U.S. Ladies [#8] All the Pretty Warhorses

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by kwanatic, Aug 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Agnes is about as nimble as a pile of cement. Without clean jumps, she's not going to Sochi. With that said, her jumps, when on, are perhaps my favorite out of anyone in the world. :swoon:

Do we know how Gao is looking? Funny that she's flown under the radar so far this summer.

AxelAnnie and (deleted member) like this.
  2. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Her jumps are gorgeous...when she lands them. I definitely feel she's the best jumper in the US. Nice speed, excellent height and a good riding edge with a lovely extended check on her landing, plus she holds her landings for a beat too. Gracie's jumps are great except for her landing position which (like the rest of her skating) is very stiff and not extended or sustained for any length of time. Hopefully that's something she'll work on in the future.

3. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Courtney's right up there too, IMHO.

4. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I feel her jumping form is quite ugly for an elite ladies skater.

5. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Agnes has great jumps when she lands them for sure, but that doesnt matter much when she continues to dissapoint and only make 3 of those triples cleanly per long program rather than the 6 or 7 someone with virtually flawless jump technique SHOULD be making, and when there is nothing else in her skating besides jumps that is more than ordinary to hold her up when she fails to deliver atleast half of her jumps in every long program. Then again U.S judges love her. She bombed her long program the last 2 years at nationals and still won bronze, which next year would mean a trip to the Olympics. So perhaps she doesnt even have to skate well at Nationals to get that 3rd spot, especialy if she has her usual strong short program to get a big lead.

6. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

Yeah I find her jumps very ugly aswell. I am not trying to put her down, but although big, the jumps have a wonky unpleasing air position. Her landing position is less than stellar aswell.

7. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Her entries are also quite ugly.

8. jlai

jlai Title-less

I am not a big Courtney fan but I think her strengths are often underrated. She can spin fast, skate fast and her edges are deeper than Cesario's, Gracie's or Agnes'. But this is US ladies! It's posture and form all the way! :p

Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

But on the scoresheet, ugly outscores underrotated!

10. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

I want to see Hicks skate WITHOUT the over-the-boot tights. I can't get past how ugly they look. Plain white skates could make a difference....or at least an aesthetic improvement.

Love Angela Wangs skating but can't get past the over-the-boot tights on her either.

11. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I think the short and short limbed skaters think OTB tights make their lines look longer, when in reality, it just makes their ankles look awkward and clunky. White boots is a better look for all skaters IMO, regardless of how long or how short their legs may be.

12. vocal

vocal New Member

I am truly looking forward to different musicÂ… be it with or without lyrics.

13. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I agree.

14. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, well, she does get great height and some good distance on all of her jumps, which is why she gets all those GOEs despite some ugly aspects to her jumps.

15. demetriosj

Whose jumps do you like then? Gracie's jumps come to a jolting, abrupt halt and she is stiff as a board (both jumps and general skating as well).

16. demetriosj

Definitely.

17. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

18. kwanatic

I think Christina's FS is absolutely lovely and definitely that little something extra she'll need to stand out this season. It's a much better program than anything else we've seen from the US senior ladies so far.

Christina is like the Akiko Suzuki of the US ladies: much better than she gets credit for and consistently under-appreciated. With Ashley and Gracie as the front-runners this season and the obvious favoritism for Agnes, what are Christina's chances of actually making the team? I'm thinking upping her technical content (3F-3T, possibly in both programs) should help her get over that first hump. Her SP from last season was great and with the added difficulty I would think the judges may show her a little more respect...that's the second hump. She gets no respect, especially from the US judges. Christina's FS looks great and with solid jumps I just don't see how they could overlook/crap on her again...though I wouldn't put it past them.

I really hope Christina goes H.A.M. this season and shows these judges that she is a great skater and deserves the respect they so frequently deny her.

19. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

To be honest Gao didn't really distinguish herself from the other top US Ladies until last season. Before then she was rather average as a Senior skater.

20. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

I like Christina's program. Reminds me of Lu Chen in 1994 which I liked a lot.

21. kwanatic

Exactly. She's slowly coming into her own. Last season she set herself apart with her SP but her FS wasn't strong enough. This season I think she'll have two programs that, if skated well, should earn her the respect she's been missing.

22. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

I love this LP from Christina, probably my favorite of what I've seen of US Ladies so far. It's such powerful music, and she skates up to it, beautiful dress too. She's keeping last year's SP which together with this LP makes a great total package. I don't generally like it when skaters recycle a program, but 'Close without Touching' really worked for Christina. I agree she needs her 3F-3T back, esp. in the SP. I would be very happy if she got that 3rd spot.

Unrelated, but I thought I saw her riding a bike on campus a few weeks ago. She rides her bike fast, too :lol:

23. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

oops double post

24. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

Gao's coach and choreographer change worked well and that's why she's coming into her own since last season IMO.

25. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

As a matter of fact I find of the US ladies, Ashley Wagner has the most technically sound and beautiful jumps.

In the world...actually my favourite jumpers are Yuna, Caro, and AWagner.

Quite frankly, in my books even Gracie's "jolting" and "stiff" jumps are way more pleasant than Courtney's (in many ways). By that token, imo Gracie's don't have the beauty of Ashley's jumps. But again these are subjective. Just like skating qualities, everyone has their preferences to what jumps should look like.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  26. jlai

jlai Title-less

I think Gao's disadvantage is partly technical. She has a flutz, so instead of repeating that, she repeats the triple flip and triple toe, and no triple triple means only a max of 6 triples. Her repeating a triple toe instead of a loop and just one lutz, in addition to other things in her layout, put her at a one jump disadvantage against other US ladies at nationals last year. I mean, C Zhang and Cesario did five rotated triples only at nationals and their TES were close to Gao's 6 triples. Gao also had low spin levels for a top US lady.

That's why Hicks beat her handily in TES with also 6 triples, because she did two lutzes and flips with no edge calls

ETA: Now that I've just looked, Wang's tech layout also needed tweaking. Six pretty triples at nationals and only 59 TES?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  27. pinky166

Wang frontloads her combos, that's why her BV is low.

28. pinky166

Also I think Christina is going for two 3lo and either two 3t or 3f in her FS, and it seems she will do 3s again this season, so I think it will be 7 triples in the FS so that should help bump up her BV.

29. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

A strong 2a is a great asset, though, because it can "easily" be repeated even if a skater is attempting a 7 triple layout.

7 triples and two 2a is hardly easy, but even if one of the triples is doubled, you are still left with 6 + an additional 6.6 points at best.

30. jlai

jlai Title-less

Question for the cop experts: To do 7 triples and two 2As, won't one of the jumps have to be 2a-3t, 2A-2A, or a triple jump-2A sequence?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.