U.S. Ladies [#5]: All That Glitters Is Not Gold

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vagabond, Aug 24, 2012.

1. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

^ Her spins have gotten slower ever since she's gone to Nicks. Priscilla was better in that department for her IMO.
  2. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

3. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

4. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

5. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Of course they want to do well, but Gracie's legitimately taking the criticisms of and weaknesses in her skating and tackling them head-on. That's not always so common.
  6. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

In another thread, it's noted that Miki Ando is out of the GP! :(

Any hope that Mirai, finally, will be considered for another GP slot, based on her Finlandia performances
  7. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

8. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

:yikes:

Now that was a mule kick. :scream:
  9. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  10. MysticHaze

MysticHaze Member

Oh gosh the mule kick is back in full force :(
  11. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I think the lutz's mule kick has been the same for the past few seasons. It's just seeing it from a different angle in the video linked by love_skate2011 that make it seems much worse. Well, it is bad, but it's the same kick she has been doing.
  12. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

As of last season, Caroline had only eliminated the high kick from her 3F, not her 3Lz. I assume that jump is still a work in progress.
  13. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Me too. The flip is much better, so is the axel.
  14. olympic

That performance was :yikes:

But hopefully, it will 'happen' later in the season. She's a fighter! It looks like Team Zhang is putting in a 3sal, but wonder if it will go the way of Alissa's ...
  15. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

That attempt at the 3sal was weird; It had no height at all when she went into the air. It'll be interesting to see if she can pull at least one clean 3sal this season.

Overall I don't think Zhang has improved at all since last season. Her skating still look painfully slow and the choice of music doesn't do anything to help lighten it up. Even if she hits all the jumps, the program will still be very ZZZ.
  16. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

There isn't really any choreography to speak of. She just strokes around with her head and eyes looking down at the ice. :(
  17. worldsnice12

worldsnice12 New Member

It is just that the whole program felt very empty at this point...I am not so sure it would feel more interesting even if the jumps were there :(

However, I did not think she was painfully slow and had rather good speed (for her standards) into her jumps. She just did not look very motivated out there and I hope she will have a few good weeks of practice before her first GP.
  18. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Up til 2010, the sal was her best jump, technique wise.
  19. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

Caroline looked soooo slow. I mean I know she is faster than she used to be but still...

I hope she improves a lot. her spins were not even that great. They looked slow too.
  20. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

I know that Caroline isn't an early season skater, but I can't help but wonder if the back problems That Oppegard said she was experiencing is taking a bigger toll on her skating than expected... Hopefully it was just an off competition for Caroline though.
  21. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

From what I saw from Ashley in Japan, versus Mirai in Finland, Ashley doesn't need anyone to make the road to the GPF easier. She'll EARN it with what she has now. (Just stay healthy and injury free!)
  22. Miriam246

Miriam246 New Member

Any Alissa news? I hope she's doing well....
  23. Sylvia

Sarah and Drew's "Inside Edge" blog today has a quote from Ashley Wagner about her new FS dress and a chat with Gracie Gold ahead of her Grand Prix debut at Skate Canada: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121011&content_id=39708078&vkey=ice_news
    ETA that Samantha Cesario tweeted from the JGP in Chemnitz, Germany after her 10th place SP earlier today:
    "Rough skate today. Hoping my hamstring feels better in the morning. :( #worldsunluckiest"
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  24. smarts1

Cesario is dealing with another injury? I feel like she's dealt with an injury every season since she's turned senior...
  25. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

Another injury for Samantha? Oi... :(
  26. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I knew something was up when she placed 10th. But yay for Leah's 2nd in SP!
  27. smarts1

:( Samantha withdrew from her second JGP. Guess she'll never make a JGPF (since this is her last eligible season right?)
  28. olympic

^Wow. I'm beginning to think that Samantha has a body that doesn't agree with skating. She's always getting injured! :(

What was the nature of her last two major injuries? Was it hamstring related?
  29. Sylvia

Yes, Samantha Cesario turned 19 in August so this is her last season of ISU Junior eligibility.

A back injury forced Cesario to WD from 2011 Nationals and right before 2012 Nationals "she tore her left lateral collateral [knee] ligament (LCL) and was off the ice for six to eight weeks," according to this July 2012 Liberty article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120720&content_id=35259728&vkey=ice_news

This is what Cesario tweeted about her WD today:
    Her next competition will be Eastern Sectionals, Nov. 8-12, to qualify for Nationals.

ETA @USFigureSkating's tweet this morning:
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  30. olympic

OK, so Team Cesario is being super-cautious. Maybe this will preserve her for Nationals
  31. smarts1

^ Considering she's missed Nationals 2 seasons in a row, I could think that she and her team would be careful.
  32. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

How did I miss Courtney Hicks withdrawing from Regionals?!
  33. Sylvia

Hicks has a bye through SWP Regionals to Pacific Coast Sectionals due to having had 2 JGP assignments. She's listed as WD in the SWP Senior Ladies SP starting order, I assume, because it was a late bye (just like Jay Yostanto was listed as WD in North Atlantic Junior Men last week and Shotaro Omori in SWP Junior Men this week).
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  34. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

35. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Thanks. Phew! I got super-nervous.
  36. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'm very hopeful for Mirai this season. Sigh, still with the lutz edge calls but oh well at least she went for the jump. I hope she has some great skates at COC and at Nationals-and that she makes the World team.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  37. n*ice mom

n*ice mom New Member

Katerina Kulgeyko withdrew from Senior Ladies. Any news?
  38. Sylvia

I don't know why Katarina Kulgeyko withdrew from SWP Regionals, but she had a tough outing in her Golden West SP (scored under 40) in early Sept. and withdrew from the FS. She was included in USFS' International Selection Pool (she had solid 5th place showing in her 1 JGP last year, was 9th in Junior at 2012 Nationals), but was never listed as a JGP alternate this season.

I can re-post a summary (from Kiss and Cry) of notable ladies in Regionals action from yesterday here soon.
  39. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Re: Cesario, if she just turned 19, isn't her ISU age 18 and doesn't she have one more season of junior eligibility?
  40. Sylvia

Cesario will be 19 as of July 1, 2013, which means she will age out of ISU Junior in 2013-14.

ETA that I don't think ioana will mind if I re-post her "live" play-by-play comment about Yasmin Siraj's "Seven Years in Tibet" FS at New England Regionals from Kiss and Cry just now (she scored 101.85, her highest FS score of the season so far):