U.S. Ladies [#10]: Always Believe in Gold

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vagabond, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

The spins were actually relatively early in the program. And for the few years I have watched her skate, this has been a constant problem for her. Still, standing on 7 triples (first time ever?) and fully rotating 6 of them is pretty big for her.

AxelAnnie likes this.
  2. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

lol Didn't know that glaring at the audience whenever you feel like it is called emotion. Never late to learn new things. The note made me curious about Frankie Goes to Hollywood - had never heard of it before - and I went to search for Two Tribes on youtube. Thank you for the laugh.:rofl:

3. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

you are welcome. feeling mischievous.

I was just trying to channel a blond American teenager w/ an untapped inner diva and her thoughts regarding an older coach and his ideal picture of a lady on the ice

Maximillian and AxelAnnie like this.
  4. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

:rofl:

5. toddlj

toddlj Livestreams at 1am on Thanksgiving weekend? OK!

http://www.isuresults.com/events/cs2014/csladies.htm

Based on the link above, it would appear that Hannah Miller will be going to Ice Challenge Graz. This is likely still unofficial, but if it happens it is great news for her, as it's highly unlikely she will get a GP assignment and this will help her earn the points she'll need for next season. (Also, this would give her a bye to Nationals.)

6. jlai

jlai Title-less

I'm normally not in the doom and gloom business, but I do find it troubling that none of the US ladies have done better than expected. The norm for a skating powerhouse should be having some girls do better than expected (with some doing about what is expected and some what is less than expected). So far other than the competition at Salt Lake City (the only one on US soil), every US lady is doing about what is expected or less than expected, and not beating the majority of their close rivals, with some worse than expected (e.g. Cain). That is totally unlike the US men, who somehow got some momentum going in the early competitions with some expected wins, but also more US men beating their close rivals for a gold.

The only mini-surprise for US ladies was Karen Chen's sp wins both JGP. Her LPs ended up behind the top Russians.
    This is early season, but somehow US men picked up some momentum while US ladies didn't pick up any. Perhaps if one of Gold or Edmunds or Wagner starts competing well, then there is a US #1 to lead the ship and get some momentum going, I dunno.

clairecloutier likes this.
  7. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

Pretty underwhelmed by all the US ladies at this point. :-/

8. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Hannah Miller and Courtney Hicks skated strong free skates so far in winning their silver medals.

From the previous page:
    118.83 Miller (Lombardia) 64.59 TES / 54.24 PCS (she skated in the second-to-last group)
    115.24 Hicks (USIC) 60.44 / 54.80

ETA: Angela Wang has improved her scores in each competition since August, and even though she didn't skate clean programs in Barrie, Ontario, she was able to set a new ISU personal best total score of 163.68 in her second senior international competition in winning the silver medal at Autumn Classic International earlier today.

ISU Judging System - Season Bests Total Scores 2014/2015

Top 8 U.S. Ladies - 3 most recent scores are bolded & next competition included below:

5 182.31 Gracie GOLD Nebelhorn Trophy 2014, 3rd (Skate America)
    7 176.35 Polina EDMUNDS U.S. International FS Classic 2014, 1st (Cup of China)
    9 174.14 Courtney HICKS U.S. International FS Classic 2014, 2nd (Skate Canada)
    11 170.26 Hannah MILLER CS Lombardia Trophy 2014, 2nd (Ice Challenge)
    12 169.41 Karen CHEN ISU JGP Croatia Cup 2014, 2nd (Pacific Coast Sectionals)
    19 163.68 Angela WANG Skate Canada Autumn Classic International 2014, 2nd (Rostelecom Cup)
    20 159.49 Mirai NAGASU U.S. International FS Classic 2014, 5th (Skate America)
    21 159.40 Samantha CESARIO Finlandia Trophy 2014, 2nd (Skate America)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  9. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

This appears really bad for Wagner.

10. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Why? Until she competes a full competition (Skate Canada), we don't know how she stands in relation to the others who already have competed internationally once or twice.

bronwynsings, cbd1235 and smarts1 like this.
  11. leafygreens

The fact that she has yet to skate a full competition is bad. These other girls are raring and ready to go, and getting feedback on both programs. It has historically not been good for skaters to just show up at the big ones and expect to do well.

12. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Wagner has never competed in a Senior B before the GP... I assume it's always been her choice.

cbd1235 likes this.
  13. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Since when is debuting at a GP a bad thing?? :huh: The GPs aren't the big ones anyway.

14. leafygreens

It didn't used to be a bad thing to not do a full Senior B, but the tide is shifting. Every other top competitor senses there is value in doing a full Senior B to get feedback before their GP assignments. Why is this?

15. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

It isn't just the feedback. It's also the World Standings points, which lead to better seedings in subsequent events.

