U.S. Ladies [#7] Wagner's Rink Cycle

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vagabond, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

No word on what Mirai Nagasu is up to?

2. rosewood

rosewood Wheeee! Wonder babies!

@SkatingLesson tweeted on 16th June:
    Then someone asked who is coaching her, and the answer is:

3. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Gracie started last season with some crazy technical content too but had to scale it back. I wish she would just focus on her consistency and not try to do more then she can handle. She can't afford meltdowns in an Olympic year she needs to at least make the team.

4. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Needs to at least make the team? Although her agent and USFS have been giving her a big push, so her being on the team is presumed by many, I think a lot of other competitors are going to give her a run for the money at Nationals.

5. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Yes, it's by no means a done deal. BUT - if she finds even a moderate amount of consistency, she'll be tough to beat.

6. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

It does, I wouldn't be surprised if she started trying this combo because it's harder to go onto the outside edge when coming out of the axel and loop. This combo could be a good vehicle to get +GOE on a flip jumping pass.

7. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

How many points is that worth?

8. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Nice. :)

I imagine we won't be seeing that in her program though. ;)

9. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

Go go triple axel Mirai. Stay healthy this season please!

10. Jammers

The last thing Mirai needs to be trying is a triple axel. She needs to first rotate her triple jumps.

11. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Skaters often practice harder jumps in order to improve their other jumps.

For example, Gracie Gold's latest Instagram video today shows her landing a 'Rippon' triple Lutz and flip (new for her) in practice: http://instagram.com/p/bElEU_rAvT/
    Courtney Hicks landed a 3F with her arms overhead in her 2013 Nationals exhibition.

I forgot to link to this news thread I started in GSD earlier this week: Wagner picks Arutunian to join coaching team

Also, USFS posted/tweeted this video link last week as part of their "Throw Back Thursday" #TBT series:
    "Christina Gao provided U.S. Figure Skating this video of her pre-juvenile FS from the 2004 EGL Regional." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80gwDOUe88Q

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  12. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Gracie is a killer practice skater. Hopefully she'll be able to bring that kind of skating to her competitive performances.

13. Sylvia

14. rosewood

2A-3T-3T =3.3+4.4+4.4= 11.5
    2A-1Lo-3F=3.3+0.5+5.3= 9.1
    3F+2T+2T=5.3*1.3+1.3=7.9

She jumped 3F+2T+2T combo this season. If she changes it to 2A-3T-3T she can earn 3.6 points more, and if to 2A-1Lo-3F she can earn 1.2 points more.

15. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I suspect the 2A+3T+3T is only for training purposes. Using two 3T's in one jumping pass limits the repetition of higher value jumps on top of being very risky.

16. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

^ Yeah, but she already does two triple toes in her program anyway.

17. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I would hope she is working on her artistic presentation as well. She has great content, but her programs last year (IMO) were quite juniorish. She has a big jump to make, and a hard year to make it in.

18. AxelAnnie

I really love her, and hope she has a fabulous season.

19. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Tagging a 3toe after a 3lutz is probably easier than after a 2axel3toe. And she is going to have to train the 3lutz3toe for the short program anyway.

20. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

21. rosewood

Thank you for posting the link, burntBREAD. It's nice to see a good performance at this very early time of the season(still in June, though) from Caren. Stay healthy and go for it!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  22. Jammers

I've never liked the arms over the head move to me it's to showy.

23. Sylvia

Thanks for the video link to Karen Chen's SP, burntBREAD! :)

Posted earlier in this thread:
    ETA link to the Broadmoor Open competition thread (the 2013-14 Kiss and Cry forum should be viewable to all until around July 1st before the paid subscription kicks in): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?88443-2013-Broadmoor-Open-June-26-29-(-webcast-info)
    Polina Edmunds had a nice Senior debut yesterday in SP (scored 58.81); Barbie Long has the SP high score (60.09) overall in the Junior Ladies SP Only event on Thursday. Mariah Bell also made her Senior debut - 55.55 in SP yesterday. All 3 should be on the JGP this year.

24. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Gracie's edge on the 3F is looking much better!

And Chen has never looked better. Gorgeous, clean triple jumps. Switching to Gambill was a fantastic decision. She's going to tear up the JGP this year.

25. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting. I haven't seen a great deal of Karen Chen. Obviously, she still has maturing and further refining to do and gaining more competitive experience. However, at this stage of her development, I'm impressed with the preciseness of her movements, her solid technique and her ice coverage. She also seems to have a good feel for the music which I imagine will improve as she matures.

26. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Lovely skate by Karen Chen! I think she and Sakhanovich will be THE ones to watch this year in the JGP.

27. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

I'm shocked that there are people saying that Gracie's Flip edge looks better. To me, it looks almost exactly like it did throughout last season.

There isn't even a hint of inside edge, and I would not even say that it hits a flat edge like Yuna's sometimes does. I'll get excited when I see at very least a flat edge on her flip.

28. AxelAnnie

WOW! Karen Chen's artistry, musicality and choreography are way beyond her years (Hello Gracie - pay attention here). I can't speak to the technical level....but she looks pretty dang fabulous to me!

29. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Active Member

Karen Chen has some GORGEOUS lines. That spiral is beautiful! Can't wait to see more of her!

30. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Karen has been on my radar for the last two years and I'm really happy to see her continue to develop into a lovely skater. I just remember how she blew me away with her exhibition number in 2012 when she won the US novice championship. If you haven't seen it check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9Y-bzrkJlU

I hope she has a good run on the JGP this year.

shan and (deleted member) like this.