U.S. Ice Dance News & Discussion: 2013/14 Olympic season & promising future prospects

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

2. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

Nathalie and Fabian FTW :cheer:
  3. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Wait, what?? Where is it confirmed that Meryl & Charlie are skipping worlds? <hopping over to worlds threads>
  4. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

5. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

I knew this was a real possibility but I held out hope that we would see Meryl and Charlie one last time. I am so bummed.
  6. Meteorlight

Meteorlight Active Member

It is for sure D/W are retiring though? Maybe they're just taking some time to capitalize on their OGM (doing SOI and perhaps DWTS) but will be back for another season to cap off their career. Wishful thinking on my part but I really hope that now with no Olympic pressure they'll want to go out on a creative high ... and skate to LOTR or Game of Thrones (teehee)
  7. ilovepaydays

ilovepaydays Well-Known Member

Wow. I thought that Davis and White would at least do Worlds so that the U.S. can keep three spots in ice dance. Does the U.S. have a chance to keep three spots?
  8. blancanieves

blancanieves Member

Tweet from Lynn Rutherford: https://twitter.com/LynnRutherford/status/440583419157024769

9. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

If the rankings stay the same but everyone moves up two spots because of the absence of V&M and D&W then U.S. would be 6&7 = 13 = three spots.
  10. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

That is officially THE MOST OPAQUE entry list ever. It includes ALL alternates without distinguishing who's actually going and who isn't, so that you have to know how many slots a country has to determine who's in and who's out (beyond a maximum of 3, of course). However. . . No D/W on there :wuzrobbed:
  11. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

You can sort of tell because the list is in alphabetical order. The skaters who are taking up slots that federations are entitled to are listed alphabetically, and then the alternates are listed afterwards.
  12. ilovepaydays

ilovepaydays Well-Known Member

Thanks. That is cutting it close, though - Yikes!
  13. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

Here's a less opaque list at least as it pertains to the USA:

http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=49941&type=media

2014 U.S. World Figure Skating Team:
    Ladies:
    Polina Edmunds
    Gracie Gold
    Ashley Wagner

Men:
    Max Aaron
    Jeremy Abbott

Pairs:
    Marissa Castelli and Simon Shnapir
    Caydee Denney and John Coughlin

Ice dance:
    Alexandra Aldridge and Daniel Eaton
    Madison Chock and Evan Bates
    Maia Shibutani and Alex Shibutani
  14. semogal

Sending thoughts and prayers to Madison Hubbell today as she undergoes surgery on her hip.
  15. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Active Member

Yes. I wish her the best of luck with the surgery and recovery, hope all goes well.
  16. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Yes all positive thoughts for Madison! Hope the healing process is as easy as possible and that she and Zach will be set to own next season. :cheer:
  17. hockeyplayer2

hockeyplayer2 Member

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  18. hockeyplayer2

hockeyplayer2 Member

19. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I'm sad that H/D aren't going to get to Words, but I'm glad Madison's surgery went well. I hope she has a smooth recovery. :)
  20. Conga

Conga New Member

^^^This...and that next season is very successful for them. Looking forward to seeing them at 2015 Worlds!
  21. semogal

Good luck to our JR World team tomorrow!! Remember that Icenetwork is showing it live starting at 7:00 AM Eastern (subscription required).
  22. Turbo-Mom

Turbo-Mom Member

First of all let's all pray the Madison get's back to 100% for next season. Cartilage, and its supporting bone and nourishment is very difficult to treat and deal with, both physically and also mentally - sort of like watching grass grow. Glad to hear that Physical Therapy has started and she is recovering well. Expect to see her home and at DSC very soon.
    The Dream Team.
  23. toddlj

