U.S. Ladies [#7] Wagner's Rink Cycle

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vagabond, Feb 10, 2013.

1. RD

RD Well-Known Member

That's assuming she'll knock it out though. Odds are she won't...and she may be scoring closer to ~110 instead...where would THAT put her?

2. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

gettin pretty darn cocky there, Jammers.............

3. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Not cocky and i'm not saying that Gracie will ever get to that level i'm just saying with more experience and polish and better programs she has the talent to get to that level. She already has the jumps down and we've seen many skaters never reach the top because they couldn't jump because of bad technique. The other things that she needs can be taught she just needs time. The biggest thing she needs to learn to be a better competitor because that's why she skates through her music sometimes she's to much in a rush.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  4. demetriosj

I don't think bad technique keeps skaters from reaching the top nearly as often as injuries do. Naturally, this is something all top skaters hope to avoid, and I don't think you even take possible injuries into consideration with your lofty predictions. It happens to the best of them. Look at Ashley, for example.

5. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I agree about Gold - She could contribute to 3 spots for US ladies but nothing more. I don't think there will be a group of ladies scoring over 140 pts. in the LP, though.

6. demetriosj

Any Junior Worlds reports, information, etc. out there yet?

7. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Well...to be fair to Gold, each team member can only do her part. Neither can do it on her own and needs the other to place high as well. Hence the TEAM aspect...

Flatt couldn't do it alone in 2009, nor could Czisny in 2011 or Wagner in 2012. Their respective teammates failed big time and that's why we lack a 3rd spot.

I really have no idea what will happen in a month. But the trend is not pretty nor encouraging...I agree with Phil Hersh that we're all but doomed in such a strong field (even with Korpi's departure)

8. olympic

Well, IDK ... I think Wagner is capable of 4th and Gracie 9th:

1. Kim
    2. Kostner or Asada
    3. Kostner or Asada
    4. Wagner
    5. Sotnikova
    6. Suzuki
    7. Tuktamysheva
    8. Gold or Murakami
    9. Gold or Murakami
    10. Osmond

Korpi is out, the next Euro lady, Marchei, is IMO not quite in the same league as the aforementioned top 10. Gedevanishvili is more cold than hot since forever. Kexin Zheng is battling injury. Li Zijun is still quite juniorish, even if she's a revelation this season. Leonova, as the #3 RUS lady is not going to get propped up on PCS and hasn't had what I'd call one outstanding program this season (as in seasons past, when she at least showed signs of life by Russian Nats or Euros).

The competition is in NA, which may mean something if it's close.

HOWEVER, Wagner and Gold are going to have to hit elements (which they are capable of) to get there. The questions are 1. Is Wagner in the right place, mentally or physically? 2. Can Gracie forget about the distractions, just go out there and not get tense.

9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Official practices start tomorrow (Monday). Any practice reports or other news will be posted in the Junior Worlds forum in Kiss and Cry. Courtney Hicks was tweeting from Milan yesterday and Samantha Cesario tweeted she was flying yesterday.

ETA that I've posted a compilation of Season Best Total scores for the ladies in the 2013 Junior Worlds forum: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...Fun-with-Numbers-quot-Scores-amp-Stats-thread

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  10. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

although I had watched on the computer live - the ladies from 4CC - having watched it on big screen high def (closest to actually being there).. anyway I have changed my mind a bit.. I would def put Gao above Gold now.. Christina Gao really feels the music (unlike Gold) and she really skates with her whole body.. I'm less impressed with Gold - I thought when I had first seen her live at the GP it was just her nerves - but realize that she doesn't connect at all to the music - I know she is young and hope in time she does learn to connect.. but I had hoped with a few seniors competitions under her belt she would have been less juniorish (artistically not technically).. still gifted technically.. but really hope she gets some balance.. then she really will have an amazing package..

AxelAnnie and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

I just noticed on her ISU and IN bios that Courtney Hicks appears to have changed her LP music to the Red Violin from Aranjuez. I really didn't like her Aranjuez program so hopefully this is a positive step, although creating and getting used to a new LP in about a month sounds quite daunting!

