U.S. Ice Dance News & Notes - Summer 2013

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jun 9, 2013.

1. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I asked in the PBP thread but I'll ask again here: Why did Hawayek/Baker's spin in the FD get only a L1?

2. rhumba

rhumba New Member

Was very impressed with Lewis/Bye, and their difficult lifts. She is only 13, and he is only 15 yo!

3. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Among other things, he doesn't get down far enough in the sit position.

4. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Hawayek/Baker are lovely. She's very musical, and she round out and finishes her body movements: she doesn't fall out of anything and rush to the next thing.

5. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

Even with a couple of bobbles in the program, Rachel and Michael Parsons were second in short dance at JGP Kosice. They have quite possibly the best matching lines in current junior ice dancers. Their matching leg lines are a beauty. Unfortunately matching lines are not rewarded and appreciated nearly as much today as they were before in ice dance. Skaters are clearly not spending much time training for it. More and more programs can get away with a kind of choreography in which almost no moves need to match the bodies, as long as all the criteria for levels are met. And programs with beautiful matching lines appear to garner no advantage in the points.

Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0aSvB7HKRk&list=SPuB703eaMDlLid_9-H3bWdeasCpnSZr27&index=12

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  6. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Thanks for posting, and really happy for them to have a strong outing. Must have been frustrating for them to have to miss Nationals last year with his injury. Hope this gives them confidence heading into the Free dance.

7. analia

analia Active Member

They are my favorite US junior dance team. Very easy on the eyes. Too bad they are siblings. They have the belbin/agosto look and could go very far.
    Hawayek/Baker isn't my style. He really is too small.

8. dancefan17

dancefan17 Member

The Parsons lines remind me of Samuelson/Bates (when they were together obviously!) and the Hubbells. They also have an easy flow over the ice. Height is pretty close between them -- don't see an advantage here over H/B.

9. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

10. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Kaitlin Hawayek/Jean-Luc Baker have qualified for their first JGP Final by winning their second gold medal of the season in Gdansk, Poland this past weekend! :)

Competing in the 5th JGP in Minsk, Belarus this week are Lorraine McNamara/Quinn Carpenter (silver in Latvia) and 2013 U.S. Novice silver medalists Tory Patsis/Joe Johnson (their Team USA debut).

Some ice dance result sheet photos from Challenge Cup near Philadelphia and Pikes Peak Classic in Colorado Springs are posted on IDC's FB page: https://www.facebook.com/icedancecom

ETA this tweet by USFS in Detroit:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  11. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

12. semogal

13. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing that! I am really looking forward to seeing their dances this season, and I can't wait to see this in its entirety as well. Shame about that nasty fall, but better on the practice ice than in competition (if it has to be anywhere). I'm enjoying watching this team develop - definitely rooting for them to make it to the Olympics.

14. semogal

15. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

16. semogal

Thanks for sharing! What music were they skating to? I'm too lazy this morning to look it up.

17. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Wow at having 2 U.S. Dance teams in the JGP Final! :)
    From McNamara/Carpenter's ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013356.htm
    Discombobulate (from "Sherlock Holmes" soundtrack) by Hans Zimmer
    The Godfather Waltz by Nino Rota
    Discombobulate (from "Sherlock Holmes" soundtrack) by Hans Zimmer

2013 U.S. Novice silver medalists Tory Patsis & Joe Johnson will always remember their JGP debut! http://www.ice-dance.com/main/2013-jgp-minsk-blog/1687-2013-jgp-minsk-blog-stitches-sportsmanship

18. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

Sylvia beat me to it. :)

McNamara & Carpenter's free dance is apparently about the cat-and-mouse game between Irene Adler and Sherlock Holmes.

Kudos for Patsis for skating injured.

19. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Looks like the USA will be in good hands once D&W retire.

20. semogal

Thanks Sylvia!!!

21. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Hubbell and Donahue win the gold at Nebelhorn!! Congrats and yay for US ice dancers!

22. semogal

Nationals is going to be thrilling and heartbreaking. D/W, H/D, S/S, Lynn/Logan, C/B all vying for spots on the Olympic team. We've seen the programs for D/W, H/D and Lynn/Logan. I look forward to seeing what S/S and C/B have to offer this season. I wish we could send them all!

23. semogal

24. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing that, semogal. I really enjoyed that - it almost didn't even feel like a competitive piece. It felt very smooth and flowing, and they have come so far in the short time they've been together. H/D might not have all the difficulty of the very top dance teams, but they are certainly building. IMO this team is so different from the team that won Nebelhorn in 2011. Congrats to them.

I'm rooting for H/D to make the Olympic team, but Nationals is just going to be heartbreaking this season, you're right. I'm going to be gutted no matter who gets to go.

ETA: Madison looks elegant - I love her hair, and her dress (and she has had some questionable outfits before haha) - and in comparison, Zach looks like he's wearing sweatpants. I think I get that the grey is supposed make her stand out more...but can he get a new outfit? :lol:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  25. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

Worse, I thought it looked like prison garb (Did she release him from prison?). Donohue's costume is not good. Madi's dress is fine.

26. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

Sorry double post.

27. semogal

Here's the Eurosport version of H/D's FD:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJxN9x4qTQg

I wasn't sure what to think when I saw the practice footage of this dance. But they blew me away today. I have watched it like 10 times. It is already beautiful and has room to grow throughout the rest of the season.

28. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I feel the same, semogal. H/D just thrilled me with that beautiful FD. I love their SD as well and will be happy to see it again with more mileage.

29. shan

shan Well-Known Member

30. jlai

jlai Title-less

After seeing Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt and H/D, I can kinda see why USFS gives Skate America to H/D . K/GS's short dance needed more work on it. :slinkaway: