U.S. Ladies [#6]: "Swaggering with the S'Wagner" et al. into 2013

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

2. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Are any other ladies of note missing from the Nationals roster this year besides Rachael Flatt and Nina Jiang?

3. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Edmunds and Long have a lot more potential than Miller, Hicks, and Keiser IMO. Miller, like Lam, is an uber-tiny skater with uber-tiny jumps. Vanessa Lam has managed to stay tiny and seems to have found consistency with her jumps recently, but I don't see a 3-3 happening for Miller unless she has overhaul on her jump technique and puberty could still mess up her jumps. Keiser's 3-3s are pretty much always UR and her jumps seem to be here one day, gone the next, for a couple seasons now, she'll hit at one competition and get a big 110+ FS score, then go on to fall twice and have other issues in her FS at the next competition and only manage to score in the 80s or 90s. Hicks has huge jumps and a 3-3 of better quality than Keiser, but she's also sloppy and fairly inconsistent since coming back from her injury.

Barbie and Polina both have 3lz-3t (and 2a-3t and 3f-3t, respectively) and have managed to upgrade their technical arsenals despite growing a lot recently, which is impressive. They usually garner very good scores, well over 50 and 100 a few times each this season, and URs are sometimes an issue for both girls, but seem to have gotten better as the season's progressed. I'd really like to see one, or both, of these girls go to JW along with Angela Wang.

Cesario will also likely be considered to JW but I agree with some other posters that if she skates well at Nats and garners a good placement I'd prefer for her to be sent to 4CC. Also, after winning sectionals, it would appear Cain is also in the mix for JW.

Also, if Gracie doesn't make Worlds or 4CC, does anyone think USFS would send her back to JW to help assure JGP slots for the upcoming season? They sent Zawadzki back to JW in 2011 after placing 4th at Nats and skating on the senior GP that fall, and Gao back to JW twice after placing 5th at Nats (last season she competed on the senior GP in the fall, too), so it doesn't seem out of the realms of possibilities, though I'd be surprised if Gold doesn't at least make 4CCs.

4. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

I think Mirai has a legitimate shot at the title but, as others have pointed out before, she needs to fix the UR calls.

I was surprised to see her include two 3F in her free at NHK, as she was omitting it from her programs last season. It's a little worrisome that she got dinged on both her 3Lo in the free, as that's also her solo SP jump. The under-rotations on the 2T really shouldn't happen.

Her program is nice but does nothing for me -- I feel Miki Ando used the music more effectively in 2009. I think the footwork needs more power and deeper knees and the choreographic sequence can be even more spectacular leading into that amazing layback.

I really like Agnes and her jumps (the best of the field), I just wish she was more consistent with them. I like her athletic, unaffected style. She's my dark horse.

5. jlai

jlai Title-less

On a slightly different topic, now that Wagner is a "NIke athlete" (per Icenetwork), does that mean she's getting enough in prize money and endorsement to not have to do part time job like some said she was doing?

6. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

:eek: I am not disagreeing, but this is such a wake up call for Nagasu.

7. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

But wouldn't someone at her level, especially with a coach of Nicks' esteem, be able to find wealthy benefactors? It goes on all the time, and it doesn't even have to go through the USFS fund. I recall Kerrigan didn't have to worry about skating expenses because the Scotvolds set her up quite well with a donor, and the same with Kwan. Maybe she's just working a part-time job to give her something else to do, if she's not in school. Skating is insanely expensive, I'm amazed how many families manage it.

8. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

Well last time we heard from Ashley about her job was when she was not getting the results she needed in order to even make a dent in her expenses. She's really only been successful as a skater for less than a year so I wouldn't be surprised if something changed and she didn't need the part-time job anymore but that would be a recent change. I also think that if she got a benefactor that it would have to have been within the last few months. You need to have results before you can attract something like that. Kinda like how her results attracted Nike to her.

