U.S. Ladies [#6]: "Swaggering with the S'Wagner" et al. into 2013

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I'm 90% sure that Ashley worked at American Eagle...when she was with Hill. I don't remember hearing anything about a job once she got out here, but I did read something about attending school (IIRC, she's a part-time student at a local school that caters to nontraditional students).
  2. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

I found my answer in a Hersh article before 2012 Worlds:
  3. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

My hopes:

World Team - Wagner/Nagasu

4CC - Gao/ Zawadski/ Cesario

JW - Gold/ Lam/ Wang
  4. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

I'd love to see Mirai kick butt and take the second spot for Worlds. Ashley is my favorite of the US senior ladies, so obviously I want her to defend her title.

The one thing that must not happen this year is Mirai (or any other skater) getting credit at US Nationals for things they wouldn't get credit for internationally (which has happened before across the board). USFSA cannot afford to have lenient calls made at these championships. It would be shooting themselves in the foot. If Mirai takes the second spot, I want it to be because her URs are actually fixed.
    mag and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

Major word to this. And that includes PCS too. However, to secure 3 spots for the Olys we need Nagasu IMO. Unless Gracie Gold lives up to her hype (which is well deserved, she's charming and has the jumps) I want Nagasu on the World team this year. Let's just be smart. Mishin in an interview on another thread said something like 'rather one spot for great than two or three spots for bad'. Well, I want the three spots, because after all the parents have put in their kid's skating, they deserve the chance at a third spot, even if it means nowhere close to the podium. That's where I think USFS has shot themselves in the foot. Their actions wrt world teams has hurt the other skaters. I wouldn't be surprised if some families just had a sit-down pow-wow with their skating princess and said "Enough, there's only one spot, or two spots for Worlds/Olympics. We're done paying these bills". The USFS with their worlds decisions (and others) have probably decreased the participation from those who are +/- in the game so to speak.

Seriously, if parents of competitive skaters are on here, aren't you just a tad annoyed at how STUPID the USFS has been in securing the maximum number of entrants? Your Honey Boo Boo might not ever make a podium at an Olympics, but at least she GOT THERE. I'm surprised more parents haven't spoken up, but they are probably afraid for fear of judging retaliation.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  6. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I actually agree w/ you re Gold v. Nagasu for the 2nd spot: I'm in Nagasu's corner, unless Gold lives up to expectations and thus, can't be denied that spot.
  7. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

After seeing Christina Gao skate live in person at SA last month, my bet's on her making the team, period.

She skates with speed, power, attack, and all her jumps were perfect, and huge. :cool:

As for Ashley, she's the golden girl, and rightfully so. I don't expect that to change at Nationals, she just has to keep it up. :)
  8. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

The results are likely to be very close, especially between second, third, and fourth places. I feel that at this point, Gracie Gold is probably favored for the second spot (with her jumping ability as the key factor since solid 3/3 jumps are often more highly rewarded than having a complete package, i.e., jumps and budding artistry, such as Gao possesses). I love what I have seen from Christina Gao this season, and I'd love to see her grab the silver and a spot to Worlds, but if Gold skates to her current ability and lands everything, as I said, she might be favored by USFS in order to keep her in front of international judges, priming her for the future (whether or not that's the right or wrong strategy).

As far as Mirai, I enjoy seeing her battling back with more fire and sparkle than she exhibited last season, but it may not be enough for her to make the 2013 World team. If Mirai skates well at Nats, surely she will secure a trip to 4CC. I think as things currently stand, Gracie and Christina may have an edge over Mirai (even if they all skate their best).

Nationals results could possibly end up: Ashley, Gracie, Christina, Mirai.
  9. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

When has Mirai ever gotten special treatment at Nationals? LOL If anything they pick her apart more than international judges and inflate other PCS while leaving hers alone.
  10. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Mirai was judged quite favorably in the free skate in 2008, when she won her title.
  11. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Uh, no. I was there. Mirai was the clear winner that day, no question. If anything, I was surprised to see Flatt's FS score so high.
  12. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

I thought the judging was fair. It's not like she won the LP, IIRC she placed 3rd in that segment which was about right.

