U.S. Ice Dance News & Notes - Summer 2013

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Penniless Rostrum

Penniless Rostrum Looking for my siggy!!!

I am at a loss to which country these teams skate for; Julien & Daze Can ?? Robitaille &Granger Can ?? Moschina & Domonkos Lukacs?? Di Iorio & Benoit Can ?? Just going by the French sounding names that sound like they are from Can, LOL please help thanks:)

2. icecat

icecat Active Member

Diorio and benoit should be US..that's ice Dance judge Janice Benoit's son...last I heard they were still in Chicago

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Did you look at their official results? (link in post #30)

Lynn K. & Logan G-S are blogging in their usual, lively fashion from Lake Placid for IN: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130801&content_id=55576698&vkey=ice_news
    Snippet:

4. analia

analia Active Member

A&E is so technically sound, but...

5. dancefan17

dancefan17 Member

Thinking/hoping Lynn and Logan locked in Skate America with Lake Placid performances.

6. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

I'm hoping-but realistically, they will probably prefer to give A&E their 2nd slot. Maybe one of the other TBA's will go to Lynn & Logan. :slinkaway:

7. CoralReef

CoralReef Member

A couple of observations, Aldridge/Eaton looked very prepared. They're used to junior though and having to be ready for earlier events. They also have the momentum of being Junior Dance US Champions. I am wondering what kind of improvements they'll make to an already complete program. Some of the other returning senior teams definitely were not at peak performance yet. It might be a concern if GP's started this month, but there is still plenty of time.

I doubt USFS would give Aldridge/Eaton a 2nd GP before Hubbel/Donahue (who only have 1 themselves). Lynn and Logan are probably still front runners having no GP this season and they weren't terrible in Lake Placid, just on a different training calendar than Aldridgre/Eaton. Cannuscio/McManus, last years SA host pick did okay too. SD technical and PCS were comparable to the Russians. They reportedly had a lift issue in the FD which resulted in a penalty and no score for that element. Personally I thought Lynn and Logan and Cannuscio/McManus still have a lot of room for improvement as they continue to finish their programs for Salt Lake.

8. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

Re A/E's Free -I just wonder about the wisdom of doing an Indian/Bollywood program before Davis and White retire. It looks like it needs a bit of work and polish still-and it begs comparison with D/W.

I absolutely loved their SD though.

I do hope A/E get a second GP.

9. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

USFSA should spread the wealth and give Lynn and Logan a GP before giving A/E or H/D two. Keeping fingers crossed to see them at SA!

10. rhumba

rhumba New Member

Agree. In the last few years, USFS never gave SA to the team that already got one GP. H/D did not compete at LP, no score to compare with others. Last year, C/B won LP, they did not get the SA as their 2nd GP. They gave it to C/M, and I recalled the same with the year before.

11. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Hubbell/Donohue did skate their FD at Skate Detroit and scored 83.01. That's a higher FD score than any of the senior teams got at Lake Placid.

12. rhumba

rhumba New Member

That's very nice score. However, it's different judge panel and not sure if the USFS committtee was there. For the ice dance international assignments, JGP and GP, they took the results from LP.

13. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Have you seen any videos of their FD floating around?

14. blancanieves

blancanieves Active Member

From the 7/29/13 icenetwork.com article: "The 2012 U.S. bronze medalists presented a short dance of quickstep and foxtrot rhythms, and a free dance to violinist Lucia Micarelli's "Bohemian Rhapsody in Nocturne" at Skate Detroit. The goal wasn't to notch a high score but to prove program readiness before a judging panel and U.S. Figure Skating officials."

15. rhumba

rhumba New Member

Nobody said they're not ready, H/D gave interview about hoping for Nebelhorn, did not mention SA. We are discussing about SA assignment.They're debating who would get SA, base on LP result. Historically, the USFS international committee comes to LP and makes decision on JGP and SA assignment after LP.

16. blancanieves

blancanieves Active Member

Sorry, I was just providing an answer to this: "and not sure if the USFS committtee was there." :)

nylynnr and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Conga

Conga New Member

The truth is that the international committee can probably do whatever it wants to do. The question is WHEN will the remaining SA assignments for all disciplines be announced and posted?