I hope for Ashley's sake that enough endorsements and prize money are coming in to cover her expenses, she's worked so hard for this.

9. feraina

feraina Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere recently that Ashley was selling jeans in the mall in the evenings to help pay for expenses?

10. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

The IceNetwork article quoted Wagner's IMG agent as saying that she may make some appearances in Nike stores but gave no further details at this time about what being named an "Nike athlete" entails.
    It wasn't clear in the Sports Illustrated article if she was still working this part-time job. BTW, both article links (SI & IN) are posted in the Wagner thread in GSD (posts #23 & 28): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...cy-(article)&p=3755478&viewfull=1#post3755478

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  11. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I'm 90% sure that Ashley worked at American Eagle...when she was with Hill. I don't remember hearing anything about a job once she got out here, but I did read something about attending school (IIRC, she's a part-time student at a local school that caters to nontraditional students).

12. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I found my answer in a Hersh article before 2012 Worlds:

13. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

My hopes:

World Team - Wagner/Nagasu

4CC - Gao/ Zawadski/ Cesario

JW - Gold/ Lam/ Wang

14. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

I'd love to see Mirai kick butt and take the second spot for Worlds. Ashley is my favorite of the US senior ladies, so obviously I want her to defend her title.

The one thing that must not happen this year is Mirai (or any other skater) getting credit at US Nationals for things they wouldn't get credit for internationally (which has happened before across the board). USFSA cannot afford to have lenient calls made at these championships. It would be shooting themselves in the foot. If Mirai takes the second spot, I want it to be because her URs are actually fixed.

mag and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

Major word to this. And that includes PCS too. However, to secure 3 spots for the Olys we need Nagasu IMO. Unless Gracie Gold lives up to her hype (which is well deserved, she's charming and has the jumps) I want Nagasu on the World team this year. Let's just be smart. Mishin in an interview on another thread said something like 'rather one spot for great than two or three spots for bad'. Well, I want the three spots, because after all the parents have put in their kid's skating, they deserve the chance at a third spot, even if it means nowhere close to the podium. That's where I think USFS has shot themselves in the foot. Their actions wrt world teams has hurt the other skaters. I wouldn't be surprised if some families just had a sit-down pow-wow with their skating princess and said "Enough, there's only one spot, or two spots for Worlds/Olympics. We're done paying these bills". The USFS with their worlds decisions (and others) have probably decreased the participation from those who are +/- in the game so to speak.

Seriously, if parents of competitive skaters are on here, aren't you just a tad annoyed at how STUPID the USFS has been in securing the maximum number of entrants? Your Honey Boo Boo might not ever make a podium at an Olympics, but at least she GOT THERE. I'm surprised more parents haven't spoken up, but they are probably afraid for fear of judging retaliation.

16. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I actually agree w/ you re Gold v. Nagasu for the 2nd spot: I'm in Nagasu's corner, unless Gold lives up to expectations and thus, can't be denied that spot.

17. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

After seeing Christina Gao skate live in person at SA last month, my bet's on her making the team, period.

She skates with speed, power, attack, and all her jumps were perfect, and huge. :cool:

As for Ashley, she's the golden girl, and rightfully so. I don't expect that to change at Nationals, she just has to keep it up. :)

18. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

The results are likely to be very close, especially between second, third, and fourth places. I feel that at this point, Gracie Gold is probably favored for the second spot (with her jumping ability as the key factor since solid 3/3 jumps are often more highly rewarded than having a complete package, i.e., jumps and budding artistry, such as Gao possesses). I love what I have seen from Christina Gao this season, and I'd love to see her grab the silver and a spot to Worlds, but if Gold skates to her current ability and lands everything, as I said, she might be favored by USFS in order to keep her in front of international judges, priming her for the future (whether or not that's the right or wrong strategy).

As far as Mirai, I enjoy seeing her battling back with more fire and sparkle than she exhibited last season, but it may not be enough for her to make the 2013 World team. If Mirai skates well at Nats, surely she will secure a trip to 4CC. I think as things currently stand, Gracie and Christina may have an edge over Mirai (even if they all skate their best).

