U.S. Ladies [#6]: "Swaggering with the S'Wagner" et al. into 2013

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

If the 3f3t doesn't pan out, Ashley should try to learn a 1foot 2 sal - 3f combo, maybe with the inside arm overhead on the 2sal. It should get more GOE than 3ftano2t. If she can master 2a3t, she could still have 7 triples in the long program.

I want to see someone learn this combo, and she's a great candidate as the flip is her best jump.

2. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I don't agree that you have to go in as the U.S. Champ to win an event. I do agree that the U.S. should not have placed all their bets on Rachael. I guess they thought a consistent 6-7th place skater was better than someone who you didn't know if they would win or implode.

3. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ In my humble opinion, I think there were some officials in USFS who felt Rachael would be a golden girl and top contender at Worlds and Olympics, but ISU judges saw it differently. Similarly, USFS seemed to feel that Ryan B going into Worlds as U.S. #1 in 2011, would suddenly be vaulted to top contender in minds of ISU judges. Perhaps there has been a learning curve, or not. FS is an exasperating, confounding endlessly debatable sport.

4. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

IMO it speaks volumes to the lack of common sense or complete lack of realism of many in the USFSA if they honestly thought Flatt or Bradley would be viewed as top echelon skaters by international judges even as the U.S Champions. I could see them thinking Flatt's consitency could be a great potential asset in that the Olympic ladies event might pan out to be a splatfest as it often had in the past, and if that happened she could sneak in for a bronze with her usual clean skate with 3/3s and their full backing as the #1, but that would be all.

5. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

^Maybe the USFSA got high off of Flatt's 'victory' over Yu Na in the LP at '09 Skate America where Yu Na was flawed. Mao really struggled during the GP series that year. Joannie bombed the GPF. Altogether, they probably did think there was a shot at a US medal from a very consistent Flatt. History was certainly on their side - US ladies had medalled at every Olympics since Peggy Fleming. In the end, it was Mirai that would do best in the Olympics.

6. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

@USFigureSkating just tweeted these quotes from Ashley Wagner's pre-Nationals media teleconference:
    ETA link to an interview with Wagner that includes "Her Best (and worst) Red Carpet Moments": http://www.divinecaroline.com/130801/134888-ashley-wagner

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  7. olympic

Thinking they won't do the 3-3 for Nationals, but maybe 4CC's and Worlds? Sounds like she's strategizing a la Kween

8. RD

RD Well-Known Member

^ We'll see if that's smart or not. On one hand she may not need it at nationals, but on the other she might want to get comfortable doing it under pressure (in competition)

9. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

That sounds very Jill Trenary-ish.. I would love to see that combo performed!

Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  10. olympic

Exactly my thoughts. Doing the 3-3 at Nats and falling, barring a meltdown, would probably still get her 2nd and make the team and she would still be gearing up to do them in competition.

11. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

That's what I'm thinking. She doesn't really need it at nationals to win. Clean performance = second title. Whatever points she misses on the combo will more than be made up for in PCS, especially if she skates cleanly. Skating smart is the way to do it at nationals.

I think 4CC is a good place to add it in. She's not risking as much by doing it there and that should be warm up enough for worlds...

12. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

New article on Hannah Miller, who has won 3 JGP silver medals this season, including at the Final in Sochi, and will make her Senior national debut in Omaha: http://www.goldenskate.com/2013/01/hannah-miller/
    Excerpts:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  13. kwanatic

^^Thanks for that.

I like Hannah. When she jumps she reminds me of Tara Lipinski for some reason...I think it's her air position. She does lack the harder content a lot of the other girls have and her jumps don't leave a big impression on the ice, but she's a little dyanmo when it comes to performing. Lost of energy, sass and pizazz! I'm never bored watching her. She was definitely an underdog going into the JGPF but she put out clean performances and was able to win silver. With a good performance at nationals this year she should make the top 10 and hopefully she'll earn a trip to junior worlds.

