U.S. Ladies [#5]: All That Glitters Is Not Gold

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vagabond, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

There are no Nebelhorn videos from the Ladies SP at this time on YouTube (that I can find).
    ETA: The event just happened earlier today so I wouldn't expect to find any yet (only 5 Short Dance, 2 Pairs SP and 2 Men's SP videos have been uploaded from yesterday so far).

Caroline Zhang is not known for being an early season skater so I wouldn't worry too much about how she fares at Nebelhorn.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  2. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

Up till now there are tons of SD and Men videos but no ladies. but I guess they will appear in a day or two.

3. toddlj

toddlj The sort of fan who gets up at 3am to watch

Hopefully she can pull up in the FS and get some standings points out of this event. Go Caroline! :kickass:

4. query5

query5 New Member

how can she when the USFSA wont cheat for her and overlook her mistakes like agnes, gracies at us figure skating classic as well as courtney, alissa, mirai, leah, rachel,

she needs help from the usfsa not punishing and bashing. they didn't give her a break so why should they public give the above mention skates one. when they don't skate well and shouldn't be marked above 100 in free

5. Sylvia

6. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Yes, Gracie doubled a triple-triple combo in the short and ended up in 2nd place, with way too many points for a skate like that at US Classic. Gracie's and Agnes' freeskates were very sloppy and also garnered ridiculous points for those performances.

7. onedge

onedge New Member

Why so bitter, demetriosi? Seems pretty personal. Disgruntled coach? Jealous parent?

8. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

But that was an international panel. It's not like USFS judges were holding either Agnes or Gracie up at US Classic.

9. demetriosj

don't know why you construe my comments as "bitter". Just stating the facts. don't think anything I'm saying is false.

if anything, you seem to be taking things personally...

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  10. krenseby

krenseby New Member

Actually, Agnes's free skate at US Classic was an improvement on her free skate at Nationals. I felt that the competition was quite a positive experience for Agnes overall.

11. Sylvia

Thanks for saying something positive! :) I'm glad Agnes Zawadzki has a chance to compete her FS again at Japan Open next week, along with Ashley Wagner.

12. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

After Nebelhorn & JGP Bled...

2012-13 U.S. Ladies -- Top International Scores

1. Agnes ZAWADZKI (172.95), U.S. Classic
    2. Gracie GOLD (171.15), U.S. Classic
    3. Hannah MILLER (158.52), JGP Linz
    4. Samantha CESARIO (157.72), JGP Linz
    5. Leah KEISER (156.33), JGP Istanbul
    6. Courtney HICKS (153.77), JGP Lake Placid

7. Angela WANG (150.40), JGP Lake Placid
    8. Barbie LONG (147.19), JGP Bled
    9. Kiri BAGA (142.22), JGP Lake Placid
    10. Vanessa LAM (140.89), JGP Courchevel
    11. Ashley CAIN (136.51), JGP Courchevel
    12. Caroline ZHANG (124.13), Nebelhorn Trophy

13. Nina JIANG (115.48), JGP Istanbul

Upcoming assignments:
    • JGP Zagreb (Hannah MILLER, Angela WANG)
    • Finlandia Trophy (Mirai NAGASU)
    • JGP Chemnitz (Samantha CESARIO, Leah KEISER)
    • Skate America (Rachael FLATT, Christina GAO, Ashley WAGNER)

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  13. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Edit- The Japan Open will just be the LP, correct? Interesting to see what Ashley will do and happy that Agnes gets another shot at tweaking it ...

14. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Yes, I won't be including Japan Open on this list since it will be free skate-only.

15. demetriosj

I am also glad that Agnes is improving this season.

