U.S. Ladies [#7] Wagner's Rink Cycle

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vagabond, Feb 10, 2013.

1. rosewood

rosewood Whoa! Samurai battles!

Ashley cancelled participating in THE ICE TOUR(on 24th and 25th July in Aichi, and on 27th and 28th in Osaka Japan) because of her schedule.
    http://www2.ctv.co.jp/theice/?p=223

As some of you were worrying, her schedule was too tight back and forth traveling to Asia. It's good for her to take enough time to train with RA.

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Thanks, rosewood! I've re-posted your news in 2 relevant threads in GSD. (ETA: Mirai Nagasu was added to The ICE cast last month.)

Re-posting from the Broadmoor Open competition thread in Kiss and Cry and the Program Music thread in GSD:
    Edmunds won the Senior Ladies SP event with a score of 58.81.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  3. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Yes, thanks for posting. I recall seeing Karen then (must have been the first time I saw her), and her talent was obvious and impressive then too. And what a great job she did with those butterfly wings! That was a great concept for her and she did an excellent job. ITA with the commentators re that wow :eek: 3-lutz she pulled off skating in an exhibition with butterfly wings in hand. That said, it's just hard to know how young skaters with lots of talent are going to fare down the road. It's always a good idea for coaches and parents to to keep such a progeny's development balanced and avoid too much hype.

Karen has obviously grown since that exhibition, and as others have mentioned her lines and artistic sensibilities are blossoming quite wonderfully for a skater at her stage of development. I hope she continues to develop in a fruitful and positive way, and that as she matures she will still be 100% committed and able to reach her full potential.

Is she still coached by Tammy Gambill? One thing Karen might work on at some point is improving her leg position in the layback.

4. Sylvia

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  5. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Thanks. I saw Gambill listed on Karen's website. I hadn't checked out Karen's USFS bio. Tammy sure has a slew of talented skaters. Where and how does she find the time and make it all work, I wonder?

AxelAnnie and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Sylvia

Courtney Hicks article about her program music, choreographers, and goals for this season: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130703&content_id=52567666&vkey=ice_news
    ETA "Five favorite things with Yasmin Siraj": http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130702&content_id=52449490&vkey=ice_news

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  7. Sylvia

8. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Skate Milwaukee is this weekend. Last year Gracie Gold did the sp, I believe and Kiri Baga won the ladies. Any chance they or other national caliber skaters will be back?

9. Sylvia

Yes, I heard Gracie Gold plans to debut her "Sleeping Beauty" FS at Skate Milwaukee on Saturday.

10. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

^^^Boy I wished she had picked a different piece of music. I don't think she has the artistic "chops" to pull off the sophisticated and nuanced performance that would save it from being "cutsie" and Gracie is too bold for teenage-cute.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  11. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Ha! I wanted Gracie to skate to Chaikovsky, although I really wanted it to be the Piano Concerto No. 1. I agree with you AA, Sleeping Beauty is more Mao's department and that lovely Chinese skater, Li Zijun.

12. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Thanks, Sylvia!!!

Here is my long winded report :)

I saw Gracie's LP today. She was anxious, and while she did a flawless 3z3t in the warmup, and at least 2 other flawless, epic 3z's in the warmup, she had a bit of a lean with a pause on the landing of her opening 3z. She still managed a very nice 3t on the end of the lutz, though, so good for her.

Her jump layout was...3z3t, 3sal, 3loop (she hung in the air FOREVER on this, it may have been doubled today), then 2a, ina into 2z, 2(?)a2t (wonky on the axel), 2f2t(? not sure about the combo) After the opening section she obviously backed off the jumps. I'm not 100% sure of the order of the last 4 jumping passes. Also, she may have wanted to do the 2a3t combo where the first 2a is, or perhaps she was just ahead of the music. It looks like she's supposed to end that jumping pass on a big clash of the cymbals

I really loved the music cuts and the program as a whole!!! There is a LOT going on in this program, transitions wise, and she handled those very well, although she did seem to rush through the inside spread eagle at the end. I really liked the ending, although today she seemed to end up too close to the boards. There was a part after the step sequence where I thought she didn't make it work, but 85% of the program she pulled off very well. It is a lot more lyrical than last year's effort, but it's not a ridiculously insipid pwetty pwincess program. They let her power shine through. The dress....well, it's pink. But she handles the choreography very well and it doesn't look unnatural on her for the vast majority of the program. She's got parts she can improve on, to be sure, but this is a very good vehicle for her, imo. There is just one little arm gesture at the very beginning that doesn't fit AT ALL and has to go. You'll know it when you see it.

Her flying spin is a 1 foot combo instead of flying camel this year. Her combo spin had 2 variations on the forward sit, but she only showed one in the actual competition, iirc. She ends the change foot combo with a very nice simple layback (yeah!!!). The new variation was like a shoot the duck with a twist position. It looked interesting enough, without being a struggle for her. Her final spin is a layback/beilman. All spins are very well choreographed to the music.

