U.S. Ladies [#6]: "Swaggering with the S'Wagner" et al. into 2013

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

In 2010?

2. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

^ Yes....... Am I the only person who remembers this?!?!? Most people thought Mirai had won her second title after her LP at 2010 US Nationals, but for some reason, her LP score was really low, which was due to some questionable calls on her jumps in the LP.

3. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I remember it took them a loooooooooooong time to name the ladies team.

4. jlai

jlai Title-less

I was watching Mirai in the arena, and even that far away I could tell some of Mirai's jumps would be dinged, and I didnt even need replay to tell. Ceasrio got a huge audience reception for her lp, but shegot dinged for urs,and as it turned out, she got dinged the same way at jgp the next year. So thecaller was rightly strict that time at 2010. It turned out a good thing for Cesario who made her jumps so big since.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  5. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

No, I totally remember this, too. This is how I remember it:

After the SP, Mirai was first, followed by Sasha, Rachael and Ashley (in that order). The top 3 were very close and Ashley was a bit behind (I think it was 7 points between Rachael and Ashley, but then there was a good distance between Ashley and Christina, who was 5th).

I don't know why this happened, but for some reason, the last warm-up group wasn't quite in order. First was Amanda Dobbs (remember her?) and then Christina, then Ashley. For some reason, Sasha went next, followed by Rachael, followed by Mirai.

Amanda and Christina were non-factors (but I remember pinky spent a lot of the spring/summer saying that Christina would win 2011 Nationals). Ashley put out a super-solid (save for some questionable jumps) and wound up with 184-something. Sasha tanked and wound up ~10 pts. below Ashley. Ash spends the rest of the night looking at the scoreboard with this scared look on her face. Rachael does a decent enough job and somehow pulls out 200-something. Then comes Mirai, who skated to Carmen (scares me that I remember the top 4 scores and music selection!) and had the crowd going wild. I thought she won. The crowd seemed to think she won. Scott Hamilton even said he was pretty sure she was the proud recipient of a 2nd title.

Then, for some reason, she got URs (it wasn't very clear from the NBC camera view, IIRC). She got 188-something, a distant second from Rachael, and the shock set in.

And then, yeah, it took a long time for them to name the team, and Ashley found out that she didn't make the cut because someone sent her a text. I do wonder if the top four and the way things panned out throughout their careers (what with Sasha royally screwing up, Ashley qualifying to the GPF and Mirai's 2008-2009 season) meant that there was actually some debate about who would make the team (but it turned out the way I expected).

6. RD

RD Well-Known Member

I certainly thought so. Nagasu had the crowd and the fire that night, Flatt didn't.

Anyway, for the second spot it seems to be between Gold, Nagasu and Gao (not forgetting Zawadzki, of course). I'd probably put likelihood in that order (Gold most likely, Nagasu 2nd, etc.)

7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

There's a "TV rule" in USFS' rule book that dictates the top 3 after the SP (Senior singles) will draw to skate in the last 3 of the FS and 4-6 after the SP will draw to skate in the first 3. IIRC, all the 2010 Olympic team members and alternates reportedly were notified by USFS via text message.

ETA 2013 competition dates:
    Nationals are Jan. 20-27 in Omaha, NE
    4CC are Feb. 6-11 in Osaka, JPN
    Jr. Worlds are Feb. 25-Mar. 3 in Milan, ITA
    Worlds are Mar. 10-17 in London, CAN

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  8. JeffClair1979

JeffClair1979 Active Member

Trueness

9. jlai

jlai Title-less

The tv-oriented skating order has been in place for some time.

The crowd went wild for Cesario that night too, but the caller dinged her for URs, which she also got dinged for the next season in her jgp. And Scott Hamilton, well, he did say Yagudin conceded the long program in 2002 right? ;)

The calling back then was super-strict across all GPs -- if you looked quarter turn short you were downgraded. The > and >> thing took effect a year or two ago, I think.

Anyway, I'm thankful for tough calling. If not for that, we wouldn't see Cesario and her huge jumps today. I wish some of our top skaters had gotten more calls earlier in their career to help them work on their jumps. :(

mag and (deleted member) like this.
  10. TwizzlerS

TwizzlerS Well-Known Member

11. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

As sad as Lip's withdrawal is from the GPF, it's also a major break through for Gao, who is now in as the 6th finalist.

12. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

It's going to be a hard trip for her, so close to finals.

13. TwizzlerS

TwizzlerS Well-Known Member

Harvard used to have finals after Xmas. I'm not sure if that's still the case.

14. Sylvia

15. Sylvia

16. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

So excited for Christina! (but sad for Julia). If she can skate well at the GPF, that should definitely help her case to make the World team!

17. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

Interesting turn of events! Goodluck Christina! Julia, hope she is okay, I just read the injury report :(

18. feraina

feraina Active Member

Ahh, Harvard now has finals before Christmas, a much saner schedule!
    Christina is lucky, GPF falls on Reading Period, so no missed classes. And then she'll still have a couple days after GPF to rest and study for her finals.
    http://www.registrar.fas.harvard.edu/calendar

19. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I guess there tends to be more b***hing than news in the U.S. ladies thread, but since the above is actually news, it seems to be not the place for Trash, altho' of course there is always overlap.

Good luck to Christina! Hope this gives Julia a chance to rest and heal (her head and her ankle), as well as to reflect on the aspects of her skating where she can improve and further develop.