12. Sylvia

No, it's the same music. "Red Violin" = "Aranjuez" as played by violinist Ikuko Kawai - made famous by the Kween in the 2002-03 season ;): http://heatherw.com/mk/program/aranjuez.htm

ETA: Agnes Zawadzki (Anchorage, Alaska) and Christina Gao (Willmar, Minnesota) skated in exhibition shows this past weekend in cold places. Agnes tweeted this photo of herself perfoming: http://instagram.com/p/WFy_tbA4s6/
    Christina skated to Gangnam Style and a new show program to "River" by Emeli Sande. If I find any more online skating photos, I will post links.

Christina tweeted this photo of herself:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  13. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

if Gold skated very well in both programs she is easily capable of higher than 8th or 9th. She will crush Murakami if both skate well, and she can easily beat Suzuki, and possibly beat Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, and even Wagner herself if she skates well. I dont think both Americans have to skate perfectly to reach the magic 13, but if one has a relatively poor even the other will have to perform lights out, or both will have to skate reasonably well even if not perfect.

14. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Completely agree. Gold's jumps are very exciting. But the rest of it, IMO, is quite juniorish. Hopefully she will fix that........but certainly not before Worlds.

Kim, Asada, Kostner, could or could not be having a good day. Ashley, if it were last year, would be unstoppable.........right now, I don't know. Going to be a cliff hanger.

15. Sylvia

"As of now" Triple-Triple in the short for Wagner, tweeted USFS about her pre-Worlds media teleconference call today.

16. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I honestly think it's as much to hold off Gold, Hicks & Co. back home as it is to fight for a medal.

17. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I think Ashley knows that technically she really can't compete with Gracie she just has to hope Gold doesn't learn how to compete better or learn how to become a all-around skater with more polish.

18. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Yup. She KNOWS she needs it or she'll be buried in the standings. Better to go for it if there is reasonable consistency.

19. RD

RD Well-Known Member

I dunno...I have a strange feeling it's the opposite. She'll WANT Gold to learn how to compete by next month...

20. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

HUH? Gracie has great jumps, when she lands them, but her spins, footwork, etc., are not exceptional. I hope she has the the best skates of her life, but I don't think, given her track record, it is very likely. Ashley had two sub par performances in the last two seasons. My money would be on Ashley.

21. olympic

Buried? She scored 66 + pts. in the SP at the GPF w/ a 3-2. She won't factor into the medals w/ only a 3-2 but I don't think she'll be buried either.

Anyway, I'm encouraged to hear about the 3-3 for Wagner. Hopefully, this means practices are going well for her and Nicks agrees it's ready ...

22. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

Gracie has earned level fours on all of her spins several times this season. Ashley has yet to do that.

23. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

She did that at least once at the short at GPF.

24. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I doubt she is thinking about that at all at this stage in the season.

25. RD

RD Well-Known Member

We can only hope for the best/expect the worst at this point. Personally, until she actually successfully lands it in competition [this year], it's all talk.

The "Swagner" seems to have returned but she must realize (again) she cannot get the 3 spots on her own. Even if she were to WIN the event, Gold still must remain in the top 12. Of course, since 5th is more likely, it's top 8 for Gold...I hope they just focus on what's within their control and forget about the 3 spots.

26. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I disagree. Gold is the Next Big Thing and barely missed beating Ashely at Nationals.

Ashley, as good as she is, will sink like a stone internationally as soon as she stops receiving USFSA's push as their #1 skater.

Gold will probably have a nervous trip at worlds, but if she somehow gets her act together to skate a clean short, she could be ahead of Wagner in the short and that would be the beginning of the end for her.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  27. olympic

IDK - We had the opportunity to see Gracie and Ashley skate quite clean SP's this season at important international competitions, coincidentally both in Russia - Ashley achieved 66 pts. w/ a 3-2 and Gracie achieved 62 pts. w/ a 3-3. So, I'm not so sure about that.

I hear you. I was thinking the other day the same thing - hope for the best / expect the worst. On paper, it's within reach. They just both gotta do it!

28. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

Sorry, I was talking about the free, should have been clear. In any case my point was that Gracie is indeed capable of outscoring Ashley in the spin department.

29. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Again, wouldn't be a gigantic shock if Gold was the higher finisher. That is, in the event that she skates solidly in both the SP and FS...

Wagner is clearly in the competitive mindset and I think she will ultimately want a medal of some color here, especially given that she was 4th last year.

30. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

If Gold places higher and Wagner finishes below her and the US still doesn't get 3 spots, I agree with those that say Wagner's days of being USFS's darling are over.