toddlj Well-Known Member

Hawayek and Baker just scored 66.73 for their SP at Jr. Worlds. I know we can't compare competition-to-competition, but this score would put them in the top echelon of US senior teams. It is higher than Chock/Bates and the Shibs season's best scores. Could we see a changing of the guard next year?
  24. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Excellent showing by all 3 U.S. teams - 1st, 3rd and 4th after the SD!
    1 Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER USA 66.73 (new ISU PB/SB) 36.86 29.87 7.54 7.18 7.46 7.61 7.50 0.00 #25
    3 Lorraine MCNAMARA / Quinn CARPENTER USA 58.65 (new ISU PB/SB) 32.00 26.65 6.79 6.46 6.68 6.68 6.68 0.00 #23
    4 Rachel PARSONS / Michael PARSONS USA 58.08 31.65 26.43 6.71 6.39 6.68 6.68 6.57 0.00 #27
  25. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Active Member

26. her grace

her grace Well-Known Member

I don't see them beating Chock/Bates, but they could surpass Aldridge/Eaton.

It will be interesting to see if any of these teams make coaching changes. Krylova's camp seems particularly full.
  27. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I absolutely think they could pass Chock and Bates. Maybe not by this time next year, but possibly by 2016. H/B definitely could pass the Shibs by Nationals next year if the Shibs stay in. So much will depend on the Grand Prix scores.
  28. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Best of luck to our junior teams! That's a great result after the SD. It'll definitely be interesting to see how things play out with teams moving up to the senior level in the fall.

Just so long as Hubbell/Donohue make their way to the top and stay there. ;)
  29. her grace

her grace Well-Known Member

I could see them passing Chock/Bates eventually. I certainly don't think there's going to be a changing of the guard next season, which is the question I answered. Hawayek/Baker are a fine junior team with excellent junior results. Still, there's no need to rush to anoint them senior national champions. Chock/Bates, Hubbell/Donohue, the Shibs, and Aldridge/Eaton are strong teams, too, and will be formidable competition for Hawayek/Baker.
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  30. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

I think C/B have great potential after seeing how far they've come in a few years together. They have a beautiful presence on the ice and wonderful chemistry. I know I'm in the minority, but I hope they rise to the top and kick a$$ for many years to come!
  31. Sylvia

Tweeted by USFS just now: "For the first time ever, the U.S. is home to the current Olympic champs, World champs and World Junior champs in ice dance!"

Congratulations to Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker, 2014 World Junior champions! :cheer:
    ETA links to their FD video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqTil6nSmmw
    Short Dance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYe7MokCOag

Lorraine McNamara/Quinn Carpenter finish in 4th (just over one point from 3rd) and the Parsons siblings place 8th in their JW debut.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  32. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Lynn Rutherford just reported that the ISU dance committee is thinking of one fewer lifts in the FD for next season.
  33. semogal

A great day for US Ice Dance. Lovely FD from H/B, so very happy for them!!!
  34. toddlj

toddlj Well-Known Member

Hawayek and Baker's new 157.12 SB is a bit behind that of the Shibs (157+), Hubbel/Donohue (158+) and Chock/Bates (164+). They are however quite a bit ahead of Aldridge/Eaton's 144.95. It will be interesting to see all five of these teams next season, and see how it plays out.
  35. jenniwren12

jenniwren12 Member

H/B's SD and FD are on youtube already: they looked fantastic! Very promising. I'm excited to watch this couple grow!
  36. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I thought it was interesting in the Icenetwork post-FD article that Hawayek/Baker said they hadn't decided yet if they were moving to senior next year. I still assume they will; they will have a good shot at the World team.
  37. hockeyplayer2

hockeyplayer2 Member

Congratulations to H/B on their World Jr. Championship title! The US has a wonderful future.

Just as comparing scores competition against competition does nothing, neither does comparing scores from JR to SR level.
  38. toddlj

toddlj Well-Known Member

Like it or not, SB scores are used to determine who gets on the GP, despite the fact that they are from different competitions. So, I agree with you that the comparison doesn't necessarily tell us a lot about the future; but they do matter.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  39. caitie

caitie Member

They definitely matter for GP placements, but I don't think you can compare them directly to C/B or the Shibs. I mean, look how much more difficult the quickstep pattern is for the senior teams.
  40. Sylvia