U.S. Ice Dance 2014/15 - news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 19, 2014.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

The first major club competition of the new season for ice dance is the Chesapeake Open, June 18-21, 2014, in Laurel, Maryland. Online registration is closed now and here are the Senior, Junior and Novice teams I've noted so far as planning to compete (not complete):

JUNIOR (* = currently listed in USFS' 2014-15 ISP)
    *Lorraine McNamara/Quinn Carpenter J2
    Sammi Wren/Alexey Shchepetov J9
    Emily Day/Kevin Leahy J10
    Gigi Becker/Luca Becker N1 (she's 12 and too young for JGP)
    *Eliana Gropman/Ian Somerville N2
    *Danielle Thomas/Alexander Martin N4
    Maeve Pascoe/Micah Jaffe N5
    Gwen Sletten/Elliott Verburg N7
    Katherine Gourianova/Alexander Petrov (N5 at 2013 U.S. Nationals; did not compete in 2013-14 U.S. qualifying)
    Abbey Isaacson/Scott Dudley P-N5 - coached by Ben Agosto
    Elliana Pogrebinsky J5/Alex Benoit J11 (NEW) - coached by Igor Shpilband
    Christina Carreira (CAN)/Anthony Ponomarenko N3 (NEW) - coached by Shpilband
    Ross Gudis J5 and Kyle MacMillan are partnered, respectively, with either Alisa Raikovskaia or Diana Avaz, both from Russia (2 NEW teams) - coached in Wheaton, MD by Kiliakov, Novak, Ilin
    Karina Manta N10/Joseph Johnson J12 (NEW) - coached by Patti Gottwein
    Rebecca Lucas/Timerlan Yerzhanov (KAZ) (NEW) - coached by John Kerr & Nadine Ahmed

NOVICE
    Rebecca Lustig/Zachary Milestone N9
    Alexis Middleton/Michael Valdez N11
    Caroline Green/Gordon Green Int1
    Katherine Grosul/Cameron Colucci Int2
    Emma Gunter/Caleb Wein Int3
    Eleanor Babaev/Scott Wenner Int4
    Jillian Moyer/Jarred Druzynski Int6 (NEW)
    Cassidy Klopstock/Logan Leonesio Int7 (NEW)
    Nina Holloway/Aidyn Gangemi (NEW)

SENIOR
    Kseniya Ponomaryova/Oleg Altukhov S16
    Ashlyn Gaughan/Cody Lithco Mids-J5

ETA that Julia Biechler/Damian Dodge J7 (ETA: listed in International Selection Pool - ISP) are registered to compete in the Picken Dance Classic comp. in Ashburn, Virginia, June 6-8. Many of the Wheaton teams will compete there as well - Diana Avaz and Ross Gudis are the only ones listed in Junior and may be a new team (awaiting confirmation).

Corrections/additions welcomed. Bring on the new season!

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  2. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

Sylvia, did you mean listed in ISP (International Selection Pool) or IPS (Ice Partner Search)? I'm assuming ISP...

Thanks for the info.

3. Jessica

Jessica Active Member

What happened to Ponomarenko's former partner? I loved them together. It's interesting that his new partner is from Canada.

4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Yes, it was a typo and I've corrected/clarified it now to ISP.

weirfan06 posted in the 2013-14 U.S. Dance news thread that Sarah Feng "is focusing on freestyle" (she qualified for 2013 Nationals in Novice Ladies).

5. Jessica

Jessica Active Member

Thanks Sylvia.

6. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Is this a relative of Sergei P.?

7. blancanieves

blancanieves Active Member

Yes, it's Sergei and Marina's son.

8. OrioleBeagle

OrioleBeagle Active Member

Does anyone know anything more about Ross Gudis and Kyle McMillan's new Russian partners?

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I couldn't find any recent international results for Diana Avaz (Ross Gudis' new partner?); I found this November 2012 competition video for Alisa RAIKOVSKAIA (Kyle MacMillan's new partner?) / Daniil ZVORYKIN (RUS) - Basic Junior (non ISU) Free Dance at NRW Trophy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjVgNWorcbg
    ETA: Diana Avaz / Yaroslav Kurbakov competed together in 2010 in Russian comps.

Since both new teams are training in Wheaton, Maryland, I am assuming they will compete in the U.S. this season -- an early goal, if they perform well at the Chesapeake Open, would be to be considered for the International Selection Pool (ditto for the other new Junior teams registered for Chesapeake).

Re-posting from the 2013/14 news thread... I noticed that the Gamelin twins, Danielle and Alexander (12th in Senior Dance at Nationals), switched from the Wheaton ISA to the Shpilband group this spring: http://icetwins.com/main/ourteam.html

ETA #2:
    Here's the thread that was started in the Trash Can in November 2012: Marina Klimova & Sergei Ponomarenko's son

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  10. OrioleBeagle

Thanks!

11. azcalder

azcalder Member

I was curious about Anthony Ponomarenko's Canadian partner, so contacted a friend at Skate Canada. "In 2012/2013 Christina skated with Simon-Pierre Malette-Paquette. They represented Quebec at the 2013 Canadian Tire National Skating Championships and placed 5th in novice ice dance. She is currently registered as a skater at CPA Laval. (Club de Patinage Artistique) She was not listed for 2013/2014."

