1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

U.S. Ladies [#7] Wagner's Rink Cycle

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vagabond, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Club comp. season is here!

Ashley Wagner's interview with a Seattle TV news station at her final Stars on Ice tour stop in Vancouver last weekend (includes clips of her skating in the show and appearances by her fellow cast members): http://www.king5.com/sports/US-figure-skater-eyes-2014-Sochi-medal-stand-207959541.html

ETA 2 photos tweeted by Seattle local news station KING5 on location last week in Vancouver:
    "In beautiful Vancouver w/ ashwagner2010 Great interview. Final night for @starsonice Canadian tour" http://pic.twitter.com/jKtbyMgh0n

"The @starsonice folks hit the streets of Vancouver, @AshWagner2010 & @Pchiddy mugging for the camera." http://pic.twitter.com/GlFodVwVFK

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  2. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

Happy birthday Caroline !!!! :respec: :encore:

As for competing, she will probably get at least one GP event. ( I hope. )

3. Sylvia

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  4. IceAlisa

IceAlisa discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado

Wow. Caroline Zhang is 20! Where did the time go???!!!! Happy birthday and best of luck in the coming season! :cheer2:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. mkats

mkats New Member

That's just what I was thinking! I still remember when she first broke onto the scene as a junior and my mom called me all excited, having read about her in some Chinese newspaper where they explained that her name was "OO" (yuanyuan in Chinese, sounding like "round-round")

Time flies! :)

6. icellist

icellist Active Member

Just wondering what y'all think...

Who's the better 6.0 skater: Caroline Zhang or Mirai Nagasu?

7. key65man

key65man New Member

I would love to see Caroline, Mirai and Rachael in Sochi. That would be neither realistic nor good for figure skating, I guess.

Realistically, I want Agnes, Gracie and Ashley. If Agnes can put it together in a year or two, and Gracie keeps it up in the meantime, I think that there may be a rivalry between them. Can that positively affect figure skating in U.S.? I think so. Agnes and Gracie for the 2013-2014!:cheer2:

8. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

The first two years of Caroline's senior career were really good. She medaled at both of her GPs (bronze and silver) and came in 4th at the final. 4th at nationals with a beautiful FS and 2nd a junior worlds. The next year it became apparent her technique issues were a problem but she she still managed some really good performances and good placements (bronze at a GP and nationals, 4th at 4CC (behind the future Olympic medalists) and another medal at junior worlds).

After that everything went downhill. I will say for a while there Caroline cranked out really solid programs with consistency...much better than Mirai ever managed to do. Mirai's overall skating is far superior to Caroline's but I really wish Mirai had some of Caroline's focus.

It's strange how in 2008 we were looking at these two as the future. Various setbacks and pitfalls have prevented either from becoming the major world competitor we'd thought they would be.

Mirai still has a chance reclaim some of that 2010 magic but I don't think Caroline will ever get her basic skating to where she needs to be in order to compete at the top level of US skating. I love her to pieces and I wish her the best. Her Ave Maria and Lullaby for a Stormy Night are programs I will always love...

9. Sylvia

Polina Edmunds skated her Senior FS at her club's competition this past Saturday (also her 15th birthday :)) and scored 101.22 points (no detailed protocol available). She had scored 107.76 in her winning Junior FS at Gardena Spring Trophy in early April - I'll re-post the Gardena video link here in a minute.

ETA:
    Edmunds' Gardena Junior FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqJKpEQwWOs
    She debuted a new program to Edvard Grieg's Peer Gynt Suite in Italy (her SP video from there hasn't shown up).

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  10. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

Agnes? She's not exactly a newbie any longer and the girl has never skated a senior long program that was anything beyond mediocre. I'm getting major Nikodinov vibes from her. Sure, she can skate a great short most of the time, but she can't make it through a long program, even with less technical merit than most of her competitors. I say Gao all the way.

