U.S. Ice Dance 2011-12 Season

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I can't think of a creative title for a general U.S. ice dance discussion thread, so this will have to do for now.

Since there's a general discussion thread for the other 3 U.S. disciplines here in the Trash Can, I figured one for dance was needed as well. ;)

Some numbers to look at...

Best International Scores - Senior
    178.07 Meryl Davis/Charlie White (Skate America, 1st; Russia next)
    151.85 Maia Shibutani/Alex Shibutani (NHK, 1st; 148.40 Cup of China, 2nd)
    139.01 Madison Hubbell/Zachary Donohue (Nebelhorn, 1st; 131.04 Skate America, 6th)
    136.88 Madison Chock/Evan Bates (Finlandia; 135.10 Skate Canada, 4th; 130.94 TEB, 5th)
    138.07 Lynn Kriengkrairut/Logan Giulietti-Schmitt (Ice Challenge, 1st; 126.39 NHK Trophy, 6th)
    134.88 Isabella Cannuscio/Ian Lorello (Ice Challenge, 2nd; 115.22 Skate America. 7th)
    119.42 Anastasia Olson/Jordan Cowan (Nebelhorn, 6th)
    109.68 Anastasia Cannuscio/Colin McManus (Ondrej Nepela, 5th)
    109.61 Charlotte Lichtman/Dean Copely (Cup of China, 7th)
    106.74 Emily Samuelson/Todd Gilles (Cup of China, 8th)

U.S. Sectional Scores - Senior
    140.96 Madison Hubbell/Zachary Donohue M1
    136.86 Emily Samuelson/Todd Gilles P1
    132.67 Anastasia Olson/Jordan Cowan P2
    129.80 Isabella Cannuscio/Ian Lorello E1
    126.92 Anastasia Cannuscio//Colin McManus E2
    122.10 Charlotte Lichtman/Dean Copely P3
    114.50 Ginna Hoptman/Pavel Filchenkov E3
    111.43 Shannon Wingle/Timothy McKernan M3
    110.70 Brittany Schmucker/Adam Munday P4
    107.84 Kristen Nardozzi/Nick Traxler P5
    100.23 Meredith Zuber/Kyle Herring E4
    85.54 Carina Glastris/Kevin Allison M4
    70.93 Janine Halstead/Robert Knopf P6
    WD Katherine Pilgrim/Alexander Lorello P

JGP Dance Scores
    136.85 Alexandra Aldridge/Daniel Eaton (Austria, 2nd; JGP Final next)
    129.63 Lauri Bonacorsi/Travis Mager (Italy, 3rd)
    115.12 Kaitlin Hawayek/Michael Bramante (Romania, 4th)
    107.97 Rachel Parsons/Michael Parsons (Poland, 9th)
    104.72 Madeline Heritage/Nathaniel Fast (Australia, 5th)
    103.49 Jessica Mancini/Tyler Brooks (Poland, 10th)
    94.78 Danielle Gamelin/Alexander Gamelin (Latvia, 9th)

U.S. Sectional Scores - Junior
    123.66 Lauri Bonacorsi/Travis Mager E1
    115.13 Elliana Pogrebinsky/Ross Gudis P1
    114.57 Madeline Heritage/Nathaniel Fast P2
    114.47 Amanda Bertsch/Sam Kaplun M1
    113.39 Rachel Parsons/Michael Parsons E2
    113.23 Kaitlin Hawayek/Michael Bramante M2
    110.82 Lorraine McNamara/Quinn Carpenter E3
    104.75 Roxette Howe/Mark Jahke P3
    103.01 Danielle Gamelin/Alexander Gamelin E4
    100.70 Jessica Mancini/Tyler Brooks M3
    93.96 Vu Pham/Danvi Pham E5
    87.26 Cassandra Jeandell/Damian Dodge P4
    82.70 Jenna Dzierzanowski/Vinny Dispenza M4
    72.26 Elicia Reynolds/Stephen Reynolds E6
    55.46 Kristie Baer/Oliver Asbury P5

