U.S. Ladies [#6]: "Swaggering with the S'Wagner" et al. into 2013

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shan

shan Well-Known Member

(((Vanessa))) I hope she makes a speedy recovery.

2. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

It's very obvious Mirai is in a different place this year. Her training situation took a lot out of her but she has made some great improvements this season. Instead of zombie-skating through her programs, she's giving some energy and fighting for her jumps. I really hope they've worked on her air position; that seemed to be the main thing that was hurting her this season. But she finished well at COC and even better at NHK so I'm hoping the trend continues.

She's under the radar but it's impossible to forget about her. People know how amazing she can be. When she's on, she's still the best skater the US has...the problem is she hasn't been on since her LP at 4CC year before last. I don't know why but I feel like she'll come in 2nd this year. I know a lot of people are on about Gracie but I'm not sure if Gracie is going to hold up under the pressure in her first senior appearance at nationals. I could be totally wrong but we'll see...

Sad about Vanessa Lam. She hasn't had the greatest of seasons so I was hoping to see her turn it around at nationals...

3. emma1227

emma1227 New Member

I also have a great feeling about Mirai this year, something is clicking. It seems like she has matured a bit, the article also talks about her gaining a bit of independence. I think she needed that. Very interested in seeing how Samantha Cesario will do. I was watching videos from her JGP event earlier this year. That Ina Bauer is just stunning, really love her skating. Would love to see her do well and earn a GP assignment. She was talking about possibly including a triple triple later in the season, her injury may have changed that. Ahh can't wait until next weekend.

4. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Sad about Vanessa, I was curious to see how she'd faire at Nationals after skating/scoring so well at Sectionals. Her jump technique is a bit :yikes: so the hip pain does not surprise me...plus she does a lot of loop jumps which we all know how hard those are on the hips. Hope she feels better soon!

5. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

She was on at NHK this year. IMO that is the best she is capable of these days. She is just already no longer the skater she was back in 2010-2011, even if she is on.

6. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Worth noting that Mirai's GP results this year are the same as Ashley's last year... :)

7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

8. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Sad to say but i think you're right. Mirai is really not any better as a skater then back in 2010 and if anything she's not as fast.

9. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

I agree with you JJ. There's something missing. To think that Phil Hersh once predicted she would win gold in Sochi. Now it'll be a triumph for her just to return to the Olympics. :(

10. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

I love all the doom and gloom. Haters will always be haters because that is all do day in, day out. Mirai don't give them the time of day.

11. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Not a hater i've been a fan of Mirai's since 2008 but she's not the same skater as she was in 2010. Sure she can win Nationals but i don't see her winning a medal at Worlds. After the Olympics i though we would see Mirai on the podium in the next few years at Worlds but who though 2010 would be her only trip.

12. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

^Why don't we all cut Mirai a break. She is 19, now an adult / acting more mature, has made some life changes, and appears to have identified / fixed those components to her training that needed work (ex- off-ice training). Technically, she's achieving better positions in her spins, getting the 3-3 down in her SP, and is backloading her LP. I don't get the gloom and doom. :confused:

13. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

AND:

Wagner changed coaches last season. Nagasu changed coaches this season.

But if this was the rule...

Czisny won Nationals and one major senior international and then placed top 5 at Worlds in 2011. She did solidly at GPs in 2012 but fell a couple of times at GPF, injured herself and failed to defend her title at Nationals and bombed at Worlds.

Wagner won Nationals and one major senior international and then placed top 5 at Worlds in 2012. She did solidly at GPs in 2013 but fell at GPF and ... :eek:

14. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Now, Kostner didn't tame down her jumps and get her consistency down until AFTER she slowed down and got control over her skating.

15. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Not a hater either. She's my favorite US skater right now in any discipline. Sick of some overly sensitive posters generalizing people as haters every time they read something they don't like. I hope Mirai surprises many people at nationals.

16. jlai

jlai Title-less

I like Mirai, and hope Mirai surpirses. At the same time, I'm not surprised if she falls short. Competition is tough and I have seen a bit of the old Mirai and a bit of the new Mirai. So we'll see.

17. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

You guys need to give Mirai a break. I remember last year before Nationals I said that Ashley really had a chance to make it to the top and make a statement, and nearly everyone here scoffed it off like I was crazy. It's amazing to me how easily some people here write off skaters. Mirai once was thought to be the next big ladies skaters for the US, and who says she can't reach that form again? You guys also need to remember Mirai is normally a late season bloomer. Based on what we've seen this season, Mirai is heading back in the right direction to get back to the top.

18. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Cross-posting from here to get us all in the mood for U.S. Nationals:

:)

19. kwanatic

I have to disagree. She had a strong performance at NHK but she's capable of doing better. She URed two triples and didn't maximize levels on all of her elements (which she's capable of improving), so that means she's capable of scoring better than the 115 she earned. She's not the skater she was back in 2010 but then again who is? People grow up, change and evolve and I think 19 year old Mirai deserves that right just like every other skater...