18. skylarcat

skylarcat New Member

How many spots are open and what are the possible scenarios for assignments?

19. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

There is 1 TBA in dance for Skate America.

1 GP already: Hubbell/Donohue (Skate Canada), Aldridge/Eaton (China)
    0 GP: Lynn & Logan, Cannuscio/McManus - both are assigned to the Senior B in Salt Lake (with Davis/White and the Shibutanis).
    Nebelhorn (1 dance spot) and Finlandia (1-2 spots) are the other Senior B events for dance that take place before the start of the GP. Dance teams have been sent to Ice Challenge in Graz, Austria in November in past years.

Chock/Bates are likely to get a Sr. B to prepare for the GP.
    Alissandra Aronow & Collin Brubaker are the only other Senior dance team listed in the ISP.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  20. skylarcat

skylarcat New Member

Thanks Sylvia. So the only GP open for a US dance team is SA? Or am i reading incorrectly.

21. Conga

Conga New Member

Looking at it with that information:

Lynn and Logan had remained in the top 24 Season's Best through Worlds and with their showing at LP should be highly considered for SA
    Hubbell/Donahue mentioned something about Nebelhorn in an interview, so perhaps they already know that will be their Senior B assignment
    That would mean Chock/Bates could be given Finlandia and the second spot given to Aldridge/Eaton
    Ice Challenge is listed on the USFS calendar and could complete the pool assignments with Cannuscio/McManus and Aronow/Brubaker

I could also see where USFS would assign Hubbell/Donahue to Finlandia instead to save on coaching costs since Krylova and Carmalengo have both H/D and A/E.

22. DORISPULASKI

and while the US has only 1 dance spot to assign on the GP (SA), there are still 3more unassigned spots, TEB, CoR and CoC.

http://www.isuresults.com/events/gp2013/gpsdance.htm
    It's possible, since Lynn & Logan are in the 24 season's best, that they might get one of the other 2 spots.

23. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

I don't believe they're currently on the season's best list.

24. DORISPULASKI

25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Lynn & Logan are #26 on the 2012-13 ISU SB total scores list (link posted above) - are they currently among the top 5 on the dance alternates list? (paging kwanfan1818! ;))

26. Conga

Conga New Member

No, they are not on the current Season's Best (top 24) list; sorry I wasn't clearer. I stated that they "had remained on the Season's Best list through Worlds" but I should have added that they lost their standing after the World Team Trophy. I just meant that WTT isn't held every year and K/G-S would have received one under the rules had it been the alternate season. I do hope, though, that USFS doesn't use the reasoning that since they are 26th, they might get one anyway because, unless I am mistaken, the rules allow for out-of-order selection.

ETA-Where is there an alternates list?

27. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

28. Conga

Conga New Member

Thanks, Sylvia. Initially, I was confused by the changes in the standings because I didn't realize that the World Team Trophy would count as it did and was surprised K/G-S wasn't on the original GP assignment list. IIRC, the Reeds moved up from a much lower spot after WTT and received their first GP according to the rules regarding SB. They were then able to maximize by getting their second, as you mentioned, through a host pick from their own country.

So, it looks like out of the top 28 SB teams, K/G-S is the only one without a GP. The problem for them is that there really is no chance they would be given a host pick by France, Russia or China. Why would they when those federations would want to use the spots for one of their own? I would like to see USFS give K/G-S support and not leave it to the remote possibility they could be an alternate selection, but as I said before, the international committee can do whatever it chooses. I just wish it would decide sometime soon! :)

29. Conga

Conga New Member

I know this isn't a question relating only to US Ice Dance News, but I figure someone here could answer the question:

What list is IceNetwork going off of in their new article on skater rankings? What they are using doesn't seem to match any of the rankings (World, Season World or SB) I see on the ISU site. Am I missing something? Thanks!

30. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

They have their own rankings system: http://web.icenetwork.com/rankings/ (not sure if anyone really pays attention to it, though! ;))