U.S. Ladies [#6]: "Swaggering with the S'Wagner" et al. into 2013

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

DAMN. CRAZY.

2. mkats

mkats New Member

:eek:

3. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

Sad for Mirai :(

Happy for Gracie :)

Happy for Wagner (not even kidding, she needs to learn how to deal with mistakes sooner rather than later, these events will help her in the short and long term)

Happy for Gao :)....think she should have placed a little higher but it is what it is. Lot of 5th places for her :/

4. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

I think the judges got the top two right. Ashley & Gracie are deserving of World trips.

For the second year in a row, Agnes wuzgifted in a big way.

Christina was hosed. And Mirai has been dumped. :wuzrobbed:

5. emma1227

emma1227 New Member

Thrilled for Yasmin....kind of crazy the the JPG standouts were beaten by Siraj. Could she be sent to Jr Worlds? She would need minimums?

6. emma1227

emma1227 New Member

If Ashley doesn't go to Four Continents, I wonder if they will send Courtney or Christina? Will Mirai qualify for GP Assignments next season?

7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Siraj attained the minimums for Junior Worlds at her one JGP in Latvia in the fall of 2011.

I don't think Wagner needs to go to 4CC. I hope both Hicks and Gao receive another assignment.

Nagasu is currently #10 on the ISU Seasons Best score list for her NHK Trophy score of 176.68, so I think she can be hopeful about 1 GP assignment next season (unless the GP selection rules are changed re. the skaters with the top 24 SB score being guaranteed 1 GP).

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  8. jlai

jlai Title-less

Siraj has the smallest jumps of the top ladies. That said, she has some of the best edging in the business, and I admire edges. So for that, I hope she kicks butt at jr worlds (which I assume she'll get).

9. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

Beyond the wuzrobbed and negativity, I have to say I'm really excited for the US ladies. There is a depth of talent that I had no idea existed. :eek:

Ashley is fab and really turning into an amazing artist, Gracie is an incredible athlete and has plenty of room/time to grow. Zawadzki IMO has grown tremendously as a skater since leaving Tom Z and two bronze medals at Nationals is nothing to sneeze at.

It is so easy to forget that Hicks was out for weeks (months?)with a broken tibia but her comeback is even more impressive for it. :respec: Meanwhile, Gao has somehow managed to find the magic recipe for juggling an Ivy league education and skating and is skating better than ever.

All in all, I thought Nationals had a lot of positive aspects for the US ladies. As someone who has been very critical about the status of our ladies, I'm happy to say they proved me wrong tonight. :cheer2:

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Gold was most definitely not robbed. While she definitely deserved to win the LP I actually think her score was a bit high, and her SP was much too high. Wagner didnt skate her best but based on her greater presentation and light years better SP she was the rightful winner for sure.

One strange thing to realize is that Flatt is that it is now increasingly almost certain to end up with a more successful career than all of Nagasu, Gao, Zawadzki, Zhang, despite that she is the least talented skater of that whole group. I guess Zawadzki and to a lesser extent Gao still have a chance to change that if they continue until 2018, but they have alot of work to do.

11. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Other than that random time she beat Yu-Na in the LP, I don't think Flatt's career is so much better than Nagasu. They each have one national title and Flatt has her 5th at Worlds vs. Nagasu's 4th at Olympics. Maybe you're counting 4CC though, which I really don't follow closely.

12. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Just finished.

1. That was the weirdest, least ceremonious end EVER.
    2. Gold wasn't robbed. She skated well, but I still think 132 was a bit high. It wasn't the best skate I've ever seen.
    3. Ashley needs to fix that lutz towards the end, but she still deserved her title for an artistically excellent skate--and a brilliant SP two nights ago.
    4. CHRISTINA IN FIFTH AGAIN URRRGH :/
    5. The girls in the first of the two televised groups (I'm specifically calling out Cain, Wang and, to an extent, Miller) need to work on their music selections. That sets them apart from the top ladies, for sure.
    6. Saving the worst for last: the judges screwed Mirai. Sorry, but she skated better than her scores say, and those tears had me in tears. And my mom, sister and I were screaming at the TV. (((hugs)))

Overall, weird but, generally, good Nationals. Looking forward to int'l assignments.

13. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Sadly my nightmare came true again. Gao in 5th. Nagasu 7th. I feel no joy for these Championships but I will recover in time to root for Ashley and Gracie at Worlds.

Couldn't have said it better.

14. judgejudy27

Flatt's career is IMO better since:

-She has more top 2 medals at Nationals and medals at Nationals
    -She has the World Junior title
    -She has more trips to Worlds
    -I believe she has more grand prix medals but I could be wrong on this

15. falling_dance

falling_dance Happy for Kozuka, Sad for D. Murakami

Just throwing these out here for consideration:

- Flatt has four senior GP silvers (2008 CoR, 2009 SA, 2010 NHK, and 2010 SA) to Nagasu's two silvers (2010 TEB, 2011 CoC) and a bronze (2012 NHK).
    - Nagasu has a senior-level ISU championship medal (bronze at 2011 4CC), which Flatt doesn't have.
    - Nagasu won the short program at 2010 Worlds; Flatt has never finished higher than fifth in a phase of World/Olympic competition.

16. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I think ISU judges preferred Nagasu and USFSA preferred Flatt.