20. icellist

icellist Member

I had already predicted Lipnitskaya would withdraw to heal her ankle, but this makes me a bit more angry at the NHK judging. I believed Suzuki should have won and Mirai a distant second, but maoturation, both fell a spot. Mirai would have tied Tukt and Gao in points but would win over Gao for combined score.

Well at least another American goes to GPF. Good luck Christina!

Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  21. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

If Christina skates well in Sochi, she could put herself in line for that 2nd spot.

Remember, Miraifans, last season, Ashley was 3rd and 4th in her GPs. :)

22. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

^^ITA. This gives her a huge advantage over both Gracie and Mirai. This is a chance to compete against the top skaters of the season...I don't know how good her chances of medaling are but two good performances could give her an edge over Gracie and Mirai.

23. RD

RD Well-Known Member

I agree that it could help her international rep, but perhaps all this talk about "advantage" at Nationals is overrated/overstated. In the fall of 2009, Wagner qualified for the GPF and Nagasu had a meh GP season. But at Nationals, as we all know it was Nagasu who stepped up (Wagner wasn't bad, but that one fall in the SP cost her BIG)...and in the end, that was enough to get the ticket.

Bottom line is this: Gao will still have to deliver at nationals and I don't think there is much room for error on her part. She does not want to dig herself a hole in the SP...

24. Skater91

Skater91 New Member

Christina Gao has to come 5th again at US Nationals! Its Tradition! :lol:

Lets make 4 years in a row coming 5th!

Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  25. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Christina's top score in the SP was around 57 pts. at SA w/ a 3-3 and clean. Mirai got 61 pts. w/ a wonky landing at NHK. Gracie got 62 pts. clean at CoR ,and Agnes got 60 pts. missing some levels on her spins at the same competition. I wouldn't be surprised if Christina found herself a little behind after the SP at Nationals. But, she does have the possibility to do well at the GPF and thus raise her credibility in the eyes of the USFSA by Nationals, which might result in bigger PCS scores there.

26. edonice

edonice New Member

I know the COP system is supposed to be more fair, but I still think it's relative to the competition. There's no way Vanessa Lam can hold up to these more experienced skaters, even though her regional (sectional?) score was so high.

27. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

I'm so excited for Christina, her hard work is paying off :cheer: I hope she skates well and builds up some visibility with the international judges.

Whomp'em Gangnum Style, Xtina! :cheer2:

28. pinky166

If Christina upgraded her combo to a 3f-3t, which we know she's capable of and has done in the past, that would probably bump her up to around 60 points. And if she did 3f-3t in her FS, she'd be looking at around 120 for a clean skate, and maybe higher as including a 3-3 and doing a 7 triple program could help boost her PCS just because if she pulled it off, it would be really impressive and ambitious. So that means her scoring potential is around 180-185. Also I think her SP score at SA would have been higher had she not skated 2nd and been coming off a meh 2011-2012 season. I'm sure if she skates like that at the GPF, her score will be higher by at least a couple points, might even top 60. She's scored 58+ for her SP at a JGP event two seasons ago before she improved so much, so I definitely think 60 is possible for her, even without doing the 3f-3t.

I'm surprised by how many people think Mirai is a frontrunner for the 2nd spot, at this point I'd say she's behind Gracie and Christina to be honest, yes her performances on the GP this season LOOKED good, but she's still having issues with the URs, and neither her 3t-3t or 2a-3t are rock solid combos for her, at least not yet. I'm thinking Mirai will probably place 3rd or 4th at Nationals and go to 4CC most likely. I still really like her skating, but for whatever reason, it doesn't seem as impressive to me as it was around the time of the last Olympics. Maybe if she was going for harder content, or rotating all her jumps consistently, my opinion would change, so if come Nationals she does just that, and I may be dazzled by her merits once again. But who knows.

In any event, I think it might be hard for Agnes to make the podium at Nationals this time.

29. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Mirai with URs is still scoring higher than a totally clean Christina. So yeah, I'd say she has a pretty decent shot at one of the two World team spots.

30. pinky166

She isn't though. Her score at CoC was lower than Christina's at SA and about the same as Christina at TEB, where keep in mind, Christina DID have a pretty major error in her SP. Then her score at NHK was like 2 points higher than Christina at SA, and I really do think start order and reputation hurt Christina in the SP and if she repeats those skates at the GPF her score will likely be around 5 points higher. Christina's FS score at SA is still higher than either of Mirai's FS scores thus far, too. And Gracie made loads of mistakes in her COR FS and scored similarly to those two for clean-to-the-eye skates. So really, if Gracie can just avoid having a mini-meltdown in her FS, she's likely to be a strong 2nd at Nationals. Plus Christina might get more PCS inflation at Nats this year after making the GPF, and especially if she skates well there. Mirai's stock is down a bit among USFS I tend to think, where she was 7th at Nationals last year, not a very inspiring 3rd the year before, and has never made the GPF in all of her 5 seasons she's competed on it. Gracie and Christina are younger and have improved a lot recently, and they both seem hungry for success and a spot on the Olympic team, Mirai, she's already been to the Olympics and while it's nice to see her skating pretty well now, she's been regressing since the Olympics overall, her performances inconsistent, and even this season now she's bouncing back, her scores and skating still seem to have taken a step back since 2010. There's still time for her, and she's very talented, so if she can go and pull and Ashley then my hat's off to her. I just don't see that happening THIS SEASON.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.