U.S. Ladies [#7] Wagner's Rink Cycle

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vagabond, Feb 10, 2013.

1. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU78A1ezsJA

When Gracie is on, her jumps are quite amazing. And how we each view skaters' looks is subjective. I wouldn't say I'm "enthralled" by Gracie, but obviously she has great potential. I don't think "regal" has anything to do with it at this point in her career. But I think she's trying to work on her confidence, and on her arms and her presentation. She's learning how to compete in the pressure cooker of the senior ranks. She's also got to navigate the hype from people who tend toward being enthralled by her potential.

Gracie is a pretty girl, with long legs and a nice look on the ice. And with a magical name for a skater to boot! Although with all the hype, I hope her name doesn't get over-cliched from the tempting use of puns, before she has a chance to succeed. Both Gracie and Kaetlyn have a long way to go, but they both have talent and wonderful potential, which is nice to see in North American skating. Everything has to go just right for each of them, because figure skating is not easy.

I was reading something Petr Barna (who is now coaching) said on his website:

Those are very wise words from an Olympic medalist and one of the finest skaters of his generation.

I agree there doesn't seem to be any magic involved in what is required to become a figure skater. However, when everything comes together just right after all the hard work, patience, diligence, more hard work, learning from falling down and getting up again (and with a huge dollop of luck), magical moments can happen on the ice. And when the magic happens in a performance, that's what makes the hard work and the steady belief in one's talent worthwhile. We fans need to practice patience too. ;)

BTW, I think Sotnikova is extremely talented and she has wonderful artistic qualities, but right now I don't get from her anything regal or confident. Sotnikova has had her moments, but she's not pulled it altogether consistently yet. And for that matter, look how long it took Carolina to finally realize her regal potential! Carolina was supposed to be Italy's golden girl at the 2006 Olympics. It takes awhile for talented skaters when they are young to learn who they are and to be able to express that with confidence and with artistic maturity on the ice. Mao Asada and Yu Na Kim are also definitely regal and confident, but they still each have their weaknesses, and they each have sacrificed a lot to make it to the top. Just getting there and trying to maintain their position is another huge struggle.

I think Sasha, Michelle and Tara were simply precociously talented and both Sasha and Michelle were artistically mature at a young age, but that doesn't happen for everyone. And none of their paths were simple or easy just because they achieved success at young ages. Every skater has their own path, and their own unique journey. Also, only a lucky few get to stand on top of the podium at the Olympics. The important thing is in learning how after striving for and not necessarily winning gold, that there is gold in the effort and in the lessons learned. Figuring out how to mine that particular gold and how to appreciate one's blessings can take a lifetime.

Someone needs to tell Phil Hersh, the media, and the USFS (who should know already) that they need to practice patience too. Celebrate the victories of young talent, but tone down the hype, and learn how to continue giving encouragement and support when athletes falter or don't live up to the lofty expectations we set for them.

I love the new thread title too! :cool:

2. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Any reports on how Ashley is doing?

3. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I've been checking her Twitter, she was supposed to start full run throughs last Monday. Nothing else other than the stolen laundry.

4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Wagner's tweet on Feb. 7:
    "To whoever just stole my laundry basket, I have a very special set of skills...they just have nothing to do with getting my basket back.."

ETA that Maia Shibutani tweeted this female group photo from the Four Continents closing banquet yesterday:
    "I miss these girls already! @christina_gao @agneszawadzki @GraceEGold #4CC2013" http://pic.twitter.com/xx2eYDd4

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  5. aftershocks

Thanks to you Sylvia, and to Maia for sharing that lovely photo of some gorgeous ladies!

Shame on whoever stole Ashley's basket. Tsk, tsk ... laundry cycles are enough of a drag without having one's laundry basket stolen, especially if the laundered clothes were still in it. ;)

6. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Whole post! :respec:

Not sure but maybe to some it means white, and blond. Nagasu and Gao certainly have never been called 'All-American' nor Kwan or Yamaguchi before her that I can recall....:shuffle:

The same could be said for skaters like Mirai and Christina who are both still just 19 and 18 respectively. I do agree that skaters can mature and indeed reach their zenith at different times. Look at Kostner and even Czisny.
    They all look gorgeous! Thanks for posting this!

