U.S. Ladies [#4]: Gold or Pyrite?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vagabond, Apr 4, 2012.

1. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I like Ashley Cain a whole lot, and I hope she focuses on singles instead of searching for a partner.

2. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Yes, me too. I think Ashley shines all by herself. She proved she could complete the jumps in San Jose. All she needs now is consistency.

3. jlai

jlai Title-less

To continue the US ladies discussion in the "Czisny not to retire" Thread:

I think Siraj's edges are v. good and that allows her to do harder choreography. Too bad her jumps are rather small.

4. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Siraj should do pairs. Her 3t and 2a are very good but the rest of her jumps aren't so solid. Plus she's TINY, very flexible, incredibly musical, and has a great presence out on the ice. And she's good at spins and has nice lines. I think she could really shine at pairs, and no, I'm not just suggesting this because she's tiny and not the strongest jumper, there are a lot of aspects to her skating that would make her well suited for pairs, and she trains at SCOB which has produced some good pairs teams and has a good coaching staff for pairs. I'm sure she'd be a really desirable partner due to her size/weight and her skills as a skater, could find someone very quickly and easily.

5. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Based on the majority of the argument, I would think dance would make more sense, but I agree that she'd be a great pairs skater.

6. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

7. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

I know it will be called an early estimate, but according to the WTC standings, I am going with "Gold" rather than "Pyrite"

8. pinky166

She'd probably make a good ice dancer too, but there, her size would be a drawback, whereas in pairs, it would be an asset.

9. Sylvia

10. pinky166

So does Wesley Campbell, who is actually also from the Boston area. They could team up and become the 2nd coming of Castelli & Shnapir in terms of size difference, lol.

And yes, Yasmin is very accomplished off the ice. She's played a piano solo at Carnegie Hall.

11. os168

os168 Active Member

I remember being impressed by Yasmin Siraj at the Harvard Charity show. She stood out as a very expressive and musical skater, more sophisticated than many of her contemporary and probably seniors too. I actually thought she remind me of European skaters (Another Liza?)or Asian skaters more than American which was odd at the time.

Now reading this profile, it does make a heck alot of makes sense. I am surprised she is not more high profiled while everyone is going crazy over Agnes (which I don't get) and Gracie (which I sort of do).

12. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Yasmin is wonderful in many ways, but without big jumps, she's a bit limited in terms of international scoring potential.

I think if she competes well she'll score well, but I don't see her contending for a senior podium in the future unless she makes major changes, or the big guns of the day make mistakes.

13. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Somewhat agree. Yasmin hasn't quite had an exceptional result yet, à la Agnes and Gracie. But I love Yasmin and I'm sorry she hasn't had that exceptional result.

14. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Her jump technique just isn't strong enough to put her among the top ladies. She could be if they were stronger.

15. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

Siraj was also injured (or recovering from injury) at this year's nationals. I think a healthy Siraj would have had a very good shot at making the junior world team ahead of Vanessa Lam.

That being said, her jump technique does seem a bit wonky. I love her musicality, though, and hope she comes back strong this season.

16. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind seeing Siraj's "Daphnis et Chloe" short program for another season. It was lovely and I'd like to see her skate it clean.

17. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Good looks, great name, solid 3/3 (buzz and some indefinable magical potential???) seem to have combined to make Gracie a triple threat? So far, she appears to be handling the over-hype okay. I like her a lot.

Of the rest of the up-and-coming ladies, I was impressed by Nina Jiang at Nationals this year, especially in the sp.

18. RD

RD Well-Known Member

:confused: Hmm...I'm hearing this a lot from people it seems...about the looks thing.

Anyway, I like what I saw at WTT but I still think the hype to reality ratio is a bit off at this point.

19. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I think Gracie is really gorgeous, honestly, and so is Wagner!

Two beautiful women :D

20. RD

RD Well-Known Member

nevermind

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  21. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

There's a lot of good-looking skaters, but obviously "looks" won't get you far if you can't skate. For sure in the World of fs the reality is that having "looks," talent, great attitude, dedication, an alliterative and metaphorical name, technical ability, and grounded-ness can get you far. OTOH, navigating hype, managing pressure, developing artistry and consistency, feeling and expressing the fire within while maintaining perfect technique ain't all that easy -- those who can do all this might be able to reach the podium on a regular basis. Not sayin' Gracie has all the goods, particularly not yet, but lots of fans apparently can't wait to see her live up to her moniker.

22. Sylvia

23. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

I have seen Gracie live a couple of times (One being this year's nationals) and she is quite impressive. I really think she will live up to the hype, but it's still early. She has a women's body (I was standing right next to her) and a fierce determination and competitive spirit. I have seen Agnes numerous times and I don't get the same fierceness from her that I get from Ashley Wagner or Gold.

24. Sylvia

25. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Reposting this from the thread in GSD for those who may be interested in coming. :)

Please note that tickets for the Saturday & Sunday shows are now $8 for adults and $6 for students.

26. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

27. Sylvia

I don't believe Agnes Zawadzki was ever coached by Ouriashev. Zawadzki's USFS/Icenetwork bio says she "Trained in Chicago under David Santee until 2008, when she moved to Colorado Springs to be coached by Tom Zakrajsek..."

ETA: I just came across 2 off-ice photos of an 11-year-old Gracie Gold at 2007 US "Junior" Nationals (December 2006) when she was a Juvenile pair skater (she placed 8th with Sean Hickey): http://www.usfsa.org/event_related_details.asp?ri=content/events/200607/usjunior/backstagepics5.htm

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  28. UDelpairs2012

UDelpairs2012 New Member

I think that Haley Dunne also has a lot of technical ability and she is really working on her artistry! She is going to be a force if she can get a triple triple done really well. Her air position is almost perfect!

29. RD

RD Well-Known Member

While she's certainly a talented skater (I liked her and Forte the best of the non-contenders), I didn't exactly get the impression that she's going to set the skating world on fire. At least not on the level of Gracie Gold or even Agnes Zawadzki.

30. Sylvia

Regardless, it's nice for Dunne to mentioned in this general U.S. Ladies thread. :)

BTW, Ashley Cain tweeted on April 25 that she visited the University of Delaware and mentioned seeing Haley Dunne and other UD skaters.