U.S. Ladies [#8] All the Pretty Warhorses

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by kwanatic, Aug 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I don't see the << on Mirai's second flip. Yes, she landed it two-footed and it was kind of UR, but a -3 from one judge and -2 from the rest? Seems pretty harsh to me.

2. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

^ Two footed jumps (especially when very apparent) are an automatic -2 for GOE.

3. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Ohhhh, okay!!! Thanks for the clarification. Hoping she can get the jumps cleaned up. . . but, um, we've all been saying that for a few years now :(

4. smarts1

I'm not even sure we could say at this point that Agnes or Christina are really the secondary contenders based on what we've seen so far this early in the season. Christina is coming off of an injury and doesn't look that great, while Agnes is still a mess as she always was (I still don't understand why she's been 3rd place at Nationals for the last, what, three seasons?)

5. toddlj

toddlj Well-Known Member

I agree with you on this. I don't think Zawadzki and Gao are any more likely than Hicks and Nagasu. (I DO think it will be one of those four.)

6. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

I think besides the favorites (Wagner, Gold), and main contenders (Zawadski, Hicks, Gao) , the two that could surprise are

Edmunds
    Wang

Edmunds can challenge if she continues to make a strong case as she has so far this season, she and Hicks are 'building the campaign' , as Paul Wylie would say. Wang has got to be one the highest quality skaters all around, fabulous skating skills, difficult and quality jumps, and superb mature presentation, but she's a headcase.

Not sure where Nagasu fits in here. I love her skating, but she hasn't scored well in a while, so much depends on who is doing the calling.

7. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

sad Caroline Zhang hasn't been mentioned and has gone with the wind

8. toddlj

toddlj Well-Known Member

I actually think it's too early to call Wang a headcase. I think she was off the ice (rumor is she was injured) and is under-trained (hence her re-assignment from an early JGP) and isn't ready to compete yet. I think (hope?) when she's had a chance to adequately train it, the errors in her long program will start to clear up.

9. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

No one but Ashley seems like a good bet to make the Olympic team at this time. All the others are inconsistent or headcases.

AxelAnnie and (deleted member) like this.
  10. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Sad, but true I fear.

11. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I think once Gracie gets settled w/ FC, things will fall into place as far as her skating is concerned. The GP series will be telling.

12. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I agree with all that. Although the way things are going now i wouldnt be surprised if Gold drops into the main contenders for the 2nd and 3rd spot group, and Gao drops to the secondary contenders for the 2nd and 3rd spot group.

I really think if the Olympic team was picked tommorow Hicks would be on it.

13. rosewood

rosewood Wheeee! Wonder babies!

I'm with you, while I hope Gao shows good performances at Nats, thinking of her mom. I also hope Mirai makes a Olympic team, thinking of her mom. Oh my...US needs four spots.

14. smarts1

Well she hasn't skated well the last season and no one really knows how she's training, so at this point, she isn't really contending although things could change. Does anyone know how Caroline is doing?

15. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Mirai improved a tremendous amount between Glacier Falls and Finlandia (where she got hosed on some her jumps, IMO). If she keeps on this same path, and keeps her head together, she can be proud of herself no matter if she makes it to Sochi or not. Side note: her choreographic sequence is amazing. :swoon:

I think the only real "lock" for Sochi right now is Ashley. Gracie is the next closest thing, but who knows what's going on in her head. I wouldn't be surprised to see Courtney place top 2 at Nationals, actually. :shuffle:

Still three months until Nationals, but I think the top five are Wagner/Gold/Hicks/Nagasu/Gao (5th again!). With Cain and/or Cesario possibly nabbing 5th, too.

16. jlai

jlai Title-less

I love Cain, but the rotation on her harder triples is a question mark. :(
    I still think Wang has a shot at top 5 because great short programs tend to keep skaters there.

