U.S. Ladies [#6]: "Swaggering with the S'Wagner" et al. into 2013

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Well-Known Member

I hope she's ok by Nationals and more importantly that this isn't affecting her training for Nationals. Off topic but I love her hair color.

2. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

As we all know, a true case of the flu usually leaves you pretty incapable of mirth and amusement, so due to the fact she's smiling and joking (in the pics) I doubt it's a knock-you-flat-on-your-back flu virus. She probably has a cold or something.

3. lulu

lulu New Member

4. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I thought Alexe Gilles had retired. I didn't realize she was skating for Canada. Of course her and her siblings have Canadian ancestry through their mother, as I recall reading.

5. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Is she scheduled for Canadian Nationals? I assume Piper and Paul are.

6. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Yes, Alexe will skate in the senior women's short program this afternoon.

7. apatinar

apatinar New Member

Alexe is still around??? I thought that when she got too tall, she would have stopped skating.. I guess a giraffe in Canada has a better chance of getting to the Olympics than a giraffe in the U.S.A!

8. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Alexe Gilles qualified for Canadians by finishing 9th at Challenge in December (top 17 advanced) - I think a 8-10 finish would be a reasonable result for her. She is coached by Christy Krall in Colorado Springs but will likely have other coaches with her at Canadians.

ETA:

Thanks! Laxson is coached by Andrey Kryukov (interviewed in the video) and she was 6th in Novice at Nationals last year. She is competing in Junior Ladies this year.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  9. Sylvia

10. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Great article on Mirai by Lynn Rutherford! Love it! And I love that Mirai seems in a much much better place than last year. She's obviously in great shape and in a better frame of mind. Those two-hour drives really seemed to take a toll last season but that's behind her now. It's interesting they brought in other choreographers (Jamie Isley and Cindy Stuart) to tighten Mirai's SP and LP respectively. I can't wait to see what they've done as far as adding transitions. etc. and I also like that her coaches have zeroed in on her UR's. She's my fave and it'll be a dream if she makes the World team this year-and the Olympics again (next year)!

Mirai posted a pic of her (and a friend) on her twitter and FB accounts:
    http://instagram.com/p/UpW-UKC5Zv/

I think she looks to be in great shape.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  11. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

I would love to see Mirai kick butt at Nationals. She sounds like she's in the exact frame of mind we see a lot of skaters have when they are about to throw down some amazing performances. An Ashley/Mirai World team this year would be a dream come true. Both of them also have the potential to really shake things up at Worlds.

12. worldsnice12

worldsnice12 Member

13. apatinar

apatinar New Member

I hope that these new people brought in to enhance Mirai's skating have worked on her arms as I have found that they have become very mechanical and robot looking.. Definitely not like the younger Mirai who blew everyone away with her freedom of movement.

14. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

But what happens if Mirai does well and makes it to Worlds again? History tells us when she isn't flying under the radar but is expected to do well she crumbles when the pressure is on. Just look how she collapsed in 2011 when Alissa skated lights out right before her. She was beaten before she even took the ice.

15. Sylvia

Each competition provides a new opportunity for every skater to be successful. :cool:

16. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Spin Alissa Spin!!!

And each competition is a learning experience for every skater. :cool:

17. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Even if she makes Worlds the expectations for her will be mild, unless somehow Wagner doesnt make it and the pressure is really racheted up on the remaining 2 Americans. Going to Worlds with Wagner she would be expected to deliver a finish of around 8th or 9th, and Wagner would be the one under pressure to win a medal or atleast make top 5, to gain the U.S 3 spots back. No matter how well she does at Nationals nobody will be expecting a medal from her if she goes to Worlds, so she should remain under the radar, which as you suggested is a good thing for her.

18. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

...remaining 1 American lady.

I think if Mirai skates fearlessly and with attack, she wins whether she makes the world team or not and at worlds, whether she makes the final group or not. That's all she needs to prove this season.

(And of course "fearlessly and with attack" means rotated jumps.)

19. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Just saw on twitter that Vanessa Lam has WD from Nationals. :(

20. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

That's really too bad for Vanessa. I hope it's not too late for the first alternate, Laney Diggs, to be able to compete.

21. Sylvia

@icenetwork tweeted: " Senior ladies competitor Vanessa Lam has withdrawn from the 2013 U.S. Championships because of knee and hip injuries."

I believe an invitation has been extended to first alternate Laney Diggs.

22. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I hope to see Mirai do well in Omaha. Ironically, the article that says there is no hype, creates the hype. Nonetheless, best of luck to Ashley, Mirai et al! :kickass:

23. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ Wow, Vanessa seemed fine at Sectionals. That's too bad. Wishing Vanessa well, and good luck to Laney.

24. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

One article on icenetwork does not hype make.

25. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

How many articles make the hype?

26. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

Surprised you don't remember hulabaloo after Nagasu-Zhang 1-2 finish at U.S. juniors . . . followed by junior worlds . . . followed by bruhaha about Mirai being too young for worlds . . . and then Nagasu interviews at 2010 Olympics . . . vs. one lonely little icenetwork piece.

27. Sylvia

28. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

^ Thank you very much, Sylvia. Hopefully her past results will be enough to get her on the JGP again next season, assuming she does well in her summer competitions.

29. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

That was when there was something to hype about. This article raises expectations of Mirai's performance without this season's results to back them. I do wish her to do well next week.

30. jlai

jlai Title-less

I hope skaters like Lam will try to do seniors, and I hope ISU will offer more incentives for young and promising skaters to move up.

Best wishes to all injured ladies and hope they will be healthy soon. And hopefully not any more withdrawals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.