U.S. Ladies [#6]: "Swaggering with the S'Wagner" et al. into 2013

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

If Alissa competes nationally or internationally this season, does she hurt her chances for getting GPs in the '13-'14 season?

I'm thinking that competing this season might jeopardize her chances to be a "returning skater" next season. Maybe that's not an issue...not sure I understand the rule.

If she competes this season, won't her GP entries for next year be determined by her '12-'13 season high score?

2. icellist

icellist Member

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Thanks for posting this video story on Nagasu! This was filmed before she left for Cup of China. Love the skating footage of a young Mirai! Includes insightful comments by her coaches, Wendy Olson and Amy Evidente. Her friend, ice dancer Roxette Howe, is interviewed as well. It also shows her training at Pickwick, getting/breaking in new skates, and her off-ice training regimen.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  4. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I just pray that we don't have a meltdown from all the top girls and Alissa finishes in the top 2. Not a nice thing to say but i don 't any faith in Alissa at this point.

5. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

Well that was a nice little piece on Mirai. Sounds like her coaches echo all the armchair coach here too. lol

6. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

7. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Don't forget Gao! She has good technique, speed, all the triples, and is capable of two 3-3s. She's also shown a lot more consistency, elegance, and grace this season. So that's 5 girls that are very strong competition for Alissa right there, and that's not counting others like Wang, Miller, Zhang, Keiser, Cain, etc. plus strong juniors that could be in the mix next season like Edmunds and Long.

8. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

I'm starting to hope Alissa pisses on everyone's corn flakes and wins US Nationals!!!! :p

9. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I do think if Alissa can remain on her feet in the SP, she should be in the final group of 6 and a podium threat. However, I think her greatest danger will be the LP, not only due to her history of not holding it together, but her lack of competing this year will probably effect her fortitude in competition.

But, I think of the juniors you mention, Wang and Miller are the only ones that could pass Alissa if she has an error or 2. Zhang is looking pretty bad thus far. But all bets are off if Alissa really falls apart which is within the realm of possibility

10. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

I hope that Gao really comes through at USN, now that finals are over and she can devote the next month to training. I've been so impressed with her this season. In a way, Alissa has been spoiled. Considering her lack of ice coverage, her overall unsureness and tentativeness, and poor jumps (whether landed or not), she really developed a reputation so that if she's clean she'll get huge marks, which I think are unjustified. Don't get me wrong, she's a lovely skater with the best spins, but she doesn't skate like a champion IMO. She gets huge marks at USN, and I hope the judges finally wake up. We've been hearing for almost eight years how she's changed her technique, yet except for the every Haley's Comet clean skate, she's falling 3 to 5 times per program. Please let's not get her even near the podium, maybe 6th so she can be on the national team. But for the love of all things holy and unholy, please let's not put her on the World team this year even if everyone else bombs.

11. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting the video about Mirai. She seems to be in a good coaching situation and is working hard. I'm rooting for her!

12. AJ Skatefan

I don't know what you're talking about. Alissa has great ice coverage, something I noticed the last couple of times I saw her live. Yes, she's tentative, and yes, she has trouble with her jumps, but she has great ice coverage.

13. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Like I said before, if the other skaters (mainly Wagner, Nagasu, Zawadzki, Gao) skate like they should we shouldn't have to "worry" about Czisny being good enough for the world team.

Odds are we'll probably get 2 out of 4 to hit, which would still be enough to make it difficult for Czisny if she is not on her A-game. The real ??? that has to be answered is Czisny's condition. Is she ready to compete? And even if she is, can she hold it together here- especially considering that it's her first competition? And I'm not talking so much about the SP (don't be surprised to see her in the final group for the FS, or even top 2 or 3), but the longer FS.

14. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

I'll admit I haven't seen her skate since maybe 2009/2010, but she was severely lacking in speed, sureness and ice coverage. It was easy to overlook because she is gorgeous, cuts a pretty princess picture on the ice, and has those great spins. But ice coverage is not her strong point. I was never a fan of Flatt, but even she skated with more speed and sureness, which should say something. Eeek. Compared to say a Wagner or Nagasu, Alissa is just not even close. If I had my druthers, the World team would be Wagner/Nagasu, though I've never seen Gracie Gold skate live. Who knows if Gracie's a powerhouse that comes across in an arena. But Wagner and Nagasu do. They skate like champions (usually... poor Mirai, so much talent, so much disappointment...). I stand by my statement that Czisny has less than exemplary ice coverage, she's slow, tentative, and stalks EVERYTHING. YMMV.

15. jlai

jlai Title-less

I'm no big Alissa fan, but her 2011 us nationals long program is a total winner in my book. No tentativeness there at all. If she skates like that, let her win, and I say this as a non-fan.
    But the issue is really that she hasn't competed at all this year, and nationals being her first comp.

16. AJ Skatefan

This. When she skates like that, I'm all about Alissa.

17. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Wang is not a junior. She skated senior last nationals.

18. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I saw the Mirai video when she posted it on her FB page. Very interesting indeed imo. Her triple lutz at the start looked good I thought-and she seems to have a good mind-set going into Nationals. I like her coaches and I hope they get her back where she belongs-at Worlds fighting for medals and on to the Olympics!

19. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Probably one of the best performances of her career. The ONE time she actually delivered when it was all on the line...

Still though, if Czisny plans on Sochi, she's best off pacing herself so that the roller-coaster heads up and reaches its peak next year, not this season. Then again, maybe she's already hit her highest peak.

I don't really know whether it is a good idea to count her out next month. It is very unlikely (world team), but we've seen her do unexpected things before...

20. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

I would be very, very surprised if Alissa makes the podium. Her jumps weren't even "there" before her injury.

Still, I could see a 4 triple Alissa beating a 4 triple Caroline Zhang.

I hope Caroline shows up to Nationals well-trained like she was last year. Her SP was a delight. Her FS this season is a total snoozefest and I doubt she'll go back to her cello program for a third season.

I don't know but I have a feeling Agnes might end up higher than people think.

21. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Only if she can get herself together in the free skate...

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  22. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

Last year her LP only managed 7th place, but she still walked away with a medal, yeah this year's field seems to be deeper than last years, but Agnes can deliver a pretty good SP, at this point I could easily see her in 3rd or 6th.

23. worldsnice12

worldsnice12 Member

24. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

25. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

I'm really hoping Agnes isn't held up again this year like last year. I have no clue what the U.S. Nationals judges are thinking. I really wonder sometimes if they even watch figure skating. They hold up all the wrong skaters. Agnes can't hold it together in the LP in a Nationals Championships, let alone a GP, so I really hope that she doesn't get anywhere near the top 2. Imgaine what would happen to her in a pressure packed worlds. :scream:

26. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Huh? Her short program last year at nationals clearly deserved first place! Who was better?

If anyone was "held up" it was Czisny, but don't get me started!

27. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

^I think between Ashley, Mirai and Gracie at Nationals, odds are 2 of the 3 will deliver at least enough to be on the team. Agnes will only be on the team if she shows she can skate an LP well executed w/ attack and confidence which is how it should be.

28. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Gracie is due to skate a clean LP and if she does i don't see her lower then 2nd unless she totally bombs her SP.

29. RD

RD Well-Known Member

I'll bet she'd do better than 22nd at least. :p

FunnyBut and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Do either of you have the required Adobe Flash plug-in installed? ETA: Are you both outside the U.S.?

I guess Ashley Wagner has really made it if the Daily Mail in the U.K. has given her a photo spread based on her recent Pandora jewelry press release! ;)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...e-style-ambassador-jewelry-giant-Pandora.html
    Reader comment at bottom:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.