There's also a downside to this: overtraining, greater expenses, burnout, fatigue, and injury.

aftershocks, Tesla and falling_dance like this.
  16. leafygreens

Very true. Another good reason to compete more.

This is a good point especially with Ashley being the "old woman" in the field, maybe she doesn't want to overtrain.
    My concern is that sometimes later in skater's careers (like Kwan, Cohen) they start competing less (resting on laurels? Not sure...) But after that their careers went downhill. Is this due to competing less, or age? No way to know.

There didn't used to be as much need for feedback to rack up every single point - Now it's a necessity.

But Ashley already did JO so why not do a competition with SP as well, to get it out of the way? It doesn't seem like too much of a stretch if you're already willing to travel and do an LP.

I'm not convinced she is going to do well with the poor outing of her LP. It could be just "one bad competition" but she has used that excuse a lot.

17. Maximillian

Maximillian You can't unfry things.

This might have already been addressed but I wasn't around much over the summer, does anyone know what Agnes Zawadzski is up to? I would assume she's done, but was just curious.

18. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

It was announced on June 18 that she would not compete this season - thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...-to-sit-out-2014-15-competitive-season.92548/
    Her most recent skating appearance was at Harvard's "An Evening with Champions" last month.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
    Maximillian likes this.
  19. Flying Camel

Flying Camel Member

Did anyone see Cesario's SP at Finlandia Trophy? I don't see it on You Tube.

20. olympic

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ro_2irtsQE

The program suits her. I love watching it. It's one program where I look forward to seeing the FW! Congrats to her on a 3-3 seq.

Whoops. Saw Sylvia's post below. Sorry.

21. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

^^^ That's her FS. Also, Cesario's 3Lo+1Lo(half loop)+3S is her new combo, not seq. ;)
    I haven't seen it or found a YT link yet.

22. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

clairecloutier, kwanatic and mag like this.
  23. leafygreens

The above iceNetwork article says Sam can't work on her spins much because of her ankle issue and it hurts her to hold the positions.

24. Flying Camel

Flying Camel Member

That does not sound good for Cesario. I hope she can last the whole season and make it to Nationals.!

25. jlai

jlai Title-less

I have to admit, nothing in the gp so far convinces me that top US ladies can contend with top Russian ladies. And they have the Japanese ladies close behind them.
    Ashley did ok in Skate Canada but the silver /bronze could have gone a different way.

alexikeguchi, oleada and Maximillian like this.
  26. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Interesting question: there were a lot of years when quite a few US ladies looked awesome at the start of the year, and the Russian ladies looked awful, only to have that turned around later in the season. Russian nationals is going to be a bloodbath for the ladies -- several top-ten-in-the-world skaters are going to get left off the Worlds list, so peaking this fall is probably of supreme importance. Be interesting to see if any of them can sustain that level through the GPs, Finals, Russian Nationals, Euros and Worlds.

With the American ladies, whoever manages to stand up likely makes the team.

I wish Gold could bring some of the joy and exuberance I saw in the Shake it Off exhibition to her skating. That's the Gold I remember from Midwesterns years ago. Wagner is pushing the "mature woman" thing instead of focusing on rotating her jumps, and Mirai certainly isn't better than she was last year. Cesario has a lack of speed that is noticeable even on TV, and the impact of her injury makes this season not look so good, anyway. Hicks is exciting, but not at all polished. I'm looking forward to seeing Edmunds -- nice if she shows up at the GP with some oomph this fall. Other than that, I'd say we're in rebuilding. Just like we were last quad.

AxelAnnie likes this.
  27. olympic

Which is frustrating. U.S. ladies have an opening w/ the retirements of Kim, Suzuki, and probable retirements of Asada and Kostner. The only thing standing in their way at Worlds '15 will be 3 Russians and just perhaps Miyahara (I recognize that that is a big obstacle) but the U.S. has talent.

28. dorianhotel

dorianhotel Member

Lipnitskaya and Sotnikova are pretty much untouchable for any U.S girl even at their best. Anna P, Elena R, or Tuktamysheva can be challenged by a U.S girl, but they must skate just perfect to manage it.

29. olympic

At this point, I agree. I was just thinking today that the U.S. has a chance at snatching a bronze at '15 Worlds, just judging by the quality of skating I've seen thus far this season. Miyahara doesn't score that high outside of Japan (Skate Canada).

30. kwanoverrated

kwanoverrated Active Member

Sotnikova can always self destruct and if she does any U.S skater who skates great has a shot to beat her. Yeah no U.S women can touch the Sochi Sotnikova, even under the fair judging which would have put her 4th at the 2014 Olympics, but she is rarely close to that. Anyway she isn't even certain to compete.