U.S. Ladies [#7] Wagner's Rink Cycle

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vagabond, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Here's a new "Five favorite things" with Courtney Hicks: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130507&content_id=46848842&vkey=ice_news
    Excerpt:
    Her love of photography, particularly nature, is obvious via her Instagram account (courtneynhicks).

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  2. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

3. Sylvia

4. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Mine too. :cool:

5. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Wow. Clearly, you only want your favorites to be held up. Also, you must have some kind of crystal ball into Nagasu's future. She's very young still. Other skaters have resurrected their careers in their 20's. Mirai could too. And until she retires I intend to go right on believing in her. :p
    THIS!

6. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

7. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

8. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

I can't see Gracie doing a ballerina program at all, but hopefully she'll surprise me.

9. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Safe, boring and predictable princess choice for Gold. They were not going to take risks for Sochi. I am sure that Zoueva will give her better transitions, elements composition and overall choreography. Brown's work was really too basic for her.

10. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Gracie really needs a program that shows off her power and speed. Skating to The Sleeping Beauty is for the pwetty princess type skaters which Gracie is not. Hopefully working with Marina will help Gracie with her posture and performance level.

11. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

I am glad Gracie is reaching outside her inner circle for choreography. I hope she and Marina will produce something really good, she has improved so much the last season.

12. kwanatic

I'd have expected something a little more powerful to showcase Gracie's speed and power (duh) but a challenge is always good. I don't find Gracie to be particularly graceful. When I think Sleeping Beauty I think of a delicate, elegant or lyrical skater and Gracie is none of those.

Zoueva is good so hopefully she'll be able to smooth Gracie out, slow her down and bring that elegance and graceful style out of her...but she has her work cut out for her.

Judging by her skating last season I can't see it right now but hopefully Gracie will change my mind.

13. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

It won't have any awkward shoulder-shimmying or face-fanning, so yes.

14. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

I think Gracie's speed will translate well to pretty much any music. Minus the shoulder-shimmy and face-fanning I will be a lot happier.

Any updates on Mirai?

15. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Generally, I think you either got it or you don't performance-wise. You shouldn't have to work that hard at it.

Someone like Polina, for example, has it already, at age 14!

16. Sylvia

17. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

:eek: Caroline must be ripped! :lol:

18. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Whoa, Caroline! :eek: Strong!

19. mag

mag Well-Known Member

You can keep saying this, but it won't make it true. Spend some time watching free skate sessions for kids in the early stages of figure skating - prelim, per Juv - and you will see lots of time spent working on performance. By the time Polina was seen by the world, she had gone through hours and hours of training to get that "natural" performance look.

20. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I noted how skinny Caroline's legs look. Does the TV distort that much?

21. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

No kidding. But if you still don't have it by 17, chances are you're not going to see much improvement performance-wise.

22. keep n spin n

keep n spin n Member

On a positive note: The SLeeping Beauty Score is very long and there are lots of tempos and variations that they can choose from. Hopefully they will consider the entire score and find the most inspirational.

23. falling_dance

falling_dance Bravo, Patrick.

Probably.

24. kwanatic

Typically when people go the warhorse route they stick to the better known pieces. It'd be neat if they picked lesser known selections but the whole point of a warhorse is the familiarity of the music. We'll see...

WOW Caroline!! That's impressive!! She looks really good from that pic.

Any word yet on whether she is competing this season or not?

25. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Yes, in Pairs, with Grant Hochstein. ;)

26. Sylvia

Yes, she is. Why wouldn't she want to compete? :confused:

27. kwanatic

IDK if she does or doesn't, that's why I asked. Her skating was decent last season but her results were very poor which means she won't get a GP assignment and she'll have to work her way to nationals.

As much as I love Caroline and admire what she's done to improve herself, the likelihood of her reaching the level she needs to be at in order to be competitive is very very low. Her chances of making it to Sochi are zero. So, that's why I asked is she continuing to compete b/c she loves it and that's what she wants to do (which is fine with me) or does she have plans to do something else?

28. Dilng

Dilng Well-Known Member

:respec:This is so true! :)

29. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

She's standing sideways. Caroline has always looked very slim from a profile view, in other words, not much of a butt and legs are very slender from that angle. I think why she appears "bigger" to some people on TV is because she has fairly broad shoulders, a fuller chest, and her quadriceps are very muscular/built up, but that's not as visible sideways. But TV does add weight yes, from the skaters I've met, some really, really thin ones with like no body fat look about the same on TV and in person, but anyone that is a more "normal" build looks quite a bit thinner in person compared to on TV. Further, we've seen Caroline's weight fluctuate a bit over the past few seasons, but for the better part of a year or so, she's looked incredibly fit and very trim, her skating issues have been due to other things (lack of speed and projection mostly) rather than her weight.

30. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Also I agree with what people are saying regarding Gracie and Polina. Polina definitely is a natural performer, I've spotted that since she was an 11 year old novice at Nationals. She has that sassy personality that grabs your attention and always seems to be loving it out on the ice. Gracie does not always seem as comfortable out on the ice and her confidence seems to be mostly the result of hard work with her sports psychologist and achieving such good results at a number of competitions, not something that she's always had naturally. Plus her plastered on pageant-girl smile and stiffness at times also give the impression she isn't relaxed or expressing outward as much as she could. Polina has had a lot of dance training and still takes dance classes which has probably helped her expressiveness and performance quality even more, though she does seem to have the personality naturally (another example would be Mariah Bell, you just want to watch her and she seems to love to perform).