U.S. Ladies [#7] Wagner's Rink Cycle

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vagabond, Feb 10, 2013.

1. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Well, you are a much better person than me, and I'm fine with that. ;)

2. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Yes, she was a merely above-average skater...but at the same time, the Olympics were probably the one competition where I think she should have scored higher. Particularly in the FS.

At the same time, IMO she didn't deserve the National championship that year (that was Nagasu's) so I guess things even out in the end

3. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Meissner's jumps were worse than Flatt's however. Flatt in her prime could do a rotated 3f-3t, whereas Meissner's 3-3s were blatant toeaxels that were pre-rotated on the takeoff and short on the landing. She would have been destroyed under the IJS the way it is today, be the American equivalent of Satoko Miyahara. Kimmie was lucky to be skating so well before the scrutiny over URs got really strict, because hers were very apparent and that toe axel would not have flied under the current system. In terms of basics and speed, yes she was better than Flatt, but technically she was not. Flatt also never fell 3+ times in a FS like Meissner was frequently doing toward the end of her career.

4. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Even when Flatt landed her jumps they were always kind of messy with the entrance with very little flow out and not that much height. Yes she rarely fell but you were never that impressed even when she skated clean.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  5. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

It's Ashley turn to make a trip to Nike's headquarters in Oregon - she tweeted this photo earlier today:
    "Oh you know, just an elephant shoe...#justmysize #nike" http://instagram.com/p/aOaa5HCr80/

6. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  7. kwanatic

Rachael had odd technique on her lutz (a weird kind of rocking entrance) but her jumps were good...average but good. I disagree about the flow thing though...I've seen skaters with a lot less flow out of jumps. She usually carried a decent amount of speed out of her jumps and I was very appreciative of the way she checked out of her landings (good extension of the free leg). I do agree about the lack of excitement when she skated cleanly. There was something about her that just didn't excite me.

But from 2007/8 through 2010, she was an excellent skater when it came to hitting her jumps and getting the job done.

I definitely agree with Pinky re: Rachael vs Kimmie. Kimmie did have a pre-rotated toe axel and nearly all of her 3-3s especially after 2006 were cheated. Rachael had her faults but she was a solid technician where it counted. I can't say the same thing for Kimmie.

8. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Yet, one has a world championship while the "solid technician" has no medal at all.

In this sport, timing is EVERYTHING...

9. kwanatic

^^Very true...very true indeed.

10. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Nice score, but this looks like the 3rd year in a row where she begins the season gangbusters in the Summer competitions, and then .......

11. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Vanessa Lam skated really well at Sectionals last November (her 177.73 total score at Pacific Coasts was the highest score by a large margin of all the Nationals qualifiers, including Cesario), so it was a shame she missed Nationals due to injury. I'm glad to hear that her new season is off to a good start, especially since she's likely vying with many candidates for a JGP spot.

Ashley Wagner tweeted earlier today that she is headed to Toronto -- I assume for choreography with either Shae Lynn Bourne or David Wilson.

12. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Are Lam's jumps still tiny?

13. pinky166

Unless she's grown (unlikely considering she turns 18 in a week), I would assume yes. Also if she's doing 6 triples and 2a-2a in sequence, that also likely means no 3-3 and no 3s. I like her spins and flexibility, and really enjoyed her Artist FS program last season, but I do have doubts whether she can really break through at Nationals or internationally on the senior level if her jumps stay so small and/or she doesn't up her technical ante. Her PCS have never been very high internationally so she needs to find another way to rack up the points to make it to the top. Also, Lam might be opting to compete as a senior this season instead, and if so could be given senior Bs and considered for the SA spot. This wouldn't surprise me actually, as it would explain why she is competing so early in the summer and is already in such good form. With her injury and missing Nationals, good summer results could help her case to get international assignments this fall, be it JGPs, Senior Bs, or Skate America.

14. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Don't know if this might have been discussed in the Who's dating who thread, but johndockley has teased (in another thread) that Gracie "has a thing going on with one of the U.S. men." If true, not surprising, but I wonder who the guy might be.

15. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Old news. :D Gracie Gold sent Max Aaron cupcakes for his birthday back in February and Max shared her computer-printed (store-generated?) note on his Instagram.

16. aftershocks

^^ :lol: Thx -- thought I might be behind the news/ gossip curve on this one. Cupcakes ... Yum!

17. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Thanks to Ashley who confirmed via Twitter yesterday which choreographer she's working with in Toronto ;):
    "Day two of choreo finished up! So great working with the lovely David Wilson:) #exhausted"

18. aftershocks

^^ I'm looking forward to seeing Ashley's Shae-Lynn choreographed sp, and her lp with choreo by David Wilson. Better yet, when will she reveal her music choices, and what costumes will she come up with? :)

19. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Weird how in the regular world, this kind of gesture would be romantic. But in the skating world, it's always "friendly." Everyone is just in a big old friendly gang.

20. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

USFS tweeted this "Throwback Thursday" video today:
    "#TBT Alissa Czisny's winning 2001 U.S. Championships free skate as a junior." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8OLyiFslCw
    Alissa was 13 years old when she won her first National medal (silver) at her first Nationals in Boston. She skated to music from Gounod's Faust ballet. Her twin sister Amber finished 5th in the same event.

ETA that I posted a new interview with Rachael Flatt in her thread in GSD two days ago: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...achael-Flatt&p=3937807&viewfull=1#post3937807

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  21. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Agnes Zawadzki is the third U.S. lady (after Gao and Flatt) to be interviewed by this website: http://athletego.com/2013/06/14/agneszawadzki/
    Included are photos from 2012 Rostelecom Cup, her New York City Figure Skating in Harlem trip in April, and posing with her mother.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  22. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Ashley has arrived in Korea for "All That Skate" rehearsals - event thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...-(Jun-21-23)&p=3940322&viewfull=1#post3940322

The following International Selection Pool (ISP) skaters are scheduled to compete this weekend...

Yasmin Siraj (SP on Friday evening/FS on Sat.) and Kiri Baga (FS) at Boston Open - will post link to the live, free stream if/when it becomes available (a Boston Open competition thread will likely be started in the Kiss and Cry forum).

Juniors Karen Chen (J4 at Nationals), Tyler Pierce N1, Amy Lin N2, and Elizabeth Nguyen N5 (all coached by Tammy Gambill) at SoCal Interclub in Paramount, CA.

Junior Brianna Laxson (J8) at Chesapeake Open in Laurel, MD (also Franchesca Chiera and Nationals competitors Maria Yang and Jessica Hu in Senior and Brynne McIsaac N10 in Junior).

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  23. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

Wow! Kudos to Ashley for nabbing a much-coveted spot on the ATS Summer tour with Yuna! She's the only other eligible Senior lady (other than Yuna of course) on the tour. So cool :)

24. pinky166

Cute video of Alissa. It seemed like she had more speed and attack then at 13 years old...plus her 2a was terrific, I wonder if she changed her technique on that jump when she switched coaches because as far as I can tell, it has never looked that good since.

25. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

And also Japan Open.

So she has a market in both Japan and Korea. :)

26. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

She's into Japan Open again? :) Great for her honestly! Those are the big two markets in skating, if she's marketable there then that's unreal. Gold will also be very marketable in the near future.

27. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Yes - here's the event thread that was started in GSD yesterday: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?88397-Japan-Open-2013

Wagner and Gold will perform in the ICE shows in Japan, July 24-28: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?87851-The-ICE-2013-in-Japan-July-24-28

Boston Open competition thread in Kiss and Cry with live stream link (Friday-Saturday 6/21-22): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?88411-2013-Boston-Open-live-free-webcast-June-21-22

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  28. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Due to technical issues, the Boston Open couldn't be streamed this past weekend. Siraj's and Baga's Senior SP & FS scores are posted in the event thread linked above.

Broadmoor Open competition thread in Kiss and Cry: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?88443-2013-Broadmoor-Open-June-26-29-(-webcast-info)
    Scheduled to compete in Senior Ladies: Mariah Bell J2 at 2013 Nationals, Morgan Bell S18, Ashley Cain S12, Polina Edmunds J1, and possibly Angela Wang S9 in the SP Only event.
    Junior Ladies include: Isabella Dow, Morgan Flood N4, Amber Glenn J5, Barbie Long J3, Ashley Shin N11, Bradie Tennell N3, Selena Zhao.

Other notable competition performances this past weekend:

Hannah Miller reportedly landed 3Lz+2T and 3Lo in her SP (51.19) and 5 triples in her Senior FS (109.61) at the Grand Rapids Open in Michigan. Miller's new programs are choreographed by Daniil Barantsev: "Firebird" by Stravinsky (SP) & "Primavera" by Ludovico Einaudi (FS) - as posted in her blog on her official site: http://figureskatersonline.com/hannahmiller/main/blog/

At the SoCal Interclub competition in Paramount, CA, Karen Chen reportedly landed 3Lz+3T with + GOE and scored 61.34 in the Junior Ladies SP. I believe she did not compete in the FS event.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  29. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

30. cx3dude

cx3dude New Member

Am I crazy or does the 3F edge look a LOT better?