Some people peak early, some people peak late...then there are the rare ones who are able to maintain their position throughout their career. Mirai has had an up-and-down skating career but I think it's far too early to drop a curtain on her or proclaim that she's gone as far as she's capable of going. She's had a good year and is showing signs of improvement.

If we've learned anything from Ashley it's that all it takes is a season of strong performances to turn the tables in your favor. Look at what she did...look at Akiko, Carolina, even Alissa for a while...all of these skaters started off roughly but eventually found their way. Who's to say Mirai can't do the same thing? :)

20. RD

RD Well-Known Member

I agree. I had Nagasu as the dark horse this year - briefly switched it to Gao after TEB but I really think it is Nagasu people should watch out for. She's had some setbacks and is feeling less pressure - that can do WONDERS for confidence if you're not feeling the heat. Wagner, OTOH, will find out first-hand how tough it is to defend a title. She is probably more likely to succeed than Czisny, Flatt or Nagasu in the same role (mainly due to drive), but even the toughest competitors have off-days or can succumb to nerves if the stakes get high enough.

Gold is another one I think will be on the podium somewhere...anywhere from an upset win (should she be totally ON and Wagner messes up) to maybe 4th or 5th if she has freeskate troubles. Somewhat reminiscient of Zawadzki...and speaking of Zawadzki, I wouldn't count her out either. Gao is a tossup (will we get SA Gao or GPF Gao?). Probably the toughest Nationals to predict in quite some time...

21. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

How I long for the days of the U.S. skaters who didn't need a low/no pressure situation to do well. Like Kwan, Lipinski, heck even Hughes (wasn't a fan of her skating but girl had nerves of steel!). I don't mean to knock the current ladies, but seeing them struggle in high-pressure situations makes me appreciate how rare and special Kwan, Lipinski and Hughes's steely nerves really were.

22. olympic

I got the impression that Gao messed up at the GPF only because she wasn't adequately prepared for it.

The US really was spoiled in the era of Kwan, Lipinski, and Hughes. I think that especially accented the freefall of US ladies after 2006 Worlds.

23. kwanatic

Well, here's my predictions for the ladies competition later this week. Count me as one who thinks Mirai is gonna shock a few people :)

http://thenakedice.blogspot.com/

I watched a bit of the juniors' SPs and I'm noticing a disturbing trend: a lot of them are doing the lazy, half-assed laybacks which really bothers me. The US has always been known for having strong laybacks and spirals. Between Kwan, Cohen and even Hughes, that area was locked up for the longest. Then enters Alissa, Mirai, Caroline and Ashley too.

What's happening to the US ladies? I saw several of the junior ladies doing the Russian style layback (sideways leaning position to haircutter to Biellmann). I don't like it! Fix it! Fix it now!!:mad:

24. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

One of my criterion for favourite US ladies skater is their Layback and Spiral, I hold those in endlessly high regard!

Fix it! Fix it! FIX IT JUNIORS! Thanks Kwanatic :)

25. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

How is predicting a silver or bronze for Nagasu thinking she will shock people (either just making or just missing the World team). I was under the impression that is what most are expecting from her at these Nationals. I enjoyed your write up for Nationals and thanks for showing it, but the boldest thing you predicted as far as placement was Wang finishing above Zawadzki, the rest was pretty much on par with the consensus predictions.

I honestly would much rather see Gao make the team by finishing 2nd than Nagasu or Gold, but I dont think the judges will let that happen unless Nagasu and Gold both have a major error or two (atleast).

26. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I was at the junior ladies SP tonight and noticed the laybacks were not pretty. The friend who went with me is a very casual skating fan and got an earful about horrid free leg positions and such. She even recognized how bad a couple were when the turnout was just not there. Ugh. I agree completely; they all need to fix it. ASAP.

27. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Idk I thought Gelb, Long, Chen, and Edmunds all had very nice laybacks.

28. kwanatic

:lol: Well I guess I somewhat stated the obvious, huh? It's true, I do agree with what most people think but b/c it's my blog I like to state my assumptions/terrible predictions for the record. ;)

A number of people are feeling that Gracie has the better chance of placing 2nd based on her technical content alone. The pressure is on Gracie to deliver (to back up all the hype) and for Ashley to deliver (b/c she's been doing so well and it hasn't been done in years). Mirai is definitely in the mix, without a doubt. However, I don't think people are as excited about her as they are Ashley and Gracie. That's why she's been labeled a bit of an underdog this year. I agree with those who think she may be able to benefit from not having the spotlight on her. No, it's not a profound or enlightening prediction but I feel the need to state it anyway...especially if she ends up coming in 2nd b/c then I get to say "told you so! told you so!" like I did last year for Ashley. :encore:

I say we write a petition to the USFSA demanding that coaches force our ladies to stick to the classic layback position! No half-assed leaning ones! That's not the American way!! Don't let the old traditions die! :soapbox::soapbox: :rofl:

29. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I can't stand those weirdo leaning laybacks. Something about the classic layback is just gorgeous (when done right, that is). I get it, it's not that easy...but nothing in skating is easy. And that side one looks so ugly.

30. olympic

I think Agnes might finish better, if only because she'll probably get a cushion from the SP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.