U.S. Ladies [#7] Wagner's Rink Cycle

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vagabond, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  2. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Hmm...

Well, I did like the opening. Lots of energy in the music but after that it just tapered off. The music started off big, got softer, got even softer, came up a little and then ended. I agree with those who felt the ending was anti-climatic.

From that angle I do get a better idea of her speed and ice coverage and it's really great. The jumps she did looked strong but I think she just blanked out at the end and started doubling everything...or conserved her strength or whatever. I didn't really care about the jumps, I was more interested in the program and her delivery. The video quality isn't that great but her arms still look very airplaney/samurai swordy (hi-yah! slice the air!). Hopefully she'll continue to work on that. She's still got several months until the GP starts so I'm sure she can make improvements. I think they could be a little more imaginative with the spiral sequence...maybe not.

I think it's an improvement over last year's FS but she still has a long way to go...

3. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I liked what I saw in terms of her speed and ice coverage and we don't really need an HD vid to confirm that. She was positively flying and effortlessly too. I didn't like what I hear in terms of the edits because I didn't feel that the program was building up to anywhere.

As the season progress and as we get to see a clearer and more committed skate to this program, we will see the details in the choreography and the overall impact of the program. Right now I am not that excited about the program but I do feel she can score very well in this coming season as long as she stands up on 5 or so triples.

4. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

5. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Active Member

It's not the greatest program, but it's a huge improvement for Gracie and I am really excited for that as I really do want her to succeed :) I'm going to echo everyone else and say the ending was anti-climactic, but I'll wait until we get a better quality version to really judge it. I really enjoyed the program though!

6. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Yes, that camera angle is from so far away she looks like Tinkerbell on the ice!

I don't think positive or negative judgements can be made regarding this new program solely from this YouTube post........She's barely visible on the ice..........

7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Wow, that is not a good program for Gold. She should not be skating to pwetty pwincess numbers, let alone wear pink. And this is literally THE pretty pwincess number. Also, I see she's done nothing about her windmilling. Flailing your arms around does not constitute choreography. Meh.

8. valyrian

valyrian New Member

Yes, yes, shaky fancam far away, early in the season, but this program is miserable, at least in terms of construction. I don't see improvements in artistry. I barely see choreography, especially in the second half. I don't feel like I'm watching a character on ice. I'm especially confused about the spirals. They don't highlight the music at all. Marina has done Gracie a disservice.

9. Sylvia

Oh yeah? :D

We're closing in on 1000 posts - any creative suggestions for the title of the next U.S. ladies updates/chitchat thread?

10. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

All the Pretty Warhorses. (You know, because of Sleeping Beauty, R&J, etc.)

11. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

The Agnes and the Ecstasy
    How Do You Solve a Problem Like Mirai?
    Boston or Bust!
    Not Just a Bunch of Hicks

12. RD

RD Well-Known Member

The bolded one...

13. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

I don't mind Gracie's program (comparing it to last year's)! I do think the choreo sequence is bad, and the ending is anti-climactic, but I find the program is a certain improvement for her. With some second-half choreography touch-ups, the program could be passable for a Senior lady vying for a top 5 Olympic finish. The step sequence in the middle is lovely

14. jlai

jlai Title-less

Despite not being artistic, I find Gracie appealing to watch for some reason. There's something about the security in her elements that makes me want to watch her.

15. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

I agree....speed and flow will score well anytime, anywhere. I was always :confused: at why people would think international judges wouldn't take notice of her.

16. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Chasing Grace
    Gunning for Sochi
    Showtime!

17. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

Maybe the next thread could be in GSD? It would be nice if it didn't keep getting buried under polls, and there is more actual news this time of year than when this one was started.

18. Sylvia

Usually significant news or articles about the top U.S. ladies are posted as separate threads in GSD. I think info would get duplicated in GSD if a general U.S. Ladies news thread was started there as well - what do others think?

Often this thread swerves off-topic into :argue: about past U.S. female skaters and results, which is why I'm okay with keeping this as a general news thread in the Trash Can.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  19. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

U.S Ladies 2014-Boston "Marathon"

20. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Maybe 2 threads? 1 in GSD for news and results, which is where every other country seem's to have their threads :). The other thread for rehashing and excessive speculation can be in the Trash Can.

21. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

I am also just so over skaters with the arm flailing. Seems outdated and also exaggerated. Too fake. I don't need to see a whole skate program with bringing the arms in, then flailing them out trying to look artistic over and over and over again. Enough already. Draws too much attention to that and not the actual skating.
    Hopefully Evan L. has fixed his arm flailing "artistry".

22. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

I'll hold my judgment until I see her programs, but I"m excited about them.

23. Vagabond

Actual news? :confused: :rolleyes: :yawn: :blah:

Rehashing and excessive speculation? :swoon: :cheer2: :cheer:

:watch:

24. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

That would have been great in a different year. :(

25. falling_dance

falling_dance ToT Thread For Sale

This gets my vote, FWLIW.

26. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I second that!

27. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

From the little bit I can see from the blurry YT video, I think Gracie Gold's free skate is OK. I hear no obvious incoherence with the music cut (except the beginning segment is a bit too blaring). There is a clear attempt to match gestures to accents in the music. The spins are matched to the music reasonably well. Of course it's safe. It's the Olympic season. Everyone with half a shot to Sochi will play it safe. The only unsafe programs are either skaters with little chance to go or the crazy ones. Still the question remains whether Gracie will be able to carry through most of the choreographic points and at least flick a wrist or lift an arm at all the right moments.

28. Sylvia

Would anyone object if I started ONE news/updates thread in GSD for U.S. Ladies AND Men to cover the rest of the summer competition season/beginning of the JGP season and the early Senior B comps? We could see how it goes and decide before Skate America if it's worth continuing with this combined singles format? (There are already separate news and discussion threads for U.S. Pairs and Dance in GSD.)

29. Vagabond

Is there actually any benefit to having any general news-and-fluff threads about U.S. singles skaters, whether ladies or men or both?

The Hungarian and Finnish threads, for example, each cover just a few current skaters, with a bit of discussion of Federation news and retired skaters like Júlia Sebestyén and Júlia Sebestyén. The typical U.S. ladies thread, by itself, tends to touch on most Senior ladies who will be at the next Nationals and several Junior and Novice skaters, so we get quick mentions of Karen Chen tucked in between prolonged discussions of the relative strengths and weaknesses of Ashley Wagner and Gracie Gold and whether Mirai Nagasu or Agnes Zawadski is likely to make the Olympic Team. And we still get threads devoted to individual skaters. There are active Nagasu and Wagner threads at the moment, and for the men we have threads for Aaron, Lysacek, Abbott, and Weir, and one for both Brown and Ferris, each of whom could sustain his own thread.

30. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

I would like a general news thread because I don't go into the individual skater threads. Just my two cents.