U.S. Ladies [#4]: Gold or Pyrite?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vagabond, Apr 4, 2012.

1. skfan

skfan Member

thank you, gkelly :)

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Edmunds better get a JGP. :mad:

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Well, let's wait and see if Edmunds is even listed as a JGP alternate this coming week for #3 in Linz, Austria...

The currently known Sectional byes to 2013 Nationals for the U.S. ladies are the top 5 at 2012 Nationals - Wagner, Czisny, Zawadzki, Zhang, Gao - plus Nagasu (Cup of China) and Gold (Rostelecom Cup). ETA: If Nagasu and Gold end up competing at their respective Regionals in October, they must place in the top 4 and qualify for Sectionals in order to receive their bye to Nationals.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Well I guess you can make an argument against giving Edmunds an assigment because whilst she's had some incredible performances, she's also had bad ones. Her consistency hasn't been great.

But she seems to have loads of potential and her jump arsenal is very impressive.

So seeing somebody like Baga considered before her is just :rolleyes:.

5. skfan

skfan Member

thank you Sylvia for the known byes in the ladies field.

you mentioned senior ladies bye, but i'm assuming that also applies to junior ladies? novice ladies?

if say, barbie long, pewter medalist on the junior level at US nationals last year, decides NOT to move up to senior in 2012-2013 season, she has a bye to US nationals at the junior ladies level, right?

6. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

No, byes only apply to the top 5 finishers in the senior events at Nationals.

7. skfan

skfan Member

thank you. all this time i thought skaters only had to re-qualify because they moved up from novice to junior, etc :lol:

8. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

What! I love Baga :p

Either way I want some assignments for the unlucky but beautiful Cesario first.

9. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Yay!! Good for Angela!

10. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

She isn't.

Hannah Miller and Samantha Cesario are going. Lots of ladies on the substitute list but no Polina.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Baga has what? 3 triple jumps?

Edmunds is landing everything through to the lutz, including flip/toe (or was it lutz/toe?) combos.

12. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Baga has 4 - lutz, flip, sal and toe. :p

I haven't watched Edmunds skate - does she have Baga's musicality?

13. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

*Light Bulb* Let's discuss where Kiri would have more success - in pairs or singles. I think she could make it in Pairs and maybe should follow the path of MBM; give up singles (as it appears) and go for Pairs

14. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I think Kiri could potentially be a very good pairs skater. My gut is that, eventually, she will give up singles for pairs. However, Kiri did score well in her singles events at Skate Detroit. If she wants to keep doing both - more power to her!

15. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

She absolutely shines in singles! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UlHIUNxAn0

OK she will not be competitive but she is so lovely to watch. Rare to find such elegance and attention to detail in the younger US ladies these days.

OK - just watched her. The answer is no. But those jumps are promising once she cleans them up.

16. jlai

jlai Title-less

To me the issue isn't that Baga doesn't deaerve an assignment, but that skaters like her are totally ready to do sr intls but end up in jrs again for lack of good assignments.
    So jgps become the new Senior Bs for the USFS. And then the ones needing jgp experience end up with one or none.

Baga was lovely when she first did jgp, winning her very first one.

17. skfan

skfan Member

wouldn't that apply to cesario as well as baga?

then again, people are also unhappy that mirai only has one senior GP at the moment (while gao has two). you'd think with way more JGP spots than GP spots, fans would be more pleased with how the spots are distributed :lol:

18. jlai

jlai Title-less

I think Cesario is ready for sr gp, not that she necessarily would have gotten an invite

19. skfan

skfan Member

i agree with you. who else (beside baga and cesario) in the JGP pool might well be ready for a senior GP, in your opinion? lam? hicks? wang? miller? keiser? cain?

assuming senior GP's are actually available... we're talking readiness here :)

20. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Marco, I totally agree that Baga is lovely to watch and very musical but compared to other US skaters who have performed well in the Summer, she doesn't seem as promising. I think she could make a good pair skater, though.

Cesario is a much better jumper than Baga and has been doing very well at Summer competitions last season, this season and did a good job at both her JGP events too.

She can't do GP so getting selected for the JGP is her only chance of getting some ISU ranking points and personal bests (well unless she places top 2 at Nationals, of course ;)).

21. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I was watching B/T on Youtube in the SP at Indy Challenge and they look promising as a pair, especially when you consider how little time they've been together. Very musical! Since she has so much time under her belt as a top ranked singles skater, the individual pair elements (SBS jumps and spins) should come easier. Her nice extensions should eventually serve her well in the lifts, pairs spin and death spiral, too. She just needs to 'gel' with Toth.

22. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Doesn't she also have the loop? I remember seeing it in competition once...