Nationals results could possibly end up: Ashley, Gracie, Christina, Mirai.

19. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

When has Mirai ever gotten special treatment at Nationals? LOL If anything they pick her apart more than international judges and inflate other PCS while leaving hers alone.

20. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Mirai was judged quite favorably in the free skate in 2008, when she won her title.

21. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Uh, no. I was there. Mirai was the clear winner that day, no question. If anything, I was surprised to see Flatt's FS score so high.

22. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

I thought the judging was fair. It's not like she won the LP, IIRC she placed 3rd in that segment which was about right.

Anywho, the scores for all of Nagasu, Flatt, and Wagner were inflated.

23. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Was that in response to me? If so, I encourage you to reread my post. I never claimed that Mirai gets special treatment at US Nationals. I claimed (or implied, actually) that, in the past, callers at nationals have been less strict than callers at international competitions (skaters getting edge deductions all year and then nothing at nationals, etc). Right now, Mirai is having an issue with under rotations. Were the caller to be especially lenient across the board, Mirai might be one of the people who would benefit due to that fact. It would not be good for USFSA to send ANY skater to Worlds because the callers at nats turned a blind eye to under rotations and edge deductions that will be called at Worlds. I want Mirai on the team. But I want her there with her under-rotation issue actually solved.

24. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

I just smirk at the idea that Mirai or any other skater might possibly get favorable calls from the USFSA. It is not going to happen with Mirai period.... other skaters... it happens every year. Mirai has gotten edge calls at Nationals when there was video that the call was questionable, if not completely wrong, same with underrotations. Yes, Mirai does have these issues sometimes but not all the time. They seem to just check across the board without actually looking.

25. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

My prediction: Who ever places, there will still be plenty of bitching about the results and who is announced on the Worlds/4CC/JW teams. :p

Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  26. jlai

jlai Title-less

I do think US judges and callers do not always judge their skaters an intl judge/caller would. It was especially apparent in 2009 and 2012 US nationals when some female skaters got credit for 2.5 to 2.75 turns on their triples. OTOH, 2010 nationals caller for the ladies LP was strict, probably becasue the Olympics was on the line. I hope US will start having strict callers from now on. Some US ladies have borderline rotations and will be at the mercy of the caller come junior worlds or senior worlds. Chances are they will be dinged if the rotations remain the same

I also hope (not that it will happen) that USFS will ask the ladies who want to be considered for JW to show they can do the required jump in the short program. Some ladies will ditch their flip for a more reliable triple for hopes of placing high at nationals, but they may not be able to do as well at junior worlds because of the requirement for the flip.

I also hope GAO and Agnes Z won't be sent back to junior worlds again for the nth time, so let's hope they do well enough for at least a 4CC assignment (or the jw-eligible ladies rocking it and beat one or both). I wish USFS would have an informal rule about not sending ladies who get sent twice/thrice to jw already.

eta: I also hope the judges won't give the short program winner too much of a lead. Many a times the short program winner managed to win or podium despite major mistakes in the long because that skater got a big short program buffer.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  27. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Mirai's NHK exhibition

Just gorgeous skating. :swoon: I would love to see her win back the National title this year.

28. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

I think that was also a tactical move made by the technical panel because they wanted Ashley on the team over Mirai (since Ashley had arguably the best results up to that point in the season).

29. jlai

jlai Title-less

I'm not sure which tactical move you referred to, since Ashley was known more for two-footing than consistent underrotating,, at least in the past.

The lady who, IMO, got credit for quite a few URs at 2009 nationals was not a senior gp skater, though she competed senior nationally

30. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

As in strangle downgrading some of Mirai's jumps in the LP (like the triple triple on the 2A-3T combo, which was clearly fully rotated) because they wanted to decrease Mirai's score as much as possible to try to help Ashley.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.