U.S. Ladies [#6]: "Swaggering with the S'Wagner" et al. into 2013

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

What criteria determines who gets a conference?

2. apatinar

apatinar New Member

I would think that skaters who generate interest would get a conference.. Caroline has been a non factor in everything for quite some time now..

3. jlai

jlai Title-less

I think the defending champ gets a conference, and perhaps the second place finisher. It's rather unusual for Gracie to get one, imho. Zhang finsihed 4th last nationals and pewter finishers don't get conferences.

4. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Isn't Gold a reigning Jr ladies champ?

5. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

That means she has to practice 3flip3toe for the short and 3lutz3toe and 2axel3toe for the free.

Why not just do the 3lutz3toe and 3flip in the short so she doesn't have to practice one more big trick?

6. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

But this way, she maximizes her GOE in the sp, and shows a variety of composition, which has to help her pcs.

7. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

^True. The only change will come from adding the Rippon Lutz which she was hitting before the start of the season, anyway.

8. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

In terms of potential, no one has more firepower than Gracie. However I'm not completely convinced she'll be able to hit everything she's talking up. I know she can do the jumps but, as I always say, ability counts for squat if you can't do it at go-time. I would think dropping the flip-sal combo (which I don't think she managed to do on the GP) will help her in terms of execution. She probably has a much higher success rate with the 2a-3t...

This will be a good test for her. There's no pressure like your first senior nationals and unfortunately for her she comes in with a spotlight on her which will make it even tougher. None of the other girls debuting at senior nationals are getting this much attention (Angela, Hannah, Courtney, etc.) and that might just work in their favor in terms of pressure. Gracie's got a lot on her shoulders so it will be interesting to see how she handles the pressure/spotlight/expectation...

9. demetriosj

Angela Wang is not debuting this year at senior nationals. She competed last year as a senior and did quite well despite mistakes in her short.

10. demetriosj

I don't know, do most Jr. ladies champs get a teleconference?

11. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

As Wagner has said in her interviews, she will skate "smart"...so I am not really expecting a 3-3 from her. Maybe a 2A-3T in the LP, but I will be very surprised if she goes for the 3-3. The capacity to put a "new element" in at US Natls, when it hasn't been executed successfully early in the season in competition creates alot of anxiety for the skater. Will just have to wait and see....

On the other hand, not sure what she is waiting for. If she is serious about being a "contender" in Sochi, esp now that Yuna appears to be back in top form, Wagner will have to up the ante and do a 3-3. I suppose Mr Nicks will hold off this year, and from the onset of next season, is probably when I would expect the 3-3 to show up. (And, perhaps try and get the flutz fixed)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
    Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. kwanatic

I forgot; she placed 8th last year. But the other ladies are debuting...

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  13. kwanatic

Smart for Ashley is keeping everything as is. At SA and TEB with the layout she has she score 127+ points. Keep in mind those are scores from international judges. So if she keeps the same content, delivers a comparable performance to her GP performances, at nationals, in front of a panel of judges who are salivating to give her that gold medal and send her to worlds, she'll probably score somewhere around 130-135.

She doesn't need to risk adding the content. The rest of her skating is head and shoulders above everyone else in the competition. For this competition especially, she needs to play to her strengths which is skating the content she has to her best ability and performing the hell outta her programs. If she does that, she'll be untouchable...

14. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

I don't believe there are any set criteria. Some skaters may decline to be interviewed via teleconference call but agree to one-on-one calls with individual journalists. Media interest often is taken into account as well.

Gold, Miller, Hicks, Ashley Cain, and Amanda Hofmann are the 5 ladies making their senior debut at Nationals this year.

15. demetriosj

....and media interest is oftentimes generated when you can afford to pay an agent(s) to promote your case to media outlets. Not all skaters have that advantage, unfortunately.

16. vada5553

vada5553 New Member

17. Sylvia

18. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Gracie looks great! Idk if it's the hairstyle and/or costume, but she looks a lot more mature physically and presentation-wise compared to last season. Her presentation has definitely improved, I still wish her arm movements were a bit softer, but everything else looks great. I expect she'll skate very well at Nationals, she's definitely done a lot of hard work improving in the areas she needed to work on this season.

19. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

If Gracie never makes it big in skating i don't think it will be for lack of working hard. She seems driven and is very mature for a 17 year old.

20. demetriosj

I think anyone who can compete at this level is driven and mature. All competitors are training their butts off and have the desire to win, naturally.....

21. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Maybe Ashley will keep her programs as is for Nats, and then if she goes to 4CCs, try more difficult jump combos there, pre-Worlds. We'll soon find out.

22. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Who from JPN and KOR will be at 4CC's? Will that figure into Ashley taking risks? I wonder what type of strategy Ashley will pursue at 4CC's ... or if she'll even make the trip all the way to JPN

23. mustafinabars

mustafinabars Member

Gold needs to improve her artistic ability and get more consistent on her jumps. All the talent is there. I dont think she will shine until post Sochi though, pretty much all the young skaters, including the young Russians, will be made to wait until most of the veterans retire.

24. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

From the USFS Facebook page:

One poster in the Alissa thread in GSD suspects she dislocated her hip.

25. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear about Alissa. :( *tears*

And the hip dislocation sounds horrific!

Honestly wishing her all the best; there's still next year, and she still has a chance to make the Team. In fact if we get 3 spots for next year my wish would be for Alissa to get that much coveted 3rd spot, just because her dream is to go to the Olympics, and she's been through so much, this will literally be her last shot.

:kickass:GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ALISSA!!!!!:kickass:

26. jlai

jlai Title-less

Given the injuries among US ladies, I'm hoping skaters like Wagner and Cesario will listen to their bodies and try their best to stay healthy and fit.

27. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

^ If any, it's Cesario. Has Ashley even ever pulled out of comp for an injury?

28. Sylvia

Update on Alissa Czisny via her coach, Jason Dungjen - new article posted in this GSD thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...ted-hip-ends-Czisny-s-bid-for-third-U-S-title

ETA:
    Not that I know of (she withdrew from 2010 Junior Worlds ahead of time, but that was likely due to emotional exhaustion after not making the 2010 Olympic team).

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  29. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I think Ashley withdrew from Junior Worlds in 2010 because she had nothing to gain by going. She had already gone twice before and by 2010 going to a Junior competition was a step down especially after almost making the Olympic team.

30. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I'm really bummed about Alissa missing Nationals. I wish for her a full recovery from her hip dislocate. :(

Mirai apparently has the flu (or 'might' have it) per her twitter account.

https://twitter.com/mirai_nagasu
    Mirai Nagasu ‏@mirai_nagasu
    I might have the flu and I might have just locked myself out of the car but I'm still rocking it. ��#nofilter http://instagr.am/p/UhWEXwi5V-/

I hope she's okay for Nationals-it's so close now! :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.