23. RD

RD Well-Known Member

As for Baga, the first time I saw her skate was at this year's Nationals. Unfortunately I was not left with a very strong impression afterward (I thought she lacked reach and was quite forgettable). Then again, she is quite young so I'd give her time. I have not watched Cesario (she didn't compete last year?)

24. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

i have a question about alexe gilles: any news about her?

jeremy abbott tweeted: very last brunch with alexe gilles.
    so i am wondering, has she turned down working with yuka and jason. have they turned her down or did she just quit and moves on life?

would be nice, if someone has infos, and sorry, if it has been discussed earlier but 48 pages would be a lot to look through :D

25. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

She did two JGPs last year. You can watch HD quality videos of her performances at those on the ISU JGP YT channel.

Cesario - JGP Tallinn Cup SP
    Cesario - JGP Tallinn Cup FS
    Cesario - JGP Baltic Cup SP
    Cesario - JGP Baltic Cup FS

She missed Nationals because of injury (second year running :().

Change the settings and then it will be only 24 pages. ;)

26. skfan

skfan Member

eh, didn't i hear she was considering representing canada? she is not very likely (w/o massive improvements) to make US nationals out of the midwestern sectionals this year. after all, her mother is becoming a canadian citizen to help sister piper of piper gilles/paul poirier fame eligible to represent canada in the olympics. thing is, with osmond coming on strong i'm not sure canada has a very strong need for alexe.

shame. i liked alexe's skating a lot in the aschebrundel (sp) days...

27. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

I think it's a little difficult to tell how Kiri will perform on the JGP this season. She's been so injured so often the past 2+ years, and obviously that has affected and limited her training time.

Now that she's healthy and skating well (her SP at Skate Detroit was :swoon:), I think she might do better results-wise. Also, the 3F seems to be a very good jump for her these days, and it's the solo jump required in the junior SPs this season.

28. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

She could still be assigned to the next event. Josh Farris and Angela Wang both weren't listed as substitutes for JGP #1 but then both were assigned to JGP #2. I think odds are good Polina will get a JGP, I just think it will probably be later into the series, like Hannah last season. If USFS wants to be smart though, it won't be too late, maybe JGP #4 or #5 so that if she skates well and medals they can give her a 2nd assignment so she has a chance to qualify for the JGP. In past years, Gracie, Hannah, and Vanessa all did well at their first events and were set up nicely to qualify for the JGPF, but were assigned so late that none got a second event.

I think Barbie and Leah will likely be assigned to the next JGP, but after those 2, I'd have Polina next in line in terms of pecking order, IMO she deserves an assignment more than Mariah, Nina, Yasmin, and anyone else being considered that hasn't already been assigned. The only thing is that results for the 1st JGP (and maybe the 2nd?) will be in the books before the assignments for JGP 5 come out, so they could potentially be giving girls second JGPs already, meaning Polina could be not assigned at all or to the 6th or 7th event if girls are not placing well in their first events.

The only thing is that, there's a chance someone like Mariah or Polina even could be assigned before Leah because they competed at junior nationals vs senior. Polina has had a stronger summer season than Mariah, and Leah's been strong this summer too, but was 12th at Nationals, behind Nina Jiang who hasn't been skating very well this summer. So the order of those 4 I think really comes down to if they weight nationals or summer competition results more heavily.

Anyways, Polina is much younger than Kiri and is MUCH stronger technically. She's not the most consistent and maybe not as musical but Kiri is still doing 3t-2t as her SP combo and her 3f and 3lz have never been very consistent. Polina's made some mistakes this summer, sure, but how many times has she rattled off 3lz-3ts and 3f-3ts, as well as all the other triples, in her programs this summer? Countless times. Kiri couldn't score 114 for a FS even if she was clean, I'm quite certain, Polina already has.

29. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

AFAIK there is no confirmed news at this time... only that Alexe has registered to compete in the coming week at the Thornhill comp. in Canada representing Scarboro FSC (where her twin sister Piper trains with Paul Poirier).

30. skfan

skfan Member

when i watch skating as beautiful as this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPl3s55W2mY

i don't want kiri to give up singles entirely, even if she has a promising future in pairs. i will savor seeing kiri at JGP lake placid. :)

yes, polina can throw out those jumps like they're nothing. not all the time, no, but often. and she may yet develop into a riveting skater (i know for many, she already is). IIRC dick button used to say he wants skaters to cultivate jumps first and learn 'artistry' later, but for me, skaters like kiri keep me watching skating even though i hate what COP has done to layback spins, etc. without skaters like mariah and kiri, i wouldn't keep watching skating. not for all the jump combos and astronomical scores in the world.