U.S. Ladies [#5]: All That Glitters Is Not Gold

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vagabond, Aug 24, 2012.

1. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

That was her only JGP this season.

2. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Yes, but the domestic judges also don't ding her for her obvious flutz and her PCS are quite a bit higher compared to the JGP. This combined with her tendency to make mistakes at internationals explains why her scores don't match up.

Also guess we don't need to consider Jiang and Zhao into the JW discussion as neither made it to Nationals :( too bad.

3. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. I had the same impression of her skating when I saw her last year at Nationals. I also have a soft spot in my heart for her because she is a tall skater (5'7"). There was a very opinionated woman sitting next to me who supposedly has entre into most of the skating rinks in the greater LA area. She made disparaging remarks about Haley, her height and her size and was totally unsupportive. I who am over six feet tall just glared at her and at the end of Haley's performance, gave her a standing ovation because I thought that she had done a great job and should be appropriately recognized

4. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

I thought Laney Diggs retired...

5. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Nina Jiang is my biggest sad. She has so much raw talent and is such a pleasure to watch when she is on. Well, I hope she can put this season behind her and focus on her future. She has a lot to offer the skating world!

6. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Agreed. I've been watching her for the past few years and it breaks my heart she can't get those jumps consistent. Her SP from nationals last season was one of my favorites.

7. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what happened to Nina this season? She just seemed so off all season at competitions.

8. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Well, she got the harder triples last season, but they've never been that consistent. My guess is probably puberty/growing pains. Last season she did well but for a couple seasons before that she was skating more like the way she has been this season. She looked quite tall in the videos from JGP Turkey, certainly taller than the 5'2" listed as her height on icenetwork, so if she grew a couple inches and filled out a bit since last season, it's not that surprising she's struggling with the harder triples, considering she only really started trying and landing them in competitions last year. It's easy to forget how young she is. Gracie was the same age when she didn't make it out of Mids as a junior and posted similar scores, and then improved hugely the next season. It seems like every season, someone good gets left home after sectionals, and a lot of the time, they come back the next season much improved. I hope Nina does not quit.

9. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

At least both Cesario and Baga made Nationals! :cheer:

10. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Vanessa Lam skated very well at the Hidden Valley Open club competition in early July (video of her FS was posted here and many people commented favorably on her improvements), and not quite as well at the Glacier Falls Summer Classic in early August before her JGP in France. Then she had pretty good performances at SWP Regionals in October before her excellent showing at Pacific Coasts, landing her 6 planned triples in her FS (though she did get an edge call on her second 3Lz).

It was mentioned in the U.S. Sectionals thread in Kiss and Cry that Diggs is currently in her Junior year at the University of California-Berkeley and doesn't train full-time, so her 5th place finish at Pacific Coasts is a commendable result for her.

From what I hear, Nina Jiang plans to be back competing next year and I believe this season's setback will not deter her from trying to attain her skating goals.

Alissa Czisny has withdrawn from NHK Trophy - link to USFS' press release today: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48647&type=media
    ETA tweets by Phil Hersh (‏@olyphil) today:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  11. TheGirlCanSkate

Alissa? That is irritating. She pulls out of 2 events (NHK and a show) just beforehand, a replacement can't be sent and then is looking for another comp? Not a fan at all.

12. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

NHK is ten days away. I would think that a replacement is still possible. They don't have to take a sail boat to Japan. There are airplanes.

AndyWarhol and (deleted member) like this.
  13. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

Agreed. At least she didn't wait until next Wednesday to withdraw. There is plenty of time for a replacement to be selected.

14. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

There are visa requirements that are not always easy to meet in a couple days. I don't know what they are now, but 20 years ago, a guy living in VT, USA, had to travel to Boston to get a visa for Japan, and the hours at the place you had to go were not very accommodating.

15. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

The spot wouldn't necessarily be given to an American skater. As for visas, my friend's visa for Asia 14 years ago were handled via FedEx and did not require travel.

The alternates thread in GSD indicates Osmond would have first chance followed on the list by skaters who already got another spot (such as Nagasu) or can't take one now (Flatt) until it gets down to some Russian girls. Who would be dealing with different visa requirements.

16. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

17. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I didn't realize Wang was coached by Christy Krall. Good coach...

I hope all three of the American ladies do well at the JGPF and at nationals. There's a lot of talent in the junior ranks right now...

18. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

19. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Is it me or does Angela Wang look a lot like Caroline Zhang but with more speed and skating skills?

20. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

It's you ('cause all those Asians look alike :p).

21. mag

mag Well-Known Member

But it is too bad it is not 14 days out so that a replacement is required. Osmond is a definite possibility because Canadians don't require a visa to visit Japan.

22. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Polina is injured-I wish for her a speedy recovery! As for Mirai-Woo hoo! I hoped she would get a second assignment-this is an unfortunate way to get it but at least now she'll have another GP under her belt before Nationals!

23. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Sounds like it! Do all three American JGPF ladies have triple-triples? I know Angela Wang does.

24. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Hannah Miller has not attempted a 3-3 in competition so far this season AFAIK - her coach (and aunt) was quoted in an IN article at Skate Detroit in July as follows:
    Leah Keiser has received credit for landing 3Lz+3T in domestic competitions and 3Lz+3T< in 3 out of her 4 attempts (SP & FS) on the JGP this fall.

25. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

My goodness! Aren't you a little ray of sunshine?!

Unlike certain skaters, who shall go nameless, she isn't withdrawing at the last minute or showing up to a Grand Prix unable to skate anywhere near her best. And she she isn't looking for an international competition before Nationals; she says she'd be quite happy to go to a local one. She isn't going to be taking a spot away from anyone.

By the way, folks, not everyone needs a visa for a short visit to Japan. Citizens of the U.S. and Canada, for example, don't.

26. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Maybe Czisny will do Golden Spin in December? I think that gives her close to a month to feel more fit (I honestly don't know the dates)?

27. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

Golden Spin is December 13-16, so three weeks after NHK. Entries are due in tomorrow.

28. lakewood

lakewood Active Member

That is the visitor's visa you are talking about. AFAIK, athlets are required of different visa for competition.

29. TheGirlCanSkate

She should have pulled out when she pulled out of the show. She needs to give herself time to heal. Pain/injury the rest of her life isn't worth skating this season.

30. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!