ETA: Cesario's short program may keep her down. She won't have enough difficulty to place high without 3r/3r but judges seldom ratify 3r/3r. She may have better luck getting level 4 everything

ETA: Edmunds may surprise

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  17. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Copied & pasted my reply from over in the K&C as regards Mira and her Finlandia FSi: :)

Even with the one obviously UR jump (don't know if there were more? but only looked like 1 to me) I would have placed Mirai Nagasu first. Just because she had the most well-rounded choreographed program with no obvious mistakes. She truly has it all, though I've noticed her natural spark that she had when she was younger is gone, with only a glimpse of it at the end. :( And her triple jumps look bigger imho. Love her costume, choreography, jumps, spins, steps, et al, she just needs to really sell it and feel the music! :)

18. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

^Would love to see a team of Ashley, Gracie and Mirai.

Chipso, agree that Mirai was hosed at Finlandia. I don't know what the judges were looking at on her 1st 3flip in the SP. But, for all of Mirai's flaws, she's doing better right now than Zawadzki and Gao. Hicks may be too 'green' for the team in the eyes of the judges at Nationals. We'll see ...

19. smarts1

Cain is definitely NOT in hunt for a top 5 finish at Nationals. She has some nice qualities to her skating (her SS are amazing), but her lutz and flip technique is really awful and without much rep power, she won't be anywhere near the top 5. Top 10 would be much for reasonable for her (if that even).

20. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

If she skates two clean programs, it's definitely possible. Her scores at Nebelhorn were quite good for flawed programs early in the season.

jlai, I think Edmunds could surprise as well, but it's hard to know how she'll handle the pressure of her first senior Nationals also being the Olympic trials. That, and the U.S. judges don't show her much love (her junior FS last season being a prime example. :().

21. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Edmunds got hit hard by UR's in her LP last year at Nationals but still won. If clean she will get the scores since she's one of the skaters to watch after Sochi and the USFSA wants to push her. As for pressure since no one expects her to get on the podium there shouldn't be much pressure. If she skates lights out it will be interesting where they will place her.

22. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

It most certainly will!

23. Flying Camel

Flying Camel Member

I hope some ladies are motivated to keep training for the World Championships. I don't think all three who go to the Olympics will go to Worlds.

24. b-man

b-man Active Member

Read on another forum that she trains a lot with Grant H., US mens single skater. Another poster who had seen a run through says she will surprise a lot of people in Boston. It was only in 2012 that she had a bronze over Murakami at 4CC, and she got a bad controller call in Omaha which cost her a lot of points.

25. jlai

jlai Title-less

During the last 8-9 years, many jr ladies medalists placed top 5 in seniors the next year. This was esp true of many of the strong jumpers who placed in jr ladies.

2004 jr ladies champ Meissner - 3rd in senior the following year
    2006 jr ladies silver medalist Flatt - 5th in senior the following year
    2007 jr ladies - top three placed on podium next year in seniors
    2009 Gao - third in jrs and 5th in seniors next year
    2010 Agnes - first in jrs and 4th next year in senior
    2012 - Gold - first in jrs and second in senior next year

So chances look pretty good for Edmunds.

26. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I think all three (who ever they are) would be mad not to go!

27. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

Really? I wouldn't expect any of them to sit Worlds out, not even post-Olympic Worlds. It's not like they've all had endless chances and opportunities to compete there. The only way I could see that happening is if someone like Alissa got the third spot and wanted to go out on a high note by having a final performance at the Olympics.

28. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

I think a lot will depend on how she does at the JGPF, and especially on the UR calls. If she medals and doesn't get any URs (if she gets a lot it could give her a Mirai-like reputation with the judges, it won't help) that could give her a big boost reputation-wise.

29. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

I agree, it seems the one thing USFS won't tolerate is a lady with questionable UR jumps. Wagner, Gold, Gao, Zawadski, Hicks are all quite good about getting full rotations if they haven't made an outright mistake. I think that's why they are on top in USFS eyes, in Zawadzki's case they are placing her high even with mutiple outright mistakes. Edmunds, Cesario and Nagasu will need to prove they are unquestionably clean jumpers over the course of this season if they want to be considered for the Olympic team.

30. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

When the podium from last season's Worlds are not to attend that Worlds, any medal is up for grabs really.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.