U.S. Ladies [#8] All the Pretty Warhorses

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by kwanatic, Aug 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

It's called direct messaging. You do not post anything on your Twitter feed that you do not want to broadcast to the world. It's not like Facebook where you can customize the privacy. It's either 100% private through direct messaging, or it's 100% public. There is no other option.

I've used direct messaging to friends for things that I don't want to tell the whole world, and I don't even have 2% of the number of followers she does. She should have known better.

It was a stupid comment, and a stupid action. I won't hate on her, but she fully deserves a :rolleyes: from me for that.

She can VOTE now. Are you saying that we should raise the voting age to 25 or something since clearly 18-year-olds can't be trusted to know what is offensive and/or hurtful to other people?

2. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

I don't know about Frank, but I suspect that IMG must be pooing a bit. I'm sure the USFSA is hard at work to make this go away.

3. Mrs. P

Mrs. P Active Member

Well I'm thankful then that you parents taught you well! (And I'm not being sarcastic)

The unfortunate thing is that this sort of thing happens more frequently than is ideal and that even people who should know better make their share of insensitive, borderline comments.

And I'm not excusing Gracie for what she did, but I'm just taking it for what it is: a stupid, insensitive tweet. Nothing more.

4. toddlj

toddlj Livestreams at 1am on Thanksgiving weekend? OK!

Can we put this discussion elsewhere? We have said quite a bit about this now, and I have a short attention span.

Let's let her sort this out and get back to discussing something more explicitly relevant to the skating and the upcoming events. :)

5. Mrs. P

Mrs. P Active Member

6. arcuel

arcuel New Member

I bet she is reading FSU right now. Hi Gracie!!

Back on topic, I read on Mao's forum that Karen Chen is withdrawing from the JGPF because of an ankle injury. This is the first I've heard of that. Is it true?

7. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Where would you like it to be?
    It is relevant because Gracie is being promoted as America's new ice princess. She's probably going to the Olympics as a representative of the US, for goodness sake.

8. toddlj

9. kwanette

Deleted......

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  10. Mrs. P

Mrs. P Active Member

The bright side is that Angela Wang gets to go instead as the first alternate, which actually eases things up for Pacific Coast Sectionals (i.e. Caroline and Rachael's odds of making Nationals are a lot higher now).

Hoping Karen has a fast recovery!

11. toddlj

Sad for Karen, but she will have next year.
    Yay for Angela! If she can put two clean performances together (I realize this is a big IF, but still) she can challenge for the podium for sure!

12. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I never thought I'd see Mirai so far at the bottom. :(

13. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

How about an apology for saying what she said, rather than apologizing that people took offense to it.

(and I see someone has already pointed out that "it's" should be "its")

Sparks and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

Chen should still keep her bye to nationals, right? Kiri Baga did three years ago when she had to withdraw from the JGPF.

15. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

So now we're going to rip apart her apology? I think her apology is just fine. She wasn't apologizing that people took offense to her comment. She was saying she was sorry for unintentionally offending anyone.

O-

16. jlai

jlai Title-less

I don't wanna go on and on about it, but do we actually know the Japanese are insulted or offended by this?
    (if the Japanese are offended, yes, apologize profusely.) But are there Japanese posters in this thread who can comment? (Granted, it's morning there right now)
    Because from what I see, the offended posters do not seem to be Japanese.

I was told, over the years, how I should have been offended by some joke which is supposedly racist and anti-Chinese (or whatever). I was, time and over, more amused by the fact that the people around me were more offended than I was -- because they grew up in a more PC culture and I didn't. I actually find their insistency that I should be offended to be too much about "the offended self" (in which case is not me)
    and another failure at achieving multi-culturalism

I know this is not a PC comment, but this is just my honest opinion.

17. Mrs. P

Mrs. P Active Member

I google translated some of the comments Japanese fans tweeted (to Gracie and to their own accounts) and it appeared to be in the vernacular of "She probably shouldn't have done that, but I don't think she meant to be racist." But Google translate isn't perfect, so I hope some Japanese posters could translate and provide their view point.

And I totally feel you on the whole "you should be offended by this" thing expressed by my friends. I know they mean well and as I said earlier, I certainly had some mean, malicious racist comments made at me (namely, the one I remember is "I hear you people have dog for lunch!"), but when I sense there wasn't any harm intended, I find it's beneficial to set that person aside and tell them that they may want to be more sensitive with what they say.

18. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

That doesn't acknowledge that her comment itself was a mistake, just that it was a mistake because people took offense at it. How about something along the lines of "I am not racist and I should not have said what I did".

19. Sasha'sSpins

Agreed. Gracie is an adult and should know better.

20. kwanette

21. toddlj

I'm sorry, but I don't agree. She said she was sorry for the offense. That implies there WAS an offense. (she didn't use the unacceptable "I'm sorry IF some were offended") There is a difference.
    I was one advocating for her apology and I think this apology is acceptable.

22. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Well no one can speak for the Japanese people as a whole.
    I have a friend who is Japanese and living in America. When she found out about it, she was very mad and took it as an insult to Mao.
    It was offensive.

23. jlai

jlai Title-less

To be honest, the most offensive things said about "my kind" are often the ones that do not have the usual censored words or violate any usual etiquette.

In which case, apologize to Mao if she's offended. It's really not any of my business.

24. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

It is our business when she tweets something the entire world can see.

25. Sasha'sSpins

26. jlai

jlai Title-less

In that case, many of the threads here should be closed because they could be very offensive to a lot of people outside FSU as they too can see the comments. And not to mention, very hurtful things about skaters, which are 10 times more rude than Gracie's words.

JMHO of course

27. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I understand both sides of the issue. The tweet was insensitive and really stupid, not to mention Mao's accent was actually really good in the video. However, I do not believe there was any malicious intent behind it. It was just a stupid joke that could have triggered some feelings that many feel about the way society tends to easily mock certain populations based on the way they look, speak, act, etc. that doesn't quite fit in with the dominant population.

I think the way people are able brush off the comment as merely immature or stupid, others can take the same comment as being a bigger part of basic insensitivity or ignorance towards the feelings of populations that most don't usually think about.

My personal feelings on this is that even if it was just an inside joke between Mao and Gracie, I think the whole joke about the "L" and "R" is sort of beyond that (especially if it's on a public platform like Twitter) because it applies to others and is often used to poke fun of one's manner of speaking. There's a whole history of mockery there, and I don't blame people for their reactions to it (criticizing her and educating her about why it may be racist). However, I also think people need to put it all in perspective and take into account that Gracie probably meant no malice. That may sound unusual from me because I don't shy away from criticizing people's comments regarding a variety of issues, but I feel Gracie's actual comment was seeped in ignorance, not bad or self-serving intentions.

28. kwanette

Of course Phil wrote about it. Chicago connection.

29. littlefeetsk8

littlefeetsk8 New Member

Absolutely she knows what's appropriate because she has clearly led a life of privilege (who else would so brazenly discuss the expensive scarves she buys). And she knows enough to give a clever "all positive" TV interview saying how pleased she is with a subpar performance in a GP which dropped her from 1st to 3rd.
    But what really irritated me this season was the Icenetwork video at ?????can't remember the event????? at which she came back to the group of American teammates after a great performance. They all said something like you rocked, or you killed it, or whatever and she spat out "Damn right" in clear earshot of the microphones.
    So classless. I just can't imagine hearing Ashley saying that, when you know you could possibly be heard, that is

30. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

The people here are not public figures who could be representing their entire country to the world in 3 months.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.