U.S. Ladies [#7] Wagner's Rink Cycle

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vagabond, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

2013 Gardena Spring Trophy Junior Ladies podium photo (L to R: Rin Nitaya JPN silver, Polina Edmunds USA gold, Briley Pizzelanti ITA bronze)

2013 Gardena Spring Trophy Novice Girls podium photo (in the middle is gold medalist Karen Chen USA; JPN's Yuhana Yokoi and Eriko Yamakuma are the silver & bronze medalists)

1 Polina EDMUNDS USA 158.45 1 1 (107.76 FS, landed 6 triples: 3Lz+3T, 3F+3T, 2A, 1F, 3Lo, 3S+2T+2Lo, 2A). SP jumps: 3Lz+1T, 3F, 2A.
    Polina has a Team USA bio now :): http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=101693&mode=I

1 Karen CHEN USA 131.24 1 1 (89.94 FS, landed 5 triples: 2A+3T, 3Lo, 3Lz+2T, 3S, 3Lz, 2A). SP jumps: 3Lo< fall, 2A, 3Lz+2T.
    Karen reportedly is coached by Tammy Gambill now, although her Team USA bio has yet to be updated: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=101483&mode=I

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  2. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Edmunds needs to make her JGP debut first. ;)

4. RD

RD Well-Known Member

:lol: getting ahead of ourselves as usual, go figure

5. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

They sure get a lot of swag. A certificate, a box of something (pin)?, a trophy, flowers and a medal.

6. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Wow how tall is Edmunds now? She appears to have been growing like a weed all season. This is one reason why I think she should push for Sochi, she might be too tall by 2018.

7. mag

mag Well-Known Member

How tall is too tall?

8. pinky166

No idea but there are pictures of her with Kostner and Polina looks slightly taller than her. Maybe she is wearing skates, but if they are both in flat shoes, that would make Polina close to 5'8", because Carolina is 5'7" (or at least almost), so for a 14 year old figure skater, that is really tall!

9. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

Whatever height Polina is, she seems to be adjusting to it just fine. Six triples including 3/3, all with +GOE and no edge calls? Awesome! I'm not sure we need to retire her just yet. :p

Congrats to her for an incredible season! :cheer:

10. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

No < calls? Good for Edmunds!

11. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

She is sooo close to it not being an issue for me anymore, but yeah still way too stiff. I can see the "it" in her now as of this year though, she really has an insane amount of musicality and potential. If she could work on it more (there was an obvious difference in her carriage this year IMO), like a LOTTTT more, I think she could be a very big threat internationally. I love her basic skating and the confidence she's starting to project in her choreography and nuances, she's developing into a beauty. Very similar look and style to Arakawa (remember how stiff she was the first half of her career as well? Her spiral alone went from Tatiana Malinina to Nicole Bobek) IMO, I just wish she would train over-splits with perfect shoulder carriage every single day. She has almost no leg flexibility to speak of, which really in the end kills her beautiful line. At any rate I've been ambivalent towards her since her debut, but as of this year I rather like her and want her to sign up for a Sasha bootcamp (tm)!

12. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

USFS needs to push for Polina for Worlds and Sochi. She's got the big jumps and the musicality already!!

She should not be told to "sit back and wait" for her turn, as they have done so many times in the past with other talented skaters.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  13. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Somehow, I hope you're kidding...I really, really do...:slinkaway:

14. pinky166

I agree but highly doubt this will happen. Polina is already a star and beyond the jumps and hard content she is graceful and balletic. It has been awhile since we've seen a skater in the US who is really strong in both those respects, the last I can think of is Mirai before she went through puberty and got injured.

15. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Here's Edmunds' winning Gardena Junior FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqJKpEQwWOs
    She debuted a new program to Edvard Grieg - I recognized the well-known "Morning Mood" as the 2nd half piece but is the first half also from Grieg's Peer Gynt Suite?

16. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

Polina is a great jumper, but i hope people don't pressure her too much. She still has a long way to go before she has the artistry to match the top ladies. That being said, she'd have a top lady's score if she hadn't singled the flip in the FS and the toe in the SP. Very happy to see no URs from her at Gardena. Hope she has a great JGP season :)

17. alexikeguchi

alexikeguchi Active Member

Yes, Solveig's Song

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

19. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

^^^ Karen's FS is "The Godfather."

ETA this astute post from the Gardena competition thread in Kiss and Cry:
    Chen's double Axel covers so much ice! And what a fast Biellmann spin at the end! I think by sending her to Gardena, USFS is very likely to give her a JGP opportunity this fall.

Thanks for identifying the first piece of Polina's new FS program:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  20. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Wow, Karen Chen's jumps look so much better!

21. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  22. pinky166

Tammi is quite amazing :)

23. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Sports Illustrated article on Agnes Zawadzki by Olympic columnist Brian Cazeneuve (April 10): http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/20130410/agnes-zawadzki/index.html
    (She visited the SI offices in NYC this past Monday after her Figure Skating in Harlem appearance.)
    Excerpt:
    Zawadzki will be guest starring at the Coon Rapids Ice Center in Minnesota on Saturday, April 27 at 6:30 pm and Sunday, April 28 at 2 pm: http://www.coonrapidsicecenter.com/iceshow.htm

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  24. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

And skating two programs each night! :) One is her "I Will Always Love You" exhibition and the other is to "Sway," I believe.

25. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

Great article on Agnes. I'm so glad she is keeping her "Sex in the City" short as I am a big fan of it! I don't know about her doing Tango music for her long program, but I'll wait and see.

26. lilshorty

lilshorty Member

I like Agnes and I have no doubt that she can pull off a tango, but I don't think it is such a great idea, especially if she's trying to stand out in an Olympic year. Everyone will be doing tangos or skating to old war horses like Carmen. But if it's what she thinks is best then I look forward to seeing it!

27. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Team USA Triumphs at 2013 ISU World Team Trophy: http://skatingmagazineblog.com/2013/04/13/team-usa-triumphs-at-2013-isu-world-team-trophy/

28. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Good for Wagner for opening and closing the season well in Japan. She absolutely needed this after falling 5 times in her last 3 competitions. Also, importantly for her, she held off Gold again.

Despite impressive jumps and spins, Gold left a little sour taste in my mouth by rushing her choreo sequence (and many other moves). Didn't help that she was skating before or after Asada, Wagner and Suzuki who all had amazing choreo sequences.

29. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

Great comeback after the short by both US girls at WTT. :cheer2:

Watching Wagner's long program was a revelation of sorts for me. She is much more enjoyable to watch when she cuts the choreographic strings and lets go. For the first time watching her I felt like she really performed during that long program. Here's hoping she continues with this level of performance because she was spectacular! I also hope she continues to try the 3/3 in her programs starting with her first GP. Get the monkey off her back early so she can get more comfortable landing it in competition. Can't wait to see what her programs look like next season. :cheer:

I continue to be impressed by Gold. She's got incredible jumps, speed, power and her spins are top notch. I think she is completely deserving of 7's in PCS for SS and that's a credit to her coaching team and to her. Having said that, I really hope she gets some outside input over the summer beyond her current coaching team. IN, PE and CH still have a lot of room for growth and her current programs don't match her style or performance ability. She's got a solid foundation to work with and I hope she looks for and finds the right person to help her improve in these aspects. What a great senior debut for her. :cheer:

Can we fast forward to October now? :lol:

30. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I agree Gracie needs to go to a top notch choreographer who knows what to do with her and figure out how best to package her. She needs to start learning to project better to the crowd and understand the music that she is skating to. She's not a natural performer like some other skaters but the right choreographer will work with her on that. She seems to know what her weakness's are which is a good start.