U.S. Ladies [#6]: "Swaggering with the S'Wagner" et al. into 2013

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Apparently Gao is taking next year off Harvard to go for Sochi 2014, so she's serious about becoming a contender.

If she can sneak into 3rd (she has a chance IF she skates her best and one or both of Suzuki and Murakami mess up), that would definitely make a statement.

However, if the US does not get a 3rd spot (likely IMO), then it will be awfully tough for her to make it to Sochi TBH.

2. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I hope you're wrong about a 3rd spot, but I'm making peace with the fact that it's a possibility. It's ironic that the US has improved markedly from the past 2 season ... only to have the rest of the world get even stronger over those past 2 seasons - Kim and Asada back in 2010 form, Kostner at possibly her peak, the Russian newbies now Seniors and since Euros, coming into their own, Suzuki hanging on in fighting form, etc.

Wagner and Gold cannot afford mistakes at Worlds if they want that 3rd spot.

3. RD

RD Well-Known Member

I hope I'm wrong too, believe me.

4. bek

bek Guest

I don't know I think if Gao does well here, and Gold/Wagner don't deliver at Worlds the US federation may re look at Gao...

5. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

Nagasu and Zhang have both eclipsed the World Team at 4cc in the past and it.didn't seem to change the usfsa's mind about them...

6. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I would say if Wagner doesn't deliver at Worlds, the USFSA may look at Gao if she shows continued improvement and good consistency on the GP circuit. They'd be fools not to!

Gold would pretty much have to go on a multi-state crime spree to fall out of favor. And I say this as a fan of hers :)

7. RD

RD Well-Known Member

...and then if/when Gao doesn't deliver,...

(see the vicious cycle continuing?! :rolleyes: )

8. bek

bek Guest

Well Zhang has had some good performances and some not so good ones, I think with Zhang they feel she's never going to reach a certain level. In terms of Nagasu, I really think that the USFSA feels frustrated/tough love with her. Mirai is kind of like the female Johnny although with less consistency. I think they saw her talent, but also saw her work ethic.

They have latched on to Wagner and I think a lot of it is because of her work ethic etc. In terms of Gold, I think if she becomes inconsistent they might look twice at someone else.

I frankly feel Christina was more than a bit screwed at this year's nationals. She made the GPF, and was far more consistent throughout this season than Gold was, why was the USFSA so convinced Gold is the better option here. (Let alone preferring Hicks and Agnes.) Gao seems to be more appreciated internationally than she is at US Nationals...

I can sort of see with Gold because Gold really does have a ton of talent but Gao really has been more consistent this season.. And I don't think Gold deserved the higher PCS she got.

:lol: Maybe its high time USFSA either makes rules based on performance throughout the season, or actually follows their established system and really bases it on Nationals......

9. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

ok, but I think her own PR machine/team needs to lay off then.............they are a big part of this "being hailed as the next big thing..............

10. bek

bek Guest

I actually do think Gold has oddles of potential my biggest issue her with right now is lack of personality on the ice but hopefully that will change...The lines/posture isn't bad though...

11. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I think it's very worrisome that a skater of Agnes' level is having trouble with the 2Axel ! She should be able to land all of her double jumps in her sleep at this stage of her competitive career.

12. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Gracie's on-ice smile also seem plastered on sometimes when I watch her skate. I think if she can get more sophisticated choreography and music next year then it'll be better for her.

13. Bosha

Bosha Active Member

I think that Agnes has confidence issues right now.

I wish that the USFSA would send her out to some Euro B's where there might be less competition and less pressure so that she could build up her confidence.

I also think that she could use her arms more in gathering in those revolutions. Please see my post at the end of the 4CCs Ladies SP thread if you're interested in my theory.

I love Agnes and I really want to see her skate her best, no matter where she ends up in the standings.

14. jbjanderson

jbjanderson New Member

This. Totally agree.

15. bek

bek Guest

I don't think its just Gracie's on ice smile. I think its a real lack of understanding of the music IMO... it seems like her expression doesn't change/style doesn't change no matter what she skates too and there's no real interaction with the music.

Say what you will a LOT about Adelina Sotnikova's programs. However, one thing I notice is how Adelina's body changes with the type of music she's skating. (That in one says is where I give her coaches credit for having her skate to different types of music.) When Adelina skates to her short, I see the tension/sharpness she holds that works with the music...Gold can hit the beat of her music once in awhile but there's no true understanding and expression of it. Not even when the jumps are done...

And I don't buy she just has less experience, because Osmond has about as much international experience if not less than Gold, and Osmond is MUCH better at expressing the music.

I do think with the right coach Gracie could improve on this though. And in terms of the short, I really don't the issue is so much the choreography.....Because I think she really could be a beautiful skater and yes has the most potential of all the US ladies.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2013
  16. b-man

b-man Active Member

But I don't think Gao or Gold have been consistent. Gao had a decent, not great skate at TEB. She had weak competition at SA, but still had a very good skate to get a silver, and backed into the GPF as an injury replacement. In the GPF, she had a relatively poor skate, finished in last way, way behind Tuk in 5th. Gold had a very poor SP and a poor FS at SC and finished 7th. I don't think any of the US skaters are consistent. All have had at least one bad skate.

17. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

That's what I see too at times-a plastered on smile from Gracie. But I do see she's trying very hard now to project a little better. It will come with time. Skaters mature at different stages. Some unfortunately never improve artistically but I think Gracie for sure can make tons of improvement-even in the year leading into the Sochi Games.

18. bek

bek Guest

How did Gao have a weak skate at Skate America, she placed 2nd. I'd point out she had MUCH harder fields than Gold did....But still had better overall finishes.

19. Sasha'sSpins

Word.

20. b-man

b-man Active Member

I didn't say she had a weak skate, I sad she had weak competition. The field at SA was picked so Wagner would have a clear run to the GPF. Gao was also there and able to take advantage of the weak field. I think a struggling Sotnikova was the only other skater to break 160. But Gao did have a good skate, and might have managed a silver even with the tougher competition the other 5 GP's had.

21. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Gao was totally screwed at U.S Nationals. Of the big contenders (Wagner, Zawadzki, Gold, Gao, maybe Nagasu), she is the only one who didnt bomb 1 of the programs and she finishes down in 5th. I was pretty upset at the time, and felt awful for her. I am wondering if there is anything she can do to ever get noticed in the U.S.

I agree Zawadzkis inconsistency and silly mistakes each program is infuriating. With promising young skaters like Hicks and Cessario coming up (not to mention Gold), this could be the point she starts to get dumped by the USFSA if she doesnt get her act together finally.

22. bek

bek Guest

Because the competition at Cup of Russia wasn't weaker? Cup of Russia gave out huge scores, but Gold still lost to Korpi...And Gold's scores at Skate Canada would have put her 8th instead of 7th at Skate America... TEB was by far the toughest competition for all of the ladies, and Gao's scores were far more consistent.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2013
  23. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

The field at Skate Canada was catered by the CSA to give Osmond a chance of winning, just as the field at Skate America was catered to give Wagner an easy ride to the title and start her rise and momentum (which worked for awhile but boy it is fizzling out fast now, maybe long term it wasnt such a great plan).

24. RD

RD Well-Known Member

This is basically how I feel: it doesn't matter who gets sent. ALL US ladies have struggled with inconsistency this season - even Ashley "The Rock" Wagner. (as a fellow poster called her early in the season)

Anybody we send to Worlds is a question mark, but Gao and Zawadzki ESPECIALLY so. Gold, too, since we don't know who we'll get in the SP (and FS for that matter). And, of course, Miss Wagner herself given her injury, illness, lack of difficulty relative to the other top women, and recent FS struggles (it's historically been the SP she's had troubles with!)...Who will we get? Just no way to know at this point in time.

25. b-man

b-man Active Member

No, the competition at SA was the weakest. It was clear when the picks came out that the US Fed wanted Wagner to have an easy route to the GPF, and selected the field for SA accordingly. Gold faced good competition at SC, and skated poorly. She faced good competition at Russia and got a silver. Nagasu was one placement behind Gao, and I think held the tie breaker had their been a tie, but couldn't get a silver at NHK against Mao and Suzuki.

26. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Ahem, USFSA! Would you kindly wipe that little bit of egg off your face? :saint:

27. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I knew Gao should have been sent to Worlds.

And I know, I know, we will never know if she actually would have skated well there or not. I still feel vindicated.

28. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

It seems that at 4cc, the US lady who's not going to worlds always beats the US ladies who are.

This might have something to do with where each skater is at in their season. It also just shows how close it is between 2nd place and 7th place in the US.

It's REALLY time to come up with a ranking system that takes the whole season into account. Let the National Champion go to worlds if they must, but for the rest of them, let them earn it. That way, nationals can be judged without an agenda. Or more likely, it will be far more difficult to enact an agenda based on just 1 competition.

29. Sasha'sSpins

Agreed.

Redemption for Christina at this year's 4CC's similar to Mirai in 2011 who also placed above her compatriots at 4CCs after not making the World team.

Overall, Christina really had the better year versus Gracie and Agnes-until she got to Nationals. Then she came back at 4CCs and rightfully placed above her teammates in front of an international judging panel. Also, late last year, unlike Gold and Zawodski, Gao made the GPF.

I wonder if Gao's finish over Gold and Zawodski at 4CC's is giving the USFA pause. Their placing Agnes over Christina at Nationals should also give them pause.

Just throwing that out there..:shuffle:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  30. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

I'm waiting on Cesario and Hicks to :kickass: at Jr Worlds so I can feel vindicated that they should have been higher and arguably gone to Worlds. :p

Then I can point the finger at the USFS and shake my head at what I think could have happened at Worlds. Never mind that there are so many variables that come into play at a competition like Worlds. I'm just going to go ahead and lament results that haven't happened yet.

Should be fun! :cheer2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.