U.S. Ladies [#5]: All That Glitters Is Not Gold

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vagabond, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

No hand-wringing from me! ;) This is a valuable learning experience for Gold. There's still the FS tomorrow.

2. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

The SP at Skate Canada was "interesting" to say the least. The long will probably separate them though. Ksenia and Murakami will probably have horrible longs. I doubt Osmond will stand up to the pressure and I don't Elene will either.

I'm have to say though, I'm not much of a fan of Akiko's programs this year... Her SP is really strange.

3. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Re: Gracie, Everyone should know not to put all their eggs in one basket.

4. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I think they are all being put in the Ashley basket until Sochi. That is good for Gracie, she has a couple more years to develop and get used to the pressure of Senior competition in Ashley's shadow, then post Sochi she will be ready.

5. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Well-Known Member

I don't recall there being anything else that US Figure Skating on the jacket, maybe I am wrong.

6. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

No hand wringing here, either. Gracie is a great free skater; I think she'll come out fighting tomorrow. :) With two large mistakes, she's still only less than 6.5 points behind Makarova who's in 3rd...

7. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I thought they were supposed to wear the jackets so that USFS could *attempt* to sell advertising on the jackets in the future, like the Japanese skaters with the sponsor patches on the jackets. If sponsors think that they won't get any exposure on the jackets, USFS will have a harder pitch.

8. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I don't have scores in front of me, but Rachael might have needed some luck to make it out of regionals this year, lol.

You mention that you base your decisions on your children's effort and dedication, which I happen to think is great. But I think the point many are trying to make is that she doesn't seem dedicated to skating. We keep hearing a lot about how it doesn't fit into her life these days. That coupled with the declining results and declining performance level. Why can't people complain about this? Are we supposed to celebrate someone's part time quasi dedication to a sport?

OTOH, she should skate as long as she wants to and retire when SHE wants to. But she shouldn't expect everyone's reaction to be sunshine, roses and praise.

9. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I didn't say people shouldn't complain. It is certainly not up to me to decide what people post about :)
    I said I found it "interesting."

10. jlai

jlai Title-less

Southwestern regional happened during the Skate America weekend, right? Rachael's SA score would have put her second in that competition. 4th place at Southwestern got an 87.74.

11. smarts1

:( for Caroline and Gracie. How bad is Caroline's back injury?

12. chipso1

After Skate Canada. Zhang improves on her Nebelhorn Trophy score by about 25 points, and Gold is about 20 points lower than her U.S. Classic score.

2012-13 U.S. Ladies -- Top International Scores

1. Ashley WAGNER (188.37), Skate America
    2. Christina GAO (174.25), Skate America
    3. Agnes ZAWADZKI (172.95), U.S. Classic
    4. Gracie GOLD (171.15), U.S. Classic
    5. Mirai NAGASU (163.09), Finlandia Trophy
    6. Angela WANG (162.65), JGP Zagreb

7. Hannah MILLER (158.52), JGP Linz
    8. Samantha CESARIO (157.72), JGP Linz
    9. Leah KEISER (156.33), JGP Istanbul
    10. Courtney HICKS (153.77), JGP Lake Placid
    11. Caroline ZHANG (149.87), Skate Canada
    12. Barbie LONG (147.19), JGP Bled

13. Kiri BAGA (142.22), JGP Lake Placid
    14. Vanessa LAM (140.89), JGP Courchevel
    15. Ashley CAIN (136.51), JGP Courchevel
    16. Rachael FLATT (136.09), Skate America
    17. Nina JIANG (115.48), JGP Istanbul

Japan Open (free skate only) scores: Ashley WAGNER (123.57); Agnes ZAWADZKI (89.95)

Upcoming assignments:
    • Cup of China (Mirai NAGASU)
    • Ice Challenge (Rachael FLATT)
    • Rostelecom Cup (Gracie GOLD, Agnes ZAWADZKI, Caroline ZHANG)
    • Trophee Eric Bompard (Christina GAO, Ashley WAGNER)
    • NHK Trophy (Alissa CZISNY, Agnes ZAWADZKI)
    • JGP Final (Leah KEISER, Hannah MILLER, Angela WANG)

13. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Time to kick Gracie to the curb. "Loser" with a capital L tattooed on your forehead. Step up to the plate, Hannah Miller. You must save US Ladies figure skating en route to ruling the known universe. You can totally do it. No pressure, mind you. :p

14. jlai

jlai Title-less

:p

Seriously, there wasn't that much hype over Gold. But there was a Gold reference as a joke or snark just about every third or fouth thread over the summer. So, Gracie, stop reading news or posts about yourself. ;)

15. chipso1

:lol:

I'M not ready to give up on Gracie quite yet. ;) She's a great skater, even if her first SGP event didn't go quite how she planned.

16. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Seriously this time: I think Gold did okay at SC, especially when you compare her results with those of Sr. GP veterans like Zhang and Flatt. 151 and change isn't bad for a Sr. GP debut, esecially one with major errors in both programs. So she didn't live up to the hype, so what? Hopefully she'll learn from that and build on it. And I think she will.

17. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Again, re Gold: this is the danger of hyping someone to the heavens. When they don't blow the roof off, it's like a disappointment, then folks get angry and give up before it even gets started. Careful, folks. Remember how long it took Czisny & Wagner to begin contending.

No, she didn't get me excited (and frankly, wouldn't have even if she skated like Gao at SA), but I'm willing to give her some more time. It works the other way as well - one mediocre competition does not necessarily mean trouble. And it's early in the season, too.

18. chipso1

That's the thing, though. The majority of people that have been hyping Gracie here have been trolls or posters just looking to be obnoxious. The VAST majority of level-headed fans have been quite realistic about her skating, development and results thus far.

19. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

I think this was just a fluke from Gracie, if i'm correct she only lost here
    she'll be better at her next GP even win if she clean up her FS

20. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Don't understand why you feel the need to continue to over-hype her, love_skate2011. Just let Gracie develop at her own pace.

Quotes from Gracie and Caroline after the FS (IceNetwork article):

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  21. RD

RD Well-Known Member

^ Well, at least she is being honest about the issue.

Again, though- the stage is only going to get bigger so she needs to get used to it - fast!

22. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Funny to see so many excuses being made for Gracie, yet so quick to attack Flatt!

23. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Why must you always be the voice of reason, Sylvia? :drama: We want a superstar and we want her NOW, damn it!

24. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

This was a weird ladies comp. If anyone told me that Elene G would lead after the SP and Kaetlyn Osmond would walk off with the title, I'd say, "cool if it happened, but I doubt it will." I really expected a gold from Akiko.

25. chipso1

And once again, I would take the opinions of those trashing Flatt with a grain of salt.

Yet you seem to find a way to take another jab at Gracie. :blah:

26. smarts1

It was really a fluke for Osmond. Will she really receive those types of PCS elsewhere? Osmond is fine, but honestly giving her those PCS after being a completely unknown skater until Nebelhorn is :confused: to me.

27. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I thought Kaetlyn was excellent in the sp at SC, showing a lot of verve and confidence, but her youth showed in the fp and she was over-scored. Sad for Elene (if only she had been able to calm her nerves, use them effectively) -- Elene has two great programs, but she needs to learn how to skate under pressure. I didn't like Akiko's sp, but I really enjoy her new fp.

To put it mildly, with what Ashley Wagner showed at SA, if she stays strong and confident and adds a bit more difficulty in her jumps as the season progresses, she beats all the ladies we've seen so far at the two GPs this season. Ashley confidently performed programs at SA with substance, maturity and depth, plus she overcame her nerves in the fp to skate cleanly.

On another note: Manleywoman must be pulling her hair out with all these Carmen renditions, OMG! Two in ice dance is enuf. Didn't need to hear it again in the ladies event. I don't think that Carmen really works that well for Kaetlyn at this stage -- not the best choice for her, but she sure has talent.

A good experience for Gracie, and give her time to mature and gain more experience in the spotlight.

28. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Honestly, I doubt Ashley needs to add any jump difficulty considering the scores she's getting right now without 3-3s. :shuffle:

29. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ Ya think? :) I think Ashley will be upping the ante with her jumps as the season progresses.

Okay, just a bit of homecookin' at SA for Ashley in the sp, but jeez U.S. skaters do not have a strong politiking fed, and really have to skate clean as a whistle all the time if they hope to do well internationally, IMHO. As far as homecookin', it was really :smokin: up North at SC in the ladies event and in the ice dance sd. ;)

Ashley's got great programs, music, costumes. She's the complete package and I think she's very competitive with all the top-rated ladies internationally.

30. chipso1

For those with Ice Network, the Senior Ladies FS from UGL Regionals is now up. A bit of a struggle for Kiri Baga, but a great personal best program for Carly Gold! :)