11. Sylvia

12. Sylvia

I somehow missed seeing this April 15 sports business news article about Nike's new sponsorship deal with Gracie Gold: http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2013/04/15/Olympics/Nike-Gold.aspx
    Based on tweets within the past 2 days, Gold just visited Nike headquarters in Oregon:
    http://pic.twitter.com/0lkwOGssQv
    http://pic.twitter.com/oSc6fKWvux
    With 3-time Olympic gold medalist beach volleyball player Misty May-Treanor (trying a sit spin on the floor!): http://instagram.com/p/ZlpA-8LAiV/

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  13. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

Interesting how Nike jumped on the singles "band wagon"...but not Meryl, who is already an Olympic medalist, and just about guaranteed a medal in Sochi? Can't say the same for Wagner or Gold.

14. Sylvia

Looks like U.S. ladies singles figure skaters still are considered the most marketable "commodities" by the biggest corporations. At least Meryl Davis & Charlie White are sponsored by Kellogg's heading into the Olympics.

15. key65man

key65man New Member

Badmouthing Agnes….check….inspiring nick….check….my enemy list….check…:revenge:

Actually, I quite understand your sentiment, and I will be happy to see Christina make the Oly team ahead of Agnes.

But, I do like Agnes because she can create a bit more unique aesthetics on the ice right now. Although I am not all too happy with her Gershwin LP in terms of choreography and performance, David Wilson may do some good for her with a Tango LP as he did with the SP. she may be able to do a better job with it than Christina with her Libertango LP because I think Agnes has better artistic disposition.

I hope that Agnes can pull off either 3Lz-3T or 3Lo and 2A-3T or at least 2A-3T next season. And, if she can manage no more than one mistake for LP at the same time, she may even be able to challenge both Ashley and Gracie at Nationals. Too optimistic? Sure. But, considering that Agnes did well with her LPs when she was junior, it is not out of reach.

Though she looks incredibly fit, to improve her jump, Agnes somehow may need to find a way to lose a few more pounds as long as the weight loss doesn't affect her metabolism and energy level negatively. Weight control is half the battle for ladies, and "fit" sometimes doesn't cut it in this business.

The next season is critical for her. I hope she makes it.

16. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I don't think Agnes' weight is an issue so much as her height, and maybe her general build overall where she has broader hips, which usually is not good for figure skating. The girl is all muscle and very thin and wiry through her upper body, if she lost weight, it would have to come in the form of muscle, which is unlikely to help her jumps. At 5'7" though it's not surprising she's not the most consistent jumper, you don't see many ladies of that height at the very top. Carolina is the exception, but she used to be really inconsistent too and her incredible speed helps her pull off the jumps, Agnes doesn't have the same kind of speed and further, Carolina's build is different as she really has no hips and her height is all in her legs. The other thing I wonder about is if Agnes' jumps aren't the most consistent because they are so huge. It must be harder to control the landing of these jumps when you go so high in the air.

17. key65man

key65man New Member

Her jumps are big, and I agree with you that the size of her jumps is an important factor affecting her landing consistency. A bit more precisely, though, it is the total energy involved in a jump, and the total energy of a jump is correlated with weight. Shedding a few pounds can improve landing consistency in general.

I absolutely agree with you that her height may be one of the big disadvantages for Agnes. But, there is nothing she can do about it. She can do something about weight, though. Of course, provided that the weight loss does not diminish her ability to function normally.

I know weight loss sounds bad because she looks so fit and thin already. But, it is the Oly season. Agnes will have to do everything possible to gain a slight advantage.

Then again, her landing inconsistency may be a technical issue -- I don’t think it is, but only she and her coaches can know about it -- or it can be entirely psychological. If she can rectify it without losing any weight, then shame on me.

If she does well in Grand Prix events without losing any more weight next season, then she should keep things status quo. If not, she may have to try some slow, well controlled weight loss.

18. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Would like to see a dark horse, like Polina Edmunds for example, be the shining star at Nationals this pre-Olympic season!

19. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

^^I think Polina is still too new. I think someone like Courtney Hicks or Angela Wang has the most potential to shine at nationals. If Polina can get past the puberty monster unharmed I think she will put pressure on Gold and the rest of the post-Sochi US ladies. She's a little star already but I'm thinking her time will be later on.