I still think Angela Wang is by far the best junior talent. She has excellent technique on her jumps, difficult combos, decent spins, and has an innate "ooze" quality about her skating, a la Lori Nichol. Her presentation and flow is lovely. Her biggest issue is getting through the SP cleanly. She delivers very strong LPs but she often flubs her combo in the SP which leaves her playing catch up to the rest of the field. But if Angela manages to hit all of her jumps in the SP at nationals, she'll definitely make that final group of skaters.

14. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

@USFigureSkating tweeted this quote from Gracie Gold's pre-Nationals media teleconference today: "My training has been going very well. I have made a few changes to my FS. I have been skating very well and I am excited"

@LynnRutherford tweeted:
    "USFS teleconf: Gracie Gold has changed 3flip-3Sal sequence in FS to 2Axel-3toe; final jump is now 3Sal."

15. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

I'm sad to see the 3F+1L+3S combo go, because it was beautiful when she hit it (like at Skate Detroit), but the 2A+3T combo is a much safer bet.

16. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

So she's repeating lutz and toe now?

17. olympic

^So, Gracie will be a little less ambitious (but still challenging)

18. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

That seems to be the plan, yes. Gold's FS at Junior Worlds opened with 3Lz+3T and 2A+3T and ended with 3S.

19. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

I think (points-wise) the difference will be slim as this allows the 3sal to occur in the bonus, she can now do another 2loop or 2toe in a three-jump-combo, and her flip sometimes receives an edge call. Seems very wise to me.

20. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Re: Gold

Great - that's what I was saying in the other thread. A little less ambitious, but still tough and high scoring potential.

21. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

The sense I got from Ashley was that she hadn't made up her mind one way or another regarding the 3-3 in the SP. My guess is she will try it in the practices at Nationals and if it is consistent there, she will go for it in the SP, but if it's not consistent in the practice, she won't risk trying it in the SP. Seems like a smart strategy. She'll have to see how she feels and moves on the ice at Nationals, then her success or lack thereof on the combo in practice will determine if its worth the risk of trying it in the SP where the pressure and expectations will be higher.

22. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

23. kwanatic

^^Good to know she's working at it. Her SP in COR was a vast improvement over SC but her LP was almost the same as SC. She's prone to popping and doubling jumps when she gets nervous so hopefully she'll keep her composure and complete the jumps.

24. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

25. olympic

According to the article, it looks like Gracie will go for a Rippon Lutz in the SP again .... That will give her a couple more points if executed cleanly

26. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  27. olympic

On the plus side, glad to hear that 1) the hip pointer is behind her and 2) Mills had Wagner back out on the ice post injury locking down the 3l -2x seq. to avoid any psychological barrier that might have taken hold about that sequence.

It sounds like they are waffling on the 3-3 and 2x-3t, though. Perhaps that is in re Nationals only?

28. kwanatic

^^ More than likely. I think we're all in agreement that Ashley is the favorite to win and that if she can replicate her performances from TEB (or even SA for that matter) she will win here without a fuss. In light of that, the smart thing to do is to keep everything as is.

A clean performance will score her through the roof at nationals w/o a 3-3. The judges/officials desperately want Ashley to win b/c she's the first skater in years who has the proper combination of drive, talent and consistency to reach the world podium. They want to send her to worlds as the 2-time US champ. That's a luxury for Ashley at this point b/c it means as long as she has two decent skates, she'll win. She doesn't need to push the envelope with 3-3s or even a 2-3 at this point.

I don't usually agree with pre-selecting medalist but in this situation if Ashley skates well, she will get the title regardless of what Gracie, Mirai or anyone else does. Her technical content may not be as impressive as Gracie's (potential) technical content but she's got her beat pretty much everywhere else...

29. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Any news on Mirai or Caroline lately? When are their conferences?

30. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

I doubt Zhang will get a conference. Wasn't she not even included in the program last year in San Jose?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.