Also, since Igor S. is listed as their coach, are we to assume that Marina is spending time in Novi, MI again this year. I can't imagine a 12 year old living there without a parent.

12. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

^^^ Or it's possible Anthony Ponomarenko, who turned 13 in January, is living with a host family in MI.

Re-posting from this past season's U.S. dance thread:
    Is anyone attending the 2014 Edward G. Picken Dance Classic (Friday, June 6 - Saturday, June 7) in Ashburn, VA? The Junior Free Dance is scheduled for Saturday at 9:20 AM and the 5 registered teams are:

Diana Avaz, Foreign skater / Ross Gudis, Washington FSC
    Gigi & Luca Becker, Washington FSC
    Julia Biechler, SC of Wilmington (DE) / Damian Dodge, Peninsula SC (in USFS' ISP)
    Gwen Sletten, Foreign skater / Elliot Verburg, Foreign skater (GBR is my hearsay info)
    Rebecca Lucas, Foreign skater / Timerlan Yerzhanov (AZE is my hearsay info)

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  13. AKA

AKA Member

Loved their potential! Great kid from a great family...any reason why a Canadian partner?

14. OrioleBeagle

delete

15. OrioleBeagle

After watching YouTube videos of both Kyle and Alisa, I think that they will look good together. They are both elegant skaters.

With both the Gamelins, and Eliana Pogrebinsky having moved to Michigan, I am wondering which Wheaton team (or skater) will be the next to make the move.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  16. OlieRow

OlieRow Well-Known Member

Both the Gamelin's and Pogrebinsky relocated to Wheaton. I think most of the other top Wheaton teams were either some of the group's original skaters (the Parsons, McNamara, Carpenter, McMillan) or started dancing there. Not saying they won't eventually leave, but they'd have to leave home to do it. I'd guess it'd be either Parsons or McNamara/Carpenter although the Wheaton teams have always been in direct competition so maybe its not an issue. The group had had a lot of success as juniors but are relatively untested in the senior ranks. They may lose teams at that point.

17. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Wheaton ISA has yet to update their website for the new season; AFAIK, these are their current teams:

JUNIOR (7): McNamara/Carpenter, Parsons/Parsons, Avaz/Gudis (new), Raikovskaia/MacMillan (new), Becker/Becker, Gropman/Somerville, G. Sletten/Verburg
    NOVICE (2): Gunter/Wein, Green/Green
    JUVENILE (4): Tkachenko/Kiliakov, Lin/M. Sletten, Soldatova/Soldatov, Cain/Davydov (new)

18. icemusings

icemusings Member

Sletten and Verburg switched countries? They've been competing for the US up to this point.

19. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

20. suki

suki Member

Will they skate for the US or Canada?

21. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Christina Carreira is registered to compete at Chesapeake Open as a member of the Skating Club of Novi (Michigan) so I assume US... but we won't know for sure unless/until they are added to USFS' International Selection Pool.

22. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Based on their registration for the Chesapeake Open, it appears they are going to skate for the U.S. As Sylvia noted, based on Sletten/Verburg's registration (instead of a U.S. club, they are listed as "foreign skater"), they appear to be skating for another country. I'm surprised they would switch now when she's not even old enough for JGP, but I guess they have their reasons.

23. suki

suki Member

Thanks Sylvia and Debbie S. I think Anthony P is already divine, and I hope he continues to progress. Of course, I am a huge fan of his parents so my opinion may be somewhat biased. By the way, he has a brother Timothy, I believe. Does anyone know if skates competitively?

24. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

No. He's 16 and a competitive swimmer.

25. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Maybe to get the formalities out of the way and to never be beholden to USFS's release policy?

26. CoralReef

CoralReef Member

Interesting changes going on in the offseason. Couldn't find anything official but did Anastasia Cannuscio/Colin McManus make coaching changes this year and are Holly Moore/Daniel Klaber still competing? Just saw some tweets that had me questioning.

27. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I heard they're training in Montreal for one month (with Dubreuil and Lauzon, I believe?) - both have tweeted about being in Montreal now.

I was recently sent this link that shows Christina Carreira (Antony Ponomarenko's new partner) turned 14 in April: http://tracings.net/carr-male.html
    (I had read a 2013 article that mistakenly stated she was older than she was.)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  28. dancergrl

dancergrl Member

Cannuscio/McManus are in Montreal for choreography.
    Moore/Klaber made a coach change to Shpilband and are competing this season.

29. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

Oh, that's cool. I like them. Are they still junior?

30. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Moore/Klaber (he turned 20 in March and she will still be 18 as of July 1st) now have the option of returning to the JGP this fall - posted yesterday in the ISU Congress news thread:
    ETA that Jean-Luc Baker turned 20 last October so he and Kaitlin Hawayek, 17, technically are ISU Junior age-eligible one more season as well, but I assume they are moving up to Senior, both nationally and internationally.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014