17. judgejudy27

Pretty much. The USFSA and their blind love for Flatt who was NEVER going to be an international star, while shunning more talented skaters like Nagasu, Gao, Wagner (until last year) even when they skated fairly well was quite the joke, but the USFSA got what they asked for which was 4 years of total mediocrity on the international stage while putting all their eggs in the baskets of an average skater (Flatt) and headcase who cant jump (Czisny), while shunning all others. There is still politics but atleast they seem to be favoring the right people now like Wagner, Zawadzki, and Gold.

18. OnyxRose81

OnyxRose81 Active Member

Until she learns how to skate a clean LP, she should never be a favorite.

19. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

Surely I am no expert, but that Courtney Hicks is a pistol and I thought Christina Gao was very good and the best dressed of the competition.

Courtney is like a bull in a china shop, which I really like. Tone her down a bit, refine her, and she'll be awesome. Speaking of toner, all these bad bottle blondes need it. Get them to a proper hairdresser who knows how to weave in high and low lights, not just plop some bleach on their heads. From the looks of Gracie and her twin, the twin does Gracie's hair, and refuses to let Gracie return the favor.

Didn't Ashley have two falls, a couple of two foots, and doubled an intended triple? That seems like an awful lot of mistakes for a winner when skaters like Gao looked clean and Hicks looked so dynamic with one fall. Are her PCS really that good?

20. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

21. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

I wonder who's going to be sent to Junior Worlds... I can't imagine that they would pick Polina, especially after the junior ladies who skated lights out and got much better scores than her in seniors. And I have no idea what they're going to do since Hannah (especially since the ISU judges seem to love her for some odd reason) and Angela are both JGPF medalists, but they're both behind Cesario, Hicks, and Siraj. The JWs selection process is going to be tough!

22. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I have a feeling there's a lot of analysis right now on Hicks (who is probably going to JW), Siraj, Cesario, Wang and Miller. I'm kind of surprised Miller was as far down as she was--I thought she skated really well.

Preference might be given to Cesario for spot #2 since this is her last year of eligibility.

23. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Who cares about Ashley's appearance at world's five years ago. Last year, she got 4th and did her part. It was Alissa who bombed. The other subsequent world's teams also have culpability in not getting back the 3rd spot.

24. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

My guess is Hicks goes to 4CCs and Cesario, Wang, and Miller go to JW. Great outing for Siraj but I think the strength of the others' JGP seasons will come into play. But if they want to send Hicks to JW, maybe Siraj and Cesario would go, to avoid having to pick between Miller and Wang. But I think Wang really deserves to go and Miller too actually. Hmm. I wish Christina and Courtney could both go to 4CC.

25. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

Does anyone else think that Ashley needs 4CC? I think she needs one more big competition in building for Worlds but of course I hope it will be what John Nicks thinks is best for her. Last year that's where she started to shine.

26. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Actually, LOL, I was going to post my thoughts on Ashley @ 4CC's but was out running around this afternoon.

I think she should skip 4CC's - She's been having to deal w/ a lot of odd circumstances lately (food poisoning, etc.) and traveling to Japan to face Mao without a lot of time to prepare would probably not allow her enough time to get her head straight. I say just hunker down and prep for Worlds. This might give Christina a chance to go to 4CC's!

27. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

A very interesting video regarding the final results of the ladies' event.

28. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Some thoughts on this bizarre Nationals:

Courtney Hicks really stood out to me with big, high, light, jumps and decent artistry. (At least on the same level as Gold's...) Don't see why only Gold's jumps are so touted, Courtney's are just as good, if not better. Hicks put out two solid, exciting programs that in my estimation were ignored in favor of Gold. Of course Hicks does not have the Gold team PR machine that churns out propaganda relentlessly.... Gao also put out two very consistent solid skates that the judges tossed aside in their haste to move up Gold.

Why even have a Short program with COP? Short program results didn't matter in the end. The judges greatly padded Gold's short and long program scores. Anyone who thinks she wuz robbed needs to get their head examined. She skated a lousy short and a decent long. Does that a national champion make? She had absolutely no pressure in the Long and that's when she skates better. Also, Gracie didn't look very gracious, pouting when she realized she hadn't won the whole shebang. She should have been so grateful for the gift she had just been given by the judges......

Gracie would have maybe moved up to 6th or 7th under 6.0 with those programs.

Why even hold Nationals? Judges just pick their faves, as they did anyway, and save these skater's a lot of time and their parent's money.......

Sickening how Scott H. was gushing over Gold all week, and a fluff piece before you've achieved anything in Seniors? Nauseating. Maybe the judges felt the need to justify the fluff piece? So wrong.

USA Today describes her as a "fearless newcomer"?! She looked like a deer in headlights in the short, and not much better in the long! Talk about spin!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  29. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Wow...they've got a serious dislike for Ashley going on, that's for sure. I completely disagree with their assessment that Ashley doesn't really have any artistry and her programs were lackluster. Sure, Ashley didn't perform them 100% last night but I've been very impressed with how much she's grown as an artist the last two years and during her GP comps I thought both her SP and LP were gorgeous. Jenny's catty comments about Ashley's dress weren't necessary either as the judges weren't doing a fashion show in the middle of an athletic competition. Plenty of skaters have come out with 'WTF?!' costumes and still managed to give amazing performances.

No, Ashley isn't the best skater out there right now, but I'd say she's definitely within striking distance of the World podium if she gives it everything she has. But she certainly can't fall on her butt twice. And she definitely needs to up the ante technically because you know YuNa Kim isn't going to be doing 3/2 combos. Neither will about five other skaters I can think of off the top of my head.

30. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Ashley will be very competitive with a 3/3 and a clean, inspired performance, no doubt about that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.