Anywho, the scores for all of Nagasu, Flatt, and Wagner were inflated.
  13. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Was that in response to me? If so, I encourage you to reread my post. I never claimed that Mirai gets special treatment at US Nationals. I claimed (or implied, actually) that, in the past, callers at nationals have been less strict than callers at international competitions (skaters getting edge deductions all year and then nothing at nationals, etc). Right now, Mirai is having an issue with under rotations. Were the caller to be especially lenient across the board, Mirai might be one of the people who would benefit due to that fact. It would not be good for USFSA to send ANY skater to Worlds because the callers at nats turned a blind eye to under rotations and edge deductions that will be called at Worlds. I want Mirai on the team. But I want her there with her under-rotation issue actually solved.
  14. Jarrett

I just smirk at the idea that Mirai or any other skater might possibly get favorable calls from the USFSA. It is not going to happen with Mirai period.... other skaters... it happens every year. Mirai has gotten edge calls at Nationals when there was video that the call was questionable, if not completely wrong, same with underrotations. Yes, Mirai does have these issues sometimes but not all the time. They seem to just check across the board without actually looking.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  15. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

My prediction: Who ever places, there will still be plenty of bitching about the results and who is announced on the Worlds/4CC/JW teams. :p
    Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  16. jlai

jlai Title-less

I do think US judges and callers do not always judge their skaters an intl judge/caller would. It was especially apparent in 2009 and 2012 US nationals when some female skaters got credit for 2.5 to 2.75 turns on their triples. OTOH, 2010 nationals caller for the ladies LP was strict, probably becasue the Olympics was on the line. I hope US will start having strict callers from now on. Some US ladies have borderline rotations and will be at the mercy of the caller come junior worlds or senior worlds. Chances are they will be dinged if the rotations remain the same

I also hope (not that it will happen) that USFS will ask the ladies who want to be considered for JW to show they can do the required jump in the short program. Some ladies will ditch their flip for a more reliable triple for hopes of placing high at nationals, but they may not be able to do as well at junior worlds because of the requirement for the flip.

I also hope GAO and Agnes Z won't be sent back to junior worlds again for the nth time, so let's hope they do well enough for at least a 4CC assignment (or the jw-eligible ladies rocking it and beat one or both). I wish USFS would have an informal rule about not sending ladies who get sent twice/thrice to jw already.

eta: I also hope the judges won't give the short program winner too much of a lead. Many a times the short program winner managed to win or podium despite major mistakes in the long because that skater got a big short program buffer.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  17. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Mirai's NHK exhibition

Just gorgeous skating. :swoon: I would love to see her win back the National title this year.
  18. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

I think that was also a tactical move made by the technical panel because they wanted Ashley on the team over Mirai (since Ashley had arguably the best results up to that point in the season).
  19. jlai

jlai Title-less

I'm not sure which tactical move you referred to, since Ashley was known more for two-footing than consistent underrotating,, at least in the past.

The lady who, IMO, got credit for quite a few URs at 2009 nationals was not a senior gp skater, though she competed senior nationally
  20. smarts1

As in strangle downgrading some of Mirai's jumps in the LP (like the triple triple on the 2A-3T combo, which was clearly fully rotated) because they wanted to decrease Mirai's score as much as possible to try to help Ashley.
  21. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

In 2010?
  22. smarts1

^ Yes....... Am I the only person who remembers this?!?!? Most people thought Mirai had won her second title after her LP at 2010 US Nationals, but for some reason, her LP score was really low, which was due to some questionable calls on her jumps in the LP.
  23. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I remember it took them a loooooooooooong time to name the ladies team.
  24. jlai

jlai Title-less

I was watching Mirai in the arena, and even that far away I could tell some of Mirai's jumps would be dinged, and I didnt even need replay to tell. Ceasrio got a huge audience reception for her lp, but shegot dinged for urs,and as it turned out, she got dinged the same way at jgp the next year. So thecaller was rightly strict that time at 2010. It turned out a good thing for Cesario who made her jumps so big since.
  25. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

No, I totally remember this, too. This is how I remember it:

After the SP, Mirai was first, followed by Sasha, Rachael and Ashley (in that order). The top 3 were very close and Ashley was a bit behind (I think it was 7 points between Rachael and Ashley, but then there was a good distance between Ashley and Christina, who was 5th).

I don't know why this happened, but for some reason, the last warm-up group wasn't quite in order. First was Amanda Dobbs (remember her?) and then Christina, then Ashley. For some reason, Sasha went next, followed by Rachael, followed by Mirai.