Wtf about Ashley and her laundry? What a sicko thing to do!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  7. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Re that photo - wow! I would love to see THAT Christina in competition. There's no rule that only dance ladies can wear their hair down, is there?

They are all gorgeous.

8. Bosha

Bosha Active Member

If the scoring of UR triples was as strict in 2002 as it is today, Michelle would not have needed six clean triples to hold off Sarah. Michelle would probably have been trying to hold off Irina instead.

Of course, if URs had been called back in the day, Sarah would have had to clean up her technique if she wanted to be anywhere near the Olympics. In 2002, figure skating was a very different sport.

9. Bosha

Bosha Active Member

@ fenway 2

If Agnes were to gain consistency, and skate both problems cleanly as planned or nearly so, would you still not want her on a U.S. Olympic or World team?

She has a very nice 3t/3t and a good 3z/2t combo, nice spins and good speed and security across the ice. Consistency is clearly a problem now, but Agnes is only 18 and this is the first year that she has not combined skating with high school. Doing something besides skating, like working a part-time job or taking one or two classes, can help some skaters, but others need to focus just on skating to reach their full potential. Perhaps Agnes is one of the latter.

Both Ashley and Alissa improved their consistency from ages 18 to 21 or 22. It is entirely possible that Agnes will do the same.

10. Sasha'sSpins

I don't know what the rule is regarding hair in singles but for women especially I imagine it might be a safety issue if you have long hair and it' s loose, whipping around your face as your attempting triple jumps. Similar to gymnastics I should think.

And the same holds true for Nagasu and Gao. Both are also still just teenagers.

11. Bosha

Bosha Active Member

@Sasha'sSpins

Yes, all of Nagasu, Gao, Zawadzki, Hicks and Gold are just teenagers. We are really asking a lot from those who are still quite young.

And to add to the skaters who took more time to mature: Maria Butirskaya and Carolina Kostner. Both won their World Championships when they were well into their '20s.

12. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Of course it's a big if. I even said it was a big if. :lol: But who ever said she is very young and needs time to develop beyond the jumps? I must have missed that quote. Some people are late bloomers :)rofl: at the idea of Gracie being a late bloomer. Only in skating...and gymnastics) and with the age rules firmly in place for some time now, we aren't going to see as many young wonders racing to the senior level as we once did. Imagine if Akiko Suzuki had given up as as a teenager because people didn't want to wait for her to develop when she was a teen. :eek:

13. fenway2

Did you miss the word MIGHT in Jammers quote? :)

14. fenway2

I agree. Isn't Gao gorgeous? :)

15. fenway2

Agnes is not my favorite skater but I would never want anyone denied a spot on the Olympic or World team if they earned it. :)

16. jlai

jlai Title-less

Except the day she skated her long at US nationals. Too much powder

17. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

her makeup was a bit severe and drag queen-ish, but her dress was spectacular!

18. Maximillian

Maximillian You can't unfry things.

Wow, never realized how much Gracie looks like Regina George until I saw that photo.

19. Sasha'sSpins

This is what gives me hope for the aforementioned American young ladies. Imo I think Mirai if she so chooses could keep right on improving past Sochi. Hicks, and Gold aren't doing it for me artistically but then neither did Michelle Kwan when she first stepped into the national spotlight. I saw a kid with tons of talent, pretty good basics but it wasn't til 1995 that she really blew me away. It was like night and day. Sure, she was in her mid-teens but skaters as you said like Butyrskaya and Kostner persevered and had their greatest success well into their 20's. And at the moment the top three expected to battle it out for gold are all well in their 20's now - Kim, Asada, and Kostner. I'd throw in Akiko who's what 27? if she should get the scores she deserves should she hit.

