U.S. Ladies [#7] Wagner's Rink Cycle

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vagabond, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

Courtney Hicks has very good skating skills, effortless speed, and a lot of transitions. Her posture is unfortunately not good and stands out among US skaters because the average quality is high in that department. She also slightly wraps her legs in sometimes, which seems to affect the consistency of her jumps.

2. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

and rotations.

She has some brilliant spins too (although also some fugly ones like her Biellmann).

3. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

She needs to work on her lines and extension. I think her initial layback position is nice and her variations of the donut spin are really nice too. The rest of her spins do need some work though.

4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I think she's chucked the Biellmann which is a good move ...

6. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

The next move is to work on those lazy feet and the 2axel.

7. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

The Skating Lesson has said they will be interviewing Ashley. I can't wait! Given how much they have knocked her, I think it's brave of her to agree to the interview. But I'm sure they be very nice during the actual interview, and I hope she approaches it with a good sense of humor.

I love both her music choice this year, very different, yet they both suite her to a T.

8. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

hmm, im bored of Romeo and Juliet programs, but hopefully Ashley will make it somewhat memorable. I hate Swan Lake but actually found hers quite decent.

9. olympic

ITA. Tight jumps with that height will happily bring back memories of Midori and Tonya. I'm dying to see a Midori or Tonya progeny in the present day. Their powerful skating always excited me!

10. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I wasn't sure what that Pink Floyd song that Ashley is doing sounded like, so I looked it up. It's the same piece that Sandra Izbasa used for her floor exercise music last year at the Olympics; quite voidy! I liked it. :) I'm sure Ashley will do something fabulous with it.

11. alexikeguchi

alexikeguchi Active Member

Actually, it's been quite a while since someone skated to the Prokofiev version, which I find much less insipid and certainly less overused than Tchaikovsky or Rota. Could be awesome.

12. Sylvia

Interview with Angela Wang: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130718&content_id=54000168&vkey=ice_news
    Excerpt:

13. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Consistency is the only thing missing from Angela's skating IMO. She has all 5 triples including a gorgeous 3lz-3t. Her spins are decent, her skating skills are solid, and she carries so much speed through her jumps. In addition to the technical side she's got a lovely smooth style to her skating. I definitely see that "ooze" quality Lori coined for Michelle.

Of all of these newer US ladies, Angela is by far my favorite and the one I'm most excited about. Gracie and Courtney are all jumps...Angela has jumps in addition to artistry. Consistency has been her downfall these last two seasons, especially in the SP. She's had some very strong FS over the past few seasons but her SP jitters often take her out of it. If she can get herself more consistent in her SPs, she'd be very tough to ignore and the judges would have to take notice of her.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for her. I think she's going to be a front-runner for the US ladies in this next quad...

14. Sylvia

Liberty Summer Competition summary of the top U.S. senior ladies (additional info is posted in the Liberty thread in Kiss and Cry):

Samantha Cesario won the Senior Ladies SP (57.05), landing 3Lo+3Lo<, 3F, 2A, in debuting a sultry program to "Fever": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nosf97iFoQM
    Her "Titanic" FS debut did not go as well and she finished 4th in that part of the competition.

Ashley Cain won the Senior Ladies FS (102.78), landing 5 triples - she kept her "Ave Maria" FS from last season: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmVGNlplZow
    It was a nice recovery from her 6th place SP finish due to a boot problem that interrupted her program for several minutes.

Yasmin Siraj skated her Junior programs in Senior Ladies (she placed 3rd in both SP & FS) in preparation for the JGP. Her new SP is to Delibes' "Flower Duet" and she kept her last season's "Seven Years in Tibet" FS.

IceNetwork's recap article of the Senior Ladies at Liberty: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130720&content_id=54232690&vkey=ice_news

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  15. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Active Member

Sandra Izbasa's version of that song was amazing and I am so excited to see what Ashley will do with it. I'm interested to see what will happen with R&J considering that most people immediately associate it with Sasha Cohen, and Ashley and Sasha have a vastly different skating style.

16. Sylvia

Gold, Zawadzki, Hicks and Cesario have been assigned to the Salt Lake Senior B - see this GSD thread for more info: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...lt-Lake-City&p=3961625&viewfull=1#post3961625

Re-posting these comments from the SLC competition thread in Kiss and Cry to here:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  17. jlai

jlai Title-less

I'm excited that Hicks is doing senior internationally this season.

18. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Yes! Also, glad to see four U.S. Ladies competitors at Salt Lake City Senior B. (Could not understand why USFS didn't send more Ladies competitors last year?)

19. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

The US senior B will likely decide who between Cesario or Hicks would get the Skate America TBA spot. Ideally I wish they would both get some other fall internationals and save the Skate America TBA spot for Czisny who probably needs more time to prepare. Slim chances I know, but still. Alternatively, I hope Czisny would regain her form soon enough to be sent to some fall internationals herself.

20. rosewood

rosewood Whoa! Samurai battles!

21. olympic

Interesting point - Czisny is recovering from injury which is probably keeping her from any Summer comps that she would need to prove herself for the TBA spot at SA. Now, she's precluded from the SL Senior B due to the choice of Hicks and Cesario. Will she be well enough to do something like Nebelhorn or Ondrej Nepela in September? If not, there is no chance for that TBA spot.

She would probably have to go to something like Ice Challenge or Golden Spin to prove herself in time for Nationals in January. Her road is a lot narrower than I would've thought.

22. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

I think because Czisny has received much generous support from USFS over the years, I'd really rather see Hicks or Cesario get the TBA at Skate America. JMO, obviously. :)

23. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Sasha and pretty much every other lady skater skated to the film score R&J. Ashley is skating to the Prokofiev ballet score. Totally different so I don't think a comparison will hold much water. I just hope Ashley doesn't use that horribly ponderous Dance of the Knights section that keeps turning up in skating programs.

24. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Robeye and (deleted member) like this.
  25. Sylvia

26. Robeye

Robeye Curiously curious

Beat me to it. The vid quality was fuelling me with nerd rage, though :p.

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

For such a dramatic opening, the ending was kind of anti-climatic. Still, I am glad she is taking the Anna Rechnio style instead of the Angela Nikodinov one. Especially with this camera angle, she seems to be filling up the ice wonderfully and effortlessly which I think is her biggest asset besides her jumps.

She still needs a lot of polishing up. She seems to be holding her moves longer than last season in the choreo sequence but it still looks rushed through and incomplete. Love the splits in both directions though (please stretch more!).

28. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I thought her jumps looked great, as did her spins. I'm glad they chose more powerful sections of the piece, but agree about the ending being a bit anti-climactic. I can't wait to see it at the Skating Classic in Salt Lake! (Even if it is on IN! :) )

29. RD

RD Well-Known Member

It's only July so I'm reserving judgment, at least until I can see it in (much) better quality.

30. olympic

^Thanks to the person who took the video, but I needed a telescope LOL