16. icellist

icellist Member

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  17. os168

os168 Active Member

These 2 are :lol::lol::lol:

There should be a Mirai and a Caroline reality show on IceNetwork with the the ups and downs of figure skating in USA with spectrum of guest stars, the Shibs, Abbot, Alissa, Adam, Weir, Lysachek, Kwan.. i sooo would subscribe :p

It would be interesting to see if they can impart any wisdom :)D) with upcoming young skaters like Gracie, Agnis, Karen Chen etc.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  18. krenseby

krenseby New Member

Oh my God, shame on Mirai. She has been slowly but surely corrupting Caroline by introducing her to all these tv shows and turning her away from reading! Mirai's quite a sassy gal! Fashion, haircuts, and a sense of humor to boot!

19. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

How fun! Reminds me of my nieces. All that teen speak and drama. They've decided I'm 'cool' because I can get their mom to a gutteral laugh in about five seconds. They always fight for phone time with me. Oh to be young again. The actuallys, likes, and ums. Priceless.

20. icellist

icellist Member

21. Sylvia

Both Gong and Kawamura have started college now, and so I assume training is not as much a priority for them as it once was (ETA that neither competed this summer AFAIK).

Other current/past JGP competitors and this year's alternates scheduled for upcoming Regionals this month include Vanessa Lam, Katarina Kulgeyko & Carolyn-Ann Alba (SWP), Kiri Baga (UGL), Ashley Cain and McKinzie Daniels (SW), Yasmin Siraj (NE), Lauren Dinh (NA), [ETA] plus Becky Bereswill (EGL) and Laney Diggs (CP) in Senior; Barbie Long (UGL), Mariah Bell (SW), and Polina Edmunds (CP) in Junior.

ETA that I've re-posted the above in the U.S. Regionals general discussion thread in Kiss and Cry: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=85016

ETA #2: I didn't mean to leave out 2011 Skate America competitor Joelle Forte (NA).

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  22. Sylvia

Great to see Angela Wang perform a clean, winning SP today in Zagreb, Croatia! :) She set a new ISU personal best SP score for herself by over 10 points (58.47), landing 3Lz+3T, 3F, 2A, plus L4 for all 3 spins.

Hannah Miller missed her 3Lo combo but landed 3F & 2A and skated the rest of her program with energy (L4 footwork again) - she's in 3rd (51.33) after the SP. Free skate is Saturday.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  23. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Wang could surprise some people at Nationals this year since there are questions about some of the top finishers from last year like Alissa and Caroline.

24. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

^ We'll have to see how she performs in the LP first. I'm hoping she doesn't crumble under the pressure of being in first after the SP, but I have a feeling she will... Angela and Hannah need to place no worse than second or third respectively to get to the JGPF.

25. change of edge

change of edge New Member

Angela Wang's stellar 31.40 base value SP is probably the highest that we'll see this season from both Juniors and Seniors, unless Mao Asada puts a 3A in her program.

26. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Angela isn't the first to achieve that base value this season ;) Technically, also, a lady with the same content and a level 4 step sequence to top it. ;)

Congrats to Angela. it was a wonderful SP :)

27. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Not to jinx anyone, but Angela doesn't strike me as the crumbling type. Granted she's never been in this position before, but her jumps are so fantastic, her speed is great, awesome layback spin, very nice footwork- I am so pleased to see her lay a short program down and get a score like that! Hannah and Angela both are tremendously talented and I can't wait to see how the rest of the season turns out for both of them.

28. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Let's not get too over-enthused about anyone just yet! I love Angela's skating (Hannah's, too) and I'd love to see them both do well, but sans pressure!

So I'd say that I'm looking forward to seeing what they do in the free skate and beyond, and I'll leave it at that for now. :)

29. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Congrats to Hannah and Angela for making the JGPF!

30. Sylvia

I've updated the U.S. Senior ladies' international scores table in my blog: http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/scoretracker/2012-2013-senior-ladies-scores/
    Angela Wang has the highest JGP total score so far (162.65 today in Croatia), but she scored higher in the FS in Lake Placid (105.69), landing 6 triples there vs. 5 triples today (popped her 3F). She has landed her 3Lz+3T+2T combo (base value of 11.40) in both of her JGP free skates this season.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012