U.S. Ladies [#4]: Gold or Pyrite?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vagabond, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Carry on....
    julieann and (deleted member) like this.
  2. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Ooo, a new thread. Kinda like taking that first run down the mountain in fresh snow! Love it!
  3. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

who is or what is a Pyrite ? :confused:
  4. falling_dance

falling_dance Well-Known Member

Fool's gold.
  5. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

ugh oh that , omg i had a different spelling
    sorry :wall:
  6. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Eh...I don't like the title. I feel like every page is going to be full of people debating whether or not Gracie Gold is the second coming...:blah: Is she "Gold" or is she pyrite? *sigh* I miss Michelle Kwan...
  7. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

As opposed to the other US ladiezzz threads where every other page was spent dumping on Flatt, Czisny and/or Nagasu for failing to live up to whatever expectations people had of them. :shuffle:
    Ozzisk8tr and (deleted member) like this.
  8. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Well at least Flatt, Czisny and Nagasu have had their fair share of failures and successes. Gracie's never even been to senior event and people are ready to hand her the US title and book her flight to Soichi. Trust me, the dumping will come as soon as she fails to live up to the flat out ridiculous expectations people are already piling on top of her. It's sad how desperate people are for a US contender...who cares if she's ready? Who cares if aside from her jumps her skating isn't all that spectacular? Send her to 4CC, senior worlds and WTT...we need her now!

I feel sorry for the kid already... :wideeyes:

Here's hoping someone else decides to step up to the plate this summer. I'd love to see some of the other talented US ladies make a splash: Yasmin Siraj, Nina Jiang, Angela Wang, Leah Keiser, not to mention it'd be great if Christina Gao and Agnes Zawadski could get their crap together.
  9. icellist

icellist New Member

Angela Wang needs an international assignment!!!!!!
  10. RD

RD Well-Known Member

It's made worse since US ladies skating is in the gutter and help is needed. One moderately good, consistent skater (i.e. Ashley Wagner this year) isn't enough. But as I don't think Gold is the second coming everyone else seems to think she is (yet, anyway), I'm willing to give her a little time. In the meantime, though, no one is willing to step up- or when we need TWO skaters to step up, only ONE does (Wagner this year, Czisny last year, Flatt in 2009, etc.)

I forgot whether I posed this question on the other thread, but I definitely did somewhere: I'm curious to see which one of Wagner and Gold will emerge as the better skater. Not intending on starting a nonexistent rivalry here but I'm just curious because in many ways I think they are similar skaters. They're both driven, more of the athletic type (as opposed to light like, say, Czisny), and relatively strong in jumps.

Also- we have confirmation that Nagasu intends to continue next season...but how about Flatt?
  11. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

She didn't get named to Gardenia because she's already done a JGP. I'm sure we'll see her on the JGP next season.
  12. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Spin Alissa Spin!!!

I prefer Wang as the next great American lady. :swoon:
  13. skfan

skfan New Member

i could live with that. :D

i really like her ease and flow. really like it. here's somebody beside miyahara who has a ride out on her jump that satisfies my fix for olden-times fumie suguri. angela's jumps at nationals were not low, her 2a looked smooth coming in and going out. i don't see how tonia kwiatkowski could say she 'eeked' or 'squeaked' the 2a or whatever :shuffle:

although... if angela doesn't start stretching better and pointing her toes i'm going to bemoan another technically gifted skater neglecting some little things that are important to me. plus it makes her donut spin look awkward. if we could combine the dramatics and refinement of nina jiang with the ease and flow and jumps of angela, would we have our own patrick (patricia) chan? yes, i know he's several stratospheres above, but if i'm gonna dream, i'm gonna dream big.

although that messes with my plans to annoint leah keiser and mariah bell... :rofl:

i know. as if anybody stands a chance with next year's worlds tickets already punched for ashley wagner and gracie gold... and probably the oly year, too...
  14. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Yes, yes, you all get distracted by Gold, Wang, Keiser, and Bell. Then Miller can COME OUT OF NOWHERE.
  15. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Hannah Miller will rule the universe.
  16. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Shhhh. No. We're trying to keep that on the DL!
  17. The Fly On The Wall

