U.S. Ladies [#8] All the Pretty Warhorses

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by kwanatic, Aug 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RD

RD Well-Known Member

^ BTW, that is my experience too. ITA

2. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

43rd. Grover Cleveland is 1 person :soapbox: :mitchell:

;)

(OK, even if he were considered white, people really probably would call him the 44th white president, but it bugs me that Grover Cleveland is counted twice ;))

[/off topic rant]

3. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

You can't really have it both ways.

Either
    or there is a lot of middle ground, society doesn't define you by your looks, you get to choose how to describe yourself on the Census form, and people think that you, kwanatic, look Hispanic or mixed race.

Not everyone looks at people of unfamiliar or mixed ancestry and immediately tries to categorize them by race. I suspect that there are people who meet you, have no idea what your ancestry is, and don't really care unless you want them to do so.

By the way, Kristene Musademba doesn't have any ancestors who grew up black in America. Whether the fact that she is American and her father is from Zimbabwe makes her an "African-American," which is what you called her, is, I think, open to debate.

4. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Not my experience. While a decent number I've come across are reasonable for the most part, others have been quick to judge.

Anyway, we're way OT. There was a google hangout with Christina Gao and she said, among other things, that she plans 3F/3T in the FS at TEB (her next comp). Meanwhile, we'll see Zawadzki this weekend. Curious to get an early look at her and see how she stacks up to Gao and Hicks, although things will likely shift around in a month or so.

5. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Google Hangout with Christina Gao and Kimmie Meissner (20 mins.): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_EzESgGQBg

6. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

:duh:...I am black and yes, I look black but b/c my skin is light and my hair is long and there have been times where people in my community do question whether I'm "all the way" black. To explain that I'd have to get into a discussion concerning discrimination/separation in the black community (and many minority communities) regarding lighter and darker skinned people which is a subject I really don't want to have on a skating forum where we're supposed to be discussing the US ladies...

It's good that you think people aren't immediately categorized according to their race or skin color but, being a person of color, my experience is different. I don't know if you're white, black, Asian or other, but living in the South as I do, that is my experience.

Calling her African-American or black is simply semantics:rolleyes:. If someone saw Kristine and was asked what race she was, I guarantee you everyone (assuming they weren't blind) would say she was black or African-American. She looks black and is black, but she's also half Filipino...I look black and am black but due to my heritage, I don't look "all the way" black, if there even is such a thing.

This has skewed so far off topic. I'm over it. Again, my simple point was that no one of African-American/black descent has made it to the elite level of skating since Debi Thomas. That was my main point in all of this. I've made it and now I'm done talking about it.

________

Back OT,

Good to hear Christina is going for the 3F-3T. I was impressed with how steady she was at SC given how shaky she looked at her summer competitions. If she can get a 3-3 in both programs and hit the rest of her jumps, she's going to be in really good shape. We'll have to see how Agnes does this week. I'm expecting to see Carolina, Kanako and Zijun on the podium but a strong performance from Agnes could land her on the podium.

7. jiejie

jiejie Active Member

While not making it to the very top group of elite US skaters, I certainly remember Andrea Gardiner (US Junior champ somewhere in the mid/late 1990's and as high as 5th at Seniors in 2000). Also Megan Williams-Stewart who competed at US Senior Nationals a few times in the mid 2000's, and won a gold at Nepela and a silver at Nebelhorn before switching to represent Puerto Rico. Both lovely skaters. Check out the Wikipedia photo of Williams-Stewart on the Nebelhorn podium with Kostner and Lepisto! But no, they never became household names.

8. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Ashley was the only figure skater chosen by this corporate sponsor - video tweeted by @BPTeamUSA yesterday that includes several clips of Ashley:

"We’re ready for Sochi. Are you? http://bpolympics.us/100Days #100Days #Sochi2014 #TeamUSA"

9. jlai

jlai Title-less

I remember Andrea Gardiner. The first time I went to midwestern sectionals, she beat Alissa Czisny and won.
    I think the highest placement for her was 8th

10. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Megan Williams-Stewart was a gorgeous skater, wish we could have seen more of her!

11. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure Gracie will make the US Olympic Team, but I think it is kind of "premature" to show her in an ad for the gams On Demand saying "watch me in Sochi"

I saw it on On Demand tonight when I was putting on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse for my son.

12. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

She placed 5th in 2000.

13. mag

mag Well-Known Member

That is one of the best pre Olympic ads I've seen. Very cool!

14. mag

mag Well-Known Member

But has anyone, in any sport, actually been named to the team? They can't very well say "hopefully you will see me in Sochi if I make the team." Ads are made in advance based on best guesses. Shrug.

15. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

and should have beaten Angela Nikodinov who placed 4th. That means Andrea would have gone to worlds after Sasha predictably bombed junior worlds.

16. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

Well IMO I don't see anything wrong with saying "aiming for Sochi" or something like that-which is true. And I don't just mean for Gracie-I mean for everyone. She literally says "Watch me in Sochi." She is not even going yet.

17. kwanatic

^^Barring some kind of a meltdown/injury Gracie's ticket (as well as Ashley's) is already stamped. BUT I do think it's presumptuous to say it...don't want to jinx it. It makes sense from a marketing standpoint though. They can't start running ads a two weeks before the Olympics start and expect to make any kind of impact.

And I remember Angela G. She was really amazing that year at nationals. Her FS was wonderful :)

18. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

19. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

At 3:55ish of the video above, Andrea does an interesting "hop" in her flying camel, a few rotations into it, that could get called as a difficult variation. I'm not sure she gets enough air on it, and she breaks the camel position perhaps too much right before takeoff, but what she was going for is pretty cool. Someone should bring that back.

20. kwanatic

21. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

Although there have been some partially-black American skaters in the singles field that have reached elite level (Derrick Delmore and Rohene Ward came to mind), I noticed their absence in ice dancing and pairs. Is it because the pools are smaller to begin with for pairs (except Tai Babilonia) and dance? Minorities are at least visible in Canadian ice dancers, but in US I can't think of anyone (ETA: I just remembered Lynn Kriengkriarut is Thai and Naomi Lang is partially native American/Indian).

OT: In the south and perhaps most of US, the sentiment about what counts as "black" may still follow the antiquated "one drop rule." I'm not trying to deny kwanatic's experience. However, living in the Washington DC area, I am conditioned to not "judge people by their skin color" (so to speak) or at least keep my mouth shut tight until they tell me what their background is, because my assumptions of people's ethnicity have been proven wrong many, many times (also I'm really bad at guessing people's ethnicity in the first place). Lots of people who look "black" in the US context think of themselves in completely different terms if they are from Latin America, South America, or southeast Asia or ... Polynesia.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  22. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Um....Shibs? ;)

23. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

LOL. Brain dead.

24. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Off the top of my head, I can think of the following skaters who medaled in Pairs or Ice Dance at the Senior Level at U.S. Nationals:

Benjamin Agosto
    Madison Chock
    Amanda Evora
    Rudy Galindo
    Beata Handra
    Kyoko Ina
    Rena Inoue
    Natasha Kuchiki
    Naomi Nari Nam
    Aaron Parchem
    Elizabeth Punsalan
    Kristi Yamaguchi (You may have heard of her. ;) )
    Felicia Zhang

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  25. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

26. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

27. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

28. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

Interesting list. :) Thanks.

Wait, Ben Agosto and Liz Punsalan are partial minority? Guess I shouldn't be surprised. All the more reason to keep my mouth shut until people tell me voluntarily about their ancestry ...

29. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Ben is half Puerto Rican and Punsalan is part filipino.

30. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

Agnes was not a consistent jumper before when she was under Zakrajsek. I think it would be a bit unrealistic to expect her to turn into one now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.