U.S. Ladies [#7] Wagner's Rink Cycle

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vagabond, Feb 10, 2013.

1. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

I would interpret it differently, I would say gracious answers by a very dedicated coach.

But I agree Scott Brown is still in the picture, I was hoping someone with more top caliber experience would be the main choreographer. Carmalengo was mentioned, did he do some of her choreography? If it's Brown again this year, I hope he got the memo that the boob shaking and marching were not so well received.

2. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  3. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

:lol:

Gracie's twitter profile pic is too cute! Features a smiling Liza and Adelina. :D

4. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Perhaps they are grooming her for that 3rd spot next year. Christina has much more of a graceful presence than the current 3rd and 4th place finishers.

5. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I guess I should have specified gold but yeah, a medal would suffice:

No medal for US pairs since Ina/Zimmerman back in 2002...

No medal for ladies since Kimmie/Sasha in back 2006...

No medal in men's since Evan in 2009...

Davis/White are the only US skaters who have had a consistent presence on the podium at worlds for this last quadrennial. The Shibutanis placed 3rd two years ago but haven't medaled since...

6. Sylvia

Ashley Cain, Nina Jiang and Barbie Long are competing their short programs later today at the Skate Dallas club competition. Cain is debuting her Flamenco SP, Jiang is skating last season's Tango SP with a few changes, and Long reportedly has 2 new programs and is staying Junior in the U.S. this season.

7. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

Thank you for the info, Sylvia. I'm rather surprised that Long will stay junior for a third year, but obviously she and her team know best.

8. kwanatic

Several of the girls who have been junior for a while are hanging back and I think it's smart. I don't think they will gain the recognition they need if they debut next season...everyone will be too focused on the big names as they head to Sochi. Debuting seniors will be an afterthought...

After Sochi there is going to be a rather large changing of the guard with pretty much all of the top names retiring (Yu-Na, Carolina, Akiko, possibly Mao, Kanako, Kiira). They'll be able to come in fresh...

9. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

LOL. The season just ended. I'd forgotten about Nina Jiang. She has talent and I'd like to see her realize it on the ice.

10. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Just a reminder: if you're in the Twin Cities this weekend, Agnes Zawadzki will be skating at the Coon Rapids Ice Center tonight (4/27) at 6:30 p.m. and tomorrow (4/28) at 2:00 p.m. She will skate two programs both days. :cheer:

Tickets for the show are $7/adults; $5 students/seniors, and can be purchased at the door.

11. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Not that surprised about Barbie Long. She is very talented but was only 3rd at Nationals (with all of Polina's URs and Mariah's multiple mistakes in the FS) and has only competed in one JGP to date. Even with the 3rd spot on the Olympic team it's highly unlikely she'd have any chance just where she has so little experience/reputation even on the junior international ranks. Her PCS need a lot of work as even at Nationals they were only 45 in the FS, I know she can do 3lz-3t and 2a-3t with ease, but with PCS that low, it's still going to be really hard for her to start getting the scores she'd need to be considered for the team. I also think where she will be competing on the JGP this season and likely has the goal of competing at JW, it makes sense that she might just want to stay junior entirely so as to avoid having to make and train two different versions of her FS for Nationals and then everything else. So, I understand where she's coming from. Plus if she can win Nationals as a junior (there's a strong chance she could with Edmunds moving up to senior and I would presume Bell as well), the odds of her making the JW team are good, whereas skating as a senior, she could feasibly skate well and still be left off the team like Wang and Miller were this season because other age-eligible ladies placed higher and didn't make the Worlds or 4CCs teams and thus got to go to JW instead. So I don't think it's a bad decision at all really. And other posters are probably right that any lady debuting as a senior this season won't be paid much attention to. I know Edmunds is, but she did win juniors this season and has already done 3 seasons of junior at Nationals, and maybe would have some (albeit very small) chance at the 3rd spot due to her technical arsenal/consistency and her PCS being higher than someone like Long.

12. Sylvia

Hope the shows go well and please share some details if you can! :) More info: http://www.coonrapidsicecenter.com/iceshow.htm

On a related note, Mirai Nagasu is scheduled to skate in Amherst, Massachusetts tonight - link to the benefit show thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...w-in-Amherst-Mass-(Nagasu-amp-Boston-skaters)

Gracie Gold and Joshua Farris are the guest skaters at "Showtime on Ice," Friday, April 26 to Sunday, April 28, 2013, at the South Suburban Ice Arena in Centennial, Colorado: http://www.showtimeonice.com/

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  13. mtnskater

mtnskater Well-Known Member

I attended the Sunday version of the South Suburban show in Denver. Gracie was really amazing. Her power for a lady skater in person is mind blowing. I have not seen a US lady skater with this much athletic talent since Harding....and she eclipses Harding with the purity of her technique and her spinning and lines in her spins. Gracie skated to "Girl on Fire" and whipped off a huge triple lutz in spotlight and a shortened rink due to seating and sets on the ice. Her presentation was so much better than earlier in the season for sure! When she first did this number earlier in the season, it was arm-flail city. She actually calmed some of that down and softened and slowed some of that down. Perhaps being at Worlds with Wagner, Kostner, Mao and Yu Na influenced her movement. i saw improvement from Nationals which I attended in Omaha. Her other two jumps were double axels jumping the whole end of each end of the ice arena. I am keeping my fingers crossed for a new choreographer and more artistic improvement for her next season. I am definitely excited about her potential. I posted a quick review of Josh's skate in the Josh/Jason ├╝ber thread.

14. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Sounds good if you think Gracie is getting better in terms of presentation from earlier in the year. I too hope she goes to a top notch choreographer. She seems to be a level headed kid and is willing to do the work to make improvements in her skating. Good to see she's not taking the "Gracie Gold is the future of Ladies skating" too seriously. I do sense that she knows she's good but isn't to cocky about it. With skaters like Mirai and Alissa it seemed at times they lacked the confidence that you need to be consistent winner.

15. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

It is cute! :D I wish Adelina would go back to her natural hair color, it's so much prettier. I don't know why some girls think going so very blond is attractive.

16. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Please, did you see her reaction at Nationals when she realized Ashley had beat her?!!! Not very sportsmanlike.

17. Sylvia

For demetriosj ;) - local Denver article before Gold's shows this past weekend: http://www.denverpost.com/london201...-newest-figure-skating-star-performing-denver
    Thanks very much for sharing your impressions of Gold's skating from the Sunday show, mtnskater! :)

ETA a fan video of her "Showtime on Ice" performance of "Girl on Fire": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbnZeFr_vuU

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  18. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Well, I can understand. It's the heat of the moment, plus Wagner fell twice.

But - Gold lost that title in the short program...she really did. The fact that all other contenders closer to Wagner in the standings also stumbled allowed Wagner to back into the win. A bizarre night for sure.

9th to 2nd is an impressive leap, anyway.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  19. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

i think it is the most interesting thing she has done!

Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

To be honest i'm glad to see someone who wants to win and not just put on a fake smile. Ashley got hated on too at Nats 2010 for showing how much she really wanted to get on that team and not holding it in. And guess what Gracie and Ashley are the best US tandem since Michelle and Sasha because they go for it and don't hold back. It's nice to see after years of deer in the headlights looks from our top skaters. Yes Gracie has looked scared at times this season but she battled back and didn't let it become a habit.

21. kwanatic

I'm slightly worried about the "sophomore slump" when it comes to Gracie. Lucky for her she's older than most of the girls who debut on the senior level. Most of these girls come in at 14 or 15 years old; Gracie came in at 17 years old which means she bypassed that awkward growing/growth spurt stage, or rather she went through it while still on the junior level. So unlike Mirai, Caroline, or more recently Liza T and Adelina who all struggled in their second year senior, Gracie likely won't suffer through the my-body-is-changing-and-my-technique-doesn't-work-anymore phase all of the others had to deal with.

What she will have to get through is the mental aspects of it: pressure, expectation, etc. though to be fair she had all of that this season too which means she should be somewhat prepared for it next season. However, nothing she experienced this year will prepare her for the pressure of next season and that could be an issue for her. She's not the kind of skater who flourishes under pressure; it shakes her and she makes mistakes but she hasn't buckled under it yet which makes me hopeful she'll be able to get through next season well enough.

22. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Ashley didn't back into a win any more than Gracie backed into 2nd place. Both programs count.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  23. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

And they added up to Ashley in 1st and Gracie in 2nd if you are honest and do the math.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  24. kwanatic

I did the math and that's what I came up with. Who really got screwed at nationals this year was Christina...my math had her 3rd. Not 5th.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  25. Sylvia

Christina Gao tweeted this video of her and Agnes Zawadzki practicing side-by-side twizzles:
    "Hey, @Meryl_Davis @CharlieaWhite @MaiaShibutani @AlexShibutani. @agneszawadzki and I are coming for you! ;)" http://youtu.be/RRnISAhWWW0

26. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Wagner deserved perhaps 114 for that LP, not 120+.

But then again, Gold probably shouldn't have broken 50 with that dismal SP, so it evens out in the end. IMHO, the margin of victory should not have been more than 1/2 a point. It really was that close...

27. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

You deserve a better knowledge of math. As in addition.

28. kwanatic

I thought the same thing about Ashley's score but I'd challenge you to actually score the programs...Gracie's too. It's much harder to make those numbers stick than you think.

I figured Ashley should have received 110-115 for what she did and that Gracie's SP should have been less than 50...but when you actually look at the elements, fairly judge them and crunch the numbers, it's very difficult to come up with those numbers unless you're lowballing the hell out of the scores.

I had the margin of victory much higher than what it was. Gracie was very overscored in the FS...it was a clear victory for Ashley based off the strength of her SP and the quality of what she did do in the FS...not what she didn't do. Gracie bombed her SP and nailed her FS. That method of competing will never place you first...Ashley knows that firsthand.

Christina got the short end of the stick. She actually should have been right on Gracie's heels in overall score IMO. Gracie's technical content was better in the FS but Christina had two programs that were clean (sans the mistake on the spin which really didn't cost her that much) and much better choreographed and delivered. However, the inflation of Gracie's PCS and the lowballing of Christina put Gracie in 2nd and Christina all the way down in 5th.

29. Sylvia

Re-posting from the Programs/Choreographers thread in GSD - the music is "Dark Eyes":
    Kiri Baga tweeted yesterday:
    "Thank you @gbkling for the great new short program!!! I LOVE it. #youreamazing"

30. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

... Is it just me or is this the EXACT same version and music cuts that Sasha used between 2004-2006?