The Fly On The Wall Active Member

:respec:
  18. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Christina seems to have nothing going for her at this time except for her jumps. She doesn't put out any kind of personality in her skating. Agnes showed in the SP at Nats that she can be a factor but she seems to pull a Mirai or Sasha and always screw up her LP. As for Wang, Keiser, Jiang it's to early though i think that Keiser could grow into a beautiful skater.
  19. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

ITA. After the Ladies' SP, Phil Hersh tweeted something to the effect, was Gracie Gold available? I tweeted back that he shouldn't do that even in jest and that he should leave her alone and let her evolve. I also said that he would be the first to tear her down as quickly as he had built her up. :mad:
  20. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Nina Jiang for 2014 Olympic Champion!! She even looks like Yuna!!
  21. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Besides the health of the two above, also depends on whether there is also a re-emerged Nagasu (yes, it's possible regardless of the # of people counting her out now), improved Zawadzki, Zhang, etc. for them to contend with.

Also important to note the curse of the defending national champ- history may not be kind to Wagner next year!
  22. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Gracie has loads of improvement to do if she's to challenge for Nats next year. Let's hope her jumps remain strong because she will be a force if she can maintain her technical prowess which puts most of the Seniors to shame.
  23. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Gracie is from the Chicago area. Phil is a total homer. If Gracie doesn't pan out, he'll make her out to be a victim. :lol:
  24. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Fenway; are you SC of Boston?? :rofl:
  25. jlai

jlai Title-less

I've just rewatched Yasmin Siraj at regionals; man, the girl can skate. Good basics and good spins. Too bad about her smallish jumps. I hope she gets some bigger jumps so she can compete at the top
  26. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Because that double axel was barely eeked out... She didn't even go up on it at all.
  27. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

According to Hersh, Gracie is skating to "Hernando's Hideaway" (SP) and selections from the Life is Beautiful soundtrack (FS) next season.
  28. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

29. martyross

martyross New Member

oh no. a tango. making a good one is difficult in figure skating. and it's overdone to the point of becoming a cliche. i wouldn't suggest it to a junior unless she already has charisma, maturity and flow. requires also a good choreographer. if its camerlengo though, it could come out ok as he has a thing for tangos.
    the fs is a good idea instead. i like it.
  30. The Fly On The Wall

The Fly On The Wall Active Member

Can "Carmen" be far behind?
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  31. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Sasha Cohen did an exhibition to Hernando's Hideaway in 2002 (slightly OT, but I love the commentary about "the quad.")
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCIk7LskGqc&feature=fvsr

This music always reminds me of a bunch of old people doing the tango in a ballroom dancing class. It will be interesting to see what Gracie does with it.
  32. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

I'm happy for Gold, but I think it's a little weird how much hype and push (even from USFS) she's getting compared to what Zawadzki got in 2010. They both won their respective junior titles in similarly convincing fashion and then went on to in silver at World Juniors from relative obscurity (in the international sense). It remains to be seen whether Gold will deliver more than Zawadzki has done in the seasons following her junior title, but to this point, their careers have been quite similar with far more hype for Gold.
  33. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

The US is far more desperate than they were in 2010
  34. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

It must be at least partly due to the combination of Gracie's last name and her 3 different jump combinations with 3T at the end. :D
  35. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

ITA.

I myself prefer to take a wait and see attitude. I've seen one too many wunderkinds in my time soar, then crash and burn. I don't feel Gracie will go this route but it doesn't mean she's suddenly going to be a world beater either.
  36. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

The best thing about Gracie going is that it gives her a taste of senior competition before she has her first GP. If she does well, that's excellent. If she does poorly, it's not wholly a loss; she will have a better understanding of what her problems are, and what she has to do to fix them.
  37. berthesghost

berthesghost New Member

Plus they all seem to show improvement when they first switch coaches, but then almost revert to their old ways. Will Ashley's improvements last longer with Nicks than they did with Hill?
  38. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Well, the other thing that's different between Graice and Agnes is that one of them actually invested in a sports psychologist... Unlike the other one who is in dire need of one. :mad:

And I'm also not the one to hype people, but Gracie is definitely someone who is going to be a force to be reckoned with within the next couple of seasons.
  39. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Sorry can't jump on the bandwagon. It was rude and dismissive (but not at all surprising) of USFS to pass up senior-level skaters who had wonderful skates at this year's Nationals and blow them off in order to jumpstart Gold.

Unless of course, they all declined, but I can't imagine that happening.
  40. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Yes, they appear to be.