Amanda and Christina were non-factors (but I remember pinky spent a lot of the spring/summer saying that Christina would win 2011 Nationals). Ashley put out a super-solid (save for some questionable jumps) and wound up with 184-something. Sasha tanked and wound up ~10 pts. below Ashley. Ash spends the rest of the night looking at the scoreboard with this scared look on her face. Rachael does a decent enough job and somehow pulls out 200-something. Then comes Mirai, who skated to Carmen (scares me that I remember the top 4 scores and music selection!) and had the crowd going wild. I thought she won. The crowd seemed to think she won. Scott Hamilton even said he was pretty sure she was the proud recipient of a 2nd title.

Then, for some reason, she got URs (it wasn't very clear from the NBC camera view, IIRC). She got 188-something, a distant second from Rachael, and the shock set in.

And then, yeah, it took a long time for them to name the team, and Ashley found out that she didn't make the cut because someone sent her a text. I do wonder if the top four and the way things panned out throughout their careers (what with Sasha royally screwing up, Ashley qualifying to the GPF and Mirai's 2008-2009 season) meant that there was actually some debate about who would make the team (but it turned out the way I expected).
  26. RD

RD Well-Known Member

I certainly thought so. Nagasu had the crowd and the fire that night, Flatt didn't.

Anyway, for the second spot it seems to be between Gold, Nagasu and Gao (not forgetting Zawadzki, of course). I'd probably put likelihood in that order (Gold most likely, Nagasu 2nd, etc.)
  27. Sylvia

There's a "TV rule" in USFS' rule book that dictates the top 3 after the SP (Senior singles) will draw to skate in the last 3 of the FS and 4-6 after the SP will draw to skate in the first 3. IIRC, all the 2010 Olympic team members and alternates reportedly were notified by USFS via text message.

ETA 2013 competition dates:
    Nationals are Jan. 20-27 in Omaha, NE
    4CC are Feb. 6-11 in Osaka, JPN
    Jr. Worlds are Feb. 25-Mar. 3 in Milan, ITA
    Worlds are Mar. 10-17 in London, CAN
  28. JeffClair1979

JeffClair1979 Active Member

Trueness
  29. jlai

jlai Title-less

The tv-oriented skating order has been in place for some time.

The crowd went wild for Cesario that night too, but the caller dinged her for URs, which she also got dinged for the next season in her jgp. And Scott Hamilton, well, he did say Yagudin conceded the long program in 2002 right? ;)

The calling back then was super-strict across all GPs -- if you looked quarter turn short you were downgraded. The > and >> thing took effect a year or two ago, I think.

Anyway, I'm thankful for tough calling. If not for that, we wouldn't see Cesario and her huge jumps today. I wish some of our top skaters had gotten more calls earlier in their career to help them work on their jumps. :(
    mag and (deleted member) like this.
  30. TwizzlerS

TwizzlerS Well-Known Member

31. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

As sad as Lip's withdrawal is from the GPF, it's also a major break through for Gao, who is now in as the 6th finalist.
  32. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

It's going to be a hard trip for her, so close to finals.
  33. TwizzlerS

TwizzlerS Well-Known Member

Harvard used to have finals after Xmas. I'm not sure if that's still the case.
  34. Sylvia

35. Sylvia

36. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

So excited for Christina! (but sad for Julia). If she can skate well at the GPF, that should definitely help her case to make the World team!
  37. Jarrett

Interesting turn of events! Goodluck Christina! Julia, hope she is okay, I just read the injury report :(
  38. feraina

feraina Active Member

Ahh, Harvard now has finals before Christmas, a much saner schedule!
    Christina is lucky, GPF falls on Reading Period, so no missed classes. And then she'll still have a couple days after GPF to rest and study for her finals.
    http://www.registrar.fas.harvard.edu/calendar
  39. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I guess there tends to be more b***hing than news in the U.S. ladies thread, but since the above is actually news, it seems to be not the place for Trash, altho' of course there is always overlap.

Good luck to Christina! Hope this gives Julia a chance to rest and heal (her head and her ankle), as well as to reflect on the aspects of her skating where she can improve and further develop.
  40. icellist

icellist Member

I had already predicted Lipnitskaya would withdraw to heal her ankle, but this makes me a bit more angry at the NHK judging. I believed Suzuki should have won and Mirai a distant second, but maoturation, both fell a spot. Mirai would have tied Tukt and Gao in points but would win over Gao for combined score.

Well at least another American goes to GPF. Good luck Christina!
    Coco and (deleted member) like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.