All in all, the program seemed to take 2 minutes. She's in great shape and covers a ton of ice. She gains speed effortlessly, it's remarkable to watch. And watching her jump live, I don't know how to describe them - she simultaneously shows effortless power and ...daintiness... for lack of a better word. It's all so clean and effortless. She doesn't shock with her height, but she just stays airborne for so long. She looked very focused and a bit anxious today, but she reacted very well when things went a bit south here and there (the 1st lutz and the 2nd axel). She kept her warm up jacket on a long time, but it is always chilly in this arena. Oh - and she cut her hand again, I think on a catchfoot spin. She seemed to enjoy showing her sister, who was waiting to take the ice when Gracie came off. Hopefully she will gain confidence as the year goes on.

There were some big guns on the judging panel. I think I heard Gale Tanger's name and another nationals caliber judge who's name I forget. David Santee was the caller.

I missed the first 2 skaters of the 2nd group, but was able to see everyone else. For the most part, it seems that choroegraphers have adjusted to COP and the tweaks to COP have helped immensely. I saw some very nice choreography today!

ETA: Gracie had a 113 something for her FS. Given all the doubles, it seems a bit high. But it's a very good program in every respect, so I'm guessing the PCS is high.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  13. Sylvia

Thanks, Coco, for cross-posting your impressions of Gracie Gold's FS debut today from the Kiss and Cry forum.

Gracie scored 113.96 (54.25 TES/60.71 PCS -1 for time deduction?) at Skate Milwaukee today, landing 4 triples (was told 3Lz+3T, 3S, 3Lo, 2A) and I heard she focused on her choreography in the second half and watered down her remaining jumps (2F, 2Lz, 1A+2T).

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  14. rosewood

^^^Thanks for a report in detail, Coco. You are the best! YAY Sounds Gracie's Sleeping Beauty is so nice. Hopefully someone will upload a video. I'm thrilled.:encore:

15. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Sounds like Gracie has made strides to really perform her programs and listen to the music more. The key will be to do it in big time competitions when the nerves are there.

16. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Looks like she knows where she needs to improve and is making the necessary adjustments. Curious to see how she develops this season...again, for her I think it's gonna be 90+% mental. She'll be in great shape, ready to go but will her mind be where it needs to be?

17. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I agree. I think the only person that can stop Gracie is Gracie herself.

18. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I can't wait to see this program. I really want to like Gracie.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  19. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Active Member

Thanks for the detailed report on Gracie. Can't wait to see this program!

20. Sylvia

Courtney Hicks debuted her Senior SP at LA Open yesterday to the Soul Surfer soundtrack (click on the article link in post #906 above for more info on her programs). She tweeted this 15-second video clip that includes her big 3F+3T combo (she reportedly landed 3Lz, fell on 2A & scored 58 points for 1st place): http://instagram.com/p/butG9MF9g9/

21. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

Glad to hear the encouraging report on Gracie's LP. Also the thread needs a bump due to all the polls being started in the Trash Can.

22. rosewood

Thanks, Sylvia. Her 3F+3T is just gorgeous. I hope she stays healthy and keeps up constancy throughout the season. Can't wait to see the whole program. Are there any report on her sipins? I love her remarkable spins, too.

23. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Thank you, Sylvia! :)

24. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Thanks Sylvia. Courtney Hicks overcame a lot after she broke her leg at her JGP, and hopefully she can continue to build momentum as the season continues!

Huge 3F + 3T combo!!

25. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Is it confirmed that Hicks will stay on JGP or move along to GP (awaiting a SA spot)?

26. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Huge jumps. If she tightens them up a little more, we'll have another Tonya Harding on our hands.

27. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

When I saw her skate live in Oz a couple of years ago her jumps were so very much higher than everyone else she was against it was incredible. Everyone was talking about it. I was surprised there seemed to be so much negativity from the US FSU board members on here towards her. Saying how she is such an ungainly skater.

28. BmcC102

BmcC102 Active Member

For me, Hicks has the most fantastic jumps of any US lady right now, although Gracie's are fantastic too. I couldn't stop watching her Nationals Exhibition from this year, for the 3 flip with arms over her head (with prettiest arm position of anyone doing this right now, IMO) and a huge 3 lutz which was powerful and perfectly timed to the music. There is something about the power, edging, and rotation that just makes them look amazing to me.

29. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Courtney is a little all over the place when she skates. She has a high level of energy which is great but she needs to rein it in a bit and control it so that she doesn't look so rushed and frantic. Her jumps are rather huge but they aren't pretty and she often gets hit with < and even << which is crazy when you see how high she jumps. Like Olympic, said Courtney needs to work on tightening up her air position and she needs to work on her lines and smoothing her skating out.

I'm not much a fan of Courtney or Gracie at this point but I do prefer Gracie's cleaner (but much stiffer) jumps than Courtney's loose somewhat sloppy jumps. Both girls need maturity and refinement and hopefully they'll gain that. I could see a really great rivalry developing b/w the two of them in the years to come...

30. Sylvia

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013