U.S. Ladies [#6]: "Swaggering with the S'Wagner" et al. into 2013

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

This is OT in this thread, but I've been thinking for a while that the classic layback position should be a feature so that skaters can't get their high level by skipping over it. Or maybe the wording should be as it was before for the sideways-leaning feature (something like "sideways to back or reverse"), so that just hitting the sideways position and then foot-grabbing isn't good enough. Just IMO.

2. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

ITA. I've thought that for a while. It should be the only way you can get a level 4 on a layback is if you can achieve that classic layback position with a sufficient lean in the back and leg positioning, or if they can't get the get the leg in the correct position, then the lean in the back should compensate for it like this. Even though she doesn't extend the free leg, her back is parallel to the ice, the spin is fast, the centering is good, and the positions she hits are clean and well executed.

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

4. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

From what it looks like, both Czisny and Flatt have withdrawn....

5. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Flatt was planning on coming to Nationals? I didn't even know.

6. Sylvia

Flatt announced back in late October that she was ending her season. She may have been accidently listed as EW (Entry Withdrawn) in the SP start order that was drawn earlier today? Now Czisny and Vanessa Lam as listed as EW. Laney Diggs (5th in Senior Ladies at Pacific Coast Sectionals) has officially replaced Lam in Omaha.

7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Thanks, totally missed that.

8. smarts1

Oh whoops, I forgot that Flatt made that announcement...

9. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Well, the same can be said of Gracie, for example, also. She hasn't skated well under pressure either this season.

So if Mirai deserves to place first or second at Nationals, the judges shoudn't place her there because, in your opinion, she shouldn't be sent to World's because of her results at a competition that took place in the past??!!

10. kwanatic

Mirai's only been to worlds once...almost 4 years ago. She was just coming off of placing 4th at the Olympics (a total surprise) and was leading after the SP (a complete shock). She folded under the pressure.

I agree she wasn't that great in 2011 and did look defeated before she took the ice, however she didn't "collapse". She wasn't great but she didn't collapse/implode either; she had a fall on a 2A and a botched spin. Personally, I think she did enough to place 2nd but Rachael was the go-to skater after Alissa that year so (as per usual at nationals) she was held up and the rest is a tibia-gate nightmare. Mirai did go to 4CC and place 3rd a few weeks later so...

Mirai isn't the same skater she was in 2011 or last season. She looks more motivated, like she's having more fun and like she's enjoying skating more this year. Who knows how well she'll do? Give her a chance...

11. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

If the above competitors....Czisny, Flatt and Lam, or any other competitor, had all filed their paperwork with USFS (intent to compete at US Nationals, etc by the deadlines), then they are official entrants, and therefore would be posted as such. Once they are part of the official entrant list, the referee would list them as "EW: entry withdrawn" for the SP draw for the referee. SOP. ;-)

12. kwanatic

I'll post this here too.

http://thenakedice.blogspot.com/

I'm on Twitter now (@NakedIceBlog)! I don't know if there's a thread for the forum in terms of Twitter (where everyone can follow each other; I found kwanette! ;) ) but if you follow me I'll follow you!

13. kwanatic

14. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Thank you! She does seem to be in a better place and I hope that translates to the ice these next few days! :)

15. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

That is a great interview with Mirai, and I wouldn't be surprised if she pulls another 2010 where everyone in the building thought she won, but didn't get the marks. I guess that's wrong, I'm sure a very cold rink Mom thought Flatt was perfection and deserved to win decidedly, but let's get back to reality. I love Ashley, love her packaging, but Mirai from day one was one of those 'special' skaters. Too bad the mindgames and UR's have held her back. I hope everyone skates well for themselves this weekend, but I'm Team Mirai (with a realistic attitude...). I hope she's proud of whatever she does, because her skating improved immensely in the last year and it was clear she has put the sweat in. This should be an interesting competition, because the politics scream Wagner/Gold for Worlds IMO.

And doesn't Nagasu just come across as a more centered, and NICE young woman? She doesn't seem to have that b*tch quality that raises you to that final level, but dang she has all the skills needed to be a champion.

After 2010 with Flatt emerging as national champ, I've lost faith in the sport (well it happened before then, but I thought Flatt's win was egregiously political and wrong). Now I just want everyone to skate their best and forget about getting a 7.5 PCS instead of the 8.5 they deserve. It's the only way I can watch the sport now, I just can't care about the outcomes. It's the skating that matters.

16. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

What frustrated me about Mirai at last year Nats, was that she'd be skating and performing and then kind of fade away and everything became mechanical, as if she just mentally checked out of there. Then she'd come back and perform again. I'd love to see her performing the entire program this time, in an engaged, exciting way.

17. Sylvia

Re-posting this news from the US Nationals forum in Kiss and Cry:
    Tweeted by @LynnRutherford yesterday (Jan. 22) afternoon:
    "Leah Keiser may have a foot or ankle problem; she is limping a bit & missed some jumps in practice. Coach Nicks is concerned. #Omaha2013"

ETA on Jan. 24 that there's now a statement by Keiser about her injury withdrawal from the Senior Ladies event on her site: http://leahkeiser.com/

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  18. smarts1

Looks like Mirai will be in the mix up for the free skate!

19. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

How are you guys watching? I'd really like to watch and I don't have an IN subscription!

20. smarts1

^ Lol I'm just going to wait for the youtube videos lol

21. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I probably will, too. :) Thrilled for Mirai--she seems so happy these days!

22. smarts1

Wow, I really have no idea who will be going to JWs this year. It seems like so many of the girls are going to be in the toss up, especially with someone like Yasmin skating so well.

And I guess we'll have to see where the other contenders are going to place!

23. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

Sorry in advance for the unnecessary post but can someone please link me to the starting orders or results pages? I'm watching and subscribed to IN but I have no idea where to find the order.

24. smarts1

25. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

Thank-you!

26. demetriosj

thought COP was supposed to eliminate the judges holding places for later skaters? this is no different than 6.0....

you can't tell me skating first doesn't hurt your scores, or that the judges are not leaving room for Gao, Gold, Wagner, Zawadzki..........

27. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I think, depending on final scores, Polina Edmunds may already have one of the three JW spots. I was predicting that Miller and Wang would get the other two. Now, I'm not sure.

28. smarts1

Why is it taking so long to get Caroline's score!?!?!?

29. demetriosj

doesn't Junior champ always go to JW?

30. demetriosj

judges trying to make sure they screw her?!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.