U.S. FS launches Solo Dance

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by skamper23, Jan 14, 2011.

1. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

There already are some competitions like that for adult skaters. They are ISU events even.

In the US, we call that Theater on Ice.

Ozzisk8tr and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Oh yea, that bit about the parents is ringing bells.

3. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Caydee

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00011450.htm

I'm assuming she swapped over at age 10, then ;)

4. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Yes I know. I have friends who go to Obertsdorf and some of the European events. But they are not world championships, they are international events that welcome skaters from many countries. You don't have to go through qualification in your country to earn the right to compete. But the event is sanctioned by the ISU.

5. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I agree gkelly - I'm really excited about this! It will give me something to keep working on when I'm done with my MIF tests, instead of giving up because I can't do triple jumps. It's not realistic to expect people to find partners in order to dance so this is something I really support. Look at dancing on a stage - lots of people do it solo and become really good at it - why not ice skating?

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  6. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

I competed at the inaugural Solo Dance event at US Adult Nationals 2 years ago. Those ladiez very competitive (meaning excellent dancers). This was while Gold Pairs was on in the other rink, the winner damn near got a standing ovation for the choctaw in the Blues. It was a thing of beauty!

7. DreamSkates

DreamSkates Active Member

Could be interesting.

8. Bunny Hop

Bunny Hop Perpetually learning Dutch Waltz

Solo dance doesn't just consist of compulsories though. I have no idea about other countries, but in the UK they have solo free dance as well - spinning is allowed, just not jumping. The free dances are made up of footwork and spins.

And I completely agree about the Rhythm Blues - the cross behinds are evil.

9. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Roller solo dance comp at worlds is two compulsories and a 2:30 solo freedance.
    Last years compulsories were the Argentine Tango and the Paso Doble. Freedance must have at least one but no more than two three revolution spins (no more than three, which is a real problem as it should be more rotations) and at least one single revolution jump. You get some really interesting jumps happening (L.O.F to L.O.F. loop jumps, walleys, pat lowe's).
    There are also a diagonal step sequence and a straightline step sequence.
    The hardest thing about solo freedance is to create a mood with one person. When there's two people it's easier to create conflict. I suppose you could always do a solo freedance based on Sybil... :shuffle:

10. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

If you look at the announcement linked at the page linked in the first post of this thread, though, there doesn't seem to be an immediate plan to include solo OD/SD or free dance in the US solo dance series and championship.

I believe Lake Placid has had solo events OD events the last year or two, so eventually there may be enough events that offer it to work into the championship. I hope that will be the case. But it's not yet an established discipline in the US.

11. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

I do hope it develops on ice as it has on roller. It will take time but all things have to progress. It has been a great financial gain for the roller federation (as has show groups, with a recent Showgroup competition in Europe having over 1000 competitors :eek:). You really get to see some amazing skaters with incredible skills, both technical and performance wise. They just don't jump or spin.

12. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

There is a coach in Brisbane, Australia who has worked really hard to get acceptance of solo dance into the rulebook. She teaches quite a few solo dancers along with another coach I know in Sydney. So it is growing.

From a judging perspective, it also gives someone like myself the opportunity to judge more ice dance in competition. Because we don't have enough couples, even though it is growing very very slowly.

And here in Melbourne with a lot of adults taking up the sport, it might provide opportunities for those who don't like to jump and spin.

13. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Are there no dance spins in solo dance, in the FD?

14. Sk8swan

Sk8swan Well-Known Member

Finding this thread a bit late I guess :p but adding my 2 cent about rollerskating considering what have been discussed here so far.

1. Artistic Roller Skating will never become an Olympic sport I'm afraid: it's not spread worldwide enough and it's not helping that one nation (Italy) is basically winning everything at world level (imagine what would be the influence on medal count in the Olympic contest...); I'm not the only one saying it (I'm just a former rollerskater but low level one!) also champions in the sport think this (that's why some decided to give ice skating a try).
    2. The pair who switched to the ice you were thinking about is Marika Zanforlin & Federico Degli Esposti, 4-time world roller skating pair champions. They switched to the ice in 2007 with the dream of competing in the Olympics. They managed to get the spot for Italy at the 2010 Olympics but couldn't compete there in the end because of several unfortunate circumstances (like him getting bronchitis just before Euros, the competition which should have decided the pair to be sent in Vancouver and which forced them to withdraw). For those interesting in their unique story you can check their website: http://deglizan.ucoz.com/index.htm. They decided to end their competitive career last year when they were at their pick imo. Here's their long program at 2010 Italian Nationals http://www.megavideo.com/?v=W7XOUOY5 (impressive what they managed to achieved in such a short amount of time considering that they've also been working regular jobs and never committed to the sport full-time!). Now they're coaching both on rollers and on the ice and doing exhibitions in both sports :)
    3. As for solo-dance here are the performances of 2010-2011 World champion (a girl from my former club btw :)) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3utvSB0EkA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQGU5B2hQRM
    4. Showgroups are really BIG in Italy! National championships last about a week and there are hundreds of competitors attending! The level has gone sky-high in the last few years as former world-class skaters join the groups once they are done with their career as singles, pair or dances skaters. Also the best coreographers are joining in to create the programs for the best groups. I was totally amazed at some performances as the latest Ita nationals! Just look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_osbJmR8B4 (too bad the camera angle is awful and you can't see close-ups because their expression was just stunning!) Btw the euro champs for synchro and showgroups are taking place in Portugal just this weekend :)

15. Sk8swan

Sk8swan Well-Known Member

Youtube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VEY-CzRUNo