Two survival story movies- 127 hours and The way back home

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Vash01, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Coincidentally I saw these two survival movies back to back this weekend. The theatre was nearly empty for both (about 7 for 127 hrs and 5 people for TWBH). Both were good movies. I wonder why they did so poorly at the box office? Poor marketing or people just don't like those types of movies?

'The way back home' has wonderful cinematography, original score, good acting, and really fascinating story. It was supposed to be a true story but I read today that it was not. The writer had pretended that it was. Still it was a good movie, and I would have liked to see it get a better reception.

'127 hours' is better known because of James Franco's Oscar nomination (and other awards noms). This one did get a bit boring for me, although it's a very well made movie. This one is definitely based on a true story.

I want to rent the DVD of the movie 'Alive' while I am at it- about survival :lol:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I remember Alive, I was fascinated by that movie as a child. I know it is grotesque but I was :eek: that they
    ate the deceased to survive.

I want to see 127 hours. Do they
    show much when THE moment occurs where he has to amputate his arm?
    I wondered if it was goorey or if they tiptoe around it and let the audience use their imagination. I spoiler coded that just in case someone doesn't know the story.

3. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I saw Alive as 8 year old the day a few days before flying. I don't think I slept at all for days. I don't know what my parents were thinking letting me watch that :yikes:

4. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Alive. One of my favorite survival movies (although some of the acting is a little over the top). Poor choice of words, but the story is just amazing to me. If you get Cinemax its in the cycle now. I've watched it at least 15-20 times the last two months. Whenever I'm flipping and its on, I stop.

If you get the History Channel, they did a docu with the actual survivors telling the story. You should try to catch it; it makes it even more "how the hell did they survive" than the movie when you hear them tell the story. It was just on maybe last week again, so maybe you can scan ahead to see if its repeated soon.

I definitely want to see 127 Hours too. When the real Aron Ralston was on Letterman's show shortly after the accident, that was the most powerful interview I had ever seen. I was sitting there bawling ... at an interview on Letterman! You should see if you can find that and watch it.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I closed my eyes when they started showing that part. I don't think it was gory, compared to some of the stuff they show in the movies. I am rather weak watching such scenes, so I close my eyes during those.

It's an amazing story, and there is a lot to learn from it. The most important thing is always let someone know where you are going.

6. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

My coworker saw it (she's not squeamish) and said they show everything. In closeup at times. In detail. Several people at her screening got sick. :lol:

I've heard it's really gnarly when he pulls out his ulnar nerve, but my coworker got a little squicked when he had to break his own arm in two places. It's apparently very loud.

She LOVED the movie, although my boss says he still can't get over how stupid the guy was for not telling anyone where he was going! :p

I'm a big wuss when it comes to gore (probably why it isn't doing too hot at the box office) and it'll probably be a DVD rental for me, so I can make the video player really really small when that moment comes up. :lol: