U.S. Ladies [#6]: "Swaggering with the S'Wagner" et al. into 2013

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

This is why I wish there were a base multiplier for combos, to encourage people to try harder combos even more. If a combo was multiplied by .2, then a 3t+3t = 9.82 points and a 3lz + 3t = 12.12 instead of 8.1 and 10. A 1.9 difference turns into a 2.3 point difference, encouraging the lutz toe combo even more.

2. Maximillian

Maximillian Well-Known Member

Well... if your boyfriend was appalled then...well...really something must be done about this travesty. I mean think of the children!

Appalled? Really?

Sometimes I think we all need to unclutch our pearls just a wee bit and get some perspective.

Sparks, Loves_Shizuka, LynnW and 11 others like this.
  3. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I know it would be completely impractical, but I think a solution to the scoring of combos would be to add a whole new section to the current scoring system: create scores for each combo possible. Instead of jump 1+jump 2[+jump 3], it would be a set value for the two (or three) jumps together.

4. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I don't know why it would be impractical: it's a look-up table now for manual scoring, and it would be a bigger look-up table after combinations were added.

It might take a programming change to look for a match on a bigger table rather than evaluate individual parts and add them together, but it's also possible that the ISU computer program has a table with all of the combinations and total values and does a match now.

5. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Yes, it's Alicia Keys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J91ti_MpdHA
    I know the video proof doesn't help the song any. :p I like Alicia Keys even if she doesn't have the best singing voice of all the diva chanteuses out there. She looks good and definitely seems at a happy place in her life.

As to Gracie: "That girl was ON FIRE in her Nationals free skate." ;)
    Maybe Gracie should skate to something by Destiny's Child. But, oops that might send some observers into heart attack mode ...

Ashley's been on fire last season and for most of this season, so I hope these two ladies "burn it up" in London, Ont. Forget about the noise from naysayers and do your thing, single Ladies!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m1EFMoRFvY :p :slinkaway

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  6. b-man

b-man Active Member

Gao indeed had a fine skate at SA. However, this was negated by her subpar performance at GPF. Here, she finished not only last, but 19 points behind Tuk in 5th. The so called international win you cite for Agnes was attended by only Gold and Lacoste among top skaters. Agnes had a narrow win over Gold who was really the only elite skater there. It isn't much of an accomplishment to win over basically one opponent. Agnes faced some heavy competition at NHK. This was a head to head competition with Nagasu, who finsihed two placements and about 10 points ahead of Agnes. If you want to talk about performances paleing in comparison, then agnes's performace paled in comparison to Nagasu at NHK. Gold had a very good skate at TEB, beating some real competition. However, this is offset by her other competitions. At the senior B, which you call a silver medal, she finished a close second to Agnes in basically a two skater competition. At SC, she had two poor skates, barely breaking a 150 score and behind Osmond, Suzuki, Murakami, Tuk, Elene G., and Makarova. So both Agnes and Gold finished, rightfully, behind Nagasu in the Grand Prix standings. Gao finsihed one spot ahead, in part, due to her silver at SA, which had the weakest field of the six GP's. With Gao's poor GPF, Nagasu's early season was equal or better than the three skaters you cited.

7. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

I can't wait until Gracie starts skating to something powerful and upbeat to go with those big huge jumps. She just needs more polish, not soft programs IMO. She should go for something big and something with fire. Actually, Gracie skating to "Firebird" might not be a bad idea..

8. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Gold skated her Novice FS to "Firebird" the year she won her first National medal (pewter) in 2010. I think it's good music for her.

9. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

someone suggested piano concerto no. 1 (Tchaikovsky). I love that piece of music, the first part especially. I think the first part (sorry, not knowledgeable about musical terminology) could be cut into a stellar SP. There is a version of this recording where the strings dominate the piano in the beginning. I think that would be best.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  10. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

He's a guy - doesn't wear pearls. Would you approve of another word than "appalled?" Did you even hear what the commentator said? It was ridiculous.

11. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

What about he was gagging when he heard what the commentator said?!

12. Maximillian

Maximillian Well-Known Member

Face meets palm.

SpiralGirl and (deleted member) like this.
  13. aftershocks

Since there's been mention of what was said by announcers and commentators during Gracie's gala exhibition skate. I went back to listen again. Below is pretty much verbatim. If you follow skating, I don't think anything said was too OTT except for the comments I've bolded in red. Otherwise, I think its fairly standard fare. Its the commentators' opinions. Michael B seems to really like Gracie. I will say that I think with some of his comments, Michael B is doing what many have been doing -- putting too much pressure on Gracie. I think it's probably best just to take a deep breath, enjoy watching all the ladies, and not get too ahead in our thinking. But since this is figure skating, I guess that's out of the question. :p

BTW, I also think the announcer, Rusty, while he must be a professional announcer, it doesn't seem like he knows a lot about figure skating. The announcing done by other skaters (e.g., Meryl & Charlie introducing Ross Miner) is more straightforward and genuine. Or as in the past, exhibition announcing done by Kurt Browning, and even Scott Hamilton was at least more knowledgeable, and the skaters don't seem as bored conversing with people who really know them and who know the sport.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I suggested it. :)

15. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

If you knew anything about Michael Buckley it is to never take anything he says seriously. Yes he's a figure skating fan but he goes over the top a lot of time no matter what the subject is about.

16. demetriosj

I know nothing about him. Who is Michael Buckley? What is his claim to fame?

17. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

He's a youtube personality.

18. Jammers

He mostly comments on celebrity stuff and makes fun of them. He can be entertaining and funny at times. I loved when he talked about skaters looking petrified when they took the ice. He called it Kerrigan face. :lol:

19. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Great to see Agnes Zawadzki featured in this "Five athletes share their Olympic journey" article:
    http://espn.go.com/espnw/olympics/8926326/espnw-five-athletes-share-their-olympic-journey
    Excerpt:

20. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

21. demetriosj

Always seems like an almost impossible task, combining attending a brick and mortar university and competitive skating! Kudos to her!!

22. Philly2034

Philly2034 Banned Member

It's weird to see that at this point in the season, Zhang, Flatt, and Nagasu are not competing when they've been the mainstays of US Skating over the past several years.

I could make an argument that each of them were better in 2007-2008 than they were now. (Sigh!).

23. demetriosj

Well naturally! They're 5-6 years older now, what do you expect? A body can only handle so many jumps....

24. aftershocks

Yes, interesting that ISU judges are showing USFS that Christina Gao deserves better consideration in front of Agnes Z, especially on PCS (and even Gracie somewhat). Certainly, Christina should arguably have won the bronze medal at Nationals. Nice result in the sp at 4CCs for Christina and Gracie.

25. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

ITA!

26. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Hopefully, team Gao sees all this and ups the ante for next season. I'd like to see the 3F-3T again. It would be worth her time to go for it in an Olympic season.

Gracie did OK in the SP at 4CC's. She got dinged for a lip (the video wasn't great. Is her lip egregious?) and a hand down on the 3z. I hope she brings it in the LP and establishes some momentum heading into Worlds.

Maybe one of Gao or Gold will nab the bronze at 4CC's ... Murakami has a tendency to fade in the LP

27. jlai

jlai Title-less

actually, Murakami has been skating good lps all season. It was the short that she had problems with

28. magicpixie

magicpixie New Member

It's nice to see the international judges appreciating Gao. I definitely would have had her 3rd at Nationals. Her sp this season is beautiful, it's my favorite ladies sp this season.

I'm so impressed with the huge improvement Gao made this season, I found her very gawky in the past. This season, however, she looks so elegant. Her skating reminds me so much of Arakawa (whom I love) now. I really am crossing my fingers for three spots for the Olympics, and I would love to see Gao in one of those spots.

29. Jammers

I felt the same way about Christina in the past. Nothing in her skating stood out besides her nice jumps but she had no personality or much elegance in her skating. She's grown into her body and has improved just from last year. That's why people need to lay off of Gracie and her sometimes skating through the music and other aspects of her skating. She needs time to become a complete skater and people seem to forgot how she's gone from not even competing at Nationals just two years ago to skating at the Senior level with limited experience while being hailed as the next big thing.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  30. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Gao was :swoon: in the SP. Her flying sit is so good these days! Actually, all of her spins are much improved over last season. Kudos to her!

Nice to see Gracie had a decent short. Not her best, but not a meltdown either. I'd love to see Gao medal here as redemption for Nationals, but hopefully Gracie can establish some momentum heading into Worlds as well.

Agnes is frustrating. :wall: She has everything needed to be the best in the U.S., but her inconsistency is just crazy. I will never understand the judging at Nationals in regards to her, Gao and Hicks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.