U.S. Ladies [#6]: "Swaggering with the S'Wagner" et al. into 2013

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Between Zawadzki's FS mistake tendencies and Mirai's UR tendencies, I don't think 2nd for Christina is really out of the question. It's going to be hard and she'll need a good skate, but she IS a strong freeskater whereas the other 2 tend to be better SP skaters in addition to being more prone to mistakes/giving up points. 6 points is like 2 URs or a fall and another minor jump mistake...really not much in the grand scheme of things. Idk I'm hoping for Gao to make it to Worlds, I'd certainly be less nervous about her performing there than Agnes or Mirai. But truthfully, if Christina can pull up to 4th but the top 3 stay the same, I'd be very happy with that too. Or if Mirai is second. I very much like all of Ashley, Agnes, Mirai, and Christina, and Gracie too, but I think she just might need a little more time to get used to handling the senior level elite skating scene...she really is so new to all of this when you consider the experience someone like Mirai or Ashley have in comparison, even Christina with her 3 JW trips, 3 senior nationals, 2 GP seasons w/ a GPF trip, and 2 JGP seasons w/ 2 JGPF trips, has a lot more experience dealing with this kind of stuff compared to Gracie.

2. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

pinky, I love Christina, too, but I'm thinking Christina may have to settle for just making the podium. I really hope 1-5 winds up Wagner, Nagasu, Gao, Zawadzki, Hicks.

3. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

We will see, but I think she is too talented and too strong a competitor to not have a good LP at some point. It might be here, or it might not be, but it wouldnt surprise me if it was, and if it is she will likely make the team (and possibly even win depending what Wagner does).

4. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I didnt say a clean FS. I said a good FS. I dont think she even needs a clean FS to stay in 2nd. If she does about 5 of her 7 jumping passes cleanly I would be surprised if she doesnt stay 2nd. Based on the SP scoring I think Nagasu would have to skate lights out to take 2nd even then, and I dont see her skating a totally clean LP with no URs either.

5. Alwaysaway

Alwaysaway New Member

I echo a lot of your thoughts. Not a big fan of the thought of Angnes "Flip a coin" Zawadski being the great American hope for 3 spots and at her first Worlds at that.

6. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Who else is going to help Ashley getting those 3 spots back? Mirai is unreliable and is just not the skater she was a few years ago. While Agnes is shaky too if she skates clean with her big jumps she will get a good score even at Worlds.

7. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

too strong a competitor? I think that is key. I agree Agnes is SUPER talented; however, she is a horrible competitor and has NEVER skated to her potential. Heck even in the SP she fell and due to skate order she is still second. If Agnes skates amazingly and wins I will certainly be happy for her but I also would be completely shocked.

8. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

Yea Mirai is unreliable. She just has just been skating better in every event this season and just had her best short program in years, which if done in an international competition would probably be 5 points ahead of Agnes at this point. What a loser.

9. pinky166

I think people are underestimating Agnes here, Christina too, but especially Agnes. She IS improving under Christy Krall, she's not a beacon of consistency yet for sure, but she's getting better and better each time out. I don't think she's really a headcase, I think the size of her jumps combined with her height maybe make it harder for her to consistently have control over all her jumps, but when she hits them, they are the best in the field, or well, maybe tied with Gracie but she has better presence and more maturity than Gracie at this point anyways. I think she might just surprise people and do really well in the FS. Not that it means she'll necessarily come in 1st or 2nd and make it to Worlds, but idk, I really think she is improving a lot and is due for a great FS.

10. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

I'm so over this mythical third spot that the US ladies HAVE to get back. Let the top skaters be scored for what they do on the ice on Saturday and not what they could potentially do in two months. At this point everyone is so inconsistent it doesn't matter who they send. Everyone has the potential to be great or bomb in the intent so they might as well be honest in their scoring and send the top two performers.

JMO

11. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

See, I don't give up on that mythical third spot. Who was third in 10? I hope it wasn't Ashley, but I'm thinking it is now. Imagine if she could have just gone there, done her 3Z-3R in the short, and just done her thing? Even if she fell, you know her presentation and line and spins, and jumps, and overall skating could NEVER compare to the national champion that year. Our national champion that year beat Yuna Kim in the FS at SA, so she HAD to go to Olys. She had the package, right Freezing? The perfect spins, jumps, body, presentation? I'm sorry, I think I was born in 1933 and am in charge of international committee at USFS. Whups.

12. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

It was Ashley.

13. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but unfortunately, Agnes can barely handle her nerves at GPs. How would she be able to handle the pressure of Worlds? That isn't happening. If she is sent to Worlds, it'll be a disaster.

14. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Unfortunately it seems that (at least in the short term) you can lump Gracie Gold in that category, too. We may be eternally doomed to 2 spots for the foreseeable future...

Best hope for us (and it is still a heck of a gamble) is probably Wagner + Nagasu

15. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Nagasu has now become the go to skater when the pressure is on? :confused:

16. smarts1

^ Well to the very least, Mirai has had some excellent FS at various competitions. When was the last time Zawadzki had a good FS? 2011 JWs?

17. pinky166

2012 COR come on guys. She hasn't bombed a FS in a while. People need to give Agnes a break. She's getting better and better each time out and I think that's worth noting.

18. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

True. She does not have nerves of steel.

19. HSGP21

HSGP21 New Member

Tell us how you really feel... glad you're not Agnes' coach

sorry- that was supposed to have a quote attached to it... I feel sorry for these girls, Ashley had weak nerves for years, and now with some maturity and training is doing well. I'd like to think Agnes or Mirai would be capable of the same... maybe London worlds are too soon, but maybe not! Can't doom them before they fail!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  20. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I'm not too worried about Gracie. She improved from SC to Rostelcom Cup, and I expect she'll improve 2013 Nationals to 2014 Nationals.

Her trajectory is really quite normal for an emerging senior lady. But the expectations are just. so. damn. high. Almost everyone wants her to step into the role of Kwan 2.0. That's never going to happen for many reasons. I will be thrilled if she reaches her full potential. I think the biggest barrier to that is not her nerves, which seem normal, but the lack of touring opportunities. Without those, how & where will she experience the massive growth that needs to happen on the 2nd mark side?

21. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Well...I challenge you to name someone (besides Wagner) who you think is TRULY more reliable than she is...

ETA: with all due respect to the current field, IMHO it's sort of like a "best of the worst" situation. They ALL struggle with nerves and inconsistency...that is the norm these days in the US, not the exception!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  22. RD

RD Well-Known Member

I feel the same way. In the long term, she'll be fine. But right here, right now- the pressure and the hype is just too much.

It really is a vicious cycle, though. The other new girls are probably loving the fact that they don't have such a bright spotlight shining on them...

23. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Do you just throw sentences at a wall to see what sticks or do you actually think any of this makes sense.

24. jlai

jlai Title-less

IMHO, skaters like Gold and Agnes Z didn't get enough international junior experience before getting under the lime light. Part of it was they didn't get JGP or got only one because they didn't place well at nationals the previous year. And then all of a sudden, they won jr ladies and did well at jr worlds and then they went senior and are expected to be the next big stars. Had they done a full JGP season they might have learned more about competing under pressure before doing comps at the big stages

mag and (deleted member) like this.
  25. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

Are Mirai's nerves that bad? Seems to me like she handles herself pretty well in competition most of the time. She's had some issues the past couple years but I don't attribute those to nerves specifically. More body changes and possible training issues.

I'm all for pick the best skater tonight :) But I do think that Mirai would do a better job than Agnes at worlds this year, but of course who's to know! I also like Gao and think she's pretty reliable this season but she sort of has a PCS cap that is lower than what Mirai could achieve. Therefore she's more of a smart and safe choice. Personally I think a gutsy choice for the 2nd lady might be needed in order to grab a 3rd spot. Just my thoughts.

26. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Had Mirai and Agnes skated in each others' spots (with the same skates), IMO, Mirai would be 2nd or 1st.

27. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

Is the LP not being televised today? I cannot find any info on it

And for the record, I really hope the world team is Ashley and Mirai. Mirai is a national champion, has been to worlds once, and is also an Olympian. I really think she is the best bet to send with Ashley.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  28. RD

RD Well-Known Member

in the US, it's on NBC tonight in prime time.

29. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

Haha, I actually understood what I meant, though maybe you couldn't.

Also, serving popcorn at a Dollar Cinema makes you no closer to being a Theatre girl than the old prostitute hanging out in the alley outside the theater.

30. smarts1

:( for Mirai. Everything looked to be going so well for her this season. Guess the world team is Ashley/Gracie...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.