4s on spins and steps

18. Flying Camel

Flying Camel Member

Cesario has time to improve her spins and footwork. She is probably stuck with the flutz.

19. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

That's too bad about Karen; she had a good chance at first.

20. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

The levels and the URs will cost her dearly.

21. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Does anyone know which of the Junior US ladies will compete in Seniors at Nationals???

22. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

The ones not marked "JR in US" in post #1 of this thread. :) But they (aside from Edmunds and Wang) have to qualify through Sectionals first.

ETA:
    Eastern Sectional Senior: Kiri Baga, Yasmin Siraj
    Midwestern Sectional Senior: Ashley Cain, Mariah Bell, Barbie Long, Hannah Miller (Alissa Czisny)
    Pacific Coast Sectional Senior: Vanessa Lam, Rachael Flatt, Caroline Zhang (Leah Keiser) [Polina Edmunds, Angela Wang - bye to Nationals]

Eastern Sectional Junior: (Madison Vinci)
    Midwestern Sectional Junior: Amber Glenn (Bradie Tennell, Morgan Flood)
    Pacific Coast Sectional Junior: Tyler Pierce (Amy Lin, Elizabeth Nguyen) [Karen Chen - bye to Nationals]

Note: USFS' International Selection Pool skaters that did not compete internationally this fall and qualified for Sectionals are in parentheses above.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  23. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Thanks, Sylvia,

I think Senior Pacs thinned out slightly since the last list was posted due to Wang's inclusion at the JGPF?

24. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Here are the Pacific Coast Sectional Senior Ladies (copied from my blog):

International competitors:
    Vanessa Lam 56.31 (3rd in SP) 95.97 (6th in FS) 152.28 (Total) Finlandia, 5th
    Rachael Flatt 41.59 (18) 88.59 (7) 130.18 Cup of Nice, 9th
    Caroline Zhang 45.76 (10) 64.36 (10) 110.12 Skate America, 10th

Qualified through Regionals:
    Leah Keiser 57.71 (1) 103.44 (1) 161.15 SWP1
    Rachael Flatt 49.82 (1) 89.66 (1) 139.48 CP1
    Laney Diggs 45.34 (2) 85.96 (2) 131.30 CP2
    Katarina Kulgeyko 45.55 (4) 80.50 (2) 125.95 SWP2
    Camille Davis 45.33 (3) 77.92 (4) 123.25 CP3
    Gwendolyn Prescott 41.55 (4) 80.42 (3) 121.97 CP4
    Sophia Adams 45.81 (3) 72.64 (3) 118.45 SWP3
    Anna Malkova 46.05 (2) 71.38 (4) 117.43 SWP4
    Samantha Stevens 28.39 (5) 64.23 (1) 92.62 NWP1
    Alison Jeffers 31.27 (1) 59.89 (2) 91.16 NWP2
    Amy Nunn 27.01 (7) 58.47 (3) 85.48 NWP3
    Jordan Lee 30.78 (3) 54.69 (5) 85.47 NWP4

Keiser, Diggs and Adams have previously qualified for Nationals at the senior level; Kulgeyko and Davis have previously qualified for Nationals at the junior level; Prescott has previously qualified for Nationals at the novice level.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
    Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  25. icellist

icellist Member

With Angela Wang as first alternate and getting Karen Chen's spot at JGPF, doesn't she get a bye for nationals?

and that clears up another spot for PACs right?

26. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

Doesn't Angela Wang belong to the Midwestern Section?

27. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Angela Wang trains in Colorado Springs but represents Salt Lake FS (her original club), which is in the Pacific Coast section. Wang will receive a bye through Coasts to Nationals as soon as Karen Chen's withdrawal from the JGP Final is official.

28. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I'm confused - although not unhappy - why Karen's bye persists despite her withdrawl from JGPF.

29. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

She shouldn't be penalized due to this unforeseen circumstance. I'm sure the USFS would rather have her rest and be healthy for the rest of the season instead of competing injured at the JGPF.

30. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

The rulebook says a bye is given to a skater who "earns a berth" at the JGPF. Karen did that. It does not say "competes at the JGPF."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.