U.S. Ladies [#7] Wagner's Rink Cycle

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vagabond, Feb 10, 2013.

1. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

Here Sylvia:

http://espn.go.com/olympics/figures...shley-wagner-gracie-gold-set-olympic-table-us

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Thanks, cbd1235! :) I read FAR too many Worlds articles this past week and they've blurred together now in my mind!

3. Sylvia

4. Sylvia

5. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

I'm glad Ashley is hard at work. US figure skating needs a new diva and from her silver-medal skates at Junior Nats a couple years ago I think she has real possibilities if she can develop more confidence and consistency. Her Ave Maria program is lovely. As for flamenco, let's hope she will turn up the heat and make people take notice. Go, Ashley!

6. Sylvia

Polina Edmunds tweeted this photo of herself wearing her first Team USA jacket and posing with Evan Lysacek last weekend in the Cathedral City rink near Palm Springs: http://instagram.com/p/XBAsM7kjbS/
    She is training with Frank Carroll part-time; her primary coach is David Glynn.

ETA:
    Found another pic of Polina proudly modeling her new Team USA jacket :): http://instagram.com/p/WDuLOkkjeM/

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  7. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Good for her. She has a lot of potential if she stops growing. I'm afraid before long she will be too tall.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  8. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

How tall is too tall?!

mag and (deleted member) like this.
  9. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I thought she was really tall too but next to Evan she looks tiny! I think she is just thin and all legs at this point, she might be 5'3"-5'5" range now, but she's almost 15, and she doesn't look like a baby, so most likely she'll only grow a couple more inches, in which case she shouldn't be that tall at the end of her growing stint.

10. EricRohmer

EricRohmer New Member

Haha, your consistent support for Gao makes me smile. :D
    Gao has to know your existence! :)

11. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I think the US qualified 3 ladies for next year at just the right time.

Undoubtedly, the top 3 at Nationals will go on to the Olympics. However, there is a possibility that one of the 3 may not go to '14 Worlds due to retirement, burn-out, etc., so that leaves the door for #4 US lady to compete at '14 Worlds. Also, with 4CC's so close to the Olympics and the scheduling issues, you have another possibility of all 3 top US ladies staying home and #4 - #6 moving on beyond Nationals to compete at 4CC's. All of that gives us hope that we could see all of Wagner, Gold, Gao, Zawadzki, Czisny, and Nagasu skate at important ISU competitions beyond Nationals.

12. Sylvia

In the Olympic season, none of the Olympic team members will go to Four Continents - this is known ahead of time by all the skaters and coaches.

13. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Actually, depending on the results, this is exactly what I would recommend. The Oly team and the World team don't have to be the same. For example, say Gold and Wagner are 1-2 in either order, then you've got Czisny in 3rd and perhaps Zawadzki/Gao in 4th. You send Czisny to Olys as the 3rd place finisher, but Zawadzki/Gao to Worlds to maximize chances of keeping the 3rd spot for 2015.

14. jlai

jlai Title-less

The one thing I'm excited about next year is that 9 girls can get internatinal assignments post nationals. :D 3 to Olympics/worlds, 3 to 4cc, and 3 to Jr worlds.

15. pinky166

I know Christina personally. She is a wonderful, beautiful person inside and out!

16. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Of course you do. ;)

17. olympic

Really? Cool

As a friend, tell her that in order to get in front of Zawadzki, she needs to do the 3f-3t :)

18. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Lol, I knew there was something when you defended her skating like crazy a couple years back.

19. pinky166

She knows that and is working on it ;)

20. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Can you also please ask her to work on her posture and carriage and to loosen up her upper body? Lots of ballet would be nice. ;)

21. olympic

LOL. Pinky and Christina wouldn't be friends for long if she started coaching her (although, I have a laundry list of what I would tell skaters). ;)

22. Sylvia

Ashley Wagner tweeted this morning:
    "Last day in Toronto working with the incredible @shaelynnbourne! Can't wait for everyone to see this new show number" (for the Canadian Stars on Ice tour, I assume).

23. pinky166

Working on that too, has been for awhile now. Christina loves to dance, did you know? She says if she hadn't done skating she would have liked to be a ballerina, even though dancing is not a natural strength for her, she still likes it!

24. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Um, Christina does not have the carriage and the spine flexibility to be a ballerina but I am thrilled to hear that she is working on this. It would take her skating to the next level, along with the 3f3t. Best of luck!

25. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Says who?!

26. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

Is this something that could have been achieved if she started training to be a ballerina at an early age?
    I know its different, but i didn't start skating until i was 12, and couldn't do the splits or a bend back etc, however, these are things that
    i can still do now, even at my advanced age of 29.

27. pinky166

Guess she made the right choice with skating then, huh? ;) Anyways, I just said she LIKES to dance - that does not require one to be good at dancing or have a flexible spine :p. Anyways, a lot of flexibility just comes down to stretching a lot

28. Sylvia

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  29. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Um ... Say anyone with two working eyes and is living in the real world.

AndyWarhol and (deleted member) like this.
  30. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Says someone who's seen her compete live.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.