I see nothing regal in Gracie either. Agreed, just another jumping bean BUT I do think there is potential for improvement elsewhere. The international judges seem to see it because even when she doesn't skate well she's getting pretty decent PCS scores. With lots and lots of work, better music, choreo, maturity which takes time, who knows? For the moment the only skaters from the 'new' generation, post 2010, that have really grabbed me are the Russians. And Lijun Li.

20. Maximillian

Maximillian You can't unfry things.

I have to say I love all the passive-aggressive comments about Gold, such as: "I'm really trying to understand what's so appealing about her skating" or "I really want to like her skating," etc. Do you really? Are you really working hard to like her skating? Because you know what? It's totally okay if you don't, I mean don't worry about it, nobody should ever have to work or strain to enjoy a skater or their skating. Just don't like them and don't like their skating, it's totally cool.

FunnyBut, Coco, Mayra and 3 others like this.
  21. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

This is the greatest post in the history of FSU.

22. aftershocks

You wanna see Christina skate with her hair down, he he, here it is: (although not as a curly-haired temptress)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHOBoljaCgA :eek: at Verner's muscular legs

I think I read or heard somewhere that Christina Gao thinks of herself as a goofy nerd. She's young yet and still getting to know herself and trying to feel comfortable in her own skin. She is definitely beautiful and smart and a very talented skater. I'm sure she will grow into more womanly roles and regal, confident presentations on the ice. Ditto for Gracie and Agnes. As already mentioned, look how long Carolina Kostner has been on the scene before truly coming into her own last season. It also took AshleyW awhile, and now she's skating with more confidence and womanly maturity.

23. Sasha'sSpins

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to like a skater's style since so many others seem to but not quite 'getting' it. Why should anyone have to 'work hard' to like someone's skating? Either they will or they won't. Either way I don't see why this should be a problem for you. :confused: For my own part I like Gracie very much and had high hopes for her this season which didn't pan out-so far. When she's on, she's got great jumps. I don't like Gracie's performance quality but that might come in time.

24. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

Will it make you feel any less angry, confused annoyed if I tell you really don't need to like Gold. NBC tells me a lot of things but I usually take it with a grain of salt.

Either you admire Gold's jumping ability, speed, power and potential or you don't. It sounds like she simply isn't your cup of tea. The beauty of skating is that there are skaters with many different styles and you aren't required to like someone if you don't want to. Goodness knows there are skaters who I simply don't get, and that's fine. I watch those that I do like and move on. :)

25. aftershocks

^^ Sounds like wise advice, Mayra.

But then, some fans would bit*h about not being able to tell which one is being talked about. Kaetlyn, Kaitlyn, Caitlin ... what's so hard about that? It's not like any of us are trying to win a Spelling Bee. ;) Plenty of posters will point out the respective correct spellings. :p

ITA! Lay off Gracie, alright already. What with the overly enthralled, the not so enthralled, and the overly confused, nothing Gracie ever does will be enough to please. Some people still don't get what makes Michelle Kwan's skating so special. To each their own. Wake up and smell the roses. Like who you like. Be tolerant of who you don't get and/ or can't stand.

ETA:
    Another thing fans might consider is trying to separate out the hype and the claptrap from the young girl Gracie actually is -- I hope it will be possible for Gracie to navigate the murky waters and focus on what matters while not allowing the gushing ignorant media and the clueless among USFS to turn her head in such a way that it detracts from her growing as a skater, learning how to own who she really is, and bringing that to the ice regardless of the hype mongers and the naysayers.

dinakt and (deleted member) like this.
  26. jlai

jlai Title-less

Gold is certainly no artist, but when she is on, her movements are...eye-pleasing. Big jumps, big skating, etc.

27. RD

RD Well-Known Member

??

I agree...if you have to so-called "try to like" a skater, they just may not be your cup of tea and that's perfectly fine...

28. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

Haha, im totally ok with not liking Gracies skating, especially her cheer leader arms.

29. Sasha'sSpins

I can't decide if the 'ta da' arms are more because of the choreography she's been given thus far?

30. Bosha

Bosha Active Member

fenway2-- Thank you!