U.S. Ladies [#8] All the Pretty Warhorses

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by kwanatic, Aug 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. personwhoishere

personwhoishere Well-Known Member

LOOOOVE. What beautiful, crisp, STRONG jumps. Lovely presentation as well. Just a few "off" moments but the program is still new and the overall effect is just excellent. I forget, does she have any international assignments this season?

2. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Karen Chen is one of the listed alternates for the first 2 JGPs. I hope that she will be assigned to a JGP soon. :)

3. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Karen is lovely. A joy to watch.

4. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

They are complete idiots if they don't get this girl at least one event. She could be junior world champ skating like that!

5. Dilng

Dilng Well-Known Member

Wow she really is very good. You really can't keep your eyes off of her. :)

6. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

It's amazing what Tammy Gambill has done to her jumps. No more underrotation! Hope she can survive puberty because she could also go for 2018!

7. ManiDani

ManiDani New Member

FunnyBut and (deleted member) like this.
  8. kwanatic

9. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Man, was she late for a hot date or something? :lol: Incredibly rushed and quite boring, though she is a fabulous technical skater. Hold your moves, girl! :sasha1:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  10. kwanatic

Exactly. She doesn't look as frantic as she used to but she zipped through a lot of her movements. The program isn't that great. To me, Karen Chen has the best programs if the US ladies so far! :lol: Gracie, Mirai and Courtney need to track down her choreographer. My first impression of Karen's programs was "Wow!" Those other 3 all got various versions of "Meh."

11. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I am surprised to say this but i really liked her program, it has a some good moments.

Um hello wardrobe malfunction!

12. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Me too!

13. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

It was impressive technically, especially during the second half. I really liked the 3turns into 3R and 2A, most of the jumps great for start of the season. But given the huge scores she got, I guess I was expecting a transformed Courtney, and she has still has so much work to do in the body line and presentation department. Reminds me of the young Ando

So far this season, I think Karen Chen has had by far the best performance. That was a realy Wow! it was the kind of performance that I would have expected to see at the end of the season at Worlds.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  14. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I have no clue what was going on there, but that was boring. And she is NOT a boring skater. There was so much opportunity for nuance, emotion,speed, calm....so much potential left out there on the ice. I was really ready to like it....I have loved her. I hope what ever it is, she gets over it. 'Cause that was not IT

15. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

She definitely needs to hold her moves longer, especially at the beginning, but I think this program is a huge improvement choreographically and maturity-wise for Courtney compared with last season. I know it's hard to tell from vids taken from the stands, but I think this is a much better program than Gracie Gold's, not that that's saying much.

16. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

The big irony is ... how much do you want to bet that STILL get CARMEN and LES MIZ ... only next year WITH SCREECHING VOCALS :rofl::eek::wall:

17. kwanatic

Kill. Me. Now.

18. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

I also thought there wasn't much interpretation in Courtney's program. She just rushes through the choreography without taking advantage of the many dramatic moments in the music. As for body line, Courtney's body is much more like a gymnast's than a dancer: she is short-waisted and very muscular, and there isn't much she can do about that.

OTOH, Karen Chen's FS was beautifully interpreted and quite moving, even though she had a few technical glitches.

AxelAnnie and (deleted member) like this.
  19. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

Hicks reminds me SO much of a young Wagner - the same body type, the same natural springiness to her jumps (they even look alike in the air), the same unpolished, slightly uncontrolled brand of artistry. She has a very natural presence on the ice, and nothing she does looks forced. I'm glad she did well.

Chen, OTOH, looks so much more polished and put-together for someone so young and tiny that it's scary. Her technique seems sound and her jumps just float, but I refuse to get invested in anyone until after the growth spurts hit; I've learned my lesson from many skaters past.

20. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

:huh::huh: Having great line DOES NOT necessitate having a lithe waif-like body a la Cohen/Csizny. Yuka Sato had gorgeous line. Bebe Liang was no slouch in that department either. Then there was Shizuka, Kwan, Janet Lynn....girls had meat. :p

Courtney Hicks could use a week or two with Sarah Kawahara who brought out so much in Bebe....

21. falling_dance

falling_dance Well-Known Member

That sounds like a wonderful idea. :encore:

AxelAnnie and (deleted member) like this.
  22. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

At least Ashley has said that there will be no vocal programs from her end :D

I quiver thinking about it, but then I remember all the wonderful things Kwan did with exhibition programs (with vocals) while packing in triple jumps. I'm sure it's something that COULD be used effectively if done right and done by the right skaters. Only time will tell!

23. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I was going to say Courtney reminds me of Yoshie Onda. But like all of you, I'm impressed with her technical abilities. I just wish she would get some help learning to hold moves, understanding body line, extension, etc.

24. kwanatic

The good news is she has gotten better. Her skating used to make me want to bash my head against the wall. She's still unrefined and unpolished but she was ten times worse back in 2011. Courtney's skating could be described as "asdfkqinagljsdgfsdg$@!$%^!" That's how terrible and all-over-the-place she was.:yikes:

25. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

26. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

27. jlai

jlai Title-less

I am getting pretty optimistic about US ladies. The post Cohen generation really suffered from either ur issues or had skating technique that did not garner high pcs. The upcomers seem to have leaned from that and improved on every aspect, jumps or skating. They just need experience. If UsFSA chooses wisely US could have a lady on the podium at worlds in 2014 or 15

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  28. kwanatic

I'm happy Samantha got that SA spot but I do wonder if Courtney was in the running for it. Her last competition was very good (technically speaking anyway) so I figured she may have been favored over Samantha. Still, Samantha did place higher than Courtney at junior worlds, plus I think her style is much more mature and polished. She's more at the level of a senior skater (assuming she can get her jumps together).

Courtney has the jumps but I don't think she'd be competitive from a PCS standpoint. Looks like she'll be junior for another year too...

29. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Courtney Hicks and Samantha Cesario are both assigned to the Salt Lake Senior B, along with Gracie Gold and Agnes Zawadzki - could be an interesting early season showdown!

30. kwanatic

I'll say! We've gotten a taste of what everyone is looking like except for Agnes. I really think Agnes has what it takes to be a top tier competitor (good basics, nice spins, huge jumps, technique, a little bit of spark and charisma) but she just has not put it together. If she can get her jumps to materialize I think she'd be capable of eclipsing Gracie. I find Agnes much more pleasing to watch than Gracie at this point but until Agnes starts delivering she'll never get that momentum and her PCS will never increase...at least internationally they won't. I'd like to see her earn those scores she receives nationally on a national level. When Agnes skates well it's impossible to ignore her. All she needs to do is give the judges a reason to pay attention to her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.