U.S. Sectional Scores - Novice
    98.75 Whitney Miller/Kyle MacMillan E1
    95.46 Holly Moore/Daniel Klaber M1
    94.16 Hannah Rosinski/Jacob Jaffe M2
    92.84 Chloe Lewis/Logan Bye P1
    87.42 Stacey Siddon/Jared Weiss P2
    83.08 Madison George/Brad Kleffman M3
    80.83 Sierra Chadwick/Alexander Martin M4
    77.75 Hannah Pfeifer/Grant Lorello P3
    76.60 Lauren Leonesio/Dustin Perini P4
    76.24 Rebecca Lucas/Yan Kazansky E2
    71.66 Meara Lorello/William Dean E3
    66.59 Rebekah Schneider-Farris/Joel Schneider-Farris M5
    65.43 Anna Li/Tyler Vollmer P5
    59.03 Tory Patsis/Garrett Kling M6
    57.28 Hannah Hunt/JoeBen Wilson P6
    53.84 Karen Tong/David Cruikshank E4
    49.87 Elizabeth Colby/Cody Lithco P7

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  2. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Nice title Sylvia! If only you had asked for suggestions... ;) :p

I thought L/C would have higher scores this season. I certainly didn't expect such a new team to pass them at Sectionals. I haven't read any reports about their performances there.

3. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I think L/C have pretty terrible programs this year. I wonder who Igor will pair Charlotte up with after this season. :lol:

4. Pretty Vegas

Pretty Vegas Well-Known Member

I'm happy to see that S/G did well at Sectionals! Their scores were definitely much-improved from Cup of China.

5. CoralReef

CoralReef Member

30 point improvement for S/G in just two weeks time. That has got to be some kind of a record. After Cup of China, I was afraid that they may not even make the final group in San Jose, but after sectionals, it seems very possible for them to be 3rd or 4th.

Tough year so far for L/C. I think the comical, exhibition like programs they had in the past just aren't working for them at senior. I was hoping they would show something new and was excited when I read they did Dark Eyes at Lake Placid. Guess it just didn't feel right to them though and it got scrapped. I know a lot of people on the GP threads were talking about the lack of height difference, which didn't seem to be a problem until they hit senior. It's too bad.

6. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I noted in the S/G thread that "Happy to Be Stuck with You" could be a delightfully ironic thread title, given all the nasty breakups this past spring.

7. mineko

mineko New Member

Just to look at the scores make it pretty obvious about the US dance team pecking order at nationals:

1. D/W - 178.07 (Skate America);
    2. the Shibs - 151.85 (NHK Trophy); and
    3. Rest of the pack at around 130s.

In fact, there are four teams that earned 130s at international competitions. They are:
    3a. 139.01 Hubbell/Donohue (Nebelhorn, 1st; 131.04 Skate America, 6th)
    3b. 136.88 Chock/Bates (Finlandia; 135.10 Skate Canada, 4th; 130.94 TEB, 5th)
    3c. 138.07 Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt (Ice Challenge, 1st; 126.39 NHK Trophy, 6th)
    3d. 134.88 Cannuscio/Lorello (Ice Challenge, 2nd; 115.22 Skate America. 7th)

Two other teams earned 130s at sectionals. They are:
    3e. 136.86 Emily Samuelson/Todd Gilles P1
    3f. 132.67 Anastasia Olson/Jordan Cowan P2.

To sum it all up, we have the gold and the silver pretty much expected to go to the top two teams, and the real dog fight for the bronze among more or less six teams I stated above.

Boy, I can't wait for nationals. Don't you?;)

8. galinda

galinda New Member

I think H/D are really hot! They remind me of some of the teams of a couple years ago with all of their power and great chemistry. They have a great commercial look that would appeal to the casual skating fans.

9. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I wish K/G-S would get bronze at US Nats but I have a feeling it's going to go to Chock/Bates..

10. mineko

mineko New Member

I'm afraid that you might be right. I am, however, rooting for Hubbell/Donohue.

11. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I really hope Lynn and Logan can somehow get the bronze at Nationals, but it's really a long shot at this point. Mistakes can happen, I guess, and Madison Chock is a notoriously headcasey skater. H/D are looking strong tho.

12. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

The run at the 3d spot for Worlds is going to be quite something to watch at Nats

Maybe the USFSA can send whichever team(s) loses out to 4CCs, just to 'spread the wealth' and give them a shot at another intl. comp., since so many of those teams gunning for 3d are roughly equal in ability to one another.

13. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

She is? I haven't noticed that, at least in the past couple of seasons. She's seemed pretty consistent in comps. Her falls in their GPs this season were because Evan tripped/bumped into her. :confused:

14. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I wouldn't label Madison Chock as a "headcasey" skater, either, much less a "notorious" one. I've watched her since juniors and she never seems nervous to me, in fact, I think her expression is usually pretty good.

15. Conga

Conga New Member

I agree with both of these comments!

16. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Well in the Chock/Zuerlin pairing, she made the big mistakes in competitions. I agree that the mistakes this fall have been Evan's fault.

17. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

For those waiting to watch the Pacific Coast Sectional Senior free dances, they're up on IN now (Samuelson/Gilles, Olson/Cowan, Lichtman/Copely, Schmucker/Munday are the 4 teams that qualified for Nationals).

18. mineko

mineko New Member

Thanks for the info, Sylvia. ;)

19. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Just watched the senior PACS FDs. Emily and Todd looked wonderful. Still a lot of work to be done, but I see SO much potential. They sold that free dance like they'd been skating it for years and the audience ate it up. I'm so excited about them!

I LOVE watching Todd skate. He's so into every step of the program and goes for it with the facial expressions as much as Emily, if not more.

20. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Really not fond of their music, but it's fun to see Emily rocking it out after being stuck with schlocky music the last several seasons. And her dress is gorgeous, and they look like they're having a TON of fun.

21. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Where did you saw S-G PACS FD?

22. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I posted on the previous page: "For those waiting to watch the Pacific Coast Sectional Senior free dances, they're up on IN now."
    IN = IceNetwork (for Season Pass subscribers).

AJ Skatefan and (deleted member) like this.
  23. hlp728

hlp728 Active Member

Totally agree!!! Their FD at PACS performance wise was amazing. Todd and Emily have a great connection and chemistry. Emily blogged about Sectionals in her facebook page. They changed their rotational lift and now Emily does a like a forward facing split if that makes sense. Also, they removed that illegal move that caused the deduction at Cup of China.

For their SD they used different costumes, but ones they have used before I think. Emily wore the blue dress she used at the Olympics for the Paso Compulsory Dance. I liked them in black but not the black costumes they used at Cup of China.

24. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Yes, she wore her Olympic compulsory dress for the SD. It was a much better costume than CoC. Todd and Emily both looked a lot fitter to me at Sectionals than they did only two weeks earlier. The new rotational lift in the FD was very cool and their twizzles were pretty damn good for a new team. The version of Stairway to Heavan they are using is pretty awful, but about halfway through the dance they made me forget how much I hated it. They just smiled through the whole dance, like they were having the best time. Totally dynamic and genuine.

Lichtman/Copely are really struggling this year. They really finished a distant third at PACs. I noticed it before this season, but this year he really looks totally pissed off 100% of the time.

25. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I was so impressed with the improvement already in Todd and Emily. They seem so connected and I was really pleased with their unison. I have always enjoyed them both and now that they are a team, I'm very excited to see how far they go. I agree that they seemed so genuine. Loved it!

Lichtman/Copely I feel bad for. I know they are trying but they just aren't coming across this year as they have in the past. All I could think of while watching them skate was how unmatched they looked. Sadly, she is just too tall now for him and they just look odd out there. Whether we like it or not, aesthetics do matter in figure skating. When you pair a team up young, you never know how things will turn out as they grow up. Sometimes you luck out, sometimes you don't.

26. Conga

Conga New Member

Yes, and even though I think they will grow on me as a team, that just seemed so wrong. :confused:

27. hlp728

hlp728 Active Member

For some reason, Emily and Todd's FD performace at PACs made me think of Kim and Brett at the 2006 Nationals. Both teams looked liked they were just so happy to be skating and that joy just seemed to so contagious.

There is such a cute photo of Emily and Todd on this blog.

As far as their FD music, it's Mary J. Blige accompanied by Randy Jackson (American Idol Judge) on bass, Travis Barker on drums, and Stevie Vai and Orianthi on guitar.

28. Conga

Conga New Member

Don't get me wrong. I'm happy they're happy. It's just that smiling through Stairway to Heaven seems wrong.

29. hlp728

hlp728 Active Member

I guess it depends on one's interpretation of the song. To me, the song is about a spiritual journey towards enlightment, so the smiling works for me.:)

30. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

They are up on icenetwork.com. You can view them if you have a subscription. :)