20. demetriosj

Courtney Hicks has overcome a lot to get her jumps back after breaking her leg! (this in and of itself deserved a huge fluff piece on TV, IMHO, unless I missed something) Think she was on the way to becoming USFS's next anointed one until she broke her leg.....& her jumps are huge!!

Angela Wang has big, powerful jump combinations, and lots of star power, so I guess both she and Hicks could be considered dark horses in the race at US Nationals next year.

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  21. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

According to her twitter, Ashley Cain will compete at the Broadmoor Open next month.

I'm looking forward to seeing who else will compete there. Polina Edmunds has gone for the past couple of years.

22. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I thinbk it's obvious that US Ladies are in a much better position post Sochi then in the last 2 Olympic games especially in terms of depth. After 2006 with Kwan and Sasha retired you had Kimmie and Emily and that's it. After Vancouver you had Mirai, Rachael and Ashley but now after Sochi even if Ashley and Mirai retire you have Gracie, Agnes, Gao, Hicks, Wang and Edmunds just to start with.

23. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Too soon to tell. We don't know how many will flame out early.

How many suspected in 2006 that Meissner/Hughes (promising up-and-comers at the time) would fail to be relevant in just two short years?

24. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Hicks and Wang are both great talents but they don't have the star appeal of Edmunds IMO. Polina just has that personality that's infectious, and she has the hard jumps plus great spins, lines, and already is pretty strong artistically for one so young. She's had lots of dance training and it shows, she's very graceful even while being all limbs.

Courtney to me really needs to work on becoming more graceful and artistic, to me she sometimes seems like a bull in a china shop, the explosive jumps and power cannot be ignored, but until she learns to control them, her skating is still a bit clunky and all over the place for my liking. When she won the junior title she seemed to have more star quality and verve so maybe it's just a matter of time until that comes back, but in the meantime, I feel like it would just help her to breathe and take her time with the elements so everything doesn't come off as rushed, frenetic, and sometimes sloppy.

Wang is a very well-rounded skater and she has great jump technique and nice artistry too. I guess the biggest thing is I find her a bit boring. If she can overcome her SP demons, I think she could do very well. Her spins and lines aren't the best though, I think probably because she's not as flexible as some of the other girls. And she's also an introverted performer, so I think her artistry maybe gets overlooked a lot because it's subtle. Her body type is also working against her, not in terms of weight, just in that she's short with short legs that don't fully straighten, so the effect of the spins and spirals isn't as wow as someone like Polina. But that's just minor, it shouldn't hold her back much. The consistency is what needs to be addressed as well as projecting to the audience more. If she's naturally shy, that might make things tougher, but I think a good choreographer could bring some distinct personality out of her.

25. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

Judging my Gracie's twitter it looks like she was signed by Nike. Very nice for her! :cheer:

Did I miss the announcement?

26. Sylvia

27. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

Should have known you'd be on it Sylvia! :lol:

Also probably should have read through some of the thread. :shuffle:

28. demetriosj

I agree. Some posters feel she is too young, or too "new", but IMHO I feel that if she outskates the faves, she should win. I disagree with the wait your turn attitude from the judges.

29. Sylvia

At this point, the second highest known Senior Ladies FS score of the early club competition season is by Panthers FSC's Franchesca Chiera (96.01) with 4 clean triples landed: 3Lz+2T, 3F+2T, 3Lz<, 3F, 3Lo+2Lo+2Lo<, 2A, 1S. Chiera, who will turn 16 in October and is coached by Artem Torgashev and Ilona Melnichenko in Coral Springs, Florida, had placed 5th in a competitive field of Novice Ladies at 2013 South Atlantic Regionals in October 2012. Her Senior FS at the Florida Open in early April was to Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts8Y3GxZR5o

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  30. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

Well, Kimmie was a surprise being WC, but I never thought Emily was relevant for anything other than assisting with 3 spots. Which is great in hindsight LOL.